Recently watched movies

5 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

I read the book, I'm fairly certain, but hardly recall any of it, other than wondering why the mother was called "Marmee."  (I'm still not sure.)

I realize this isn't the proper thread (though I'm not sure there actually is a proper thread), but Alex just mentioned that there's a new Bill & Ted movie in pre-production.  NOT a remake, thank heaven.  It's another sequel, with the same actors in the title roles, this time as middle-aged guys, of course.

:D I have a fondness for Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure because I used to watch it with a girl I studied with at uni. Movies like that are great when you have been cramming for hours and are feeling light-headed and drained. It was always either Bill and Ted or Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas or some episode of a particularly trashy soap opera. Ah, those were the days. (insert deity of choice) bless that woman. I don't think I would ever have made it to graduation without her help and her DVD player. 

• Like 2

Deadpool 1 and 2

I wasn't sure if I'd like it, I'm can't stand R rated movies or tv shows which is why I avoid game of thrones because I would be traumatized.

But my best friend kept pestering me to see it and said it wasn't that bad if you looked away at the right moment, because her judgement is almost right I agreed with it on the condition that we'd see the first movie on DVD and she'd buy the tickets for the second movie.

Anyway, I didn't like the first movie that much: the flashbacks where chaotic, the fourth wall breaking and the humour wasn't that funny. I give it a 6/10

The second movie was definitely an improvement: the flashbacks where less chaotic, the humour was better and it had great diversity. This one gets a 8/10

• Like 1

Incredibles 2 - 7/10

Not going to lie and say I waited for this for 14 years.. I watched the first one only a couple months ago for the first time .

Anyway, the first one was a 8/10 for me, the sequel is definitely a lot of fun, but doesn’t quite hold up the awesomeness of its predecessor. For instance the villain isn’t quite as strong in my opinion, I kind of knew who the bad ‘guy’ was going to be after some time and the character wasn’t the greatest, whereas in the first movie the ‘fan boy gone wrong’ had a great story and motivation.

Still, I had an absolute fun time watching this one although the theater was packet, there were way too many kids, and I had to sit front row.

The best part for me were Jack Jack and Enda Mode (the artist/designer) who, did you know, is being voiced by the director Brad Bird himself?!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/30/2018 at 9:15 AM, Artemis said:

I saw “Deadpool 2” yesterday.  I dislike crude/sexual humor, but I was able to put that aside and enjoy the rest of it, which was hilarious.  The audience was absolutely roaring with laughter, which is unusual in my experience.

Also, Domino has my favorite superpower (yes, Deadpool, it is a superpower) in the entire Marvelverse, lol.  I want it.  If she’s supremely lucky, and I’m supremely unlucky, would that make me her arch-nemesis? :P 

I wouldn't bet against your odd. :p Sorry but rest assured I probably make some money in the Deadpool for your battle. XD

Immorality is pretty scary I think. It's awesome to have superpower (I guess) but Deadpool's? Not sure if I want it.

On 6/2/2018 at 10:31 PM, J.P. said:

Alien: Covenant
What a waste of time. I actually thought it could not be worse than the last one, but it was. The same cringeworthy errors and "nobody-does-it-this-way" moments of stupidity. No concept behind the story. Not even M Fassbender can save it.

Which particular errors or scene that you can't stand? I suppose there are quite a lot in Convenant, but when I watched it, I don't remember being bothered too much by it, as Alien only goes as far as I expected, the plotline is very similar, predictable jump scare, so I have low expectation and hope for nothing than just 'another alien movie', and wanted to rest my leg and shut down from the world for two hours so it probably affected the way I feel it. Anyway, beside Alien 2, nothing of this franchise impressed me anyway. There is only that much story line and it has become way too repetitive. I'd be much more fascinated with District 9 for example.

On 5/23/2018 at 10:39 AM, Arcadia said:

I agree. That's the perfect way to describe it. Unless you just don't like superhero movies, which I can understand; most of them get a little tiresome. But this is one of those movies that just stayed with me for days, and that doesn't happen often. I want to see it again too, for the same reason you mentioned, Artemis.

I feel the same. Was quite jaded with superhero movie but I like Infinity Wars. I think the main reason is probably the villain?

Villain that is not one (or two?) dimensional is more interesting than say, villain in Suicide Squad. For Tharnos, I can see the reason behind what he does eventhough it's probably very wrong.

But he is willing to sacrifice as well, so when he is that jaded, with that reason, and would go through the same thing the rest of the world who lost his love ones went through, he becomes a sympathetic villain, and that is a good recipe.

The other good stuff,  I like both Sherlock's interactions. And for some reasons, Captain and Thor looks much much better in Infinity War. Not sorry but I never had any liking with them in previous movies in term of appearance or character (can't really stand the Captain being so self righteous) but they are alright here and Wakanda is not that unbearable (not sorry I HATE Black Panther).

One thing bothers me though,

why didn't they rip that thingy out of Vision way way before it's too late? I get that they want zero casualty, but seriously? Consider the impact, the pro and cons, the ability of your enemy versus you, and can't you rebuild Vision later? Or I probably get something wrong? I didn't watch Age of Ultron. But seriously! And damn you, Star Lord, look what happen to Sherly!) Anyway, although it's nice scene, I didn't take all the deaths seriously, well, yes, except Loki.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

I feel the same. Was quite jaded with superhero movie but I like Infinity Wars. I think the main reason is probably the villain?

Villain that is not one (or two?) dimensional is more interesting than say, villain in Suicide Squad. For Tharnos, I can see the reason behind what he does eventhough it's probably very wrong.

Reveal hidden contents

But he is willing to sacrifice as well, so when he is that jaded, with that reason, and would go through the same thing the rest of the world who lost his love ones went through, he becomes a sympathetic villain, and that is a good recipe.

Reveal hidden contents

why didn't they rip that thingy out of Vision way way before it's too late? I get that they want zero casualty, but seriously? Consider the impact, the pro and cons, the ability of your enemy versus you, and can't you rebuild Vision later? Or I probably get something wrong? I didn't watch Age of Ultron. But seriously! And damn you, Star Lord, look what happen to Sherly!) Anyway, although it's nice scene, I didn't take all the deaths seriously, well, yes, except Loki.

VBS! You're alive! Still having internet issues, I guess.

I wondered the same thing about Vision, and agree with the other points in your spoilers. So there's not really much point to my post except to say hi. :-)  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Arcadia said:

Pseud, here's one:

In general, I am not a fan of the Dr. Strange ginger-facial hair-weird sideburn wings-towering swoop thing that's going on, but can I just say that Ben has really excellent lips?  He can carry off a beard with a strongly-chiseled mouth like he's got, but I am not a fan of facial hair as such on most people, including BC.

The Strange stare is very intense, though.

Yes you most certainly can. 😎

Oh yes, actually I like everything in his face, mostly I like his frown. :smile:

@Arcadia I am alive! Not internet problem much, but more on forum problem. It takes me much longer to post replies here with the loggin in and out problem and inability to log in sometimes that I hesitate to drop by if I don't have long enough free time to spare.

But I have problem with my jeans though. XD Since I found very comfortable jeans I purchased a few of them and lately they are not as fitting as usual! There are excess fabric on my back side it's either I lost weight or I have lost my shapely bu.... *look around* this information sharing is getting oit of hand I think. That is the problem when you ask a bored person how are you, they actually tell you! Wait, you didn't ask?!?!? :blanket:

Back to movies, has anyone watched Jurrasic Park, Ocean 8 and Incredibles? The cinema was so pack and all seats were full when I peeked at it during my grocery shopping.

23 minutes ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

But I have problem with my jeans though. XD Since I found very comfortable jeans I purchased a few of them and lately they are not as fitting as usual! There are excess fabric on my back side it's either I lost weight or ....

Is this before or after washing them?  I find that my jeans get a size or two bigger after I wear them for a few days, then they regain their nominal size after they're washed and machine-dried.

Yes, it happens to me too, the loosening after few days.

But lately even when they are just been washed they already feel lose, and pretty sure I'm not losing weight. Dang it, I'm losing my butt is it...?!?

Something's definitely being lost.  As for the movies,  not yet.  Want to see the Incredibles but can't afford to.  Jurassic I only like the music, Ocean's 8 haven't decided if I want to see it or not.

3 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

Yes, it happens to me too, the loosening after few days.

But lately even when they are just been washed they already feel lose, and pretty sure I'm not losing weight. Dang it, I'm losing my butt is it...?!?

Maybe your butt is becoming more muscular?  Muscle is heavier, and therefore more compact, than fat.  So you could weigh the same but still have a trimmer butt.

Have you recently started doing anything that uses your butt muscles a lot?

I wasn't going to mention this, as it seems impolite, but you're right, your butts gone concave. 

• Haha 1

Which brings us to the topic of movie. I guess I won't have problem smuggling snacks to cinema anymore then :p!

I remember seeing a concave butt of an example of plastic surgery went wrong 
and it looked gross actually.

@Carol I do plan to exercise more often but as far as I know the plan hasn't been relished into reality much yet XD and I don't have anything focused on that area as I'm pretty happy with how it is, I just plan to do more cardio to get back to the endurance level I had when I was 25. If it's possible!! I also haven't weighed myself in years to know the difference.

Let's not dwell on concave butt but I will update you in case I manage to smuggle lots of stuff later, going to catch JP before I fetch my doggie home tomorrow since he sort of forbidding me to have night, eh, evening life whenever he is around. :)

• Like 1

Lol, talking about food smuggling - when I was in school they stopped us bringing food in from outside, there used to be people at the gates checking. They quickly cottoned on to the old 'coat slung over arm' trick so we had to get smarter - I used to put food in my hood, where they never thought to look. 

On 6/18/2018 at 1:21 AM, Van Buren Supernova said:

Immorality is pretty scary I think. It's awesome to have superpower (I guess) but Deadpool's? Not sure if I want it.

Yeah, I definitely wouldn't want Deadpool's superpower, no thanks.  Immortality never appealed to me anyway.

For Thanos, I can see the reason behind what he does even though it's probably very wrong.

I like how you say, "probably".  :P

Thanos was not a sympathetic villain at all for me.  I understood his reasoning, but understanding it was not enough to rouse my sympathy.  Same kinda deal with Star-Lord's outburst.  I understand why he reacted that way, but it's hard for me to feel sympathetic to it when he ruined everything because he couldn't control himself for 5 more seconds, lol.

I'd really like to see "Incredibles 2", but I can't afford another movie right now.  I love the first one, it might be my favorite Pixar film.  I don't expect the second one to be as good, but I still really want to see it.

I'm completely blasé about the new "Jurassic" film.  I really liked JP 1 and 3, but I'm just kinda over it now.  Tired of the reboots and the remakes and the multiple sequels.  "Ocean's 8", same deal.  I'm starting to wonder if we have just run out of stories to tell.

What did you hate about "Black Panther", VBS?

(Nice to see you again, by the way.  :smile: )

HI @Van Buren Supernova

:wave:

I think? the last movie I saw in the theater was Avengers: Infinity War, which was rather disappointing as the only character I truly care about is Loki.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Pseudonym said:

... when I was in school they stopped us bringing food in from outside.

You weren't even allowed to bring your lunch from home?  Any idea why?

You could bring it from home, you just couldn't bring it in from the chip shops outside the gates. 

What if the chip shop is, well, your only source/what you regard as 'from home'? There are certain times when we didn't have home prepared meal although mostly we would eat at school anyway.

@sittything @artemis ay ay nice to see you guys too let me check if this emotie is still working...  :cowdance: :cowdance: :cowdance: and... yes it is!

@artemis, let me dig my rant about Black Panther back then:

I think I need to write something more about why I still hate it, because it is possible I could be the only one.

To me, the whole watching experience goes like this. I was hopeful in the beginning, didn't like the trailer (except Hallo John! Hey it's John!!), but since it's Marvel I hoped to be at least entertained. So yah, as part of the story and world being revealed I started to get very bored. To me, it's cliche, the characters have no chemistry and if the only person who seems natural and believable to me is some villain guy who doesn't really hold important part, then I have a problem.

Disclaimer, I have no idea how the story is based on real world and how much my knowledge still hold. Used to read quite a bit about various cultures and tribes of Africa and I feel like (really hope I am wrong) they are trying too hard or not hard enough to get those into the diversity of BP world. We see bits and pieces of Mali, Tuareg, Ndebele, brass neck ring, mouth plate (good god, the guy is everywhere, it feels like they want to show how exotic these people are, and the solution is showing him!), but those bits and pieces are just thrown in together in mess with some (weird) modifications that irritate me, because that's it, that's all. It almost feel disrespectful to the richness of those cultures.

That aside, I failed to feel anything with the main characters. Nothing, nada, didn't feel any sympathy for their cause or believe in anything they want to sell, or whether they are convincing in their roles. The queen was decent, the villain I mentioned earlier (forget name), and Winston Duke from rival tribe is okay (because Iike him from Person of Interest too), too bad didn't feel much for Martin Freeman's role as well. I believe the general can kick ass but the rest, nope, not buying that this and that guy/gal is great at whatever they are supposed to be good at.

The storyline is thinner than paper and as cliche as any 80ties movies as it could be. Didn't miss anything, predictable thoughout.

Have to say that this probably one of the very rare time that I feel sooooo bored watching movie from big screen I started to wish that it ends half way through and happily napping.

But that is just me.

That was the review I wrote back then and tbh, still feel the same and apparently everyone else loves it. The only movies I fell asleep in the cinema was Godfather 3 (if I remember the installment correctly) I watched it when I was merely 13 or something, Transformer (Good God they are loud and boring at the end) and Black Panther (the difference is I was already bored starting from 1/3 of the movie).