Recently watched movies

On 22/03/2018 at 1:00 PM, Van Buren Supernova said:

Although it's nice to see some references, Sherlock Gnomes kinda sucks. 

I don't know, too predictable, not original, nothing special, feel... nothing.

Never really intend to watch it anyway, my bad.

Yup, VBS' comment is showing up just above yours on my screen. 

Theory of Everything 7/10 I gived 7 for first part. Second part is not better than first. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Went to catch Shape of Water and Ready Player One.

Shape of Water. 7.5/10

It has nice classic touch and story telling. Although it's very predictable, I enjoyed it. The settings are done well and there are a lot of messages about inequality and hardship of the past that still exists today.

There is a scene that kind of disrupt the momentum and I hate it

the singing and dancing scene. I know what they are trying to tell but it sort of contradicting what make the characters great on the first place. It's well understood without this scene, and  only kind of dumbing down the audience at the moment and again. spoil the momentum.

There is also a scene that made me yelp and remind me of my hamster. (you'd know when you see it). I still can't get over it and feel icky and amused at the same time about how the characters react to it. Well, there is another one like that (but it doesn't remind me of what happened to my hamster). Go figure. XD

Ready Player One. 8/10

Okay, if I'd watched the trailer, I would hate it and probably wouldn't see it. Nowadays I watch movies without knowing too much about it (no trailer if I could help it) and my prediction is still very accurate, about movie I think I would hate or like.

Anyway, this movie have a lot of things that I don't like: loud, loads of animation/CGI and horrible poster (at least the one I see). But I was interested with the tittle (that is very dear to my childhood) and the genre. Although I had been disappointed by some of Spielberg's movies, he is still one of the greatest directors. 

And it was a great experience. At first, it was too loud and spinning, but then, the world is slowly introduced and I love the kind of creativity they put in there, so many things, so many ideas, so many stuffs that I can relate to as former gamer (which probably affect how I rate this). There were times in my life when I dedicated a lot of effort to play games, although it's limited at home and 'lame' games as I can't stand modern games. Finding easter eggs is one of my favorite, especially when we had limited game and had mastered the main game. The secret to crack the first game is very similar to what I had found in my childhood game. The features, interfaces, missions, I love the language of this movie. And the references! There are tons of references that eventhough it's probably a fast 'cheat' to get audiences, it's still delightful to get them.

Two things that are not so good

It feels much like watching animation, and the relationship between characters in such a short time is hardly believable

. It is also a bit short-lived in my memory after I left the theatre, although I like to imagine how it feels like to live in that world.

• Like 2

I'm a gamer on the odd occasion I actually have the time and mental energy, but I hate the trailer of Ready Player One. If it's not too much like the trailer though I might not mind it. 

The Outsider - 4/10

Netflix did it again. Disappoint.
So much potential, and such poor results.
I was pumped after I saw the trailer couple weeks back, was surprised that it was already released on Netflix as I stumbled upon it last night, and watched it after checking it out on IMDb. It has a score of 6.3 and a Metascore of 30, which is extremely low. I scrolled thru a couple of reviews, and people were giving it 10s, 9s and 8s and talking about how the critics got it all wrong once again and how you should not listen but watch it instead.
And so I did.

And if you have seen/read any review (you probably haven’t cuz nobody has seen this movie lol) you’ll hear one thing: it’s generic, and super predictable.
And that’s the main problem. The movie doesn’t take any risks, it plays every card save, its plot points are foreseeable and you have seen everything, i mean everything in different movies before.
From the foreigner that has to prove himself in a different culture, the bad guy that betrays the good guys, to the generic love story.
The movie isn’t terrible. The acting is good, good enough anyway. The directing isn’t bad, and neither is the cinematography, it’s actually quite beautiful (that said, the characters are really bland, we have no reason to care about the main character whatsoever). It’s just, that one has seen the movie before, without actually having seen it.
Oh yea Jared Leto is the lead. And he is generic as well, unfortunately.

The Outsider is one of the most forgettable and generic movies I have seen lately. I was even thinking about giving it a 3/10 or so, but the thing is, it didn’t annoy me or frustrate me, it’s not horrible, it’s just horribly generic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A Quiet Place 8/10

The last time I watched horror was The Rings, donkey years ago. It's not fun when real world is eerie and there are more supernatural stories in it that I don't need another fiction. 

I decided to go and see this, because eventhough everyone says it's horror, to me it isn't.

My definition of horror is something supernatural, I'd categorize this as sci-fi or psychological thriller. Saw the trailer when watched another movie, and confidently decided this is not horror for me.

I actually like it. One of the many things I hate about horror is the music. It's very cliche, recognizeable for that genre to use screeching annoying music. But a quiet place is different, it's the silence that is scary. The psychology of fear, and the interesting insane world the characters live in and how they cope with that.

It's quite a torture not being able to make noise, I'd imagine. However, walking out from cinema to hear screaming children and loud adults, how I wish they come and take them.

• Like 1

A Quiet Place - 8/10

Heck yea John Krasinski, heck yea.

I was a little scared that the movie wasn’t going to be good, but I really loved the concept and the trailers were promising, and when the reviews and IMDb score (8.3 at the moment) started coming in, I was confident that this movie was great.

And guess what, I wasn’t disappointed.

It’s a great movie that everyone should see, it’s not just for horror fans, I wouldn’t include myself in that list btw, it’s about family and what you would do to protect them (as Krasinski has pointed out in interviews).

It’s a really great movie that tells an interesting story in a very unique and smart way, has great performances, and is just an all around success.

To me this movie is a strong 8, maybe even a 9/10.

Side-note: I love that A Quiet Place is kind of last years ‘Get Out’, it doesn’t make any big political statements obviously, but it’s a small budget horror movie that has a pretty big hype surrounding it, is written and directed by a man mostly known for his comedic work, it is on its way of making big money etc.

I’m just happy to see these original small movies getting a lot of attention and telling movie makers that that’s what we want to see, and that despite the hundreds of sequels and crap movies we’re getting, there’s still ambitious, young filmmakers out there, at the top of their creative game.

another quick side-note lol:

It really is true that you sometimes have a hard time eating your popcorn, because everything and everyone on AND offscreen is absolutely quiet.

Plus, that one scene with John Krasinski’s character, you know it when you see it, literally gave me goosebumps multiple times in a row! It was crazy, so so good and emotionally effective.

• Like 2

what?

She’s wondering if you’d recommend watching it.
  • Like 1

Do you advice?

Oh sorry my bad ,
Umm.. yes! I definitely recommend the movie, but you have to bring time and willingness to sit through a 2h 20min movie.
Don’t underestimate the runtime.

That said, the movie is really creative in its structure and there’s no other movie quite like it, it explores fait and choices and all that and Ryan Gosling as well as Bradley Cooper are fantastic here, maybe especially Cooper.

21 hours ago, Detective said:

... it’s not just for horror fans, I wouldn’t include myself in that list btw, it’s about family and what you would do to protect them (as Krasinski has pointed out in interviews).

Sounds like what Martin Freeman has been saying about his movie Cargo (which I'd love to see if it ever becomes available to the general public).  Maybe there's a new genre in the works, call it Horror With a Heart -- something the whole family can enjoy?

Isn't Krasinski the fellow who played Jim, the American version of Freeman's Tim in The Office?  Interesting coincidence.

44 minutes ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Sounds like what Martin Freeman has been saying about his movie Cargo (which I'd love to see if it ever becomes available to the general public).  Maybe there's a new genre in the works, call it Horror With a Heart -- something the whole family can enjoy?

Isn't Krasinski the fellow who played Jim, the American version of Freeman's Tim in The Office?  Interesting coincidence.

Our Martin, going from Fargo to Cargo . . droll.

Yep, JK was the American version of MF's 'Tim'.  Wonder if those two have met?

I didn't actually watch 'Tim'--my first exposure to Mr. Freeman was as the 'Nude Stand-in Guy' in Love, Actually  (exposure was intentionally chosen in this instance.  :))

I don't think it registered with me that Nude Stand-in Guy had been tapped to be our 21st century Watson in BBC Sherlock.  If it had, I certainly would have thought, ' . .da fuq??'  The only thought I had at the time was "Martin Freeman--sounds so much like Morgan Freeman . . Americans are going to find that confusing, but of course, Morgan Freeman is not going to play Watson!"  For whatever reason, Americans don't tend to favor 'Martin' as a name for little boys.  There's Martin Mull (age 74) and Martin Short--but he's Canadian.

Even the exotic moniker Benedict Cumberbach, and the equally exotic wearer of same seemed entirely new to me.  Then I thought about it some more and realized that I had seen BC in a few larger movies (Atonement; The Other Boleyn Girl), but since I hadn't realized it was him (Sherlock was nowhere in sight, so he was going a bit incognito), my first proper intro to BC was Sherlock as well. 

Re. John Krasinski, I never thought of him as anything particularly outstanding in the ranks of American acting talent.  Genial, nice-looking, yes . .but he seemed so wholesome, normal and otherwise unremarkable that my feelings were entirely neutral.  As a sitcom actor he was proficient, but I didn't figure we were looking at the next Clint Eastwood.  Then I heard a snippet on the radio that totally charmed me.  Apparently, John fell in love with his wife, Emily Blunt, after seeing her in The Devil Wears Prada, her breakout American debut, and proceeded to watch it 100 times and more or less stalk Emily until she agreed to a date.  When Jim from the Office does stalking, it's Rom-Com charming, not creepy.

• Like 1

Apparently Cargo is coming to Netflix on the 18th of next month. Not sure if that was globally or country specific. I believe it was Sherlockology that shared it and they didn’t specify country.

11 hours ago, Hikari said:

Our Martin, going from Fargo to Cargo . . droll.

Yep, JK was the American version of MF's 'Tim'.  Wonder if those two have met?

Yeah, I've been thinking of titles for future MF productions:  Embargo, Largo, Margo....

"Tim" and "Jim" were both slated for the same American talk show a while back, and I was wondering whether they were going to mention the coincidence, but alas, JK rescheduled.

2 hours ago, SherlockedCAMPer said:

Apparently Cargo is coming to Netflix on the 18th of next month. Not sure if that was globally or country specific.

I might actually sign up for Netflix just long enough to watch Cargo -- except that my current internet service is nowhere near fast enough or reliable enough for streaming video.  Oh well, I'll just keep my fingers crossed for an eventual DVD.

I seem to be having a British films fest today. 

First off, Pride. I loved it. Important, funny, sad. I cried at the end, though I do seem to be emotional at the moment, I almost started crying on my morning commute yesterday when that part from 'The Great Dictator' came on at the end of Paolo Nutini's Iron Sky. But Pride would have made me cry anyway. Definitely an important story, two beaten down groups coming together to support each other, and just as important an idea today as it was then. 

FYI, if anyone is interested in the real story of Pride there's an article here. Pretty interesting to see the the real people.  https://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/aug/31/pride-film-gay-activists-miners-strike-interview

On a lighter note, seeing so many actors doing my accent was hilarious. :D Welsh Bill Nighy was brilliant. And of course Andrew Scott is in it, as a Welsh guy, though I don't know if the accent sounds much different to his usual one to people who aren't British...?  

Second of all Sunshine on Leith. It's a musical based on The Pretender's songs, about a couple of guys in Edinburgh fresh back from Afghanistan (or Iraq), trying to pick their lives back up and move on with their relationships. It was okay, fun enough, but I don't think I'd watch it again. 

Third up, The Full Monty. I've seen it a few times but not for ages, I'll see how well it's aged and report back. :smile:

Now if I had an Irish film I could finish my tour of the UK. :lol2: 

• Like 1

The Adventures of Tintin - 5/10

This movie had so much potential, but didn’t utilize it.
My biggest question is, why they chose the story they chose, because in my opinion the comics have some way more interesting and fun stories to tell.
It also didn’t at all capture the vibe and atmosphere of the comics, which is really unfortunate, because that’s one of the most fun parts about them.
It looked fantastic obviously , started out with a pretty interesting premise, but couldn’t keep it and was overall a disappointment to me (which is crazy, because wth, Steven Spielberg AND Peter Jackson collaborated for this).

• Confused 1

Bad Boys - 5/10

Michael Bay sucks, Will Smith is awesome.
But even someone like Smith can’t make much of what is given to him in terms of dialogue and characterization etc, so how good can he be..
Lawrence is occasionally funny, occasionally annoying.
But then, it’s Bad Boys, it’s almost a classic at this point, it’s dumb, it’s cliche, but it’s enjoyable, and.. it’s Bad Boys.
But then, Michael Bay really sucks.

• Haha 1

The first real Venom trailer is out, dunno if it looks that good but I love Venom enough that I'm still excited! Looks like they're going for a kind of possession / split personality vibe. Not sure on actual Venom though, he's weirdly shiny, I know it's because he's goop, but it just looks like they haven't textured him enough. 

Eurgh, why does everything have to have bullet time these days? Just saw a trailer for a new Robin Hood, and it's got him shooting arrows ridiculously fast, and then all the slow-mo gubbins and explosions that's in everything these days. DO SOMETHING NEW. It was amazing when the Matrix started bullet time but I'm getting sick of everything aping it. And it's Robin Hood ffs, there is no need for OTT explosions and slow-mo scenes. *sigh*

• Like 2
  • Sad 1