Favorite "Sherlock" Moments

Carol the Dabbler

Digital Spy has posted their "15 Best Moments" from Sherlock, complete with video clips.

So -- what are your favorite Sherlock moments?

You're allowed to pick more than one!

I'd like to add the "Punch me in the face"/"I had bad days!" scene" from "Scandal" and the "spectacularly ignorant"/"But it's the solar system!" scene from "Great Game."

Oh-h-h-h, where to start? There are so many! So many...

A Study in Pink:

- "What kind of result do you care about?" And Sherlock gets into the cab.

- Where Sherlock starts to put Lestrade on the right track concerning the person who shot the cabbie, then suddenly realizes it must have been John, stops and actually says "ignore me, I'm in shock". That is the first time we ever see him forfeit a chance to show off for the good of another person.

The Blind Banker:

- "That's what I was suggesting!" "No, it wasn't. At least I hope not."

- The scene where Sherlock gets upset because only John's "average mind" saw the graffiti and it turns out John took a picture of it.

The Great Game:

- The dialogue at Baker St, about whether Sherlock cares that there are "lives at stake". That one has my favorite quotes in it.

- The entire pool scene, especially the moment when Sherlock's hand starts to shake

A Scandal in Belgravia:

- "There is a mute button and I will use it"

- Mycroft and Sherlock at the morgue

- The last part of the "airplane" scene; Sherlock punching the four letters into the phone and his bitter and memorable words about love

The Hounds of Baskerville:

- Sherlock's nervous breakdown in the pub

- John drinking the over-sweetened coffee, totally unsuspicious

The Reichenbach Fall:

- The scene where Molly tells Sherlock he's acting like her father and how she doesn't get that he's actually affected by her concern and walks away before he has a chance to say anything

- The rooftop confrontation, especially when Sherlock comes out onto the roof and there's Moriarty, with his phone playing "staying alive".

- The graveside speech (of course). You know, I wonder whether Sherlock's best man speech at John's wedding will be some kind of answer to that?

• Like 1

My favourite moments? The whole show is my favourite moment  :D  But if I had to choose only a few favourite moments of each episode, I would choose these:

A Study in Pink

- Sherlock beating the dead body in the morgue

- when Sherlock and John first meet

- when John first meets Mycroft

- the drug bust scene

- the confrontation with the cabbie

- the "shock blanket" scene and when Sherlock realises that it was John who shot the killer

The Blind Banker

- the chip and pin machine scene

- "Could you pass me a pen" scene

The Great Game

- the opening scene in Belarus

- the entire "There's a head in the fridge!" scene

- when Sherlock says that the envelope is from the Czech republic (the reason why I like it is obvious, isn't it?  :D )

- the pool scene

A Scandal in Belgravia

- "Punch me in the face!"

- the entire "Sherlock saving Mrs Hudson" scene

- when Sherlock proves to Irene that "love is a dangerous disadvantage"

The Hounds of Baskerville

- the beginning at Baker Street

- the "Mind palace" scene

- when John realizes that Sherlock used him as a guinea pig in the lab

The Raichenbach Fall

- when Moriarty visits Sherlock at Baker Street

- the "No one could fake being such an annoying dick all the time" scene

- Sherlock and John's "imminent and daring escape"

- the rooftop scene

Oh well, if we can list more then one!

" Unaired Pilot": 

When Sherlock finds the pink case and as he jumps away the skip there is a faint swhooshing sound as his coat flairs like a cloak. Hints of a crime fighting superhero for sure!

His deducing the poisoner is a cabbie.

Mrs. Hudson shouting at Sherlock for the bullet hole in her wall to be revisited at his shooting at the painted yellow smiley face on her wall.

"Study in Pink":

The meeting between John Watson and Stanford.

- the drug bust scene

- "Could you pass me a pen" scene

- the "No one could fake being such an annoying dick all the time" scene

- Sherlock and John's "imminent and daring escape"

Oh yes, those should go on my list, too. It's so hard to choose!

If for some reason I had to decide on just one favorite scene (I really couldn't pin it down to just one moment), I'd take the pool. There are lots of other bits where we see that Sherlock has a heart, after all, especially in the second series, but this is where he realizes it himself. Also, the acting and dialogue there is so wonderfully constrained and subtle. They never did this quite so well again, and I don't think they ever will. I might go so far as to say it's my favorite scene in any film or TV series at all.

- The graveside speech (of course). You know, I wonder whether Sherlock's best man speech at John's wedding will be some kind of answer to that?

Yes, as you say, "of course."  And that is a marvelous idea, and would be a very touching scene (probably very funny too).  Since Sherlock presumably heard John's entire soliloquy, it could also be perfectly realistic (not just a poetic coincidence).

Wonder if that idea occurred to Moftiss?  (Of course, there are times when a really great scene just doesn't fit a particular story.)

Who knows? It's very hard to predict what those writers will do. Although I have made some good guesses (and some of the things announced for series 3 could be straight off my wish list), most of  my "hunches" so far have been totally wrong.

I think I would just really like some kind of answer. I would like it if Sherlock heard, even though it looked as if he was standing way too far off for that. And Sherlock as a best man, having to be charming at a big wedding, should be just as much out of his comfort zone as John at his friend's grave, so the overall effect of the speech could be similar, only funny instead of sad.

The actual panic in Sherlock's voice when Henry is about to commit suicide in Dewar's Hollow.

Yes! Big favorite moment for me too. All of this scene, actually, with Sherlock talking to Henry; trying to get him to understand that he has been manipulated with. And finally, when Sherlock forces Henry to look at the dog. I think this shows just how much Sherlock understands of human emotion, even though he claims emotion to be a weakness. Personally, I think he handled this situation much better than most people would.

Other great moments:

1) The arrest. Everything from the moment when Sherlock worries that John has been 'taken in' by Moriarty's schemes, to the 'Joining me?' moment. So much emotional drama and a good deal of sentiment :)

2) The ending of ASiP. I love the moment when Sherlock realises that John shot the cabbie, as well as the last scene in which they walk away together - that scene, to me, is epic! Right there I know that this friendship is going to be amazing.

• Like 1

Yes "A Study in Pink" is really the only episode (so far) with a really satisfying ending. It's probably the best episode in that it tells a complete story and could stand on it's own as a film.

• Like 1

If for some reason I had to decide on just one favorite scene (I really couldn't pin it down to just one moment), I'd take the pool. There are lots of other bits where we see that Sherlock has a heart, after all, especially in the second series, but this is where he realizes it himself. Also, the acting and dialogue there is so wonderfully constrained and subtle. They never did this quite so well again, and I don't think they ever will. I might go so far as to say it's my favorite scene in any film or TV series at all.

This scene is a good example of how Sherlock keeps completely calm when he has to; not letting emotion get in the way of doing what's needed. However, as soon as he and John are out of immediate danger, he goes somewhat manic. I keep smiling when I see him pace the floor back and forth while waiving around his hand with the gun in it - at one point, he actually points the gun towards his own head (not deliberately, of course), and his behavior shows just how affected he is.

Which brings me to another scene: In ASiB, when Mr. Archer is told, "On the count of three, shoot Dr. Watson". Sherlock doesn't do anything drastic that could jeopardise any of their lives, but the desperation in his voice is evidence of his feelings.

This scene is a good example of how Sherlock keeps completely calm when he has to; not letting emotion get in the way of doing what's needed. However, as soon as he and John are out of immediate danger, he goes somewhat manic.

Yes, I love how that is acted out. It's not a Sherlockian peculiarity, though, I think that's the way most people respond to tight situations: They function as long as they have to and when it's over, they fall apart.

True about the falling apart, but not everyone would keep their cool as well as Sherlock under pressure... Though, how can you really tell, until you've tried, right? :)

not everyone would keep their cool as well as Sherlock under pressure...

Probably. He's certainly good at it, it's part of his heroic side. Seems to be an acquired talent with him, he gives the impression of being pretty "high strung" by nature.

• Like 1

I have made the following top ten list (although I'm sure I will change my mind about it many times!):

10. The "Will caring about them help save them" scene (TGG)

9. Sherlock apologises to Molly (ASiB)

8. The "I don't count" scene (TRF)

7. Sherlock trying to get back into John's good books after the "I don't have friends" incident (HoB)

6. The entire pool scene (TGG)

5. Sherlock realising that John shot the cabbie, and them walking off together (ASiP)

4. The arrest (TRF)

3. Sherlock and John save Henry at Dewer's Hollow (HoB)

2. The rooftop scene, particularly the phone call (TRF)

1. John's graveyard speech (TRF)

Merry Christmas, everyone!

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, that is a hard question to answer! Because there are SO MANY amazing moments... Okay, off the top of my head (I'll probably think of lots more after I've posted this. And these aren't in chronological order, they're just as I think of them):

- The reveal of the password as SHER - that whole scene with Sherlock and Irene and his speech about love

- "You, with your cheekbones and turning your coat collar up so you look cool"

- When Sherlock made John a coffee and put the sugar in to try and drug him - the look on Sherlock's face when John said he didn't take sugar, and the way John then (unaware he was trying to experiment on him, and thinking he was just trying to do something nice) said "it's good" and drank it anyway

- "PINK!"

- "The flirting's over now Sherlock, Daddy's had enough now!"

- Christmas at 221B - the whole scene, but especially Sherlock and Molly

- Sherlock's "goodbye John" from the roof. Sob.

- Sherlock and John giggling as Sherlock sits there in his sheet at Buckingham Palace. Love love LOVE Benedict's laugh

- "I don't have friends. I've just got one."

- Sherlock and John's - "you're doing a we-both-know-what's-really-going-on-here face" conversation

- 'Sinnerman' playing in The Reichenbach Fall

Aaaaand pretty much every scene there ever was. :D

Like a lot of people, and being that I'm sitting here on my lunch break so don't really have mind space to play with, I'd have to say one of my favourite scenes has to be Christmas at 221b, if nothing else for Sherlock and Molly.  She must be utterly mortified but it takes him a minute to think, then the brain to process, and then to feel.  We see more and more of that as Sherlock has more to do with the outside world. 

I do however also love moments when there is Sherlock and Mycroft, the dynamic between them yes ok reeks of previous battles between them but there is still a hint of brotherly-ness on occasion.  The actors and direction makes such a huge difference to that particular dynamic I think.  I just love the idea Mycroft is just a civil servant.. much. hehe

There's loads more I could pick out but my brains too full of boring stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

Great; now we've got new moments to add! :) From series 3 - I'll put these in spoiler boxes:

The Empty Hearse

• The reunion. It was just so long anticipated that I was trembling, and even more so because Sherlock was preposterously pretending to be a waiter! The moment when John realised who the waiter was, I stopped breathing.
  • Sherlock hearing John's voice in his head, and answering him out loud with 'Shut up, John'. :)
  • Sherlock saying one very heartfelt 'Sorry' after John has found out about his parents knowing about Sherlock's hiatus. Short scene, but carried out to perfection.

The Sign of Three

Where do I being? Loved it! The whole of Sherlock's speech was great.

• Sherlock's account of when John asked him to be best man. Very moving and funny (which basically sums up the episode).
  • Basically all of Sherlock's praises of John, and John's reaction (you can see him actually tearing up).
  • "What's wrong, what happened, why are you all doing that?" - and the following hug.
  • Sherlock's insults - thank goodness he hasn't changed too much :)
  • Lestrade's attempt to deduce what happened to the guardsman - really funny, especially how he stutters to begin with. Love Lestrade.
  • The ending; how Sherlock walks out on his own. Very bittersweet, and I just love it because I've been there.

His Last Vow

Anything Benedict Cumberbatch did. He was spectacular in this episode (he is always great, but this was beyond great).

• When Sherlock faces Mary in Magnussen's office.
  • Sherlock's near-death experience, and how he fights his way back to life, spurred on by Moriarty's comment on John.
  • John's angry reaction in Baker St. after learning about Mary's deceit.
  • Sherlock's reactions to Magnussen when he's flicking John's face.
  • Sherlock shooting Magnussen to protect Mary, and how he tells John to get away. He chooses to go down alone.
  • The tear-jerking goodbye scene at the airport.

• Like 1

My highlights from series 3 were:

- the now already infamous scene on the train in The Empty Hearse

- "You’d have to be an idiot not to see it. You love it." "Love what?" "Being Sherlock Holmes." "I don’t even know what that’s supposed to mean."

- the entire wedding speech, especially: "What’s wrong? What happened? Why are you all doing that? John!"

- the stag night, especially the game of "who am I" and Sherlock being unable to guess himself

- Sherlock throwing Mycroft out of his mind palace with the words "not you"

- the ending of The Sign of Three

- Sherlock (not) dying in His Last Vow
- "Merry Christmas" in His Last Vow (I am sure you know what I mean... ;) )

I moved this to the series 3 subforum (for now at least), so feel free to discuss said series 3 here :).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

One of my favorite moments is in The Great Game when John is so satisfied because he thinks he's solved the case of Connie Prince's death - and then Sherlock bursts his bubble. Poor John.

• Like 4