Shoot the Wall (A.K.A. The Rant Thread)

Banshee

*gently bangs head against the nearest wall in frustration*

I see I'm not the only one who thinks this forum needs a "banging head on wall" icon. :)

And the banging head would be used often with our feelings towards Moftiss in regards to several things relating to Sherlock both past & future (& present when a new episode is airing).

• Like 4

SherlockedCAMPer, if you'd care to write that up in more detail and/or with some examples, and post it somewhere in the Afghanistan or Iraq? sub-forum, maybe someone can help you.

If I think of it in the morning, I will try to do that as I still haven't found it yet. I wish I could remember the text I saw better than the fuzzy memory that it is.

SherlockedCAMPer, if you'd care to write that up in more detail and/or with some examples, and post it somewhere in the Afghanistan or Iraq? sub-forum, maybe someone can help you.

If I think of it in the morning, I will try to do that as I still haven't found it yet. I wish I could remember the text I saw better than the fuzzy memory that it is.

If you click on your username in the search bar beneath the main forum banner, a pop-up menu will appear. Click on "my content" and it will take you to a page which can show you everything you've ever posted, in date order. Using the options on the left you can choose to display "Topics", "Posts" or "Topics and Posts"

Choosing the "Posts" option gives you a handy list of the posts you have made, and their content.

If you can track down your rogue post, then a member of staff can move it to the relevant topic for you (if it turns out to have been misplaced).

I hope this helps!

:)

• Like 2

Thank you. Will try that once I get my computer up.

If you click on your username in the search bar beneath the main forum banner, a pop-up menu will appear. Click on "my content" and it will take you to a page which can show you everything you've ever posted, in date order. Using the options on the left you can choose to display "Topics", "Posts" or "Topics and Posts"

Choosing the "Posts" option gives you a handy list of the posts you have made, and their content.

If you can track down your rogue post, then a member of staff can move it to the relevant topic for you (if it turns out to have been misplaced).

I hope this helps!

:)

Thank you Undead Medic

I found what I was looking for.  My reply as it turns out is in the correct thread (now hidden as I thought it was incorrect).  With the other replies that came in as I was doing my reply, I got confused (it was late enough) when that happened.  I need to edit my post to include a quote and it will be all good.  So if we can do that.  I will stop virtually banging my head against the wall and do a  :facepalm:  :picard: instead  :)

• Like 2

And maybe I should note the thread is the SIB episode thread. Is there a way to unhide a hidden post? If not, I know what I wrote as a response & can repost it.

Yes, it's a simple matter to unhide a post.  But I just had a look in the Scandal in Belgravia thread (as well as in the Tom thread that I split off from it), and don't offhand see any hidden posts dated since you joined.  Could you give me the date and time of either that post or the one immediately before or after it?

Yes, it's a simple matter to unhide a post.  But I just had a look in the Scandal in Belgravia thread (as well as in the Tom thread that I split off from it), and don't offhand see any hidden posts dated since you joined.  Could you give me the date and time of either that post or the one immediately before or after it?

This is what I posted (& hid) on October 19, then copied over to OneNote on my computer (hence the link after my reply):

In the episodes I've seen in series 5, there hasn't been a need yet. Nothing has been so crazily contrived to drive us nuts. But part of that may be the sci-fi factor of it that Sherlock doesn't have.

Pasted from <http://www.sherlockforum.com/forum/topic/5-episode-21-a-scandal-in-belgravia/page-27?do=findComment&comment=43416

GAH! I was really lookng forward to half term and I've just found out I have a Biochemisty exam the DAY I start back! I'm going to be revising all holiday :(

• Like 1

Oh good heavens, I HATE that sort of nonsense!  I remember the time I had a term-paper due immediately after Christmas break.  Told myself I could do the research at the library near my parents' house -- but of course I didn't.  So I asked the professor for an extension, and took a grade cut.

Oh good heavens, I HATE that sort of nonsense!  I remember the time I had a term-paper due immediately after Christmas break.  Told myself I could do the research at the library near my parents' house -- but of course I didn't.  So I asked the professor for an extension, and took a grade cut.

It'll be worth it when I can get promoted...but until then ARRRRRRGH!

GAH! I was really lookng forward to half term and I've just found out I have a Biochemisty exam the DAY I start back! I'm going to be revising all holiday :(

Oh I so feel with you! I just spent 2 weeks on holiday, from Sunday to Sunday - or I nearly did, because on the Wednesday of the second week I had to take my final oral exam at uni. So I spent the whole first week of the two revising. Then I took the train home on Tuesday, did my exam on Wednesday morning only to find out that the train drivers went on strike on that exact Wednesday, and so instead of returning to my holidays, I had to stay at home for another day before taking the first train on Thursday morning and enjoy my remaining 2 1/2 days of real holiday.... brrrr!

• Like 1

Oh no. I feel for you. Biochemistry sucks big time. I still have no idea how I passed those courses at university. None whatsoever. I even had to take an oral Biochemistry exam once and to this day, I have no clue what it was about, let alone why the professor didn't fail me.

Just the word "Biochemistry" makes my throat constrict. (Even worse, though, is "Physics").

Praise the Lord and pass the semester system! Or come to think of it, the quarter system. Why are you all having stuff due at the START of the new year? The university I went to, everything was due before the Christmas break, then you took a long holiday, and came back refreshed to new classes the next year. Worked great, I loved everything about college except for .... ta da, Toby, you win the no prize! Physics. Ew. Down with Physics!

Down with physics by all means. (And biochemistry).

(Good thing the chances of my father ever reading this and recognizing me is close to zero. He studied physics.)

I have a very petty rant: Last weekend, I bought a DVD. I saw part of the film version of "The Fault in Our Stars" on the airplane recently, and I really wanted it (on the rare occasion where a movie appeals to me just as much as the book it is based on, I tend to be pretty enthusiastic about it all). I popped it in the player today, hoping for a lovely two hours of good crying, and all I saw was pixels. Big ugly pixels, overlayed with perfect sound. GAAAAHHHH!

Why is this rant-worthy? My holiday is over. I work all goddamn day. The stores are not open when I get out, because I live in the middle of nowhere. By the time I get the opportunity, I won't be able to return the damn thing any more. And I really want to see that film. Like, now.

Serves me right for not just sticking with Sherlock as usual. But sometimes, I just need sad teenagers talking like poets and falling in love.

• Like 1

I found physics to not be too bad. My only problem

With that course was missing a week of school to a sinus infection causing me to fail 1 test that's killed my grade by a whole letter. I found that annoying as I enjoyed the class (live science, hated math & I'm a math teacher's daughter).

I have a very petty rant: Last weekend, I bought a DVD. I saw part of the film version of "The Fault in Our Stars" on the airplane recently, and I really wanted it (on the rare occasion where a movie appeals to me just as much as the book it is based on, I tend to be pretty enthusiastic about it all).

OMG, I read that book and literally broke down in tears several times. I rarely start crying over something that happens in books (other than films...), but what that book did to me was really a first and (hopefully?) unique experience.

I have a very petty rant: Last weekend, I bought a DVD. I saw part of the film version of "The Fault in Our Stars" on the airplane recently, and I really wanted it (on the rare occasion where a movie appeals to me just as much as the book it is based on, I tend to be pretty enthusiastic about it all).

OMG, I read that book and literally broke down in tears several times. I rarely start crying over something that happens in books (other than films...), but what that book did to me was really a first and (hopefully?) unique experience.

:lol: You know, when I stared reading it, I knew exactly what would happen after the first fifty pages or so. But even though I predicted the plot correctly, it still hit me really bad when what I had fully expected really took place.

I don't even think it's a terribly, terribly good book. At least my brain doesn't. My heart loves it.

I've cried harder over other books, and I have certainly been moved to deeper and more original thoughts by other books, but this is just... I don't know. Satisfying. For me. And I don't even find it so very, very sad. It's not bleak-sad, it's good-sad. Damn, now I want to watch that film worse than ever!

I have a very petty rant: Last weekend, I bought a DVD. I saw part of the film version of "The Fault in Our Stars" on the airplane recently, and I really wanted it (on the rare occasion where a movie appeals to me just as much as the book it is based on, I tend to be pretty enthusiastic about it all). I popped it in the player today, hoping for a lovely two hours of good crying, and all I saw was pixels. Big ugly pixels, overlayed with perfect sound. GAAAAHHHH!

Why is this rant-worthy? My holiday is over. I work all goddamn day. The stores are not open when I get out, because I live in the middle of nowhere. By the time I get the opportunity, I won't be able to return the damn thing any more. And I really want to see that film. Like, now.

Speaking as someone else who lives In the Middle of Nowhere, you might try some basic troubleshooting techniques.  Have you tried more than once to view that DVD?  Have you tried a different DVD in the same player?  Have you tried that DVD in a different player? Have you turned the player completely off (which may require physically unplugging it for a few minutes) and then back on again?

Also I've had a couple of DVD's that would play on my computer, but not on my DVD player. One would only play on my laptop computer but not my desktop. So yeah, try different players....

Any luck yet, T.o.b.y?

I just got a letter from our doctor.  We've been seeing her for twenty years now, and she's the best damn doctor either of us has ever had.  Even better, she's younger than either of us, so we figured she could keep on being our doctor for a good many years yet.

The letter says that she's leaving her practice to sell nutritional supplements, and while I have absolutely nothing against nutritional supplements (I take lots of 'em), well -- sheesh!  :(

Bummer. I hate when that happens. (The only dentist I ever liked went and moved to the big city. Bum.)

It's worse when you go to the dentist to get a new wire in your braces, and you get a real looker of a dentist, but then the next time you go there he's gone! :cry:

• Like 2