Molly Hooper

sittything

I agree. I probably don't act exactly like Molly but I feel like I do - I see her and go, hey that's me! 

• Like 2

I think I identify most with John (and Alex identifies most with Sherlock, which might mean something).  That's probably why I dislike HLV and parts of Series 4, where he's thrown *way* out of his comfort zone.

It probably also explains why Molly is just a character to me.  Goodness knows I've made a fool of myself often enough, but more a la John than Molly.

4 hours ago, Arcadia said:

I look at Molly the same way I do Sherlock ... or any of the other characters on the show, for that matter ... an exaggeration, often for dramatic impact, mostly for laughs. To me BBC Sherlock is more in the fantasy genre than anything else. Sherlock, Mycroft, and Moriarty are all bigger than life; Lestrade is deplorably incompetent but impossibly cool; Molly acts half her age yet has insight no one else does; John is impossibly patient one minute and over-the-top hostile the next. Even the landlady ran a drug cartel. :D That's one of the many great joys of this show, to me; the characters are so ridiculous and yet at the same time the acting is so good that they end up feeling really real. I can identify with Sherlock to an extraordinary extent, yet at the same time realize I have almost nothing in common with him. Ditto most of the other characters. I don't get how that works, but I know that, for me, it does. (It's magic! :smile: )

I agree that a woman Molly's age would probably have found ways, by now, to seem a little less obvious. At the same time, as someone who is way older than Molly, I can confirm that the shy awkwardness doesn't feel any different than it did when I was 14. I guess that's part of the allure; the characters don't behave realistically, but they convey feelings that seem awfully darn real. And now that I think on it, I guess the writers should get some of the credit for that as well. Still think it's mostly magic, though.

I think that feeling of reacting like we did when we were younger to certain situations, is very relatable, for me, anyway.

But also, I am constantly encountering people of all ages, including very advanced ages, who behave like children, like really terribly! Is that just me?

I don't mean to place Molly in that camp, though she might not be super developed in terms of confidence, she makes up for it other ways. But i often find myself listening to people in positions of authority, say in their 60s, saying and doing things some teenagers would be too mature to say. I think having a maturity that matches your real life age is actually quite rare.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

7 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

I think I identify most with John (and Alex identifies most with Sherlock, which might mean something).  That's probably why I dislike HLV and parts of Series 4, where he's thrown *way* out of his comfort zone.

Yeah, but I could say the same thing about Sherlock and possibly even Molly in those episodes. I suspect it's not the characters' comfort zones that are the issue; it's ours. You know I love HLV, but there are parts of S4 that make me squirm with distaste while Sherlock seems perfectly content with what's happening.

It probably also explains why Molly is just a character to me.  Goodness knows I've made a fool of myself often enough, but more a la John than Molly.

Does John make a fool of himself? I thought Sherlock pretty much did that for him. :P

49 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

Yeah, but I could say the same thing about Sherlock and possibly even Molly in those episodes. I suspect it's not the characters' comfort zones that are the issue; it's ours. You know I love HLV, but there are parts of S4 that make me squirm with distaste while Sherlock seems perfectly content with what's happening.

Hmm, maybe, but then again maybe you and I react differently.  Could you give me an example of something that makes you (but not Sherlock) squirm?

49 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

Does John make a fool of himself? I thought Sherlock pretty much did that for him. :P

Both, I think.  One example if a problem both John and I have is knowing when we've been dumped:

JOHN: I’ll call you. 
JEANETTE: No! 
JOHN: Okay.

8 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Hmm, maybe, but then again maybe you and I react differently.  Could you give me an example of something that makes you (but not Sherlock) squirm?

Basically the whole of T6T, I'm afraid. And the Moriarty gifs in TFP. And the whole orange skin thing in both those episodes.

Both, I think.  One example if a problem both John and I have is knowing when we've been dumped:

JOHN: I’ll call you. 
JEANETTE: No! 
JOHN: Okay.

Oh, okay. Actually, I thought offering to walk her dog was worse. :rofl: 

Hm, now I'm on the hunt for more John being foolish scenes.....

Basically the whole of T6T, I'm afraid. And the Moriarty gifs in TFP. And the whole orange skin thing in both those episodes.

Fortunately I never noticed the skin-tone thing, even after you mentioned it, so that doesn't make me squirm.  And I liked T6T except for the parts where Sherlock does really, really stupid things -- which I will admit is pretty often -- but those eventually make him squirm too in retrospect, so they don't really fit your criteria.  As for the Moriarty gifs :P Sherlock has far more pressing matters at hand, so he can't afford to let those bother him, at least not at the moment.  Admit it, Arcadia, I am the queen of rationalization!  :D

Oh, okay. Actually, I thought offering to walk her dog was worse. :rofl: 

Yeah, that was pretty bad all right, but I was going for examples of John making a fool of himself in ways that I've also done. Mercifully I don't think I've ever forgotten which boyfriend was which -- at least not till I was trying to remember years later.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Admit it, Arcadia, I am the queen of rationalization! 

I prefer to think of you as the voice of reason, Carol. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hey, what am I, chopped liver?! :P I'm going to tell my mom that Toby's playing favorites....

10 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Fortunately I never noticed the skin-tone thing, even after you mentioned it, so that doesn't make me squirm.  

Oh, of course, you still just have your old black and white TV, don't you? :tongue:

35o46Bs.gif

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

22 minutes ago, bronzeblues said:

Sherlock's skin tone was the least of these episodes' problem. BY FAR THE LEAST. I don't wanna remember it, really. 

It must be incredibly difficult to turn a freckled, ginger complexion into an alabaster brunet complexion, even with the latest in makeup technology.  Then in S4, they had the additional challenge of making Sherlock look haggard and ill.  Ben really is most convincing as a brunet in low light.  If he stands in too much direct sunlight the sheer amount of spackle they have to use on his face is very evident.

30 minutes ago, Hikari said:

It must be incredibly difficult to turn a freckled, ginger complexion into an alabaster brunet complexion . ..

I can just imagine some clueless Sherlock fan posting this on Tumblr:

You'll never guess who I ran into today in London!  I almost didn't recognize him because he'd cut his hair short, straightened it, and dyed it light reddish-brown.  Oh, and he'd even painted freckles on his face!  But I'm sure it was him because he couldn't say penguin!

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

I can just imagine some clueless Sherlock fan posting this on Tumblr:

You'll never guess who I ran into today in London!  I almost didn't recognize him because he'd cut his hair short, straightened it, and dyed it light reddish-brown.  Oh, and he'd even painted freckles on his face!  But I'm sure it was him because he couldn't say penguin!

His little speech impediment is quite adorable.  He does have some natural curl but it requires a lot of effort to get Sherlock's specificity.  Sherlock's hair is like a topiary.    I think spending so much time with the hot rollers is the reason Ben hates his Sherlock 'do.  Says he thinks it makes him 'look like a woman'. 

Which just goes to show that Ben doesn't always know what he's talking about.  Sherlock is the butchest he ever looked.  It's just the womanish hair-styling tools he objects to.  Ginges can be adorable too, but I prefer the red hair stay on Eddie Redmayne.

Though oddly enough Eddie's "red mane" generally looks brown to me.  Maybe depends on who's doing his hair for his current role.

3 hours ago, Hikari said:

It must be incredibly difficult to turn a freckled, ginger complexion into an alabaster brunet complexion, even with the latest in makeup technology.  Then in S4, they had the additional challenge of making Sherlock look haggard and ill.  Ben really is most convincing as a brunet in low light.  If he stands in too much direct sunlight the sheer amount of spackle they have to use on his face is very evident.

And yet, the one episode in S4 in which he looks haggard and ill is the only one where his skin tone is back to "normal" ... that is, the vampire pale hue we're used to. :smile:  It's also the only episode where he looks his usual lanky, lean self. I still maintain (to my dying day, until someone can prove otherwise) that it's because the director, Nick Hurran, knew what he was doing, and the other two, er ... screwed up. I rather suspect the lighting director had a hand in it too, but it's the director's biz to notice such things. It drives me stark raving bonkers.....  DHYBi61.gif

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/15/2018 at 3:06 PM, Hikari said:

His little speech impediment is quite adorable.  He does have some natural curl but it requires a lot of effort to get Sherlock's specificity.  Sherlock's hair is like a topiary.    I think spending so much time with the hot rollers is the reason Ben hates his Sherlock 'do.  Says he thinks it makes him 'look like a woman'. 

Which just goes to show that Ben doesn't always know what he's talking about.  Sherlock is the butchest he ever looked.  It's just the womanish hair-styling tools he objects to.  Ginges can be adorable too, but I prefer the red hair stay on Eddie Redmayne.

Isn't Sherlock's hair in the latter seasons a wig?  Regardless, Ben is nuts complaining about his Sherlock hair.  I find him most attractive as Sherlock with the curls.  I also have a thing for Jamie (Outlander) and Poldark so maybe I just have a thing for fluffy curls...  :lol2:

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, sittything said:

Isn't Sherlock's hair in the latter seasons a wig?  

Not to my knowledge, no. There was some use of wigs until his hair grew long enough, it says somewhere, but typically it's his. The plane scenes in TAB were a wig.

I agree, the longer hair does wonders for his features. Silly boy.

• Like 2

Just now, Arcadia said:

Not to my knowledge, no. There was some use of wigs until his hair grew long enough, it says somewhere, but typically it's his. The plane scenes in TAB were a wig.

I agree, the longer hair does wonders for his features. Silly boy.

Interesting.  I thought they used wigs more in the latter seasons.  But I wasn't super great about following filming info so I'm far from the most knowledgeable source on the matter.   I need to go dig around but is anyone talking Patrick Melrose?  *off to look*

• Like 1

I will if you start the conversation somewhere! Just finished it last night.

• Like 1

Nice to see you popping in Sittything. I concur on the no wig except as necessary until proper hair length was achieved.

12 hours ago, sittything said:

Interesting.  I thought they used wigs more in the latter seasons.  But I wasn't super great about following filming info so I'm far from the most knowledgeable source on the matter.   I need to go dig around but is anyone talking Patrick Melrose?  *off to look*

Finished it yesterday. Teriffic series. I say anyone who wants to see how great BC's talent truly is should watch this show. Truly a captivating performance. BC and Jessica Raine(who plays his on and off lover Julia) had teriffic chemistry. 

16 hours ago, sittything said:

Isn't Sherlock's hair in the latter seasons a wig?  Regardless, Ben is nuts complaining about his Sherlock hair.  I find him most attractive as Sherlock with the curls.  I also have a thing for Jamie (Outlander) and Poldark so maybe I just have a thing for fluffy curls...  :lol2:

I agree, 100%.  Sherlock Holmes is totally a babe all the time.  Ben as not-Sherl can sometimes be attractive but he has an equal number of really awkward photos.  When you can look like Sherlock Holmes, why would you ever want to look any other way?  :) I had considered the whole wig issue, but his hair moves too naturally.  I am impressed by Ben's follicles because his hair takes no end of abuse and just springs back like Superhair.  Anybody else might have gone bald by now, with all the hair colors he's sported.

Speaking of Ross Poldark . .I just watched an episode of S3 last night.  Ross's hair is positively Byronic.  I wonder if all those curls are his own, because his hair is pretty long these days.

While I agree that BC has loads of awkward photos, it's in interviews where he truly comes off as attractive. And it's not about the way he looks at all, it's the voice and the way he handles himself. Before I saw him in any interviews I thought it was an absolute enigma why anyone found him attractive. But when I heard him in an interview I went like "Ooohh... riiiight :lol2:

On ‎6‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 10:28 AM, bronzeblues said:

While I agree that BC has loads of awkward photos, it's in interviews where he truly comes off as attractive. And it's not about the way he looks at all, it's the voice and the way he handles himself. Before I saw him in any interviews I thought it was an absolute enigma why anyone found him attractive. But when I heard him in an interview I went like "Ooohh... riiiight :lol2:

Absolutely . . Ben the consummate performer really comes to life in front of an audience.   The voice is like melted chocolate.  If I were blind, I'd still be a Cumberb*tch.  :)

• Like 1