GIF Your Mood

Pseudonym

That reminds me of a display at the annual home show:  A giant faucet hanging in mid-air with water endlessly coming out of it.  As a child I was fascinated by the impossibility of this -- till I finally had a thought and stuck my finger into the water, where it encountered the clear plastic pipe that returned the water to the faucet.

On 12/13/2019 at 3:45 PM, Pseudonym said:

It's Christmas Narwhal time!

2bd01b508cf40654b8b4e08fe9ca4969.gif

But of course … :wacko:

• 2 weeks later...

free-animated-gifs-of-cats-knocking-over

Feeling some post-Christmas blues after taking down the Christmas decorations at work.  Back to business as usual.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

In the grocery store on Jan 2nd, I noticed they already had the fancy boxes of Valentine candy on the shelves. When I mentioned that to Alex later, he said that's nothing -- they also had the Easter candy out, and Easter isn't till April 12th this year.

No worries, I'm sure the Easter candy will still be fresh by then. :wacko: 

1 hour ago, Artemis said:

free-animated-gifs-of-cats-knocking-over

Feeling some post-Christmas blues after taking down the Christmas decorations at work.  Back to business as usual.

What a helpful kitty! Mine just hops in all the boxes.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

In the grocery store on Jan 2nd, I noticed they already had the fancy boxes of Valentine candy on the shelves. When I mentioned that to Alex later, he said that's nothing -- they also had the Easter candy out, and Easter isn't till April 12th this year.

Yep, there's been Valentine's and Easter candy out in local stores for at least two weeks, maybe even longer (I haven't been out much).

Christmas was cut off quite abruptly around here this year.  At 8:00 on Christmas night I turned on the radio to hear some Christmas music, and they had already stopped playing it on every station.  Nor were there any Christmas movies playing on TV, and most people have already shut off their Christmas lights.  Most years the Christmas music tapers off gradually through New Year's, and many people will leave their lights up through the winter, or at least half of it.  This year it's like everyone was done with Christmas before it was even over.  It was a tad depressing.  A few centuries ago we'd only be on the 9th day of Christmas.  :P 

• Confused 1

We still have our lights in place and turned on, if that makes you feel any better. We typically have them on between Thanksgiving Friday and Groundhog Day.

• Like 1

Yeah, I've noticed the same thing about TV. Too much of a hurry to get back to showing wall-to-wall football games.

Lots of people 'round here leave their lights on til …. whenever. Lots turn 'em off after Christmas. Lots never bother to put them up. (Lots of non-Christians around here, for one thing.) It's all good, there's always something pretty to look at in the evening, even if it's just the glow of a porch light. I do like that about winter … the glow of lights.

The little town nearby festoons their (deciduous) trees and rooflines with white lights every winter and leaves them up for the whole season. It's beautiful, makes it worth going into town at night. I can remember when the town was dead after dark … now there's nearly always something going on, partly because it's just nice to walk around. What a simple solution, too. You should see it when it's snowing; amazing.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

Lots never bother to put them up. (Lots of non-Christians around here, for one thing.)

There's a family we know that's super enthusiastic about Christmas decorations (you should see their tree!), and they're Hindus.  I think they see the decorations as an American thing.  Sort of like if I were living in India, I might put up Diwali lights, just to join in the festivities.  Even very devout Hindus don't seem to see religion as a point of contention -- same with Buddhists and Shintos, come to think of it.  The whole "holy war" concept seems be a Judeo-Christian-Islamic invention.

Edited by Arcadia
Empty quote box erased by backspacing over it.

1 hour ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

There's a family we know that's super enthusiastic about Christmas decorations (you should see their tree!), and they're Hindus.  I think they see the decorations as an American thing.  Sort of like if I were living in India, I might put up Diwali lights, just to join in the festivities.  Even very devout Hindus don't seem to see religion as a point of contention -- same with Buddhists and Shintos, come to think of it.  The whole "holy war" concept seems be a Judeo-Christian-Islamic invention.

I think you may be right. Lots of our Christmas decorations are from (largely Buddhist) Korea and Japan. I mean, they were made for sale in Korea and Japan, not to import here. Little Santa boots, e.g. A strand of Santa lights. These are a few of my favorite things, and I'm not a Christian either (grew up one, though.) For us it's always been a favorite family tradition, not a particularly religious one. Not that we don't recognize the religious source; it's just not the focus of our celebration.

The only people I've ever heard express some, er, disgruntlement (?) … with the whole Christmas thing have been a my two friends who happen to be Jewish. Both married to people who celebrate Christmas. So … yeah. Whatever. :smile:

On 10/28/2019 at 11:45 AM, Arcadia said:

Hatred is such an energy-sapping emotion in the first place, I'd rather reserve it for that very special few. :blink:  The rest will have to settle for disgust. :D 

Hey, this is and advice I could use. But I want to lower it down more (as disgust takes a lot of energy), I wish me giving up on people either in conversation or hope would have piercing scorching pain on them, because they need to know that I'm mad!! Without me having to act mad!!! GAH!!!

Anyway, my Christmas tree is still up, although it's not lighted for some time even during Christmas because we needed to stay at another place since we have plumbing and water problem. And I'm not taking it down yet, at least until I have running water and able to do proper cleaning up. And I'm not a Christian eventhough I was baptized as one. We started the Christmas tree tradition from Mom (Buddist) and Dad (agnostic). We just love the ambience of everyone making it home during Christmas, taking a break from studying abroad or from work, even just for half an afternoon. I guess it had more meaning than Christmas decoration to us.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Sheerluck said:

My preferred punctuation is Happy, Birthday?

Funny, that's what I always say when I run into Birthday. :P 

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

I really need a haircut, but I'm too lazy to go get one.  It's a predicament.

source.gif

Lol. I just got my first one in about two years. Same reason.