Benedict Cumberbatch in "Hamlet"

sfmpco

I love public speaking, but everybosdy gets nervous...that's natural and normal.

But it's part of the job for actors and I honestly cannot see them being more anxious about a camera than a theatre audience.

I suppose it depends on the actor -- and maybe the combination of a camera and a live audience would be more distracting than either one by itself.  Assuming that there's an audience when they're filming -- does anyone happen to know?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Both sensibly written articles though, I liked them.

New article re: recap of his career and Hamlet.  Nothing really new.  

http://issuu.com/runwildmedia/docs/vantage_aug_15

Even if it's nothing new, the photos are nice to look at.

• Like 2

The beginning of that article really goes to show why BC is right about the name "Cumberbitches..."

The rest of it's not bad, though.

• Like 1

The first performance was this evening (Tuesday)?  [Nope -- see below.]  It's going on 1 a.m. in London, so there should be reviews any time now.

Meanwhile, here are some new articles:

The theater is not allowing fans to ask for autographs or to leave gifts for Mr. Cumberbatch.

Strict ticket-security measures are in place, to make sure the people who actually bought the tickets get to see the play.

And fans started queuing up a day ahead for the opening day's 30 ten-pound tickets.

Added:  Sorry, no, Hamlet opens tomorrow (Wednesday the 5th).  I misread an article!

You know, it's bad enough when fan girls just don't get it...but even worse when it's journalists.

Benedict is mega rich, he never needs to work again.

He certainly doesn't need a good broadway run(and I hope for one he doesn't go for this) to fund the future education of his son and any other children.

• Like 2

As an answer to a tweet of Leo Bill playing Horatio someone wrote the following:

fingers crossed you get audience. Can be hard sometimes getting people in with Shakespeare. Let me know if you need help flyering

So much for Ben being an universally known super-star. :P

• Like 2

I mean here we are again...what is wrong with these people?

Do they live in an alternative universe or something!

Or though hang on, sorry, I get it now...I guess that was a joke!

I haven't really had a humour bypass!

• Like 1

Even more when I read something like THAT plus the comments.

I think the term Cumberbitch finally backfired at the fandom.

scream.gif

This and the post just above generated a discussion about the term "Cumberbitches", which I have left in the original thread. If you're looking for it, the discussion starts here.  -- Arcadia

Edited by Arcadia
explain missing content

The first review I've seen.  Not much analysis (it's the Daily Mail, after all), but at least there are what appear to be several photos of the actual production.  Most of the article is actually a repeat of an earlier piece about the ticket queue.

• Like 1

This piece is a well-written description of the audience (polite but enthusiastic), the set (distinctive), and the tweaks to Shakespeare's script (not devastating) -- but it's not really a review either.  In fact, it says this:

A first preview is not the place to offer analysis of the performances. This play has three weeks to run in before it opens to the critics. Cumberbatch’s interpretation of the title role is going to shift and develop.

How incredibly civilized!

While hunting for responses to the play, I found out that Elsinore Castle was a real place -- and in fact still is (though Elsinore is actually the name of the town, not the castle itself).  There are regular tours, and sometimes Hamlet is performed there.

• Like 2

Ha, just as I was reading that, Jon Stewart did a spoof Hamlet soliloquy... :smile:

I don't get the Sargent reference, looks more like West Side Story to me!

Apparently it was Mummy's birthday yesterday and the family were there for the opening night, all (including Benedict) were a bit tearful afterwards...but yes, it seems to have been a triumph.

• Like 1

Goodness! I just hope everything goes on swimmingly, but I would LOVE to watch him play Coriolanus. Hamlet, not really my thing! Yes, there is an Elsinore Castle, and Elsingborg nearby, and Schleswig-Holstein was at the time part of the Kingdom of Daenemark, as was Greenland and Iceland and parts of Ireland, and why do I continue to be surprised that Americans are not taught geography at school? Or is it something everyone deletes, like the Solar system? ^_^

The funniest incident occurred when a friend of the family and an eminent economics professor at the University of Illinois (Urbana) who had received his Ph.D at Berkley, no less, asked if Munich was in Bavaria or Bavaria in Munich. Every time the question comes up in family conversations, everyone cracks up. SORRY!

• Like 1