If John and Sherlock parented Baby Watson at 221B

sfmpco

With Sherlock teaching her, she'll be skipping through grades in no time, and then we'll have scenes like this...

H2rYcgp.jpg

I agree we could have something like this and John will be trying his hardest to teach his daughter tact in the process of being honest.

I know, Sherlock teaches the core classes and every day after John gets home from work, he sits down with Sheralyn and Sherlock to teach them both what tact is and how to use words tactfully.

• Like 1

Like any interested party in this impossible co-parenting venture, Archie's mother has become an occasional visitor to the flat, just to keep an eye on Uncle Sherlock.

As usual, Archie wants to stay a bit, so she says she is going to pick him up after her visit to her dentist.

This time, however, Sherlock is in the middle of a  rather interesting analysis, and so he is not in the mood to narrate any crime stories to the budding genius, but to keep him from getting bored and start to bother the sleeping Sheralyn in her cot next to the sofa, he invites Archie to have a look through the microscope and give him his findings.

The little boy already knows the periodic table and has been taught by Sherlock how to do things properly.

Sherlock ratchets up the stool so the boy can look into the microscope comfortably and then goes to have a look at the sleeping baby.

"Report, Archie", he says, as he notices little Sheralyn begin to whimper in her sleep.

"In order of greatest concentration, iron-55, forty-five point eight percent, nickel-58 twelve point six percent, mercury -201 nine point forty-six percent,

gallium-69 nine point three percent, gold-198 eight point eleven percent, iridium-193 four point nine percent." comes back the prompt reply.

"Archie, are you quite certain of that figure for the iridium?"

"To six decimal places, four point nine, three zero four one four one two"

"That is eight decimal places, Archie."

"Well, I thought you would not mind, seeing as you are so focused on HER!"

"Archie, she is just a baby, and you are so much older!"

"Yes, and she is your favourite because you knew her mother, and she liked YOU!"

"Archie, if you are to become a true scientist, you need to develop your eminently logical mind. A defence against the charge of nepotism by association will have to wait until your next visit."

At this point Archie's mother comes back.

"Mr Holmes, I will not have you teaching my son bad words. Nepotism, indeed!"

She drags the boy behind her, while Sherlock turns to Sheralyn, who is now smiling in her sleep and sighs: "Why can't people ever think!"

• Like 2

Because John has a baby, he asks Sherlock to give up his bedroom since it is the larger of the two bedrooms and to take the smaller bedroom upstairs.  Sherlock is not terribly fond of this idea.

• Like 1

Who came up with the name Sheralyn for John and Mary's daughter? No offense, but it sounds terrible - like something a couple on one of those "is he the father or not" talk shows on crap television would come up with.

I wonder what they'll really name her. If we ever do find out. The special won't tell us, I am sure... The special won't tell us anything much, apparently, except that John can indeed look good with a mustache, after all.

• Like 4

Sorry, if I told you, I would have to shoot you afterwards!

Love the idea of dislodging him!

John: "Sherlock, me and Sarah were discussing the arrangement of the flat, and we both came to the conclusion that it would be much better if you moved to the upstairs bedroom and I moved into yours. It's so much more convenient for getting her bottles from the steriliser in the kitchen and giving her her baths, as it's closest to the bathroom"

Sherlock: "Sarah suggested this? I knew I couldn't trust that woman to have an ounce of logic when she complained about being hungry in the middle of one of our most interesting cases! Seriously, how can you trust the judgement of anyone who is so ruled by their stomach!"

• Like 2

Who came up with the name Sheralyn for John and Mary's daughter? No offense, but it sounds terrible - like something a couple on one of those "is he the father or not" talk shows on crap television would come up with.

I wonder what they'll really name her. If we ever do find out. The special won't tell us, I am sure... The special won't tell us anything much, apparently, except that John can indeed look good with a mustache, after all.

Sheralyn is the baby's middle name from one of sfmpco's fan fic. If I remember correctly her full name is something like Mary Elizabeth Sheralyn Watson with Sheralyn being the nod to Sherlock & was Mary's idea. Jenny can correct me if I'm wrong on the full name and how it came about.

And Sherlock refuses to call her by her first name only that middle name.

Yes, it is a middle name from Elizabeth Marie Sheralyn Watson.  From my fanfic, THE BLACKBIRD SIGNS AGAIN.  I thought you read it, TOBY.

And let's not forget there IS an actress named Sherilyn Fenn.

• Like 1

I wonder -- what if Sherlock takes all the stuffed animals and fills them with actual bones and bits of organs, so he can teach the Watson kid basic anatomy?

• Like 4

I wonder -- what if Sherlock takes all the stuffed animals and fills them with actual bones and bits of organs, so he can teach the Watson kid basic anatomy?

Oh he could actually order a full-sized anatomical body.  And when she's older and slightly more coordinated with her hands, they'll play Operation!

• Like 3

I'll have to agree. I hope they come up with a somewhat normal name that has nothing to do with Sherlock. And I absolutely don't want the Watsons to actually name her Sherlock. But imagine what might happen if they did:

John (talking to the baby): "Sherlock, don't play with the water!"

Sherlock (from the kitchen, confused): "I'm just getting a drink."

John: "Not you - the baby!"

• Like 3

Could we stick with Mary Elizabeth Sheralyn for continuity's sake on this thread?

John comes home to find his daughter securely fastened in her high chair  in the kitchen in a manner almost resembling a straightjacket.

"Sherlock, what were you thinking of, restraining my daughter like that?"

Sherlock comes back from his bedroom,

"Sorry, I was just looking for the scissors. That fool Tessa has let Sheralyn's nails grow too long, and it's her day off, so I thought I might do it."

"But why tie her up in that fashion"

"You know, John, not everyone's been in the army like you. I am used to working with unmoving targets, or would you rather I cut off one of her fingers or toes in the process?"

• Like 3

First of all Sheralyn was the THIRD name.  As I mentioned in a previous post, I gave the baby the name of Elizabeth Marie Sheralyn Watson.  John NEVER calls her Sheralyn in my fanfic (and neither does Mary.  Neither does Sherlock, actually.  He just calls her his "namesake.").  

Secondly, we have no idea if baby Watson will even be around if Mary isn't around.  

First of all Sheralyn was the THIRD name.  As I mentioned in a previous post, I gave the baby the name of Elizabeth Marie Sheralyn Watson.  John NEVER calls her Sheralyn in my fanfic (and neither does Mary.  Neither does Sherlock, actually.  He just calls her his "namesake.").  

Secondly, we have no idea if baby Watson will even be around if Mary isn't around.  

Well, I still believe Mary will be around for some time, and so her daughter will as well. We might not see much of the girl, but that's all right.

I do wonder what her name will be (you know your Sherlock obsession is bad when you spend more time thinking about the name of John and Mary's kid than about what you'd like to call your own children if you ever have any). I like "Mary Elizabeth", because then finally, there would be a real Mary Watson, and they could always call her by her second name to avoid confusion.

I also really liked the idea I read in some fan fic ages ago that she'd be "Rachel". That's kind of like naming her after Sherlock, in a very roundabout way, and I thought it was rather clever.

Anyway, after practically his last words to his friend were "we're not naming our daughter after you", I bet the Watsons' child will actually end up having a Sherlock-related name, after all. Just because.

• Like 4

Oh, Toby, NOT Wilhelmina, please, pretty please! What else is there, since Sherlock and Scott cannot be female names. Do try to get used to Sheralyn, the other option is so pre-WWI.

Wilhelmina? UGH! NO!

Well, Sherlock said his was actually a girl's name... And Scott, well, I can't help thinking Gloria Scott and a story called "the voyage of Gloria Scott" where she's kidnapped or something, but nahh... "Gloria" isn't so hot a name, either.

My head canon is sticking with Rachel. Until I get the "real" name from the show.

Saying that Sherlock was actually a girl's name was his one feeble attempt at humour in that otherwise horrifically emotionally charged scene. And Wilhelmina Watson does not sound so good, although her initials would then be interesting.

• Like 1

I like Rachel. Or Mary Elizabeth. What if they call her Harriett?! Hopefully not. Although I would love for the aunt to make an appearance, finally.

• Like 2

Oh, it doesn't really matter, the name. THis thread is for fun, isn't it?

Watson, opening the fridge: Sherlock, where did you put her this time?

Sherlock, looking into his microscope: Bathtube. Fridge was a little not good.

W: Bathtube?!

S: What! She is good isolated and taken care of.

W runs to the bath

W: What the hell is THAT?

S: Surrogate Daddy Pillow. I just invented it.

W: My daugter lies snuggled up to a... what is it? An old kitchen towel sewn into a pillowcase?

S: This is your towel, John. I stuffed it with your worn T-shirts, so she can smell you. I've read this is what babys like. Make them feel save... or something. There is a heating pad inside, along with a small loudspeaker playing heartbeat sounds. So it feels like she is snuggled to you. And she looks happy, doesn't she. Now shut up.

W: How did you recorded my heart...?

S: Oh, don't be stupid, I recorded mine.

W: You said you have no heart.

S: I have my bad days.

• Like 5

Before John moves in with Sheralyn, Sherlock measures everything in the flat for size to make sure it is not a choking hazard for the little one.

• Like 1

Because John has a baby, he asks Sherlock to give up his bedroom since it is the larger of the two bedrooms and to take the smaller bedroom upstairs.  Sherlock is not terribly fond of this idea.

Oh, see, I would bet differently on this one.  I would bet that Sherlock insists that baby's crib be in his bedroom.  He doesn't tend to sleep a lot anyway, and she's much handier for data collection that way.  

John likes this arrangement, except for the fact that Sherlock tries to get John to wake up to do nappy changes.  These take more time than usual, because you have to get the tare weight of the new, clean nappy, mark it on the outside, and then use the marked tare weight to calculate the "output" and enter it into the spreadsheet.

• Like 3

Oh he could actually order a full-sized anatomical body.  And when she's older and slightly more coordinated with her hands, they'll play Operation!

But where'd he put the body? Just leave it on the living room floor? The kitchen table's all filled up with his other science-y stuff!

• Like 1

Sherlock up to the end of HLV is clearly not a romantic-partner material nevermind the huge responsibility of parenting :p

• Like 1