Jump to content

What did you think of "A Scandal In Belgravia?"  

105 members have voted

  1. 1. Add Your Vote Here:

    • 10/10 Excellent.
    • 9/10 Not Quite The Best, But Not Far Off.
    • 8/10 Certainly Worth Watching Again.
    • 7/10 Slightly Above The Norm.
    • 6/10 Average.
    • 5/10 Slightly Sub-Par.
      0
    • 4/10 Decidedly Below Average.
      0
    • 3/10 Pretty Poor.
      0
    • 2/10 Bad.
      0
    • 1/10 Terrible.


Recommended Posts

Posted

Well, yes, that would have alerted the Palace to the situation.  But didn't Irene do that herself?  So why did Jim (we assume) say that he was "sending her a present"?

 

Posted

Excuse me, "a treat" -- I've always taken that to mean that he was sending Sherlock to her, but it it does make more sense that he meant the photos.  So that answers my question.

 

But another question: how did Irene know that Sherlock was headed her way?  Oh, right, she had alerted the Palace, Sherlock had just been to the Palace -- ergo obvious.  Never mind!

 

Posted

Now that I think about it, though, exactly how was Jim supposed to have orchestrated Sherlock's involvement? Irene already had "her highness" as a client, so that wasn't it.

I don't think he orchestrated it, he just advised her how to handle "the boys" once Mycroft was involved. Of course, that presumes Jim somehow knew Mycroft would put Sherlock on the trail.

 

Or, Jim is the "other one" and he and Mycroft planned it together as a joke on baby brother.....

Posted

 

I don't think he orchestrated it, he just advised her how to handle "the boys" once Mycroft was involved. Of course, that presumes Jim somehow knew Mycroft would put Sherlock on the trail.

 

  Irene admitted that she had all the information....just didn't know what to do with it. But it does seem that Moriarty contacted her seeing how he had nicknames for Mycroft and Sherlock. Sherlock had been inconveniencing Moriarty....hence he owed him a fall and this connection went all the way back to before "A Study in Pink". Back to when they were both children and Moriarty killed Carl Powers and a ten year old Sherlock tried to get the police involved.

Posted

Too bad we did not get to see any Irene / Moriarty scenes.  Their interactions I am sure would have been very....interesting.  I wonder if she helped ease his boredom at all.  :blush2:

Posted

Ewwww, I'm really glad NOT to have seen that!

It's implied Jim didn't deal with his clients in person. Although I suppose he made exceptions.

Posted

Well, I just got to thinking that if Sherlock was fascinated by Irene's intellect, then perhaps Jim was too?  I mean why not?  If she challenged Sherlock then she probably would be someone that Jim would find "not boring".   And I don't know if Jim, unlike Sherlock, would have any aversion to enjoying something more physical as well.  However, if they never met in person...Maybe I am discovering I should try my hand at fan fic lol. Of course, probably not. 

Posted

I had the impression that Jim did engage in "something more physical" with Molly -- but cannot speak to whether he enjoyed it!

 

Posted

Poor Molly ....

Posted

Okay, after Irene sends Sherlock the text  saying "I'm hungry, let's have dinner." to let him know that she's still alive, and we hear Sherlock's phone go off, John starts to go after him but Irene holds up her hand and says, "I don't think so.  Do you?"  What is she referring to?

Posted

That has me rather puzzled, too. In fact, most of the conversation between John and Irene goes completely over my head. It's a beautifully filmed and acted scene, the scripts sounds amazing, but it always leaves me going "Huh? What was the point of all that?"

Posted

I had the impression that Jim did engage in "something more physical" with Molly -- but cannot speak to whether he enjoyed it!

 

Maybe he did enjoy it...maybe he even retained some affection for her and that is the real reason he had no snipers on her?  Not because he didn't think Sherlock didn't care for her, but because he himself did?  A reach, I know.  I guess we know nothing about any emotion Jim might have been able to feel. 

Posted

Okay, after Irene sends Sherlock the text  saying "I'm hungry, let's have dinner." to let him know that she's still alive, and we hear Sherlock's phone go off, John starts to go after him but Irene holds up her hand and says, "I don't think so.  Do you?"  What is she referring to?

 

I always assumed she means that it wouldn't be a good idea to go after him at that particular moment, that he probably wouldn't want to talk and would want to be alone.

 

 

  • Like 1
Posted

 

I had the impression that Jim did engage in "something more physical" with Molly -- but cannot speak to whether he enjoyed it!

 

Maybe he did enjoy it...maybe he even retained some affection for her and that is the real reason he had no snipers on her?  Not because he didn't think Sherlock didn't care for her, but because he himself did?  A reach, I know.  I guess we know nothing about any emotion Jim might have been able to feel. 

 

 

I don't think they got that far in their "relationship". Molly said in TRF that they went out three times and then she ended it. And I can't really imagine Moriarty having genuine feelings for anybody. For me he's the real psychopat. 

  • Like 3
Posted

Yeah, I have trouble imagining Jim having normal emotions. Affection doesn't strike me as "his area."

  • Like 1
Posted

Sexiest line from Scandal and perhaps in all the episodes?  "...Because I took your pulse."  That deep whisper in her ear.  Melt, melt, melt.

  • Like 1
Posted

Possibly sexiest line, true, but also one of the biggest "gotcha's."  Even though I know perfectly well how the line is going to end, I still expect him to say something else!

 

  • Like 1
Posted

I keep wondering if Mrs. Hudson hadn't interrupted what was becoming a very intense moment, would Sherlock have accepted Irene's invitation to dinner.  Even he seems a little off-put by the break in momentum, and he seems to slightly console Irene with, "It's not the end of the world, it's just Mrs. Hudson."  I think he was being drawn into Irene's spell.

Posted

Thank God for Mrs. Hudson! :D 

 

I don't know why -- I have no trouble thinking of Sherlock as having relationships with women -- but the idea of him submitting to a dominatrix -- or submitting to anyone, and not just sexually --  really bothers me. Not just Sherlock, but anyone being submissive to another bothers me, now that I think about it. Does that make me woefully priggish? Or wonderfully liberated? I can't decide!

  • Like 1
Posted

Certainly the way he is drawn now, relationship with women wouldn't go well but that's mostly because he just isn't a people person.  He really doesn't have the skills (yet) to be with someone.  He is just barely learning to have friends, but even in TEH, he doesn't approach his return into John's life like an adult but like a child.  He can't get off the mustache issue and is joking.

 

I also have no problem thinking of him in relationships with women, but right now Molly is the only one who "sees" him, but although she counts to him and he appreciates all she's done, he doesn't "see" her.  

 

When he says in "ASiP" that he's married to his work, I think it's really a way for him to avoid personal relationships because he just doesn't know how to have them.  Mycroft makes several illusions to Sherlock having no experience with women and Moriarty calls him a virgin.  Irene senses his inexperience immediately which is why she tells him she's not sure he knows where to look on her naked body.  Later she takes her conversation from "Have you ever had anyone" to "let's have dinner."  Well, she's a dominatrix.  She can spot inexperience.

 

He and Irene would never work out.  For one thing, I feel like with her - "Once a blackmailer, ALWAYS a blackmailer."  He would never trust her.  He would also never put himself with a dominatrix because he always has to be in control of a situation.  He liked her intellect and that's how they connected.  He only made one little stab at their relationship, and that was to text her a happy new year.  

 

I do feel like he had some connection with Janine at the wedding.  He clearly was being charming to her, and he was charmed by her liking of him so much so that he demonstrated a pirouette and started to show off to her during the great deduction.  And at the dance, he looked to her and would have gone to her to dance with her until he saw she was with someone, and then he left.  Alone.  Alone is still his most comfortable place to be.

 

I think it would be hard for him to date in the traditional sense because he finds traditional dating activities to be boring - as evidenced by his snips with John in TBB.  Dinner and a movie?  He'd be bored to tears.  Romance is an activity that would be too slow for him.  

Posted

Thank God for Mrs. Hudson! :D

 

I don't know why -- I have no trouble thinking of Sherlock as having relationships with women -- but the idea of him submitting to a dominatrix -- or submitting to anyone, and not just sexually --  really bothers me.

 

I don't know... I think it makes a lot of sense that Sherlock would be drawn to Irene when it comes to sex. I don't suppose he'd want the more "elaborate" services she might have to offer, but he's so stiff and averse to admitting any bodily desires - how would he ever manage to get anywhere with a woman physically if she didn't just take over and made him feel that none of what was happening was his "fault" in the least? Besides, he'd probably be very bored by the "usual" love bird stuff and he'd probably need a more-than-ordinary level of excitement in a relationship. Sure, he seemed to enjoy himself fine with Janine, but that little fling had the extra spice of being all an act he had to maintain, so I guess that was where the thrill came in there.

 

Actually, I can't imagine Sherlock having sex with anybody at all, and I'm not too keen on doing so, either. I do hope the writers can keep him single. Doyle could... why not them?

  • Like 1
Posted

Well, Doyle was writing in a far different era!!! -- but yeah, I agree.  I'd like to see Sherlock be friends with a woman, tho, I think that would be a nice update.

Posted

Well, Doyle was writing in a far different era!!! -- but yeah, I agree.  I'd like to see Sherlock be friends with a woman, tho, I think that would be a nice update.

 

Well, he is friends with Molly, isn't he? And Mrs Hudson... And Janine could be a friend, too, if he let her.

 

Posted

I'm not sure about Molly, I think she still has the crush, that makes it hard to be friends. Yeh, Janine's cool.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 242 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of UseWe have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.Privacy PolicyGuidelines.