Best episodes (ranking)

Actually, I think we (the readers) were supposed to assume that the original Irene Adler was scandalous specifically because she had been an opera singer.  As I understand it, during Victorian times, entertainers (especially women) were automatically considered some sort of "lowlife."  That attitude died out only gradually -- I recall the elderly father of a friend declaring that "all actresses are whores."  But the profession was merely disreputable, not at all criminal, so in that regard, I think Moffat did a real disservice to his modern-day Irene.

• Like 2

Well, he turned Mary Morstan into a professional killer, so I suppose by his standards, what he did with Irene Adler was moderation itself!

• Like 4

It's funny how my mind works (or is it my heart...), that I can so change it back and forth. Right now I kind of love HLV. Not everything about it, obviously, but as a whole. Same with TSoT. I'd even say they're among my favorites... ("Sorry, boys; I'm sooooo changeable!") but then again, so is every other episode (almost).

I love the emotional impact and character arc in the last four episodes, but I also love the more fun, exciting dynamic of episodes 1-5; before John and Sherlock's friendship was affected by Sherlock's fall, and while they were still flatmates. Both eras are great. TRF - while being the most dramatic and emotionally compelling (in my eyes), I now keep thinking: How could Sherlock do that to John? It didn't fully register with me until TEH aired how bad it was. And yet I love those two episodes as well. I've just been watching the rooftop scene, and it feels like a punch in the stomach. "I researched you" - and John looks up with that desparate, furious look... Ugh, it hurts.

• Like 2

For me, the last four episodes seem less about the intellect and more about the heart; so it's harder for me to process what I see. But it's more rewarding in the long run, because there's more layers to peel away and ponder over. So I think S3 has really become my favorite now, as much as I love to rant about ... well, all the things I rant about. :smile:

This may not be a good thing ... I loved this show before, but now I'm a little obsessed with it!

• Like 1

This may not be a good thing ... I loved this show before, but now I'm a little obsessed with it!

Good thing or not, I would say the way this Forum has grown in such a short time, that you are in very good company. I would think obsession covers it pretty well for a good number of us.

• Like 1

It's funny how my mind works (or is it my heart...), that I can so change it back and forth. Right now I kind of love HLV. Not everything about it, obviously, but as a whole. Same with TSoT. I'd even say they're among my favorites... ("Sorry, boys; I'm sooooo changeable!") but then again, so is every other episode (almost).

I still haven't figured out where the S3 episodes fit into my previous "favorites" list. As you and Arcadia point out, it's like comparing apples and oranges.

I've just been watching the rooftop scene, and it feels like a punch in the stomach. "I researched you" - and John looks up with that desparate, furious look... Ugh, it hurts.

I've never seen another actor who can so reliably grab me by the gut the way Martin Freeman does, but Benedict Cumberbatch can do it pretty often.  And the two of them together....

... I loved this show before, but now I'm a little obsessed with it!

Only a little obsessed?

• Like 2

For me, the last four episodes seem less about the intellect and more about the heart; so it's harder for me to process what I see. But it's more rewarding in the long run, because there's more layers to peel away and ponder over. So I think S3 has really become my favorite now, as much as I love to rant about ... well, all the things I rant about. :smile:

Series 3 is different, somehow. There wasn't so much of a discrepancy between 1 and 2, but 3 is really "the end of an era" and "the beginning of a new chapter". Which is both good and sad, just like these things are in real life. It was probably wise to go in a different direction - how could they have made something like series 1 again, anyway? (I still maintain that was the best, Blind Banker and all).

I wonder whether, if I had not been introduced to this show long before and completely hooked on it, I would have liked the new episodes at all. I have a feeling you've got to know and care for the characters already to be drawn into it and take all that drama seriously. Also, they've now taken the "platonic romance" (I refuse to adopt the b-word as well as I can, I have a snooty kind of aversion to smushed terms like that) to such a level that I think it must confuse the hell out of people who didn't watch it develop over the years.

As it is, I love series 3, too. But while the first two appealed to me instantly, it took a lot of getting used to. By contrast, I remember I was very, very skeptical about A Scandal in Belgravia when it was announced. A love affair for Sherlock Holmes? Ugh. The original story never had much appeal for me and I couldn't imagine they'd be able to do anything with it that I liked. I considered skipping it. But when I actually had the DVD in my hands, of course I didn't, after all, and I instantly loved it. It's probably my least favorite episode of all (well, together with The Empty Hearse), but my first reaction was wow, surprise, this is great, and they've still got it. Whereas the first reaction to series 3 was oh no.

I do wonder what 4 will be like, if we ever get it....

• Like 2

I know what you mean. I was very, very enthusiastic with the show while it was "mind vs. heart" - a reoccurring theme. Now it's more humanised; and while that isn't what makes 'Sherlock' special, it still adds to the character arc, and therefore both makes sense and is compelling.

Makes me wonder where they will take Sherlock's character arc next - or if s4 will focus more on John again, which I kind of hope it will. Not entirely, of course (I want to see plenty of Sherlock's arc too), but more so that s3 did.

Perhaps Mary really will play a greater part than she did in TEH and TSoT, since there's so much to explore about her and her relationship with both John and Sherlock.

Obsessed? Don't get me started... I'm obsessing more than a little, especially about the things I can't make sense of. Which is more than it used to be... Not necessarily a bad thing; it's challenging - but it sure can be frustrating, too.

Series 3 is different, somehow. There wasn't so much of a discrepancy between 1 and 2, but 3 is really "the end of an era" and "the beginning of a new chapter". Which is both good and sad, just like these things are in real life. It was probably wise to go in a different direction - how could they have made something like series 1 again, anyway? (I still maintain that was the best, Blind Banker and all).

I wonder whether, if I had not been introduced to this show long before and completely hooked on it, I would have liked the new episodes at all. I have a feeling you've got to know and care for the characters already to be drawn into it and take all that drama seriously. Also, they've now taken the "platonic romance" (I refuse to adopt the b-word as well as I can, I have a snooty kind of aversion to smushed terms like that) to such a level that I think it must confuse the hell out of people who didn't watch it develop over the years.

As it is, I love series 3, too. But while the first two appealed to me instantly, it took a lot of getting used to. By contrast, I remember I was very, very skeptical about A Scandal in Belgravia when it was announced. A love affair for Sherlock Holmes? Ugh. The original story never had much appeal for me and I couldn't imagine they'd be able to do anything with it that I liked. I considered skipping it. But when I actually had the DVD in my hands, of course I didn't, after all, and I instantly loved it. It's probably my least favorite episode of all (well, together with The Empty Hearse), but my first reaction was wow, surprise, this is great, and they've still got it. Whereas the first reaction to series 3 was oh no.

I do wonder what 4 will be like, if we ever get it....

All three new episodes took getting used to for me, especially 1 and 3, in a way that none of the previous episodes did. I haven't fully accepted TEH and HLV yet, I think. Strange feeling, that is. I so loved the first two series that it hadn't occurred to me that I would feel any different about series 3. I just wasn't prepared for the changes, I guess. Maybe I'll be more prepared next time... maybe!

I definitely think you need to love Sherlock and John from before if you're going to really love s3 - otherwise, how would you get involved in all the emotional scenes and the character arc? Like you said; "take all that drama seriously." True. If it hadn't been for the already strong foundation for the bond between the two men, that drama could feel cheap.

I definitely think you need to love Sherlock and John from before if you're going to really love s3 - otherwise, how would you get involved in all the emotional scenes and the character arc? Like you said; "take all that drama seriously." True. If it hadn't been for the already strong foundation for the bond between the two men, that drama could feel cheap.

In my opinion, this season's level of drama is kinda borderline even with my years of familiarity with the show and love for it.  About another inch would have been too much, definitely into soap-opera territory.

• Like 1

I couldn't agree more with you. At least there's a fair chance that next series could be less dramatic, seeing as there is no emotional return for Sherlock, and no wedding for John. Those two episodes were bound to be emotionally dramatic rather than exciting and adventurous. Since it's almost completely open for the writer's to do with s4 what they want, I'm guessing we'll see more casework.

• Like 1

I was lain awake thinking about this, today...yes, I do that kind of thing!

So mainly for my own amusement, I guess.

My rankings after series 1 were:

1. Game

2. Pink

3.  Bank

After series 2:

1. Reichenbach.

2. Game

3. Hound

4.Pink

5.Scandal

6. Bank.

Just to remind people, or possibly myself!

My current rankings are:

1. Vow.

2. Reichenbach.

3. Game

4. Sign

5. Empty hearse

6.Hound.

7.Pink

8. Scandal

9. Bank.

Well, you're not the only one lying awake over 'Sherlock' sometimes. And I've gotten a bit obsessed with ranking these episodes; I suppose because it's so hard for me. I can rank Reichenback and Pink fairly easily as my favorites, and Scandal and Banker just as easily as my least favorites (despite loving both of them). But in between that it gets harder, and it changes nearly from day to day.

• Like 1

I disagree, and I have first hand experience. :D

I saw "Pink" back in 2010, and while I totally loved it I couldn't watch any of the rest of the episodes... till I discovered a channel which actually showed it. So after "Pink", I was saw season 3. And then moved on to seasons 1 and 2. 

So, my initial reaction to each and every episode of s3 was "WOW" and "LOL!". ;)

It was only after repeats and after seeing s1 and 2 that I grew more skeptical about them.

• Like 1

Well, you're not the only one lying awake over 'Sherlock' sometimes. And I've gotten a bit obsessed with ranking these episodes; I suppose because it's so hard for me. I can rank Reichenback and Pink fairly easily as my favorites, and Scandal and Banker just as easily as my least favorites (despite loving both of them). But in between that it gets harder, and it changes nearly from day to day.

You find it hard, I find it impossible! I just can't do it. Banker would come in at the bottom, I suppose, mostly because I find the Soo Lin and circus bits rather boring. But it also has some of my all-time favorite scenes in it. I adore ASiP, but the opening sequences kind of drag for me -- the episode really only gets going when John & Sherlock finally meet. I think I'd actually prefer the pilot, except that the aired version is more ... rich, somehow. Elegant.

I would probably like Scandal best except that ... well, I've already expressed my distaste for the choice to place Irene in the sex trade. But it is by far the most beautiful to look at, the acting is wonderful, the emotional undertones are so subtly rendered; it's quite a show. I don't really understand what's happening in it half the time, though. But that might be a good thing, the episode bears repeated watchings.

HLV moved me the most, but we all know what kind of problems IT has! Reichenbach seemed like the most perfect piece of drama in TV history when I first saw it, but it's been a little spoiled by the lack of sensible conclusion. And so forth; I just can't place one above the other!

I think S3 resonates the most with me, I suspect because I prefer Humanized Sherlock, but possibly also because I've seen it far more often. Or maybe because I was more invested in the characters by the time it came along; I only started watching this show about 18 months ago! How you folks that endured the two years waits did it, I don't know ... but I guess I'm about to find out. :o

Well, I don't feel so bad, then -- I'm not alone in my inability to rank the episodes. I actually had very little trouble ranking the first six, but that was after a couple years of familiarity and repeated viewings. Series 3 is just -- different.

I saw "Pink" back in 2010, and while I totally loved it I couldn't watch any of the rest of the episodes... till I discovered a channel which actually showed it. So after "Pink", I was saw season 3. And then moved on to seasons 1 and 2. 

So, my initial reaction to each and every episode of s3 was "WOW" and "LOL!". ;)
It was only after repeats and after seeing s1 and 2 that I grew more skeptical about them.

I am amazed that you could make any sense whatsoever out of S3! I suppose your long-ago memory of "Pink" must have at least given you a general sense of the characters. But still....

• Like 1

I disagree, and I have first hand experience. :D

I'm impressed you could make anything out of The Empty Hearse :D But then again, maybe you enjoyed it more (or at least without prejudice) than I did on my first viewing. And it must have been strange to then watch Reichenbach... But I get why you grew more sceptical about s3 after watching 1 and 2 :) I think many of us were/are a bit sceptical.

You find it hard, I find it impossible! I just can't do it. Banker would come in at the bottom, I suppose, mostly because I find the Soo Lin and circus bits rather boring. But it also has some of my all-time favorite scenes in it. I adore ASiP, but the opening sequences kind of drag for me -- the episode really only gets going when John & Sherlock finally meet. I think I'd actually prefer the pilot, except that the aired version is more ... rich, somehow. Elegant.

I would probably like Scandal best except that ... well, I've already expressed my distaste for the choice to place Irene in the sex trade. But it is by far the most beautiful to look at, the acting is wonderful, the emotional undertones are so subtly rendered; it's quite a show. I don't really understand what's happening in it half the time, though. But that might be a good thing, the episode bears repeated watchings.

HLV moved me the most, but we all know what kind of problems IT has! Reichenbach seemed like the most perfect piece of drama in TV history when I first saw it, but it's been a little spoiled by the lack of sensible conclusion. And so forth; I just can't place one above the other!

I think S3 resonates the most with me, I suspect because I prefer Humanized Sherlock, but possibly also because I've seen it far more often. Or maybe because I was more invested in the characters by the time it came along; I only started watching this show about 18 months ago! How you folks that endured the two years waits did it, I don't know ... but I guess I'm about to find out. :o

As for myself, I'm in love with s3, but it also makes me sad. S1 and s2 didn't really do that to me, until the end of Reichenbach - and even then I loved that ending so, so much. It's only after Hearse aired (and I saw John's pain again) that I feel really frustrated with Sherlock on top of St. Bart's.

And it's only been 13 months since I first watched it, so this is my first hiatus, too. I'm glad I didn't have to wait more than 8 months for Hearse! This time it's not as bad. Not yet, anyway.

S3 was supposed to make us sad, don't you think? As I see it, S3 is about change, and growing up. Both of which are good, because it means we're still alive, but sad, because if you've got it good, you want things to stay the same. And Sherlock had it pretty darn good, I'd say. But he can't stay a child forever. I suspect all my favorite stories have that kind of sadness in them.

Well I'll be over there with Peter Pan then ;).

• Like 1

What's that old saying...."Growing old is mandatory growing up is optional"  but yeah the events of Season 3 had to be pretty hard on Sherlock's psyche starting the events leading up to and including "The Fall". Then there was the being captured and the beating. He was off his game and on unsure footing with John and all of London. Things had changed and moved on and he had to regain all that he felt he had sacrificed and lost during those two years.

• Like 3

Well I'll be over there with Peter Pan then ;).

But even Peter Pan's kinda sad, isn't it? I always thought so. He always gets left. :(  At least, that's how I remember feeling, it's been years since I last read it.

Dunno, he always gets to have new adventures in Neverland, and even if he gets too cocky one day and Hook gets him, he sees death as another big adventure iirc (it's been a while for me, too :smile:). There's more to his life than just Wendy Darling imho ;).

S3 was supposed to make us sad, don't you think?

It certainly feels sad, which is strange, because actually, a ton of really good things happen: Sherlock is back from the dead and reunited with all who care for him and everybody loves him and forgives him, as always. John finally finds love and even gets married to the object of it, who turns out to be even more perfect for him than he thought when it is revealed that she's not quite the boredom-inducing suburbian "ordinary person" she appeared. Magnussen gets shot, Mary is finally safe, and Sherlock doesn't suffer any consequences for committing murder other than being in the air for 4 minutes before Mycroft decides that England needs him and his favorite enemy is back.

So everybody gets their wish, but it makes me feel melancholy. I wonder why.

• Like 1

What's that old saying...."Growing old is mandatory growing up is optional"  but yeah the events of Season 3 had to be pretty hard on Sherlock's psyche starting the events leading up to and including "The Fall". Then there was the being captured and the beating. He was off his game and on unsure footing with John and all of London. Things had changed and moved on and he had to regain all that he felt he had sacrificed and lost during those two years.

Sometimes I think that ... and other times I think he was having the time of his life after the Fall. Go where he likes, do what he wants, adventure galore, perhaps a little time with Irene .... :o  Isn't that what happens in one of the movies? Can't remember which one.... Severn Percent Solution, maybe?

Anyway, he was pretty cocky when he came back. Or pretending to be. I know I sound like a broken record, but ... anything's possible .... since they didn't bother to tell us what really happened..... (insert emoticon for pathetic gibbering here.)

• Like 1