Shoot the Wall (A.K.A. The Rant Thread)

Banshee

3 hours ago, Pseudonym said:

At risk of ranting and being off topic... 😛

My f*cking car strikes again. The battery was disconnected all weekend, connected it back up this morning, got in, bloody thing won't start. Breakdown service said they can't come out for three hours. Finally managed to jump it, drove down to main road, bloody thing died again, at traffic lights, in rush hour traffic. EVENTUALLY jumped it again,  got it to a lay-by, it died again. Jumped it AGAIN, and then sat there revving it for half an hour with my foot spasming. It's half 8, I just got into work, and I'm utterly exhausted. 

Terrible. I can just hear the other drivers' reactions at your plight. Shameful. When a day starts out that badly it might be providential to just go home and back to bed. Hope it picked up for you.

• Like 2

Pseud, you were talking a while back about wanting to take the car to an electrical expert.  Have you been able to find one?

I found one but not long after I said that my boiler died so now I don’t have the funds. 😔

• Sad 1

I wish I could find a good gif of John Clease's character from Fawlty Towers  beating his car with a branch... Mentally insert that here. 

On 10/9/2018 at 4:09 AM, Pseudonym said:

They're asking to be slapped around a bit if they keep this up!

That actually worked for me before and recently.

We had this old dying TV back then that need to be abused (slapping, poking, turning on and off) before it decided to show anything.

My office projector needs a good slap when it shut down randomly.

A elevator refused to close its door and kept banging on invisible thing and opened up again everytime. I gave it a kick and it worked, to the applause of other fellow riders.

Two week ago, my phone charger (possible the plug on the phone as well) didn't work unless I put it in a very very specific angle, and then one day it stopped working completely whichever angles I tried. From trying very very patiently I got very furious and slammed it on the floor multiple times (I was at the brink and had tried everything else --> bringing it to service center could cost more and not worth it, it had also been bugged with other malfunctions, I had bought new one but it didn't arrive on time), and finally slammed it while charger still attached to the phone. The neck of the charger twitched into 45degree and guess what, it charged perfectly after that. It lasted me another week, crucial week.

I hate to admit that anger could make me abusive to stuff, but since I can't afford destroying thing, sometimes I hurt my hand punching something (idiot), so  I completely get the scene when Sherlock destroys the coffin. Give me those! Piece of cake.

• Like 1

On 10/5/2018 at 8:17 PM, Artemis said:

That reminds me, I was digging through some bins awhile back and came across a short story I had to write for my 10th grade mythology class.  I should see if I can dig it up again and post it here, so you all can laugh at it.  :lol:

^ I found it!  I even started an AO3 account just to show it to you, but then decided I liked Tumblr better, lol.  I thought it was a little long for an actual post.  The link is in the Mind Palace.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

That actually worked for me before and recently.

We had this old dying TV back then that need to be abused (slapping, poking, turning on and off) before it decided to show anything.

My office projector needs a good slap when it shut down randomly.

That's how I get the light bulbs in this house to work. Well, a tap. Sometimes just a touch. It's eerie.

I hate it when the cashier at the counter comments on my food purchases.

"Looks like someone's hungry!"  I'm buying for two people, you twaddle.

"Are you going to eat all that?"  I'm getting meals for three days, nincompoop.

Yes, I am hungry.  Presumably, I will also be hungry tomorrow, and the day after.

Because it's really a veiled comment on my weight.  I'm not a size two, so of course I must be stuffing my face 24/7.

Meanwhile, the skinny minny next to me can walk out with 6 bags and a pizza for 12 and nary a peep.

• Sad 1

Huh, I don't think anyone has ever commented on my food other than 'I love sesame!' or 'oh, I was thinking of trying these, are they nice?'

I do go to self-service checkouts whenever humanly possible so that probably helps. 

In my office at home I have a metal noticeboard, and I needed to get some magnets so I could stick things up. I like the metal ones that look like pushpins, so after much hunting about I bought a set on eBay. I knew they were coming from China, so I bought them well in advance (mid August) wanting them before the start of my course in October. Well, they still haven't arrived. It was the end of September before eBay even let me contact the seller, I've now been emailing back and forth with them and have asked several times for a refund which they keep putting off and asking me to wait longer. They are now taking the pee. Sent another email last night asking, again, for a refund, and they told me to be patient. I ordered them TWO MONTHS ago!!! So I've now gone through eBay resolutions since they are clearly playing silly buggers. I've already had to buy replacements from the UK, so now I just want my money. It's only six quid, but still. 

• Confused 1

Finally have a refund, hoorah! Amazing how they hop to when you get eBay involved directly. 

I know everyone is different, everyone learns at different paces etc etc, and we keep telling him that, but there's this bloke on my course group who keeps moaning whenever someone says they're ahead or they are finding things easy. I'm finding it a ridiculously low workload and extremely easy at the moment, I'm already four weeks ahead and I've had to just stop studying because I don't want to get too far ahead of the planner. Meanwhile he's whining 'it's a lot to take in when you left school in the '70s.' That's fine, you do things at your own pace, but don't bitch when other people find it easy. 

2 hours ago, Pseudonym said:

'it's a lot to take in when you left school in the '70s.'

I can understand where he's coming from.  The world seems far more complex than it did back then.  Wonder how I'd feel if I were back in school now?!

When others say how easy it is, it may sound to him like they're bragging or even criticizing him, which would make him feel even more inadequate.  And perhaps what you perceive as him bitching at the rest of you is actually him being hard on himself.  (Not that that makes it any easier to take!)

I get that, but whining every time someone says something is really started to get on my nerves. Literally all that needs to be done this week is read one chapter of the book. An introduction chapter. 

And everyone keeps saying 'everyone works at their own pace, don't panic, you do you, etc etc etc'

6 minutes ago, Pseudonym said:

... everyone keeps saying 'everyone works at their own pace, don't panic, you do you, etc etc etc'

That may sound a bit patronizing to him.  Might be best if the rest of you could stop commenting on how easy you find it and concentrate instead on discussing the subject matter.  Let him find his own pace without being reminded that others are not feeling so challenged.  That may be a bit tricky, but if the alternative is to listen to more moaning....

My university doesn't allow us to work ahead.  They keep each week's material and assignments locked until the week starts.  I don't really understand the logic behind that; why not let people work ahead if they want to?  :bemused:

*Sigh*, snow...

I guess I'd rather have snow than rain right now, if it's going to be cold anyway.

1 hour ago, Artemis said:

My university doesn't allow us to work ahead.  They keep each week's material and assignments locked until the week starts.  I don't really understand the logic behind that; why not let people work ahead if they want to?  :bemused:.

Maybe it's to keep the instructor from going crazy, trying to answer questions from students who are studying a dozen different chapters.