Carol the Dabbler

Harry Potter + other JK Rowling

There's been a good bit of talk on various threads about the Harry Potter universe, but there didn't seem to be a dedicated thread -- until now.  :D

Just ran across a Potter quiz on RadioTimes, basically a "which House do you belong in" questionnaire.

53243.jpg

I'll be back to let you know where I end up!

*sigh* I don't know why I even tried that :P.

hwdLrza.jpg

It's a wonder they never cast me out of W.I.K.T.T., really :D.

Poor Martina -- stuck in Gryffindor again?  (Well, Hermione's a Gryffindor too, so I see no reason why your fellow Hermione/Snape shippers should disown you.)

For the very first time (having done other quizzes of this kind), I have been declared a Ravenclaw!  (Guess that means I can keep the T-shirt I bought at Universal?)

I'm in Ravenclaw for the first time too. I have done a few other quizzes like that and always ended up in Gryffindor :)

I've usually been assigned to Hufflepuff -- except once it was Gryffindor, and now Ravenclaw.

I took the test even though I have never seen Harry Potter, which means I am really avoiding the chores.  Anyhoo I am a Ravenclaw.  ls that good or bad?  lol Since I trust the opinion of fellow Sherlock fans...are these really worth watching?

I doubt I speak for the majority, but I'm not too fond of them. The 3rd one and the last 2 are the best, imho. I read/watched them mostly because I felt obliged to keep up with the younger generation of my family. :)

I'm a Harry Potter fan so I really liked the movies. Of course books are much better so maybe you should try and read them first. The first two movies/books are mostly for kids but the rest of them are a bit darker and more for adults. 

Btw. Ravenclaw is good. It means you're highly intelligent :)

I took the test even though I have never seen Harry Potter, which means I am really avoiding the chores.  Anyhoo I am a Ravenclaw.  ls that good or bad?  lol Since I trust the opinion of fellow Sherlock fans...are these really worth watching?

I'm a Harry Potter fan so I really liked the movies. Of course books are much better so maybe you should try and read them first. The first two movies/books are mostly for kids but the rest of them are a bit darker and more for adults. 

Btw. Ravenclaw is good. It means you're highly intelligent :)

I second Janie's recommendation that you start with the books.  Even though the first one, in particular, has a lighter tone than the following books, it's not just for kids, and it's extremely well written.  The movies are good too, and I know that a lot of people skipped the books and went straight to the movies, so that's also an option.  In either case, if you don't care for the first one, at least you'll know.

I think the houses are generally rated (in descending order of relative desirability) as follows (and I'm also listing their defining characteristics):

1. Gryffindor (home of Harry, Ron, and Hermione) -- bravery

2. Ravenclaw (home of Luna Lovegood and otherwise largely ignored in the stories) -- intelligence

3. Hufflepuff -- loyalty

4. Slitherin -- ambition (and that's something of a euphemism)

(The Slytherins would, of course, rate the houses more or less the other way round.)  Martina tells me there are some fans who claim that Hufflepuff isn't actually the "dumping ground" it often appears to be (after all, who would knock loyalty?) -- and that the real "dumping ground" is Gryffindor ("bravery is the kindest word for stupidity, don't you think?").  Having generally been assigned to Hufflepuff myself by these quizzes, I'm starting to see the wisdom of that analysis.

I ended up in Ravenclaw too.

So is everybody a Ravenclaw (according to this quiz)?  Or is it just that Sherlock fans are a highly intelligent bunch?

Almost everyone -_-. But I guess the Sherlock fandom skews towards Ravenclaw.

Oops, sorry, Martina!  (But wasn't that your dog who was assigned to Gryffindor?  :P  )

Our dog would be the perfect Ravenclaw, actually - she's not only pretty smart but also convinced that she's the smartest being in the household. When Basic tries to signal to us that she'd like some of that duck that's currently in the oven and yet receives doggie chow in her bowl, you can see her look of exasperation, "Just how plain do I have to make it so that they finally get it?" :P

• Like 1

Hopefully you're at least intelligent enough to give her a bit of the duck for dessert!  ;)

Of course ... but if we only realized that she'd prefer the entire duck, she'd have a much easier life with her hard-to-train humans ;). Same with letting the door open at any weather - we just don't understand how tedious that is, having to open it every time she wants out :P.

I had heard some vague rumors, but here's an actual announcement from Variety:

WB Announces ... 3 'Harry Potter' Spinoffs....

The previously announced Harry Potter films, written by author J.K. Rowling, will begin in 2016 with a finale planned for 2020. Set in New York roughly seven decades before Harry Potter’s saga starts, “Fantastic Beasts” is based on the Hogwarts textbook of the same name and follows the adventures of its author, Newt Scamander.

"Set in New York"?  Rowling is finally admitting that there are American wizards?  (Or did they all die off over the intervening 70 years?)

Peter Jackson is doubtlessly thrilled with this news.  Now, any time someone criticizes him for making three big honkin' movies out of one medium-sized novel, he can point to this -- the real-life Fantastic Beasts & Where to Find Them (written by Rowling as a fundraiser for Comic Relief) has only 42 pages!

• Like 1

And there isn't any plot in it either, it's just that, a textbook - namely, descriptions of fantastic beasts and, well, where to find them.

As for American wizards, there was a delegation from the Salem Witches' Institute at the Quidditch world cup in book 4.

• Like 1

Apparently they -- or I should say Rowling -- have come up with a plot for the movies, based on the life of the book's supposed author.  So the book is basically just an excuse for what may turn out to be very good series of movies.  No Harry, Ron, or Hermione this time around, obviously, since the time is 70 years earlier.

Thanks for pointing out that reference to the Salem Witches' Institute -- which we're apparently supposed to realize is in the US, though that's not actually specified.  So maybe there were American witches and wizards at the time of the Harry Potter movies -- they just never came to Hogwarts or competed for the Quidditch World Cup.  (Maybe they were too busy playing Wizard Baseball or something.)

I would appear to be in Ravenclaw too, which knowing myself is no great surprise!

:)

According to that test, I'm a Gryffindor which really is a surprise. Usually I end up in Ravenclaw (and that's also the house I'd choose if I could choose). But now here I am: If ever you have the need of a noble heart and steely sinew, call upon Schlauer Fuchs :thumbsup:

• Like 2

I just took the quiz as well & ended up in Ravenclaw. Based on the description it is pretty accurate only I do get bored on occasion.

Why oh why can I never say no?

Well-meaning colleague of mine: "You're not looking well. You need something to cheer you up. Read some Harry Potter or something."

Me: "I don have any Harry Potter"

Colleague: "What? Have you seen the movies?"

Me: "No, I - "

Colleague: "Oh my god, you have to see Harry Potter! I'll lend you my DVDs."

Me: "I don't actually like -"

Colleague: "I'll bring them to work tomorrow. But I need them back before Christmas."

Me: "Um. Thanks. But - "

Colleague has already left.

Now I have 8 long films lying around that I "have to" watch before Dec 24th. And she asks me like every day how much I've seen yet and how I like it. And the problem is, I don't like Harry Potter. I read the first book, it did nothing for me, and I'm generally not interested in the character, or the story, or the hype. And I don't dare tell her so, because she thinks she's being so nice.

Gaaahhh. What do I do now. Okay. What does one usually say about Harry Potter? Any key scenes I could just skip to?

In #1 go to the scene where Hermione talks about "a bit of light reading" as she puts a large book on the table in the library.  then fast forward to where Harry, Ron, and Hermione work their way below "Fluffy" the 3-headed dog to the end. Also (fast fwd is an option here) watch the quidditch match.  #2 Ron & Harry flying the Weasley car on the way to Hogwarts; the poly juice potion incident in the girls loo; and when Harry, Ron and Prof. Lockheart go into the chamber from the girls loo. #3 The beginning up to when Harry starts heading to Hogwarts, dementors on the train shortly after maybe, on the way to magical creatures class when Neville tries to open his book, Hermione & Harry dealing with the Womping Willow, when Hermione & Harry time travel.  #4 the world quidditch match, then watch each of the events & the dance practice for the holiday ball, also when red & George try to trick the tri-cup into letting them enter the tournament.  #5 When Harry & Hermione lead Umbridge out to Gwap and Umbridge gets taken by the centaurs (feel free to fast fwd but look at all of the rules Umbridge made that get posted by Filch).  #6 The initial meeting of Prof. Slughorn, Harry & Ron poking fun at the first years & then getting sent down to potions through to the end of the potions class (feel free to watch the class mostly in fast fwd if you like), the quidditch tryouts (in fast fwd is fine after Ginny talks), Slughorn's holiday party where Harry is talking with McClegon and Snape shows up, Harry at the Weasley's house at Christmas.  #7.1 They are hunting horcruxes so it can mostly be fast fwd through.  1 good bit is on the train to Hogwarts.  Neville has a fun line.  #7.2 When Harry, Ron, & Hermione get into Hogwarts upto when Snape escapes & Slytherin is put in the dungeons.  McGongall telling Neville to set explosives on the winding bridge, Neville taunting the bad guys until the shield goes down, Molly calling Bellatrix a b**** (all of us in the theatre cheered at that point in the movie).  Touching moment is Harry seeing Snapes thoughts that were captured right before Snape passes.  The final battle between Harry and Voldemort.  Harry, Ron & Hermione dealing with Draco and friends in the room of requirement as it burns up.

Hope that helps (not sure which I have seen more, HP or Sherlock and I've seen HP a bunch of times).