You are definitely not the only one, if that's any help.

• Like 3

So, we can only hope, if that is the proper word for such a disastrous event, that the creators will hold true to ACD and make it devastating by making Dr Watson lose both wife and newborn child in accordance with his "sad loss" mentioned in The Empty House. Talk about a rock and a hard place! We are fated to suffer our favourite detective becoming a caricature in a sitcom, or become ghouls ourselves, eagerly awaiting the demise of a targeted ex-assassin and her infant in a suitably catastrophic incident! Thanks for nothing!

• Like 2

It doesn't have to 'hold true' the way you want to make it good. There are other adaptations for that.

They could retain or delete anything they want and still make it good without it being a sitcom. What they have is good formula, which gains them special fan base, and I am sure they won't be that stupid to screw it up (by making it into sitcom or romcom for example). I willingly bet someone's finger (well, I need mine!:p) that they have good heads on their shoulders.

But, just in case, someone send them a reminder please, five orange pips, bread crumbs, burnt ginger man, or maybe 20 years old stinking shoes.

• Like 2

Deep down you are as soft as a marshmallow, dear VBS, evanescent as your moniker! We should send them all of the above (Moriarty rules of engagement), plus a dozen of Irene's crops, just to be on the safe side.

Nope, they don't have very good heads on their shoulders, they are basically money-oriented producers with a limited range of script ideas, especially obvious in the Dr Who series, if you know what "breadcrumbs" to follow, and thieving magpies above all, no matter what real magpies really are like!

• Like 1

“There are no new stories. It all depends on how you handle them.” -- Jude Deveraux

• Like 3

Yup!

When is the last time we see something 'original' anymore?

Sometimes I wish I was born a couple of hundred years in the past so I could invent something because there were so many original inventions possible, but that would be close-minded. There are also many things to be found now, however, current inventions are mostly improvement and refinement from existing.

Eh, what am I talking about again¿ Whatever it is, it's relevant. I insist. :)

I still believe in Sherlock and the creators, I like what they have done so far. But I speak for myself, so should everyone else, especially if you don't agree with me. :p

• Like 1

This will be related to what they will decide to do with the baby - are we supposed to like Mary now? I've read an interview where they said they made her deliberately likeable in TEH so that the truth would be more of a shock, but what are we supposed to be feeling about her now? She almost killed Sherlock, and even though John has seemingly forgiven her (don't see how he could of, but there we go) are we, as the audience, meant to have forgiven her too? I didn't notice any signs in TAB (the present day parts at least since the rest is in Sherlock's head) that we're meant to still distrust her. Thoughts?

• Like 3

I can't help it, I've always followed Sherlock's lead where Mary is concerned. He appears to like and trust her, so I do too. If she later betrays him and/or John, well, I'll be just as devastated as they are, so that's alright. I like to be immersed in my fiction. :D

I can't quite decide whether they intend for us to like her without reservation, or if they intend for us to be in limbo where she's concerned. The latter sounds rather more like Moftiss, doesn't it? ;) But everything they've said and done since the airing of HLV indicates the former. Which is suspicious, now that I think of it..... hmmmm.....

One thing I do believe ... and I know many people disagree, but hey ... is that  we are not supposed to think that Mary "killed" Sherlock. Even if his heart actually stopped ... which I have my doubts about ... he's Not Dead, is he? What she did was shoot Sherlock. Personally I don't find that any more acceptable, but apparently Sherlock does, so ... there you go. Who am I to gainsay the world's most observant man. :p

• Like 2

Well, the great detective should have observed her movements and predicted the likely outcome of getting shot by a cornered ex-assassin! THIS Mary and her spawn should disappear quickly and efficiently from the series! As for trusting the creators, I have discovered Caya's favourite fan fiction author, PlaidAdder, and I share the latter's views: you cannot trust Mr Moffat if he tells you that water is wet! But I shall reserve judgement until I watch the long-awaited S4!

• Like 1

Well, the great detective should have observed her movements and predicted the likely outcome of getting shot by a cornered ex-assassin!

Which proves that sentiment is... you know. Sherlock happened to like Mary, unfortunately...

Ah, wait... what if he does deduce the situation within few seconds and shows Mary a way out of the situation, by doing this one step despite a warning? Even if he thinks Mary wants to kill CAM, it might still work: She kills CAM and shoots Sherlock who lands on the save side by being a collateral. Otherwise he and John would be very high on the list of suspects. That's also an argument that Mary initially didn't intend to kill CAM. Because after shooting Sherlock there was no reason for leaving him alive.

Again a case of thinking with my fingers. Thank you, Billy... eh, Forum for being a patient listener :D

• Like 2

Wait ... what? Are you saying Sherlock wanted Mary to shoot him?!??!!? :blink: And am I actually thinking this could be a legitimate argument? Agh! We need a new season!

• Like 1

No, I don't believe there's any way he wanted to be shot! He seems way too surprised by the whole thing, not to mention how panicked he is when he's in his mind palace.

• Like 2

Maybe not wanted, but giving her a way out. (we could work out all possible solutions and look what works)

Maybe not expecting her being so thorough.

Panic? He was most probably shot for the first time. Everyone would panic :P

Yepp - need a new season.

• Like 2

No, I don't believe there's any way he wanted to be shot! He seems way too surprised by the whole thing, not to mention how panicked he is when he's in his mind palace.

True! :d

What would you like to see happen Pawse?

I don't know, to be honest, I mean, Dr Watson loses both his wife and child, and that's part of the Canon, and I always thought it was quite sad for him.

I don't know. It's a difficult one: he loses them, that's the end of Mary and the baby. But if it got changed around, and they survived, that would alter the whole dynamics of the whole thing.

I mean, I'd like to see a change for once, but I don't know how it would settle with everyone else.

I'll have to apologise - it's just me and my rambling thoughts.

• Like 2

It occurs to me that we might be going at this from the wrong angle. The Moftisses have both said many times that they're basically making this up to please themselves; so what would they enjoy seeing happen? Neither of them strikes me as the "domestic bliss" type, although I suspect Moffat of being more sentimental than he lets on, for some reason. :smile: I worry less about the baby changing the dynamics of the show, and more about Mycroft changing the dynamics of the show ... at John's expense.

I'm not familiar with anything else either of the Moftisses have done, so I'm clueless as to what they like, but maybe some of the rest of you have some ideas in that regard. Or maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree! :d

• Like 1

Dear Arcadia, then you have been spared the whole excruciating experience, BAFTAs notwithstanding, of Mr Moffat's Dr Who adaptation, you lucky, lucky teddy bear! The less said about it the better, because if in that show one starts rooting for the Daleks rather than the incumbent Doctor...

Yeah? Sounds like it's high time I started watching it, then! :d

• Like 1

Saw this in a new article, though it may well be an old quote:

Co-creators, writers and executive producers Steven Moffat and Mark Gatiss said: “Whatever else we do, wherever we all go, all roads lead back to Baker Street — and it always feels like coming home. Ghosts of the past are rising in the lives of Sherlock Holmes and John Watson bringing adventure, romance and terror in their wake. This is the story we’ve been telling from the beginning. A story about to reach its climax…”

Hopefully that actually means the road leads back to Baker Street for John too. Elsewhere it said 'Season four begins with Sherlock Holmes back once more on British soil, as Doctor Watson and his wife Mary prepare for their biggest ever challenge — becoming parents for the first time.' which I hate, hate, hate because that is not what the show is about! That's not a quote from anyone though, that's just the article writer. 

• Like 1

Oh, dear! Never, ever take what Mr Moffat says at face value, or you will be disappointed one way or another!

Also, from "prepare" to actually becoming a parent for Dr Watson is quite a big leap, exactly like the Ancient Greek story of "between the cup and the first drink there are many things", so we shall all have to wait and see.

• 3 weeks later...

So, you know how I said I was horrified by the idea of John and Sherlock running around with John wearing a baby sling?  :( 

9f930e1fef53ba17a7444c16e3ecd0fa.jpg

• Like 1