Canon References In BBC Sherlock

believeinsherlock

This is a fun topic if you've got the patience to do it. Basically, post up any references or nods to the original canon texts that are in the series. I'll start with a few from Sign Of The Four seeing as a few of you have already mentioned you like that one. To make it easier to distinguish, the ACD characters will be "Holmes and Watson" and BBC characters "Sherlock and John":

• Holmes talks about his analysis of tobacco ash
  • He makes fun of Watson’s write up of the Study In Scarlet case saying it’s too emotional and sentimental, just like our Sherlock makes fun of John’s blog
  • Hoilmes only takes drugs because ordinary life is so “dull” and is pleased when Watson offers him a mental challenge because it will stop him taking more drugs ie. Stop him being bored
  • Holmes describing his role as “consulting detective” to Watson.
  • Holmes’s impressive analysis of Watson’s watch becomes the analysis of John’s phone in Study In Pink
  • Watson comments that the woman was very attractive and Holmes says “is she? I did not observe” – he hasn’t even noticed. Watson calls him a machine and inhuman.
  • Holmes knows all the London street names and his mind is like a map! (like chase scene in ASIP).
  • Use of Homeless Network (Baker Street Irregulars)
OK now your turn!
  • Like 1

It clicked the other day that Sherlock in the sheet in Scandal in Belgravia is the modern day equivalent of Sherlock in his dressing gown all day. Back in Victorian days, not being dressed up at the appropriate times of the day was entirely unthinkable. We've sort of moved away from that and staying at home in your pyjamas is sort of not-so-frowned-upon, so that wouldn't have worked so well. But the whole idea of Sherlock refusing to even put a dressing gown on and just wrapping himself in a sheet gives the same kind of feeling the ever-present dressing gown would have given to Victorian readers...

• Like 5

To make something clear: Firstly, I watched the Hound of the Baskerville and THEN I read the book.

I laughed so hard when I read 'Mr Holmes, they were the footprints of a gigantic hound!' I literally HEARD Henry Knight saying it in my head. Those words followed me all day.

It's great that Moffat and Gattis kept that line. The rest of the episode isn't really in sync with the book. So that little line made it for me :)

The solar system-thing is a reference to A Study in Scarlet, which I read before I watched ASIP. That was a nice resemblance too. (did anyone watch the episodes with commentaries? Even Mark Gatiss didn't exactly know in which story Holmes and Watson were discussing the solar system)

But it's the solar system!

• Like 2

ok i'm gonna sound like the dumb one here, but the most amazing connection to the original books I think is THE quote.

when he said it my hair stood up on my neck, and I my friend asked me if i'd noticed it the next time i saw her.

the problem is its been so long since i read the original cases i've totally forgot where he first says it.

I do however think it may be my first tattoo when i'm 30

I went back to refresh my memory, and wouldn't you know, its in my most favorite case.

and i quote

"how often have i said that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?" Sign of the Four

• Like 1

I have been known to say "Aah, my young Padawan, You see but you do not observe." which if the person is familiar with neither Star Wars or Sherlock Holmes, foxes them completely! :rofl:

Really lol? Is that canon?

Yep. Says so in A Sign of the Four

- "DAMN IT!" I exclaimed as the chip and pin machine refused my card for the second time. I was all too aware that one more time and my card would be locked and to save the bother of going to the bank, I merely shouted at the machine and flounced from the market stall, giving the dear woman serving me quite a fright.

I hailed a cab and proceeded to my newly acquired residence where I informed Hoilmes that I shouted at a chip and pin machine in the market. Holmes, being the ever peculiar man that he is, tenderly stroked is violin, smirked, and told me to use his card." - Wordsworth Classics, page 15.

Edited by Sherlocked
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I think possibly my favorite canon reference in the show was in ASIP when Anderson said that Jennifer Wilson probably wrote "Rache" because it meant "revenge" in German, but Sherlock dismissed the idea and closed the door on his face because she was trying to write "Rachel". If you remember from A Study in Scarlet, the word "Rache" was written on the wall in blood which Holmes said was German for "revenge", after Lestrade says that there must be a woman named Rachel. I really loved that bit.

• Like 1

I think possibly my favorite canon reference in the show was in ASIP when Anderson said that Jennifer Wilson probably wrote "Rache" because it meant "revenge" in German, but Sherlock dismissed the idea and closed the door on his face because she was trying to write "Rachel". If you remember from A Study in Scarlet, the word "Rache" was written on the wall in blood which Holmes said was German for "revenge", after Lestrade says that there must be a woman named Rachel. I really loved that bit.

I've yet to read "A Study In Scarlet" but I think I shall have to now, that is a brilliant turnaround, and a great nod to Arthur Conan Doyle.

• Like 1

A Study in Scarlet is one of the stories I have. Must find the time to read them...

• 3 weeks later...

Firstly, I watched the Hound of the Baskerville and THEN I read the book.

I laughed so hard when I read 'Mr Holmes, they were the footprints of a gigantic hound!'

In the original story, those words were spoken by Sir Henry (i.e., he's been knighted), and in the TV episode, the character's name is Henry Knight.

• Like 4

Ah YES!! Loved that! I couldn't help but laugh.

... especially as the butt of the joke was Anderson.

Poor Anderson.

- "DAMN IT!" I exclaimed as the chip and pin machine refused my card for the second time. I was all too aware that one more time and my card would be locked and to save the bother of going to the bank, I merely shouted at the machine and flounced from the market stall, giving the dear woman serving me quite a fright.

I hailed a cab and proceeded to my newly acquired residence where I informed Hoilmes that I shouted at a chip and pin machine in the market. Holmes, being the ever peculiar man that he is, tenderly stroked is violin, smirked, and told me to use his card." - Wordsworth Classics, page 15.

I would have "Liked" that twice if allowed. What a delightful blend of mimicry and utter farce!

• 3 months later...

This isn't about canon, exactly -- but since there's no thread for meta-canon ....

In, I believe, the commentary for "Scandal", Moftiss mentioned that in one of the original stories, John Watson's wife calls him "James," and that in order to explain the discrepancy, "someone" decided that his middle initial "H" must stand for "Hamish" (the Scottish equivalent of "James"). I assumed that they were referring to someone on the Sherlock staff, but recently stumbled across the fact that it was actually Dorothy L. Sayers (1893-1957), author of the "Lord Peter Wimsey" detective series.

While following up on that tidbit, I also discovered that this sort of recreational scholarship is sometimes referred to in Sherlockian circles as "The Great Game" -- so in addition to being a fitting title for Episode 3, that was also an in-joke.

• 1 month later...

I just started reading the original stories by ACD yesterday and I'm sooooo impressed by Moffat and Gatiss. I mean, I knew they were brilliant before, but I only read about 20 pages so far and there're soooo many references already! They're geniuses!!

And I always see Sherlock and John when reading the original. :D

This is so great!

Sorry, I know that this is no real contribution to the topic but I'm just fascinated! :wub:

(Sadly) I have only gotten around to reading 'A Study in Scarlett’; however your right Brainy; Moffat and Gatiss are brilliant.

There are so many scenes in the show riddled with references from the books. However I can never picture Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman while reading the book. It’s not that there is a real problem; it’s merely that the characters in the book are too sophisticated and stiff. Their little quirks are just not present in the books.

The little details that most (not fanatic) fans would not notice (which just shows us how much of a fanatic I am).

I'll eventually get around to reading the rest (when and if my work schedule permits), but I don't think I'll ever be able to picture them.

Oh, and one thing that really make me go "What!!" is in the book Sherlock's hands are always riddled with cuts, bandages and burn marks (because of his various experiments) and yet in the show they're so smooth! Just something I think of every time I see his hands [it’s not like I WANT them to be riddled with cuts but I just can't help thinking of it when I see his hands!]

*EDITED*

I forgot about something else; to me Sherlock always seemed hyperactive, jumping around the room. At times he’d be depressed (about not having a case) but mostly he was hyperactive. Yet in the show he's somewhat calmer.

Did anyone get this impression of hyperactivity in the book or was it just me?

Holmes is, as you say, kind of twitchy in "Study in Scarlet." However, he's much more like Cumberbatch's Sherlock in some of the later stories. I think his hands are more of a mess in "Study" than in later stories, as well. Not sure when he calmed down -- mellowed with age, I suppose. ACD's Holmes was probably somewhere in his 20's in "Study," even younger than Cumberbatch.

I often picture the Sherlock characters when I'm reading, but other times it comes out more Jeremy Brett. Depending on my mood? On how they're acting in the story? Dunno.