Since is a sibling that Mycroft doesn't like at all and seems to be trouble. I doubt Enola fits that profile. She is a crime fighter like Sherlock, yes?

In the Enola stories, Mycroft has no respect whatsoever for either his mother or his sister.  They are, after all, mere women -- and not even very good at being "womanly."

Well the writers for this series don't necessarily stick to canon when it comes to things like age ( Mrs. Hudson), or profession ( the woman ).

It seems to me they decided to go with the whole " other one " thing, so they like the idea of a 3rd sibling. Knowing them they may not even revisit Mycroft's statement, or may reveal that that sibling is dead, whoever he or she may be.

Maybe I've been watching too much Game of Thrones lately, but what if Irene Adler turns out to be the third (half-) sibling? She's certainly got the brains, and it would explain Mycroft's quip about what happened to the "other one" (he believes her dead, after all, or at least pretends to, officially). It would also definitely be a shocking twist, which Moffat seems to love. Not sure how much he'd be down with the incest vibe, though.

• Like 1

Hmm. I could see that. So hopefully Sherlock and Irene never met for dinner. Gross! Also that would mean that Sherlock would've been completely in the dark, with a younger sister, or one really close to his age. Hmmm :sherlock:

Or maybe, like someone (forgot who) speculated, Moriarty's the other one. And maybe Mycroft tried to help him out of a "burst of familial sentiment", but something went wrong and Moriarty went rogue, changed his name, and became a criminal.

EEEEWWWW no, it could never be Irene because that would mean Mycroft pushed Sherlock towards incest.  Eeeewwww.  Eeeeeewww.  

If there had been a sibling between Sherlock and Mycroft, Sherlock would have known.  If the sibling was much older, as in the real life case of BC's sister Tracy who is 17-18 years older than he is, that would also have made that child 10 years older than Mycroft, and one wonders how much Mycroft would have really known.  But he does know something.  Does Sherlock know?  Hard to say.  He has always acted like Mycroft is all he has.  No mention of any other except form Mycroft when SH wasn't around to hear it.

One thing for sure, it's going to come out in S4.

• Like 1

Bendy, you're going to need to make your type a little smaller, some of us can still read it! :D :D

• Like 3

Well, the Holmes fan tradition is that there has to be an older brother, because at one point Holmes tells Watson that his family are landed gentry (or something along those lines).  Traditionally, the eldest son inherits the estate.  But Mycroft is off in London playing British Government, ergo he's not the eldest son.  Interesting, but not (in my opinion) conclusive.

Yah, sounds a bit old-fashioned for our Sherlock.

I just think that if the sibling were closer in age to Sherlock it would have somehow come up before.  But even in HLV at the Christmas scene, it's only as if it were always Mycroft and Sherlock... no "Oh, I wish your brother could have been here."  Then again, they could throw us a loop and make it a sister.

The fact that Mycroft says what he does to me implies that Mycroft may have had a relationship of sorts with the other brother, but the age gap between that brother and Sherlock may have been so great that Sherlock never knew him... and may not even know of his existence.  

We'll all have to wait for S4 to see if "the other one" shows up - might show up for the next Christmas, who knows.

• Like 3

The fact that Mycroft says what he does to me implies that Mycroft may have had a relationship of sorts with the other brother, but the age gap between that brother and Sherlock may have been so great that Sherlock never knew him... and may not even know of his existence.

You mean when Mycroft is talking with that government official (or whatever he is)?  Yes, at the very least Mycroft is quite familiar with the story, and has even told it to that other man -- odd, considering how little we hear Mycroft talk about personal matters (perhaps there was some government scandal involved?).  And if Sherlock were aware of said "other one," then wouldn't Mycroft have said to him (on the phone), "Do you remember Sherrinford?" instead of "Do you remember Redbeard?" -- unless of course Sherlock was far more attached to Redbeard than to Sherrinford, which wouldn't surprise me at all.

• Like 1

Sfmpco, what's sad is they'll probably wait till season 4 episode 3, to reveal "the other one" or not even touch on it at all. They could have thrown it in just to reference "Sherinford" or "Enola" for fun or fan speculation. :o

Yes, it's true, it could just be a red herring, but since they consider ALL other works regarding Sherlock Holmes (the legit ones) to be canon, they can pretty much do whatever they please... and they will. 

Maybe it will be a big, happy family reunion in the Christmas episode.  Or heck, maybe the other brother was CAM.  We do know what happened to him.  No, just kidding.  Not CAM!  Not CAM!

• Like 1