"Forbidden" Errors (due to "spam" words)

Okay, see if anyone can explain this!

I was trying to post:

"You can hear the Stella and Ted message drop to the table" (and I originally finished the sentence with "before he begins the next one.")

but had to change it to:

"You can hear the Stella and Ted message drop to the table, and then he begins reading the next one."

Apparently it's the juxtaposition of the words "drop to the table" and "before" that triggers the 404 error. :wtf: Have I inadvertently stumbled into Urban Dictionary territory? :smile:

• Like 1

You do seem to have characterized the situation accurately, but I am at just as much of a loss to explain it as you are.  A Google search turned up six instances on the internet, mostly in fiction of one sort or another, but none of them seem to be talking about anything naughty.

I'm impressed that you were able to isolate the offending phrase, since your entire sentence seems so innocuous.

It took awhile! But I was determined and soldiered on. :smile: I finally narrowed it down to the first paragraph, then removed a phrase at a time until the blamed thing finally posted. Weird!

• Like 2

I find that one can omit either "to" or "the" (but not both) and still get the same error message.  Also, "drop to the floor before" raises no objections.  Whatever that may mean.

I'll try to remember tomorrow to play around with that paragraph I tried to post on the "Mod Discussion" thread this morning.  If I can narrow that error down to a specific phrase, that may tell us something.

It might object to the "drop table" part because it thinks you're trying an SQL injection attack or something. Quickest explanation probably found in this xkcd comic:

exploits_of_a_mom.png

Still doesn't explain why it objects to the exact combination (or maybe it does - my knowledge of SQL is rudimentary at best), but it might be the reason why floor doesn't trigger while table does. We're all just probably thinking of the wrong kind of naughty :lol:.

• Like 2

Oh.  That makes sense.  Seems like the filter has recently learned some new tricks!

I'm off to retrieve the email I sent yesterday, and play around with THAT message!  (Once I narrow things down, maybe you can explain that one.)

Well, son of a gun, it doesn't object today!  I did a copy and paste right out of that email, into a post on the Mod thread, and it worked fine.

It still doesn't like the "table" phrase, though.

Maybe it's a female teenager with raging hormones or it's acting like Sherlock to prevent boredom from setting in too badly. :)

• Like 1

I think the forum software has developed a personal bias against me! :D Here's today's post I couldn't post: I was trying to reply to aurelie's post, here, and got my hand slapped repeatedly by the "forbidden word" censor. It turns out it wasn't anything I'd said; it was aurelie's words it objected to! Once I deleted her post, it let me have my say.

So my question is ... how come aurelie could post those words but I couldn't? I even tried changing her f***'s to effs, but it still wouldn't accept it. I think it just hates me. :(

I missed all the fun here.

Anyway, if we ever had thread What is your Superpower, you have the answer, ability to find the exact words that trigger Forbidden 404. XD

It's true superpower! I remember cursing, swearing and gave up for days when I encountered that, thinking that it's not meant for me to start new thread.

I was trying to reply to aurelie's post, here, and got my hand slapped repeatedly by the "forbidden word" censor. It turns out it wasn't anything I'd said; it was aurelie's words it objected to! Once I deleted her post, it let me have my say.

So my question is ... how come aurelie could post those words but I couldn't? I even tried changing her f***'s to effs, but it still wouldn't accept it. I think it just hates me. :(

It's not the "eff words" that are the problem, turns out it's the "c0unt1ng cards 1n a cas1n0" phrase.  And I have no idea why aurelie was able to post it in the first place.

Added:  Actually, it was just the word "cas1n0."  I shall add that to Post #1.

If we ever had thread What is your Superpower, you have the answer, ability to find the exact words that trigger Forbidden 404. XD

It's true superpower! I remember cursing, swearing and gave up for days when I encountered that, thinking that it's not meant for me to start new thread.

Yes, you and T.o.b.y really seem to have a knack for that -- consider yourself highly inventive!

I missed all the fun here.

Anyway, if we ever had thread What is your Superpower, you have the answer, ability to find the exact words that trigger Forbidden 404. XD

It figures that's the sort of superpower I'd get ... :angry:

I was trying to reply to aurelie's post, here, and got my hand slapped repeatedly by the "forbidden word" censor. It turns out it wasn't anything I'd said; it was aurelie's words it objected to! Once I deleted her post, it let me have my say.

It's not the "eff words" that are the problem, turns out it's the "c0unt1ng cards 1n a cas1n0" phrase.  And I have no idea why aurelie was able to post it in the first place.

Added:  Actually, it was just the word "cas1n0."  I shall add that to Post #1.

Thanks Carol, I didn't have time to figure out for myself what the culprit was. And I still think I couldn't post it cuz the spam filter has it in for me....

It figures that's the sort of superpower I'd get ... :angry:

Yeah, I borrow one of my favorite line from Game of Thrones, that is as useful as nipple on a breastplate, or..Batman suit.

If it makes you feel better, I promise I won't count on you should a villain appears.

(What would you do? Kill them with forbidden words? Bahahaha.. run...!)

Anyway, since it seems sensitive to gambling, I tried some related words and found that r o u l e t t e is forbidden.

But these are okay:

Baccarat

Horserace

Fullhouse

• Like 1

Update: it doesn't let me edit my above post though, wonder why. I retry gambling, baccarat, horserace and fullhouse again, and they are all fine.

Thanks for the new data.  I'll add it to the list.

What happens when you try to edit that post?

Hmm, it lets me use "roulette" just fine (as well as "horse race," "full house," and "baccarat").  Still won't take "v1agra" from me, though.

Could some more of you folks (mods and non-mods) please try "roulette" and report your results?  Thanks!

Playing censor filter roulette, so to speak - very meta :smile:. There seem to be different filters for mods and non-mods, for whatever reason.

Either that, or 2] the software was just being difficult with Van Buren, or 3] "roulette" wasn't actually the culprit.  Lemme see -- how about nipple? breastplate? gambling?  Nope, no problem -- for me, at any rate.

Could some non-mod try those words (including roulette) and see what happens?  :)  Better yet, see if you can quote VBS's problematic post above.  Thanks!

Okay.. not sure what happens..

When I tried to edit my post above (the one with roulette) with handphone it wipes out all texts. There is no error msg, it just wipes put the whole post.

Same thing happened yesterday, after I post the rest of the text successfully, I edit to add word roulette just to test it out, and the whole post was empty.

However, when I tried at PC, it's fine. Everything is normal.

I buy that the software is being difficult to me, because I do experience anomaly now and then.

One time I had to install softwares in particular sequence, different softwares. They don't work otherwise. The IT thought I was crazy but it's proven. It happened when I changed computer as well. For others, they are fine. I know, they are coming to get me..!

• Like 1

Blackjack is fine too. Hmmm...how about Mercedes?

Volvo

Tag Heuer

Hermes

Ok they are fine, not sure why they forbid a watch brand like mentioned in the first post.