My First Bow

J.P.

Hi, I'm another one from Germany. 

It's exactly one month since I had my close encounter with Sherlock and I was lost in an instant. 

It's hard to believe the series could stay below my radar for all those years, but then there were many reasons for that: Not my kind of genre. Not even remotely interested in the original story. Not knowing the actors. And it would stay this way if I hadn't heard a small comment in one of Hobbit extras on EE DVD, that BC and MF had to fly to London for Sherlock between the shootings in New Zealand. As I saw it aired during Christmas I thought I might take a look. 

What have I done... *said in Mycroft's voice from the finale of E3.3

My mind was caught by the shiny baited hook of the all over cleverness and humor and surprises (my mind likes shiny and clever things) while - as it seems - the writers knew all my strings and pressure points to play my emotions like a piano. It's like the Baker Street invaded my brain and made itself at home. Not good for healthy living (like exercising, balanced meals, going out) or hobbies and other interests. But I like obsessions.

Something about me? Half German half Polish living in southern part of Germany, far on the wrong side of forty.

It feels a little bit odd to join another fan community after 12 years. Times changed, community changed, it's quite overwhelming and a little bit uncanny. I needed a while to find out what shipping is (and no it is not my field of interest, just as I looked last time it was called slash  :rolleyes:) and still don't get the term "meta".

And then it also feels strange to join years after it all started. It's so frustrating - any bright idea you can pop up in your brain, any interpretation or interesting fact - all seems to be thought, written and found out long ago. 

So that's it. I'm looking forward to in depth discussions and also some fun. 

• Like 5

There's a wrong side of forty? :blink: If so, you'll find that one mighty crowded round here :lol:.

Welcome to the forum, J.P., and here's to many riveting discussions!

• Like 1

And then it also feels strange to join years after it all started. It's so frustrating - any bright idea you can pop up in your brain, any interpretation or interesting fact - all seems to be thought, written and found out long ago. 

So? You haven't thought it before... If we all limited ourselves to only talking about what nobody has discussed yet in this world, then we could probably all shut up for good.

I didn't know what shipping meant a couple of years ago, either. I think there's a post of mine somewhere where I ask what boats have to do with people in love.

I've never been a real fan of anything before Sherlock. Who knows why this series managed to press all the right buttons for me, but it did, and so now here I am.

Looking forward to hearing more of you, and please don't worry whether a particular question that interests you has already been discussed. I find it hard enough not to repeat myself all the time, if we have to take care now not to repeat what other people have said as well, I'll be totally lost.

Hi J.P., welcome to the madness! Don't be shy, jump right in!

Oh, to be forty again. Or even fifty again .... ah well. :)

• Like 1

I didn't know what shipping meant a couple of years ago, either. I think there's a post of mine somewhere where I ask what boats have to do with people in love.

For me shipping is what I have to pay buying my UK edition of Sherlock. I had some really weird associations...

I've never been a real fan of anything before Sherlock. Who knows why this series managed to press all the right buttons for me, but it did, and so now here I am.

I've been quite active in Viggo Mortensen community since 2003, but drifted away as he is only making films now, and this is not what I am interested in. This here is not about a person but about the whole show, the magic that was born from the right mix of right people in right time and place.

Looking forward to hearing more of you, and please don't worry whether a particular question that interests you has already been discussed. I find it hard enough not to repeat myself all the time, if we have to take care now not to repeat what other people have said as well, I'll be totally lost.

I am a big show-off - I like my theories shiny and NEW.  :D

• Like 1

Hi :wave: JP :welcome: to the forum.  We have many discussions here and discuss old episodes as if they were new because of something we missed the first several times we watched the episode.  Then there is all of the theories and speculations about the why's and wherefore's of the thinking of Moftiss (Steven Moffat & Mark Gatiss).

Hi, I'm another one from Germany. 

It's exactly one month since I had my close encounter with Sherlock and I was lost in an instant. 

It's hard to believe the series could stay below my radar for all those years, but then there were many reasons for that: Not my kind of genre. Not even remotely interested in the original story. Not knowing the actors. And it would stay this way if I hadn't heard a small comment in one of Hobbit extras on EE DVD, that BC and MF had to fly to London for Sherlock between the shootings in New Zealand. As I saw it aired during Christmas I thought I might take a look. 

What have I done... *said in Mycroft's voice from the finale of E3.3

My mind was caught by the shiny baited hook of the all over cleverness and humor and surprises (my mind likes shiny and clever things) while - as it seems - the writers knew all my strings and pressure points to play my emotions like a piano. It's like the Baker Street invaded my brain and made itself at home. Not good for healthy living (like exercising, balanced meals, going out) or hobbies and other interests. But I like obsessions.

Something about me? Half German half Polish living in southern part of Germany, far on the wrong side of forty.

It feels a little bit odd to join another fan community after 12 years. Times changed, community changed, it's quite overwhelming and a little bit uncanny. I needed a while to find out what shipping is (and no it is not my field of interest, just as I looked last time it was called slash  :rolleyes:) and still don't get the term "meta". 

So that's it. I'm looking forward to in depth discussions and also some fun. 

Hello, J.P.!

While I am unsure how to define the word "meta", I can tell you that the verb "to ship" means to place two characters together in a relationship. For example, a person who supports the idea of Sherlock and Molly as a couple would be "shipping" them. "Ship" as a noun means a relationship -- in the example the ship was Sherlock/Molly (which is Sherlolly). :smile: Hope this helped!

As for the term "slash", that usually refers to male/male ships. "Femslash" means female/female ships.

• Like 1

Hi J.P. :D

Welcome, join our discussions, talk about anything and everything about Sherlock and life in general here. We're a lively bunch and not really picky :lol: 

About the term 'meta', perhaps you would like to see this

I am a big show-off - I like my theories shiny and NEW.  :D

Well, there's a lot of new stuff happening with the special being under way and series 4 at least planned out, so I bet if you look at the cryptic clues and tantalizing photos we've gotten so far, you can come up with a few ideas that nobody has had before...

... if I hadn't heard a small comment in one of Hobbit extras on EE DVD, that BC and MF had to fly to London for Sherlock between the shootings in New Zealand. As I saw it aired during Christmas I thought I might take a look.

Have you seen all nine episodes yet, or just Series 3?  In any case, welcome to Sherlock Forum!  :welcome:

Which side would that be?  ;)

As Bendy pointed out, there's a difference between shipping (fans believing or hoping that certain characters are or will be a couple) and slash (fan fiction about romantic and/or sexual pairing, exclusively used in reference to male/male pairings). Slash has been around (under that name) since mid-70's Star Trek fandom, but shipping apparently began with X Files fans who wanted Scully and Mulder to get together.  "Ship" is a verb (example:  "I ship Greg and Molly"), and slash is an adjective sometimes used as a noun (e.g., "slash fiction").

I thought I understood "meta" till I read that wiki explanation! In simpler terms (i.e., as I understand it), the fannish term "meta" is derived from the regular word fragment (as in metaphysics), but is generally used as a noun, meaning an article explaining certain aspects of the book, movie, or TV show in real-world terms. For example, a British doctor named wellingtongoose has posted zillions of metas explaining things like what kind of a doctor John probably is, what Molly's actual job is, and how Sherlock could realistically have "come back to life" after being shot.

Hello, J.P.! :wave2:

It's never too late to join in... I think we all "blended in" quite quickly. :)

Thanks for the welcome and for the explanations. And the link. Looks like something after my fancy.  :D

BTW, I was able to dig out some outstanding ... metas too. Bright people out there. And sometimes you read and see totally new perspective and have to re-watch a bit or two. I think it's the only way to survive the waiting.

• Like 2

BTW, I was able to dig out some outstanding ... metas too. Bright people out there. And sometimes you read and see totally new perspective and have to re-watch a bit or two. I think it's the only way to survive the waiting.

Is there any other way to survive the waiting other than re-watching the show & discussing it on here infinatum? :)

Would you all mind if I open a thread in the adult area? I wouldn't be a typical adult content, but very personal, so I would prefer it staing in a protected part of the forum.

Feeling a little be awkward about it too - I just joined and don't want to be seen as someone hijacking a forum for my own purposes. The thread would still be Sherlock centered though, but from another perspective.

Any thoughts? Objections?

Would you all mind if I open a thread in the adult area? I wouldn't be a typical adult content, but very personal, so I would prefer it staing in a protected part of the forum.

Feeling a little be awkward about it too - I just joined and don't want to be seen as someone hijacking a forum for my own purposes. The thread would still be Sherlock centered though, but from another perspective.

Any thoughts? Objections?

Why would anybody mind? I just don't know how to get access to the adult area, because I've never tried. But I am sure I can figure it out.

The "How to Request Adult Access" thread can be found here.  Basically, it boils down to three rules:

1.  You must be at least 18 years of age, and you must check/tick the "over 18" box on your profile.

2.  You must have more than 20 posts on this forum.

3.  You must refrain from putting anything of an "adult" nature in your avatar or your signature.

Once you have fulfilled these three criteria, you can request adult access from an Administrator such as Tim ("Undead Medic"), and once you been granted adult access, you are free to post in the adult area, though of course the usual rules of civility and such still apply.

J.P., there has been very little traffic in the adult area for the past year, and I'm not sure there are many currently-active members who even have access -- so you might want to consider posting your thread in some other area.  If you'd like to PM me and/or another staff member regarding your topic, we might have some suggestions on how to handle it.

• 2 months later...