Mycroft Holmes

SherlockedCAMPer

It didn't occur to me before now, but looking at Mycroft's face in those gifs makes me think he's jealous of Sherlock -- the cuter younger sibling who (quite literally, now) gets away with murder. Whereas Mycroft probably feels like he's always been held to a higher standard, and it's not fair. That's what my older siblings used to tell me, at any rate (altho I don't recall ever committing murder...) The difference is, we grew up. :P

• Like 4

Oh -- you were one of those little brats who could get away with stuff by acting cute, huh?   :P   While we older-and-wiser siblings were held accountable for every little thing:angry:

• Like 1

Darn straight!!!!!! Plus, one little whine from me, and it was my older siblings, who should've known better, who got in trouble. Besides, something had to make up for the fact that they got to go rafting on the River Kwai and I didn't because I was too small. *Pout.* And don't think I've ever let them forget that, either....

• Like 2

My older sister used to get in trouble for the problems I caused because I was quick at it.  She couldn't use the loo without me causing some sort of mess in under 30 seconds when she was watching me.  I dumped red snap line chalk on my dad's white desk as a tyke.

It is possible that Mycroft had similar issues when Sherlock was little.

• Like 2

Sometimes I wonder if Sherlock's jabs are meant to imply Mycroft is gay?  (Not that there's anything wrong with that.  Cue Seinfeld music)  With his comment about being there to "see the Queen" being directed at Mycroft and then his comment about never having spoken to "a woman" I wonder.   We know that Sherlock has no actual problem with anyone being gay ("I know it's fine").  But the two comments together make me think he is trying to tease Mycroft.  Whether Mycroft actually is gay or not would be a different matter, but it seems like something Sherlock likes to torment him with.  Which again goes back to what Boton was saying about reverting to the old childhood taunts. That is something I can see young boys doing to get at each other, whether there was any truth in it or not. 

Come to think of it, Mycroft does the same to Sherlock lol.  (Might we expect a happy announcement?)

I do think that Sherlock is trying to imply that Mycroft is gay.  I also think Mycroft is, in fact, gay.  But I think the taunts come less from a place of accuracy than from a childish reason for Sherlock to needle Mycroft.  There may have been a point when Sherlock was indeed a virgin and scared of sex (he's supposedly 7 years younger than Mycroft, after all!), and Mycroft was in the process of recognizing his sexuality, and those were the meanest things they could say to one another, but now they are just childish leftovers.

I sometimes think that's at the root of the Angelo's "not a date" scene in SiP.  I think, if you watch Sherlock's face while John questions him, he's perfectly placid when he's asked about having a girlfriend -- this is one of his options he's considered and dismissed.  But when he's asked if he has a boyfriend, after he says he knows its fine, there's this lovely double take where it looks like he's thinking, "What? You're asking if *I'm* gay? Where did you get that.....? Oh, that must mean you are.  Crud, I need this flatmate, but I've got to clear things up right now."  It isn't hard for me to imagine that part of the reason Sherlock "knows its fine" is because he's accepted Mycroft ages ago, so it is not even a question any more.

• Like 1

I also think Mycroft is, in fact, gay.

Why? Just curious.

Mycroft doesn't strike me as anything-sexual. Sure, he seemed less than impressed by or interested in Irene Adler, and he's hilariously oblivious to the considerable charms of his personal assistant (reminds me of Mr Rumbold in "Are You Being Served", for those who are familiar with that silly old show), but we've never seen him behaving in any way differently around men. The only human being he appears to have any interest in at all is Sherlock, and I devoutly hope that is not of a sexual nature.

Ugh, I don't even want to begin to know what Mycroft finds attractive. The idea of him in bed with anybody is slightly unpalatable to me.

• Like 3

I also think Mycroft is, in fact, gay.

Why? Just curious.

Mycroft doesn't strike me as anything-sexual. Sure, he seemed less than impressed by or interested in Irene Adler, and he's hilariously oblivious to the considerable charms of his personal assistant (reminds me of Mr Rumbold in "Are You Being Served", for those who are familiar with that silly old show), but we've never seen him behaving in any way differently around men. The only human being he appears to have any interest in at all is Sherlock, and I devoutly hope that is not of a sexual nature.

Ugh, I don't even want to begin to know what Mycroft finds attractive. The idea of him in bed with anybody is slightly unpalatable to me.

You know what?  I haven't any idea why I think Mycroft is gay.

It isn't anything the character has ever said.  It isn't his behavior with men vs. women.  It isn't mannerism or dress or even anything one might consider "stereotypical" and therefore unfair to use as a basis for judgement.  I just have always thought he was gay.  I have since read that Gatiss says the same, but I formed my opinion before that, so I'm kind of at a loss as to why.  

That said, I really don't want to think of Mycroft in bed with anyone, regardless of proclivities.  I sort of assume he handles it as a necessary biological urge that one can either satisfy oneself or pay to have serviced, much like one can choose to eat at a restaurant or hire a cook.  

That said, I really don't want to think of Mycroft in bed with anyone, regardless of proclivities.  I sort of assume he handles it as a necessary biological urge that one can either satisfy oneself or pay to have serviced, much like one can choose to eat at a restaurant or hire a cook.  

:rofl: Yeah, probably...

You know, I wonder what Mycroft really likes. What makes him happy, I mean. I think we have a good idea of what makes Sherlock happy - "the thrill of the chase, the blood pumping through your veins" - but Mycroft? He always looks as if he was on a vinegar-based diet and it wasn't agreeing with him. When I see him, I think toothache and constipation. What in the world might he consider fun? And when was the last time he did it?

• Like 1

Uhhhh... taking cheap shots at Sherlock? Having a deduction contest? Kidnapping a blond soldier and taking him to a warehouse so he can hold his hand and taunt him?

• Like 1

:rofl: Yeah, probably...

You know, I wonder what Mycroft really likes. What makes him happy, I mean. I think we have a good idea of what makes Sherlock happy - "the thrill of the chase, the blood pumping through your veins" - but Mycroft? He always looks as if he was on a vinegar-based diet and it wasn't agreeing with him. When I see him, I think toothache and constipation. What in the world might he consider fun? And when was the last time he did it?

Vinegar-based diet not agreeing with him!  Love it!

I don't think Mycroft does fun and happiness.  Both of those things require vulnerability.  They require one to open oneself up to the moment, to live in the present without expectation.  That's not a Mycroft kind of thing to do.

I think Mycroft enjoys things, but they are things he can control.  Perhaps a fine scotch, or an occasional cigar, or a dress shirt tailored just so.  Perhaps even the brief satisfaction of a mission brought to a successful close.  But I don't think Mycroft has fun or happiness, because it would make him far too vulnerable.

I assume that one reason Sherlock thinks his brother is gay (or at least joke that he thinks so) is that Mycroft's rather prissy mannerisms fit the stereotypical gay image.  I further assume that this is quite intentional on Gatiss's part.  As a gay man in real life, he would be well aware of the stereotypes, and also well aware that some gay men will (perhaps sarcastically or defiantly) imitate the stereotypes.

All of the above is, of course, resting on the assumption that the "gay" stereotypes are similar in the UK and the US.

• Like 1

I assume that one reason Sherlock thinks his brother is gay (or at least joke that he thinks so) is that Mycroft's rather prissy mannerisms fit the stereotypical gay image.  I further assume that this is quite intentional on Gatiss's part.  As a gay man in real life, he would be well aware of the stereotypes, and also well aware that some gay men will (perhaps sarcastically or defiantly) imitate the stereotypes.

All of the above is, of course, resting on the assumption that the "gay" stereotypes are similar in the UK and the US.

I think so... At least judging from the television I've seen from both countries. Well, if it all boils down to stereotypes, then Sherlock should reconsider his own sexuality. I mean, who is Mary's-best-buddy-wedding-planner-it's-not-purple-it's-lilac?

I wouldn't know, honestly, since all the morons at school call each other gay no matter what.

Oh lord yes, that is one of my major complaints, the use of "gay" as an insult. I heard a six-year-old calling her brother "gay" once and asked her outright if she knew what that meant. She said yes. I said, so? What does it mean? She said "stupid". Face-palm. When I then explained to her what "gay" really means, she was quiet for a second, then asked: "How do they do it then?" I said, ask your parents.

Ahem. Back on topic. Mycroft. I read a characterization of him somewhere where it said "the man whose closest relationship is with his umbrella". (I don't think they were trying to imply anything obscene, there). Wouldn't it be funny if the umbrella turned out to have some really cool secret? Like if it had a weapon in it, or documents, or something?

• Like 1

Mycroft. I read a characterization of him somewhere where it said "the man whose closest relationship is with his umbrella". (I don't think they were trying to imply anything obscene, there)....

Hey, it's not obscene if they truly love one another!

• Like 1

I assume that one reason Sherlock thinks his brother is gay (or at least joke that he thinks so) is that Mycroft's rather prissy mannerisms fit the stereotypical gay image.  I further assume that this is quite intentional on Gatiss's part.

Huh. I have to admit it never occurred to me Mycroft might be gay until I learned that Gatiss was. It never occurred to me he might NOT be gay either ... nothing about his characterization made me wonder about his sexuality one way or the other, at least until S3. The "goldfish" remarks kind of made me think about it.

[Ahem. Back on topic. Mycroft. I read a characterization of him somewhere where it said "the man whose closest relationship is with his umbrella". (I don't think they were trying to imply anything obscene, there). Wouldn't it be funny if the umbrella turned out to have some really cool secret? Like if it had a weapon in it, or documents, or something?

Someone somewhere suggested it was a sheath for a sword, which is the coolest idea ever. :smile: I so want it to be true.

• Like 1

So does he have one umbrella for when he needs an umbrella (like the cafe scene at the end of "Scandal") and another one that's actually a sword?  Or is the sword hidden inside the umbrella handle, so he has it available at all times?

Good heavens. And here I thought we were just bein' silly....

http://penguinmunitions.webs.com/umbrellaweapons.htm

Um....I knew you guys weren't but I've seen pictures of it before.

I assume that one reason Sherlock thinks his brother is gay (or at least joke that he thinks so) is that Mycroft's rather prissy mannerisms fit the stereotypical gay image.  I further assume that this is quite intentional on Gatiss's part.

Huh. I have to admit it never occurred to me Mycroft might be gay until I learned that Gatiss was. It never occurred to me he might NOT be gay either ... nothing about his characterization made me wonder about his sexuality one way or the other, at least until S3. The "goldfish" remarks kind of made me think about it.

[Ahem. Back on topic. Mycroft. I read a characterization of him somewhere where it said "the man whose closest relationship is with his umbrella". (I don't think they were trying to imply anything obscene, there). Wouldn't it be funny if the umbrella turned out to have some really cool secret? Like if it had a weapon in it, or documents, or something?

Someone somewhere suggested it was a sheath for a sword, which is the coolest idea ever. :smile: I so want it to be true.

Hey Arcadia, what is the connection between the goldfish remarks and leading to think of Mycroft perhaps being gay?  I'm just not sure what you mean by that, but maybe I am just missing something. 

I personally never thought of Mycroft as being gay...reminds me of something was it from a TV show or something?  Where they say someone's not gay, he's just British lol.  I see Mycroft like that, just so refined and upper class and prissy that he could come across as being gay.  But I could see through his mannerisms that maybe as a child he was once bullied or teased about being gay and Sherlock seizes on that as a "pressure point" of sorts in the brotherly abuse game. :P

• Like 2

I personally never thought of Mycroft as being gay...reminds me of something was it from a TV show or something?  Where they say someone's not gay, he's just British lol.  I see Mycroft like that, just so refined and upper class and prissy that he could come across as being gay.

A definite possibility. (And I've heard comments of that sort before -- which is why I said my remarks could be all wet if the stereotypes aren't the same there as here.) But as you say, even if Mycroft is just excessively British, that could still be why Sherlock jokes about him being gay.

Nope, I knew we weren't.  My uncle brought back a souvenir from the Philippines, a nice wooden cane with a vicious dagger concealed inside (this was ages ago, of course).  Wouldn't be much of a leap to umbrellas.

Hey Arcadia, what is the connection between the goldfish remarks and leading to think of Mycroft perhaps being gay?  I'm just not sure what you mean by that, but maybe I am just missing something.

Oh, that's not quite what I meant ... I just meant, as far as Mycroft having any kind of relationship at all, or what his sexual orientation might be,  I simply never thought about it ... until Sherlock made that remark about "but I've been away, I thought maybe you found a goldfish." And Mycroft gets very agitated and tells Sherlock to change the subject, which makes me wonder if Mycroft's hiding something? Or rather, hiding someone? That's all I meant.

Makes sense Arcadia!  Thanks.  I just thought I was ignorant to some pop culture reference about goldfish or something! 

• Like 1