You know your "Sherlock" obsession is bad when...

you are finishing brushing out your long tangley wavy wet hair (approximately 27") & your son asks you a question.  You turn around heading to the door of the room your in, to answer his question, and are all off kilter like Sherlock in SiB after he's back at Baker St & heard Ms. Adler.

When your friends tease you about Sherlock for a reaction. Last night a guy friend @ the bar said "hay, Jess I heard that they're canceling BBC Sherlock" I glare @ him & retorted "No they're not!" & topped it off by slapping his forearm.

I wouldn't even mind if they never made any more episodes. I'd rather have the show stop now than see it go bad at some point.

I guess your Sherlock obsession is also bad when you dread the next series because you fear it'll be ruined like so many other programs you started out liking...

• Like 4

Awww. Although I think ruined depends on our different personalities. Johnlocked, Sherlolly... Ruined for me, delightful to others. Darkness,mayhem & death, oh yes please! But apparently that would ruin it for others. The Motfiss' will continue to write it for themselves. Either we'll continue on that train ride with them to Cardiff or we'll get off @ the next stop.

• Like 2

I've bought the round trip ticket.....yay! I think it would take a whole lot of....really....I have no idea what it would take to spoil this for me....I really don't. And I am perfectly content, happy, over the moon about it. 

• Like 2

I've bought the round trip ticket.....yay! I think it would take a whole lot of....really....I have no idea what it would take to spoil this for me....I really don't. And I am perfectly content, happy, over the moon about it.

You going to London Fox!

I think she's talking about sticking with the show, Jess.  The trip wouldn't be till over a year from now.

And you'll have a long layover waiting for Series 4 after your stop at the Sherlock Special.

Oh, yeah, and your obsession's gotta be pretty bad if you whisper "I'm not obsessed, I'm just not a casual fan," to yourself at least five times a day.

• Like 2

Awww. Although I think ruined depends on our different personalities. Johnlocked, Sherlolly...

Yes, that would be an interesting research project: what does your preferred "ship" (or lack thereof) say about your personality? Is it somehow linked to those spooky MB types?

Also, what does it say about me, that I just hate these "two names one word" things?

I don't know, I don't want them to hook Sherlock up with anybody, but there is a whole range of characters where I say, all right, if they felt they couldn't let him be single, then fine. Just don't blow it up too much and do please spare me the intimate details.

A standing flirtation with Irene is perfectly fine by me. She's The Woman, and she's not dead, so that door is still wide open and I don't mind a bit. John is already so much beloved by Sherlock that it doesn't seem to make so much of a difference to add sex to their relationship, especially if it weren't shown, anyway. What do I care what goes on behind closed doors? Molly is a new character who isn't part of the original story anyway, so they can basically do whatever they like with her, and the actress is so amazing, I feel she and Mr C. could pull anything off. Janine I'd have a harder time with, but if Sherlock wanted to change his mind on the "just transport" front, I can easily imagine them as friends with benefits.

I'd still hugely prefer if they kept him single and celibate, but, to quote a good book I recently read, the world is not a wish-granting factory.

• Like 2

Yes, that would be an interesting research project: what does your preferred "ship" (or lack thereof) say about your personality? Is it somehow linked to those spooky MB types?

Also, what does it say about me, that I just hate these "two names one word" things?

Portmanteaus. They're called portmanteaus, the whole mashed-up-word thing. And the word 'portmanteau' is a portmanteau in itself. (Maybe there's something in my type that explains my wordiness. Today at school I dazzled my math class when I told them the difference between a mite and a mote. )

I do wonder about the whole ship-personality relation thing now. Maybe we should make a thread about it, because now I'm curious. (But then again, I'm curious about a lot. One time, as a social experiment, I came out to my science class as genderless but with a preference for she/her pronouns. Surprisingly, they didn't make a big deal about it!)

I don't know, I don't want them to hook Sherlock up with anybody, but there is a whole range of characters where I say, all right, if they felt they couldn't let him be single, then fine. Just don't blow it up too much and do please spare me the intimate details.

A standing flirtation with Irene is perfectly fine by me. She's The Woman, and she's not dead, so that door is still wide open and I don't mind a bit. John is already so much beloved by Sherlock that it doesn't seem to make so much of a difference to add sex to their relationship, especially if it weren't shown, anyway. What do I care what goes on behind closed doors?

Deep down, I don't think of Sherlock as someone who'd be all fluffy-romantic. Or, well, a romantic at all. He's not a cuddler, definitely not a huggy person, and a lot of the flirting directed towards him seems to go over his head altogether. Sherlock calls John a romantic because of the things John puts on his blog -- their life. John tells their stories while Sherlock writes monographs and (uninteresting) studies. Telling stories is a form of sentiment; nonfiction is cold and logical. The things people blog about are very telling of their personalities, even if they don't talk about themselves at all.

Deep down, I don't think of Sherlock as someone who'd be all fluffy-romantic. Or, well, a romantic at all. He's not a cuddler, definitely not a huggy person, and a lot of the flirting directed towards him seems to go over his head altogether. Sherlock calls John a romantic because of the things John puts on his blog -- their life. John tells their stories while Sherlock writes monographs and (uninteresting) studies. Telling stories is a form of sentiment; nonfiction is cold and logical. The things people blog about are very telling of their personalities, even if they don't talk about themselves at all.

I think that, ironically, Sherlock is a much more romantic type than John, at least if you use "romantic" in a broader sense (I mean it the way John means "drama queen", or, as I think Mr Moffat put it once, Sherlock has "the heart of a poet"). It's a good thing he's not real and therefore cannot come over here and kill me for saying so, but Sherlock seems terribly sentimental to me at heart, too. Just listen to the music he writes.

• Like 1

Sherlock definitely has a sentimental side.  The music that he "composes" is very beautiful.  If I could do another first dance as husband and wife, I would so want the waltz from TSOT.

Sherlock definitely has a sentimental side.  The music that he "composes" is very beautiful.  If I could do another first dance as husband and wife, I would so want the waltz from TSOT.

This reminds me that another proof of how bad my Sherlock obsession has become, is that I seriously considered doing just that. But it seemed unfair to my husband, who is definitely not a fan, and besides, I don't quite know if John and Mary are really the perfect couple to evoke if you want a good marriage...

• Like 1

At least John decided he was willing to keep Mary despite her secrets which were going to remain her secrets (unless they happen to pop up in some future episode just because Moftiss decides to do that to us & John).  John shows some good qualities when he decides he's going to love Mary anyhow.  She does seem to genuinely love him, the one thing that wasn't a lie about their relationship.

You're not the only one who hates those portmanteau words, T.o.b.y -- I don't exactly love 'em myself, but Aely started a whole thread a while back, about why she despises them!

I think portmanteau names are okay, because the good and bad are about even to me -- Pros include that it's more convenient to say 'Johnlock' instead of 'John and Sherlock as a couple', cons being that they're awkward to say in real life.

She does seem to genuinely love him, the one thing that wasn't a lie about their relationship.

I second that, at any rate, while I don't necessarily agree with the rest of your post.

But in this case, I think you got the intent of the writers better than I did. I think they meant it the way you say, but it irritates me to no end, thus further proving that I think way too much about this series. Way too much. I mean, the line about Mary being "supposed to be" a certain way still bothers me. I certainly do not want to be married for the sake of an ideal my husband might have about womanhood or wifehood or just me personally. I want to be loved for my own flawed goddamn self. To be fair, though, my job does not include shooting people, and he has always known my real name, so maybe I'm being a bit hard on John. But still. "She wasn't supposed to be that way". Well, sorry, feller! And I still don't think it's really a solution to the problem to just ignore whatever she's not supposed to be and reduce her to "Mrs Watson".

But, but, but, I know that was probably not the intention of whoever wrote those lines at all, I do realize that. It's just one of the rare instances where the script simply does not work for me.

Blame the writing on Moffat.  He got an Emmy for that episode.

Blame the writing on Moffat.  He got an Emmy for that episode.

... and in all, very deservedly so. It's a brilliant 90 minutes, and besides, he should have gotten one years ago for A Study in Pink.

Nah, I blame my own brain. It obviously has issues, and they are not necessarily Mr Moffat's fault.

I'm glad the scene seems to work for most people, and as it's not exactly a crucial one, I'm not going to get upset about it. At the end of the day, I'd rather John and Mary were happy than any alternative, so... Fine. (Still don't like it, though, and still a bit annoyed with John. In fact, I'm a bit annoyed with him throughout series 3, but I don't quite know why. Strange.)

I was looking up something Sherlock related on Amazon when I happened upon the soundtracks for all 3 series.  I listened to the preview of all the tracks & read all the track titles.  When I got to Series 2 & saw track 18's title, I almost lost it :(.  Thinking about it my eyes are watering up.  Moftiss is the bane of my emotional state's existence. <_< And it's just a show with fictional characters. *pictures herself running around screaming like Kevin in Home Alone*

• Like 2

Yeep, I'm so glad you brought that up, I have Itunes credits and was going to use them to buy some of the soundtrack music. And I FORGOT!!!!!?!!? What kind of fan am I? :D

• Like 1

I'm not usually a fan of sound-track albums, but Alex wanted the Sherlock ones, and I thought how bad can they be?  But they're really good -- I just wish they had longer versions of some of the themes, like "The Game Is On."

Hmm, Series 2, Track 18 -- oh!  *whimper*

"Blood on the Pavement"

I'm not usually a fan of sound-track albums, but Alex wanted the Sherlock ones, and I thought how bad can they be?  But they're really good -- I just wish they had longer versions of some of the themes, like "The Game Is On."

Hmm, Series 2, Track 18 -- oh!  *whimper*

"Blood on the Pavement"

I agree with wanting longer versions of at least some of the songs.  For me one of them would be the Waltz for John and Mary. And definitely a *whimper* for the same one as you Carol.

• Like 1

Yeep, I'm so glad you brought that up, I have Itunes credits and was going to use them to buy some of the soundtrack music. And I FORGOT!!!!!?!!? What kind of fan am I? :D

What kind of fan...?  One who forgot to put that info in her mind palace ;)

• Like 1