Molly Hooper

sittything

Wait, so I just noticed that Tom has a thread and Molly doesn't, other than the MD/PhD thread.   I mean... Tom!  Tragedy.  

All hail Molly....  

tumblr_mzd3ysTqNY1rpyoeko7_r1_250.gif

• Like 7

I know, right?!?   I guess Tom is more memorable because he's annoying?  lol    Poor Molly just kinda blends in a times.

• Like 1

Which is good, actually.  Lets her do her job in peace and quiet, and possibly saved Sherlock's life.

• Like 1

What were we thinking?!  :o  :blink:   Oh the tragedy of our mistake! 

*quietly walks over to Molly and in a Sherlock sort of way says sorry (the Christmas version, only without the kiss on the cheek)*

• Like 1

I love that Sherlock's mind basically banked that slap to be used later when needed.  Solar system?  Ehhhh.... Molly's slap.  Yes.

• Like 4

Reason #3: She speaks her mind, even if it takes her a bit to get it all out.

• Like 1

I like Molly ironically because she's exactly what Moftiss say they didn't want initially -- a regular character that's not in the ACD canon.  I wouldn't want a lot of those running around, but Molly gives us a wholly modern way to access this world, when the rest of the canon-based characters are successfully maintaining a bit of their Victorian feel.  

I also like that Molly represents the evolution the viewer might have about Sherlock.  He's so other-worldly at first that it seems impossible to even ask him out for coffee and do it right, but just three short seasons into it, and you sometimes feel like you want to slap some sense into him.  Enter Molly.  

I also like the way Loo Brealey handles the part.  The Molly part is inherently not glamorous, not in the way of an Irene or the like.  Loo herself is very pretty, of course, but she plays Molly with a comfortable everyday-ness that keeps the part grounded in reality.  Also, I may not agree with everything Loo says, but she's a blast to follow on Twitter.  In some ways, her social media presence does for the production of Sherlock what her Molly character does for the Sherlock universe -- she's part of it, but she also shares these fabulous "normal people" reactions to things.

So yes, more Molly!

• Like 7

exactly: I am always surprised of how "normal" are her tweets. love it.

Molly: one of my fave Sherlock characters. Simple as that :)

• Like 1

I also like the way Loo Brealey handles the part.  The Molly part is inherently not glamorous, not in the way of an Irene or the like.  Loo herself is very pretty, of course, but she plays Molly with a comfortable everyday-ness that keeps the part grounded in reality.

Does she ever. I always feel that Molly is the one character on this show whom one could actually meet. When I was at uni, my way home often took me past the institute of forensic pathology. And whenever I saw light there in the basement where they examine bodies after hours, I was this short of getting off my bicycle and popping in for a quick hello, because sometimes, in the dark, cold drizzle with a fog coming up, it seemed entirely possible that Molly could be there.

I adore Molly. I've never felt so close to or so well represented by a TV character. One of these days, I'll write her a long, long love letter. Because I might not care much about celebrities, but I do get very attached to fictional people, which is very odd. But hey, we all have our little eccentricities. And this one, I think, is fairly harmless, because people who only exist inside a book or on a screen are perfectly safe from both my love or hate. I can't annoy them, can't hurt or incovenience them in any way. Which is kind of nice...

• Like 6

Here's a video of a Q&A with Louise Brealey, answering questions about Molly, Sherlock in general, and a number of other things:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=4FSdB3Z_Heg

I've never been quite sure HOW to interpret her look in that scene (they show it so briefly) -- but I like this one; keeping.

• Like 3

I love the 3rd picture in that series when Sherlock is turning towards her laughing expecting her to be laughing along with him, and she's just giving him that disapproving look.

• Like 1

I think I like Molly the best in The Reichenbach Fall. For me, her big moment is not where she slaps Sherlock's face (a scene I don't feel entirely comfortable with, but Luise Brealey plays it so well it actually works), but when she says "what do you need?"

I guess I'm just a bit tired of the idea that if a girl wants to be strong, she has to be violent. I have nothing against (TV!) violence (to a certain point, at least), but hitting, shooting or insulting people is not the same thing as being a strong person, and it's certainly not the same thing as being a feminist.

• Like 4

I have mixed feelings about Molly's slaps.  The scene is brilliant and after coming across as so mousy in earlier series, it's nice to see some bite to Molly.  But at the same time I don't entirely agree with it.   But then I try to rationalize it like maybe that is what Sherlock needed to get his attention, after all he was still high.   That whole scene creates a lot of internal conflict for me, just like Sherlock shooting CAM in HLV.

I guess I'm just a bit tired of the idea that if a girl wants to be strong, she has to be violent. I have nothing against (TV!) violence (to a certain point, at least), but hitting, shooting or insulting people is not the same thing as being a strong person, and it's certainly not the same thing as being a feminist.

Now you're singing my tune! :applause:

I really didn't think of that scene as showing that Molly had become a stronger person. It was more that she was just so angered by and disappointed in Sherlock that she didn't think, she just reacted. Since that's the last "real life" interaction we saw her have with him, it will be interesting to see if it affects their future relationship.

• Like 1

I don't really object to Molly slapping Sherlock on the grounds that it was a wrong thing to do. It wasn't, really. She had every right to be angry at him, and with Sherlock, it might be the only effective way to get her point across. Also, it's not like he couldn't have defended himself...

What bothers me a little is that it's rather out of character. I can easily imagine Molly fantasizing about slapping Sherlock's face, but actually doing it? Also, I get the impression that the scene was written that way to change Molly's "image" as a doormat, and here we get to my general complaint about what television and film think makes a strong woman. All too often, female characters are defined as empowered because they have learned to behave like men, basically. Be loud, pick up a gun (or a sword, in fantasy), kick some ass and voilà - you're a really great example to girls all over the world and a shining beacon for feminism.

• Like 4

I think I like Molly the best in The Reichenbach Fall. For me, her big moment is not where she slaps Sherlock's face (a scene I don't feel entirely comfortable with, but Luise Brealey plays it so well it actually works), but when she says "what do you need?"

Totally agree.  I get very tired of the "Amazon woman" trope where a woman has to be shown doing violent or extremely physical things in order to be perceived as a strong person.  Among other things, it's lazy writing.  Thankfully, we're seeing Molly grow in her strength without too much of this infused into the character.  Instead, I think Sherlock the show does a very good job showing female strength that is inherently feminine, which can be very very powerful.  (What is the line from Mad Men?  "And don't try to be a man.  Be a woman.  It's powerful stuff if done correctly.")

As far as the "what do you need" scene, I love that more every time I see it.  It's such a quiet scene, but Loo infuses that line with so much meaning:

• You are more than your public persona to me.  What do you need?
  • I'm not wrong about you. What do you need?
  • You are my friend even when you doubt yourself.  What do you need?
  • I'm with you through whatever you're going through. What do you need?
  • You aren't alone.  What do you need?

Gorgeous stuff.

• Like 4