Ruthyone

Cumberb*****s to change their name

http://cartermatt.com/112004/sherlock-season-4-benedict-cumberbatch-talks-his-new-fan-name/

Sherlock fans known as 'Cumberb*****s are changing their name to 'Cumbercollectives' - much nicer if you ask me!!

• Like 1

"Cumbercollectives" sounds nice. :)

Oh thank goodness! It was extremely awkward before  :lol:

It was awkward for Benedict Cumberatch to say.

• Like 2

Tbh, I had no idea the other expression had been used.

It's been around for quite awhile. As far back as Star Trek:Into Darkness and maybe even before.

There's been talk of making that change for quite some time -- Cumberbatch mentioned it on television last May, I believe.  So yeah, maybe it's changing, but maybe some people prefer to stick with the original term.  It's not like there's any central control.

The original term has the obvious problem that it's rude, but it seems to me that "the Cumbercollective" also has a problem, namely that it is a collective term.  It's like saying "all the Cumberb*tches."  So an individual would need to identify herself as "a member of the Cumbercollective," which is kinda awkward.  Doesn't have the same kick, either.

This is one of those times when I'm just as glad to be more of a Freeman fan!  :D

• Like 1

I always rather liked Cumberbaebes (with that spelling)...

• Like 1

Maybe we could think up a nice name for 'Cumberbatch' and suggest it to them ;)

Cumberbatchian? :D

• Like 1

The collective name could of course be simply "The Cumber Batch."

• Like 5

I've heard that one before, I think ... some fans calling themselves Cumbercookies so they could collectively be the Cumberbatch.

• Like 2

Well, that works.  :D

A bit cutesy and vaguely sexist, but -- hey, it's an improvement.

Well, that works.  :D

A bit cutesy and vaguely sexist, but -- hey, it's an improvement.

Definitely an improvement!  :D

How about the 'Cumberbelles'?

I thought the man himself came up with the best one ... "Cumber People". It's not gender specific!

• Like 1

How about Cumber Kooks -- kinda like Cucumber swapped around.  As Arcadia said about BC's own suggestion, it's not gender-specific.

• Like 1

It's difficult to come up with a collective noun that isn't:

1. Twee
  2. Sexist (Many names are either sexist in their depiction of women, or are gender specific, thus alienating male fans)
  3. Misogynistic
  4. Stereotypical (Not all Sherlock fans are female, or identify as such)
  5. Just plain derogatory

It is one of the reasons I have never subscribed to a lot of fandom collective terms.

Some that I don't mind include:

1. Whovian
  2. Sherlockian
  3. Trekkie/Trekker
  4. Gater (although not one I use)
  5. Geek (This is one descriptor I do use for myself, and am quite proud of)
  6. Nerd, (This one varies, depending on who uses it)
  • Like 2

I remember once a couple of my classmates were standing and discussing Star Trek: Into Darkness. There was this girl I was interested in and she was speaking. Admiring Star Trek (Which guy doesn't like that about a girl) she said that she loved Benedict Cumberbatch. I shouted "Cumberbitch" so loud everybody started looking at me and gave an awkward look. Blew all the chances I had. Phew !

They should definitely change it.

• Like 2

You knew about Cumberbitches and she still didn't go for you? Blew her chance, is what I'd call that :lol:.

Speaking of Star Trek, I recently noticed that you're from Chandigarh - did you know that the Palace of the Great Khan was located there, according to the tie-in novels?

• Like 1

Haha, she unfortunately didn't know about that. I am apparently more of a cumberbitch than her.

No, I didn't know that. That is so cool. I'll now have to read this novel to understand Chandigarh's relation to Star Trek.

• Like 1

Aww, I know this sounds completely against the wave here, but I was proud of being a Cumberbitch...

Aww, I know this sounds completely against the wave here, but I was proud of being a Cumberbitch...

I think, perhaps, it's the modern age. Certain words were counted as offensive like calling someone a b***h a time ago. Today, I don't think a lot of people mind and new words come along. The real meaning of the word 'b***h' is a female dog and I love dogs.

aAzFnj1.jpg

• Like 2