Myers-Briggs personality types -- and quiz

Arcadia

I read an interview some where earlier today where Benedict put Sherlock as an Extrovert. And my response was "really?!" As much as Sherlock likes being around people (he's definitely not shy), I see him as the type that needs down time more so than most extroverts. He may not be a high percentage introvert like I am, but I would not consider him extroverted.

I read that too and had the same reaction .... but look how much Sherlock enjoys showing off. That's not a very introverted trait, so maybe BC's on to something.

Sherlock shows off, but wants to remain behind the scenes at least at first.

Hhmmmmm, another thing to ponder and maybe see if Moftiss might ever answer that question.

I'd buy that he's close to the line.  Like you say, the whole "genius needs an audience" thing is very E-sounding, but Sherlock definitely doesn't seek out people and public situations to reenergize.  Maybe Sherlock is the most E of any of BC's characters he's played recently?

That's an interesting theory Boton. I could possibly see that.

I wouldn't call Sherlock sociable. The question is, whether that means he's an introvert. He seems to need an awful lot of external stimulus and to get fatally bored when that is missing. Yes, he does need time to himself sometimes, but that's when he's trying to figure out a problem. He doesn't give me the impression of someone who strolls around his mind palace just for fun, he uses it to organize outside-world information and deal with outside-world puzzles.

The original Mr Holmes I think was an introvert. No wonder he ended up living the life of a hermit, basically, out in the middle of nowhere with his bees. But Sherlock? I'm not sure.

• Like 2

tumblr_static_tumblr_m8q5roubfm1rzv58bo1

I keep sitting here trying to figure out what I think he is.  I think my initial reaction would be introvert, just because I've never gotten the sense he feeds off other people for energy.  But then I'm a solid introvert, and come across as extroverted to most people (people tend to describe me as bubbly and outgoing) so there you go.   Obviously none of us are 100% one or the other, it's all a matter of being on a spectrum, embodying some but not all characteristics of both.  I would definitely say Mycroft is an introvert... but Sherlock.... hmmmm....

• Like 6

See, introversion versus extroversion is a spectrum, with the middling areas being ambiversion. Maybe Sherlock's ambiverted with a slight preference for introversion.

• Like 3

I definitely see Sherlock as an introvert. Sometimes he doesn't talk for days and he generally doesn't exactly seek other people's company. I think an extrovert would die of this kind of lifestyle.

Though, coming to think of it: What if Sherlock really was an extrovert, but chose an introvert lifestyle to suit his ideal of professionalism? This may be the reason why he is so extremely bored and why talking helps him to think?

But then again, he really doesn't seem to enjoy those rare occasions when he's in a group of "friends", like Christmas in Baker Street. If he was an extrovert, he should be more enthusiastic to join the conversations and not sit in front of his computer.

However - ... no, if I keep looking for proof that he is either extrovert or introvert, I'll still be pondering on this tomorrow. So I'll join those who say is somewhere in the middle of the spectrum and shows traits of both.

• Like 2

See, introversion versus extroversion is a spectrum, with the middling areas being ambiversion. Maybe Sherlock's ambiverted with a slight preference for introversion.

I can totally see that as a possibility as he's definitely not shy.

I wouldn't call Sherlock sociable. The question is, whether that means he's an introvert. He seems to need an awful lot of external stimulus and to get fatally bored when that is missing. Yes, he does need time to himself sometimes, but that's when he's trying to figure out a problem. He doesn't give me the impression of someone who strolls around his mind palace just for fun, he uses it to organize outside-world information and deal with outside-world puzzles.

The original Mr Holmes I think was an introvert. No wonder he ended up living the life of a hermit, basically, out in the middle of nowhere with his bees. But Sherlock? I'm not sure.

His being bored is a probably more a sign of intelligence versus introvert/extrovert.  When I get bored, I get tired.  My brain starts shutting down and wants a nap.  Sherlock needs mental stimulation to keep himself from doing something completely stupid (in comparison to what he already does that drives "normal" people up the wall).

I definitely see Sherlock as an introvert. Sometimes he doesn't talk for days and he generally doesn't exactly seek other people's company. I think an extrovert would die of this kind of lifestyle.

Though, coming to think of it: What if Sherlock really was an extrovert, but chose an introvert lifestyle to suit his ideal of professionalism? This may be the reason why he is so extremely bored and why talking helps him to think?

But then again, he really doesn't seem to enjoy those rare occasions when he's in a group of "friends", like Christmas in Baker Street. If he was an extrovert, he should be more enthusiastic to join the conversations and not sit in front of his computer.

However - ... no, if I keep looking for proof that he is either extrovert or introvert, I'll still be pondering on this tomorrow. So I'll join those who say is somewhere in the middle of the spectrum and shows traits of both.

I say that works. :)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Girl bye! No big deal you missed that I am extroverted! Technically, I don't not like Molly, as much as I feel sorry for her... She's very smart, but she comes off as really dopey sometimes. But it does seem everyone else adores her except me. 

And that shows the difference between extroverts and introverts. Introverts can sympathize with Molly and her behaviour because she's "one of us" but extroverts (it seems it's only you here :D) can't. 

Not here. Stand up straight and be dignified, Molly!  :P

INTJ
Introvert(56%)  iNtuitive(75%)  Thinking(75%)  Judging(89%)
You have moderate preference of Introversion over Extraversion (56%)
You have distinct preference of Intuition over Sensing (75%)
You have distinct preference of Thinking over Feeling (75%)
You have strong preference of Judging over Perceiving (89%)

Memorado quiz: INTJ - THE SCIENTIST
Introverted - Intuition - Thinking - Judging

intj-d3ea9efede96b1f75ba8d40db2b00398.jp

Wait, wait, is that the evil bat of the Hogwarts' dungeon?! :blink:
  • Like 1

Wait, wait, is that the evil bat of the Hogwarts' dungeon?! :blink:

He's really one of the good guys :)

:P If they put Tom Riddle's pic for intj then I would be more inclined to believe it. 

To John, real people don't have enemies. ( very fictional concept, of course real people have enemies)

Boy do they ever. The newspapers are full of stories of people who had an enemy so dangerous they do wind up dead. So yeah, John's statement is a bit of fiction.

That's unfortunately all too true in the literal sense. But maybe what Jess meant was that John doesn't think of anyone as his enemy, even though he may not like them. I think that's consistent with what he told Sherlock. And it doesn't mean that he's horribly altruistic, it just means that's how he naturally views the world.  If you're at all familiar with the Myers-Briggs personality paradigm, you may recall that one pair of traits is Perceiving versus Judging. John is apparently a Perceiver.

Oh, I love that point. Possibly because I really am a Perciever. We revel in ambiguity. Much to the dismay of the J's. (Say it now, say it loud, I'm a P, and I'm Proud!) :giggle:

P.S. Now I'm sitting here trying to decide if Sherlock's an INTJ or an ISTP. Heaven help me.

Thank you Arcadia for opening the door to the world of Carl Jung. Now I know that outside of fiction, I am not the only one who tends to respond to emotionally-charged situation with detached rationality. The system is very useful to play with too.  :D

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Even hotter topic of debate than Mycroft's temperament is Jim Moriarty's. I read ENFP, ENTJ and INTJ. Any thought about this? :D

I'm not at all sure if Myer's Briggs applies to insane people! :smile:

• Like 2

I'm not at all sure if Myer's Briggs applies to insane people! :smile:

:lol: It is not but even people with severe disorder have certain pattern of temperament. I am interested to know what people think about Jim Moriarty's according to season 1 & 2.

Just how he seems to me.

Extroverted more than Introverted ... because he likes to make a splash

Ntuitive because I think crazy people are more likely to be internally oriented, not externally

Thinker because he's a genius in his way

Judger because he thinks he has the right to make life or death decisions

Wait ... I think I just described Sherlock.... :D

• Like 2

Well, whatever type they are, I'd assume Sherlock and Moriarty would be the same one. Makes sense to me.

:lol: If that's how Sherlock in your eyes, how about Jim? Because I recall in another thread there's a conclusion that their similarities actually only superficial at best.

Trying to understand how Moriarty perceived by different people.

Anyway, I just found enneagram. Another toy to play with ^-^

I guess I'm saying I see Moriarty and Sherlock as similar personality types (on the Myers-Briggs scale), but that doesn't mean they're "the same". Among other things, Sherlock seems to have a sense of justice, whereas Jim's all about the chaos.

Anyway, Myers-Briggs has more to do with how you make decisions, not the kind of decisions you make. It's not a moral barometer, you can't use it to predict how someone will use their gifts. I think that's the big difference between Sherlock and Jim, isn't it ... the use to which they put their minds? That, and Jim's a complete fruit loop, imo. :smile:

• Like 1

I find Sherlock more introverted but I can see the similarities between him and Moriarty otherwise. Moriarty seems more extroverted.

• Like 1

Yeah, I can't quite decide on that either.  Also some of the things he does makes me think "Perceiver." I'm no expert, though, I'm sure there's a lot more subtlety to it than my broad generalizations would indicate. :smile:

• Like 1

I wonder if Sherlock is one of those near 0 on the scale so he seems a little of both for each category (with thinker having the highest percentage of any of the pairings).

Sherlock, a thinker? He's a maladjusted feeler, just look at his emotionally-driven decisions. He might rationalize it later but the main drive is still unlike a thinker's. Now, Mycroft, that one is a thinker after my own heart (one who strangely behaves like a feeler in the outside). :lol:

• Like 1