Martin Freeman in "Captain America: Civil War"

Good, that's what I was hoping. :smile: And oh yes, Hulk vs. Loki, that was brilliant! :rofl:

If you like fun and funny action movies, the rest of them are terrific, especially the Avengers. Of course, I worship at the feet of Joss Whedon anyway, so I'm not exactly objective when it comes to the Avengers.

You mean John Steed and Emma Peel?  :D

The current rumor (referred to as "facts" on this site, which everyone else seems to be quoting) is that "Martin Freeman plays some sort of interrogator and that he will return to appear in Black Panther."  That author goes on to speculate that "They’re going to use the comic book character of Everett Ross, a US Government agent assigned to Wakanda who grows to become sort of a Wakandan expert."

Oh dear, Black Panther was never a favorite either....

:picard2:

Oh dear, Black Panther was never a favorite either

Don't panic (and always know where your towel is).  Until that's confirmed, it could well be just someone's best guess.

:picard2:

Hey, I'm a traditionalist!

• Like 2

However, if the Cumberbatch fans could see STID without having watched (minimally!) all 79 episodes of the original series plus the original-cast movies, I see no reason why I would not be admitted to the theater this time without having boned up on Captain America and friends.

Absolutely, Carol. I've never understood people who demand that we become all scholarly about our entertainment. It's neither necessary to read all 50+ Doyle stories to enjoy Sherlock nor to be familiar with the Star Treck franchise to appreciate Khan's overdramatic coolness.

Well at least read some detailed synopsis of the first two films to that you'll know who's who and what's what because #3 is a direct sequel to #2 which had unfinished business.

...or you can just watch the honest trailers on youtube. I always find those really helpful - more so than the real trailers in many cases. :P

:applause:

• Like 2

Oh, Freeman has signed up for the movie all right -- it was officially announced by Marvel yesterday.

Thanks for those hilarious "trailers," T.o.b.y -- that may be about all I need to know!

I've been thinking with Benedict being Dr. Strange that I might have to catch up on the Marvel Universe (haven't watched anything but trailers for all the films out).  With Martin in the next Captain America, that pushes me even closer to doing so.

Well, as I mentioned before to Carol, there is a sort of order to them and making sure you get introduced to all the characters properly (except there isn't a current Hulk movie in this franchise, but you probably know enough about Hulk anyhow).  

These are the films:

Iron Man

Iron Man 2

Iron Man 3

Captain America

Captain America Winter Soldier

Thor

Thor The Dark World

The Avengers

The Avengers Age of Ultron (currently in theaters)

• Like 1

Thanks!! After my exams are finished I'm going to watch the ### out of those movies!!! I've never seen a Marvel movie. I should be ashamed of myself!!

I'm assuming that we could start with any individual character's movie & watch those in order and then add Avengers in there after all of the indie filmed or would be recommended to add in Avengers 1 earlier.

I'm assuming that we could start with any individual character's movie & watch those in order and then add Avengers in there after all of the indie filmed or would be recommended to add in Avengers 1 earlier.

You could do the first Thor, the first Iron Man and the first Captain America and you should be okay.  Can't remember when or where Scarlett Johansson's character is introduced - it might be in The Avengers.  She is not in the Thor movies but she is in Captain America Winter Soldier.  It's been a while since i've seen the Iron Man films so I don't remember if she was in those.  Not the first one, though.  I guess I could look on her IMDB...

Okay, she first appeared in

Iron Man 2 (2010)

The Avengers (2011)

Captain America The Winter Soldier (2014)

Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015)

Captain America: Civil War (2016)

So I guess you need to watch Iron Man 1 and Iron Man 2.

You could do the first Thor, the first Iron Man and the first Captain America and you should be okay. Can't remember when or where Scarlett Johansson's character is introduced - it might be in The Avengers. She is not in the Thor movies but she is in Captain America Winter Soldier. It's been a while since i've seen the Iron Man films so I don't remember if she was in those. Not the first one, though. I guess I could look on her IMDB...

Okay, she first appeared in

Iron Man 2 (2010)

The Avengers (2011)

Captain America The Winter Soldier (2014)

Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015)

Captain America: Civil War (2016)

So I guess you need to watch Iron Man 1 and Iron Man 2.

Thanks.

You might as well, they're worth watching anyway. :p

Somehow I missed the Dark World, I must rectify that somehow.....

• Like 1

The movies in order of release are:

Iron Man

Iron Man 2

Thor

Captain America: The First Avenger

The Avengers

Iron Man 3

Thor: The Dark World

Captain America:  The Winter Soldier

Avengers:  Age of Ultron

• Like 1

You might as well, they're worth watching anyway. :P

Somehow I missed the Dark World, I must rectify that somehow.....

You must!  So good!

The current rumor (referred to as "facts" on this site, which everyone else seems to be quoting) is that "Martin Freeman plays some sort of interrogator and that he will return to appear in Black Panther."  That author goes on to speculate that "They’re going to use the comic book character of Everett Ross, a US Government agent assigned to Wakanda who grows to become sort of a Wakandan expert."

We now have another hint regarding Freeman's character, this time from Mark Millar, who wrote the comic book the movie is based on -- and who may be the original source of the previous hint, for all I know.  In this Radio Times article, Millar says that he knows who Freeman is playing, but isn't supposed to tell.  However, he will say this much:

The character is not a super-person, it’s somebody who’s… well, I don’t want to spoil it for anybody but he’s not going to be in costume.

... and this:

Once you get to see it, it’s so obvious. All I’ll say is, he’s not [Captain America villain] the Red Skull.

That rules out Bucky, then. :p

There is a Marvel Cinematic Universe Wiki, and it even has a timeline for those interested in catching up - but don't let it discourage you. Personally, I found that thing confusing as hell :wacko:, and I have watched most of the films.

If you want to start with just one film to see if those are for you at all, I'd say screw the timeline, pick the first Avengers movie. That one's great, you get a lot of info plus, of course, it has Loki in it :smile:.

• Like 3

If you want to start with just one film to see if those are for you at all, I'd say screw the timeline, pick the first Avengers movie. That one's great, you get a lot of info plus, of course, it has Loki in it :smile:.

But if I were merely interested in the backstory for Captain America III, wouldn't it make more sense to watch I and II?

But if I were merely interested in the backstory for Captain America III, wouldn't it make more sense to watch I and II?

I would assume so?  The Captain America movies (aside from the new Avengers movie) are the only ones I haven't seen yet.  Maybe watch the Avengers movies too, since Captain America is in them.   But I wouldn't waste my time with the Iron Man or Thor movies then, as Captain America isn't in them.

More rumors, this time from someone quoting someone who claims to have read the script.  If this article is for real, it's LOADED WITH SPOILERS, so click that link at your own risk.  If you want only the identity of Freeman's character, here's just that quote:

"CIA asset Peter Gyrich (Martin Freeman), from London"

Carol I don't see anything in the spoiler box when I'm using tapatalk on my phone. Computer not up so I can't check that.

More rumors, this time from someone quoting someone who claims to have read the script.  If this article is for real, it's LOADED WITH SPOILERS, so click that link at your own risk.  If you want only the identity of Freeman's character, here's just that quote:

"CIA asset Peter Gyrich (Martin Freeman), from London"

I am none the wiser, I'm afraid, but it doesn't sound like it would be a major role?

Carol I don't see anything in the spoiler box when I'm using tapatalk on my phone. Computer not up so I can't check that.

Anybody else having that problem -- on their phone or computer or whatever?

Anybody else having that problem -- on their phone or computer or whatever?

Yep, I'm having some struggles with that too! Sometimes I can see it, sometimes there is just nothing.