The Cute Animal Pics/Videos Thread

Caya

I would say it rains too much for that, but since it's freakishly not raining in most of the country it might work. 

I saw a sculpture made from traffic cones once, does that count?

Okay, I just have one question: HOW?! Seriously, I can't even succeed at preventing my cat from eating my food, play with the yarn when I ment my clothes and scratching the furniture. Just look at it!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pseudonym said:

I love them too, though I hate magpies. 

We don't have magpies here, and they're such beautiful birds that we really enjoy seeing them when we visit the UK (Alex takes pictures of them).  I might not be so keen on them if they were common here -- but then again I like pretty much all birds, including "nuisance" species like starlings.

Magpies are just nasty. I hate seagulls too, especially when you dare to eat near them. 

Do you have hummingbirds where you are? I'd love to see one of those. 

Yup, we have the ruby-throated hummingbirds here (and in most of the US).  West of the Rocky Mountains they have numerous other species -- but no ruby-throats.

Mom and my brother (who live next door to each other) have hummingbird feeders that they fill with sugar water.  Alex and I have loads of trumpet vine (Campsis radicans) growing wild in our meadow, which both hummingbirds and orioles like, and we'd like to plant some other things for them.

Next time you're over this way, please stop by, and we can sit on Mom's front porch and chat while we watch for hummingbirds.

• Like 1

We can debate Yogi Bear's voice while we wait, lol. 

I saw a robin this morning, don't see many of them in the summer.

3 hours ago, Pseudonym said:

I saw a robin this morning, don't see many of them in the summer.

I'd love to see one of your robins, but never have -- maybe because we come over in the summer.  What time of year do they tend to be around?  And where do they go the rest of the year?

They are resident all year around, but I never seem to see them much in summer. Maybe it's just that they stand out a bit more when it's grey and grim out. 

• Thanks 1

Just found something a bit disturbing, I was looking up herons to see if they are having a resurgence since I've seen a lot recently, and I found out they like to eat duckings. 😱

• Sad 1

Me too.  I guess their definition of "fish" is "anything that swims and is small enough to swallow."

What species of herons do you have over there?  We mostly have the great blue around here.

It's like blue cats and dogs, always just grey, though I suppose there is a tinge. My cat is lilac point, and though really it's a brownish grey I suppose there is a slightly lilac hint. I can tell the difference between a lilac point and a blue point so there must be something. 

I always struggle to put my finger on the actual colour of weimaraners. Sort of silvery beige...?

15680532569_eda0d452b7_b.jpg

I love them, but knowing the energy my doberman had, and given they're about the same size, I don't think I could handle it! If I ever got a dog again, which is unlikely, it'd be something little. That way if I ever get threatened by a herd of cows whilst walking I can do this as I run:

giphy.gif

Are cow tramplings a thing in your country or is it so huge there's not so much interaction?