Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted

Yes, thank you! There's got to be snow somewhere this time of year, and as it's sure not outside my window, I'm glad to see it here at least.

Posted

I totally love the snow! It's so beautiful. Yesterday I kept sitting here and watched the snowflakes, trying to find a pattern in when and where they fall, how large they are etc. I didn't find one, but I realised some of them are lilac :D

Posted

It has a very calming influence on me right now. I had a shitty day and now the hurricane warnings I disregarded have come true and there's a raging hail storm outside with thunder and lightening, too. It's December, for goodness' sake! Whatever happened to Christmas season?

 

I do hope our electricity won't be cut off...

Posted

I had that storm here at 2 o'clock, Toby. And there is one good thing about it: There is still a lot (!) of hail on the ground and when you don't look closely it looks like snow!

Posted

Well, it reassures me that you seem to have survived it...

  • Like 1
Posted

It has a very calming influence on me right now. I had a shitty day and now the hurricane warnings I disregarded have come true and there's a raging hail storm outside with thunder and lightening, too. It's December, for goodness' sake! Whatever happened to Christmas season?

 

I do hope our electricity won't be cut off...

 

You have hurricanes in Germany?  I thought they only occurred near the ocean, and mostly in the tropics.

 

Or does the German language use the same word for both hurricanes and blizzards?

Posted

 

You have hurricanes in Germany?  I thought they only occurred near the ocean, and mostly in the tropics.

 

Or does the German language use the same word for both hurricanes and blizzards?

 

Well, a blizzard is a snowstorm, right? And it's definitely not snowing here.

 

The German word for the kind of storm we're having is "Orkan". According to the wisdom of the internet, "Orkan" should be translated as "hurricane", so I guess we do have them. An "Orkan" is defined as a storm where wind velocity exceeds a certain speed. That speed has not been reached today (yet...) where I live, but it can be. So yes, I guess we do have hurricanes.

 

Posted

 

You have hurricanes in Germany?  I thought they only occurred near the ocean, and mostly in the tropics.

 

Or does the German language use the same word for both hurricanes and blizzards?

 

Well, a blizzard is a snowstorm, right? And it's definitely not snowing here.

 

The German word for the kind of storm we're having is "Orkan". According to the wisdom of the internet, "Orkan" should be translated as "hurricane", so I guess we do have them. An "Orkan" is defined as a storm where wind velocity exceeds a certain speed. That speed has not been reached today (yet...) where I live, but it can be. So yes, I guess we do have hurricanes.

 

Yup, that sounds like a hurricane, all right.  ("Orkan" even sounds like "hurricane.")  I guess those warm ocean currents that keep Europe from having winters as harsh as ours don't always do you folks a favor.  My sympathy!

 

  • 1 year later...
Posted

Happy Snow, everybody!
 
But just in case anyone prefers the usual appearance of the forum, there are multiple options:
 

Change the theme into "safe for work" and you won't have snow. :)

 
"Safe for Work" is also minus the Victorian top-of-page picture (in fact, there's no picture there at all).  For those who enjoy having a (non-Victorian) holiday picture but don't care for the snow, there's a "Deviant 3 (No Snow)" theme available.  And for those who like the snow but prefer a non-holiday picture, there's always good ol' IP.Board.

You'll find the "Change Theme" link at the lower-left of any forum page.

 

  • Like 1
Posted

Oh, yay!

 

I forgot about the snow!  Best time of year...

  • Like 1
Posted

Happy snowing..!

I want to fulfill a nice housekeeper landlady's wish to see Sherlock in antler.

  • Like 2
Posted

I have the antler's!!! Now if you'll just figure out how to get him to wear them, we're set.

Posted

I want to fulfill a nice housekeeper landlady's wish to see Sherlock in antler.

 

Seems to me we did have a top-of-the-page picture of Sherlock in antlers during snow season one year.  Tim?

Posted

The forum looks so pretty! Thank you, Tim!

Posted

I have the antler's!!! Now if you'll just figure out how to get him to wear them, we're set.

 

 

 

I want to fulfill a nice housekeeper landlady's wish to see Sherlock in antler.

 

Seems to me we did have a top-of-the-page picture of Sherlock in antlers during snow season one year.  Tim?

 

You mean you guys never noticed the horrendous antler I made my avatar wears?? :cry:

  • Like 1
Posted

The snowflakes made me realize I've been here over a year now!    

  • Like 2
Posted

I need to log on to my computer as I'm in tapatalk so no snow.

Posted

 

You mean you guys never noticed the horrendous antler I made my avatar wears?? :cry:

 

I did, I did! What do I win?

Posted

This may not be the place for this, but I haven't been getting email notifications for over a week. Since I've been reading about the snow and themes, my suspicion is one thing may have something to do with the other.

 

Carol, thoughts? (Since I won't know when you'll reply, I'll just have to check back.) Thanks!

Posted

Hi Pamela ... are you sure it's only been about a week? Caya and I were noticing we'd stopped receiving notifications a month or two ago, but thought maybe it was a mods-only thing.

 

Is anyone receiving notifications for anything anymore? (Assuming you have your settings set up to receive any, of course. :) )

Posted

This may not be the place for this, but I haven't been getting email notifications for over a week. Since I've been reading about the snow and themes, my suspicion is one thing may have something to do with the other.

 

What kind(s) of notifications have you stopped receiving, Pamela?  And how precise a date can you give us?

 

I'm signed up to receive (among other things) notifications when I get a Personal Message.  I did receive such a notification on December 8th, but when I got another PM on the 9th, there was no email notification.  This year's snow doesn't appear to have started till the 17th.

 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 131 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of UseWe have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.Privacy PolicyGuidelines.