Help with the new look Sherlock Forum!

Undead Medic

Whenever I tried to post a reaction today, a blank notification came up on the screen, and I couldn't see it, but now I can!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, SherLOCKED123 said:

Whenever I tried to post a reaction today, a blank notification came up on the screen, and I couldn't see it, but now I can!

Right, now that you're on the Light theme.  It's not blank on the dark theme either, but you'd need to highlight it in order to make it visible.

• Like 1

Okay, so there are several methods to do this, but all of them involve that you a] have the picture present on the internet somewhere else (the process is called hotlinking) and b] know its exact address.

For a], that doesn't mean that *you* needed to have uploaded that pic in the first place, but it does mean that it has to be on a site that is okay with hotlinking (also, if it's not yours, check if it's under creative commons or otherwise free to use). That is generally the case with dedicated hosting platforms like imgur, and works for pictures on tumblr as well. Anywhere else, check first, or when in doubt upload a duplicate on an image hosting site yourself.

For b], hosting sites sometimes provide that address of their own volition, see the following example:

Jypmnb8.png

What you'd want here is either Direct Link or BBCode (more on that later). Generally, you get the address by right-clicking on the picture in question, then choosing (depending on browser used) something that states "copy graphics address" or similar (sorry, German browser here, I can only guess how exactly yours calls it). If you don't find something like that, choose something that sounds like "show picture" or such, then copy the address from the browser (it should now show up where you usually type in a website's address). When you have some string copied that ends in a graphics format (like .jpg or .gif), you know you've done it right.

So, onward to c], actually making the thing show up here. The easiest way is just to copy the address from above into the text window here, the forum is intelligent enough to understand what you want from it. However, that'll show a shrunk version of the picture, and only clicking on it will show the full size. Depending on the pic, that might not be ideal. If you want it to be displayed full-sized, you need to use BBCode (promised that'd come up again, didn't I). Look at that pic above again and notice how there's a so-called tag in front of the address, the stuff with the brackets around it. This is forumspeak for "picture to follow", and doing the same, only with a / before the img, says "picture stops here". But again, just copying in the address works perfectly fine, so don't bother with BBCode if you don't feel like it. :smile:

eta: forgot that the "Insert other media", then "Insert image from URL" route works as well. In that case, though, it's just pasting the address there instead of here.

• Like 1

Thanks, Caya!  I didn't see any further response from you over on the Funny Pictures thread, so I posted the basics there -- then saw that you'd done a much more thorough job here, which is of course the logical place for it.

I should point out, though, that it's not at all necessary for members to post a question more than once, even if your original post is in an odd place.  The moderators keep an eye on all new posts, so we'll see your question next time we're online, regardless of where you post it.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

For some reason I can't post in Shoot the Wall thread. Yesterday I tried on the phone, it kicked me out over twenty times. Come back in, take forever to load, wrote somethig, log me out, repeat. I thought it was my phone and gave up. I experienced this before, but never like this with totally zero chance after a LOT of attempts.

Tried again just now with laptop, it loads, I am in, but can't write because the reply box never expand, didn't let me quote as well. And loading time actually longer than me making an omelette, and more. This page finally load, so at least I could inform this, but I wouldn't try again, at least for today. It's frustrating.

Phone, laptop, all the same with what I always use, I even restarted them just in case. Internet is fine, every other things load as usual.

• Confused 1

Sorry to hear that! :( Did you try clearing your browser cache? (explanation here in case you need it: https://clear-my-cache.com/en/windows.html ) Please try if you haven't done so yet and then tell us whether it made a difference.

• Like 1

I always clear my cache and history everytime I visit sites that require log-in.

Still not sure what went down, today it seems fine so far. Seriously you guys didn't experience lagging the past two days? Is it only me and this site?

Why don't you all believe me that it's going after me... should I wear mask while typing so it doesn't see my nose? But I have always covered my camera!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

Seriously you guys didn't experience lagging the past two days? Is it only me and this site?

My internet service (or my computer, who knows?) is sometimes woefully slow to respond, and yes it's been doing that the past few days -- but I don't recall ever noticing that it was only on this site.  There are other weird things sometimes, though, and I believe some of them have involved the forum, though I don't recall the specifics (except for that time about a year ago when the forum was actually down for a couple of days).

Anyhow, glad to see that it's treating you better today!

Yes I managed to make few posts with it only kicking me out twice, which is considered a very good day!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Brief observation on New forum look:

- I am amused that in some thread I feel like I am watching movie. There are timeline like '3 weeks later...'😁

- Anyone find the red text very difficult to read or is it just my eyes?

- I am not very sure, are we losing the customizable rank?

7 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

I feel like I am watching movie. There are timeline like '3 weeks later...'

:rofl:

Anyone find the red text very difficult to read or is it just my eyes?

Not just yours.  it's often not enough contrast for me.

I am not very sure, are we losing the customizable rank?

I haven't noticed.  Am on my phone right now (and not sure how that used to look on the mobile theme), but will check later when I'm on my computer.

Yikes!  You're right -- I don't offhand see ANY ranks, just the three general categories (Detectives, Moderators, Administrators), shown in two different places.  Tim has been working on several things, so this may be a temporary situation.

Thanks for mentioning it.

Also, I'm not sure that BBCode is ever saved as such.  As I recall, at least some codes (e.g., links) have always been translated into HTML and saved in that form.

• 1 month later...

I wanted to check on my old thread because I remember that I did some article research that I could use now.

It was 'Sherlock Fun Facts and Trivia' but I can't find it anymore? I don't remember putting any keywords but I remember the title and sub-area I posted it.

So I checked my own profile to see that it should appear on threads I started I suppose, but I only found two.

I have only started very few threads during my whole existence here, so I remember them all (I think) and there should be at least four missing including the one I mentioned.

Is there any clearing up for old threads? It seems very unlikely that they are gone by themselves, because I could even find my online footprints on other sites decades ago.

What happened and are there ways to find them?

• Confused 1

I have no idea, VBS.  There have been times when I couldn't find something that I remembered seeing (or even remembered posting) here, but several times I found it later and realized I had misremembered a key word -- so I tend to blame all my "missing" items on faulty memory -- though now you've got me wondering if that's always been the case.

If it's any help, I remember that thread of yours, and will see if I can find it.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

I wanted to check on my old thread because I remember that I did some article research that I could use now.

It was 'Sherlock Fun Facts and Trivia' but I can't find it anymore?

It's still there.  I would post a link, but I seem to be missing most of my editor buttons right now (which is at least better than missing most of my marbles, I hope).  I suspect you searched on the entire title (as you remembered it), and it's actually "Sherlock's" rather than "Sherlock."  Fortunately I searched on just "Fun Facts" and it came right up.

It's in the BBC Sherlock General Discussion area, currently toward the bottom of the first page.

Like I said, most of my own "missing" items are due to slightly faulty memory.  Welcome to the club!

• Thanks 1

On 9/13/2021 at 1:34 AM, Van Buren Supernova said:

I am not very sure, are we losing the customizable rank?

Can't say whether it was there or not when you asked, but just happened to notice it today.  It's been moved to the bottom of the stuff under your avatar.

Custom ranks can currently be modified (and possibly added by those who are already Consulting Detectives) under "Retained" at the bottom of the profile-edit page.

I still don't see a regular rank (e.g., Constable or Consulting Detective) anywhere under anyone's avatar, but it does show up on everyone's profile, both the drop-down version and the full page.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

I suspect you searched on the entire title (as you remembered it), and it's actually "Sherlock's" rather than "Sherlock."  Fortunately I searched on just "Fun Facts" and it came right up.

Ahhh thank you! And now I could see all my threads too, which is.. very few :D

I used my phone when I searched for it, maybe it didn't fully display them? Because pretty sure there were only two threads in my profile (that I started) or this

12 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Like I said, most of my own "missing" items are due to slightly faulty memory. 

Although slightly faulty memory is an understatement for me.

I have been using this memory excuse forever and more frequently now. Basically, I blame everything on that. So, when I was on my third grade, I had to go for tonsil's removal operation because I got problem, high fevers and they were swollen. I lived in small town, healthcare was questionable, my family was poor but it reached the point that it had to be done.

Questionable healthcare explanation: for example, they used chloroform to sedate me, not in gentle way. The surgeon sneaked out behind me, while the nurse distracted me with conversation, and he put the cloth with chloroform to my face and held me down until I passed out. My parents said I gave them a couple of good kicks. My dad had to carry, I supposed oxygen tank during some complication because they didn't prepare for proper standard procedure when I had to be moved. Anyway, why am I rambling here.

Before and after the surgery, I was told that some memory lost was expected. Can't remember whether they blamed it on frequent high fever or something.

Finally, we come to the end of story, every time my family laugh at me for forgetting something, I always say, "because I had my tonsil removed."

It doesn't make a lot of sense, but I think I have to use it outside my family now therefore I told the story. :D

11 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

I still don't see a regular rank (e.g., Constable or Consulting Detective) anywhere under anyone's avatar, but it does show up on everyone's profile, both the drop-down version and the full page.

Yes I see that now! There goes my hope to get some carrots.

7 minutes ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

I used my phone when I searched for it, maybe it didn't fully display them?

Heaven knows!  Discrepancies between phone and computer seem to vary from person to person, even if both are using the same OS and browser.

10 minutes ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

they used chloroform to sedate me, not in gentle way. The surgeon sneaked out behind me, while the nurse distracted me with conversation, and he put the cloth with chloroform to my face and held me down until I passed out.

I got ether (nasty smelling stuff!), but they were more polite, just told me to count backwards.

However whenever I had a bad sore throat (mostly before I had my tonsils out), it took two grown men (my father and the doctor) to hold me down for the penicillin shot (which used a huge needle in those days).

17 minutes ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

Before and after the surgery, I was told that some memory lost was expected.

Yes, that is very common, even with more modern anesthesia.  It can last several days.

20 minutes ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Yes, that is very common, even with more modern anesthesia.  It can last several days

Or thirty over years?