Episode 3.2, "The Sign of Three"

Undead Medic

What Did You Think Of "The Sign of Three"?  

123 members have voted

1. 1. Add Your Vote Here:

• 10/10 Excellent
    • 9/10 Not Quite The Best, But Not Far Off.
    • 8/10 Certainly Worth Watching Again.
    • 7/10 Slightly Above The Norm.
    • 6/10 Average.
    • 5/10 Slightly Sub-Par.
    • 4/10 Decidedly Below Average.
    • 3/10 Pretty Poor.
    • 2/10 Bad.
    • 1/10 Terrible.

Anyway, I keep going back to how much that amazing wedding must have cost.  Holy Moley !

Yeah, it is one of the may little peculiarities of the world of "Sherlock", that money never seems to be an issue. Not even Magnussen seemed interested in it. Too boring, I guess.

The Sign of Three is such a feel-good episode (for me, at least). From beginning to end. The only person I feel really sorry for is Lestrade. Poor man, he really deserves some kind of a break in series 4.

I still don't understand why I like the stag night. I'm not usually into silly things. But for some reason, it makes me sniffle more than laugh. No idea why, but something there seems sad to me. The whole episode is pleasantly melancholy, somehow.

The moment at the beginning where Sherlock looks at the empty chair and his face twitches slightly is one of my favorites ever.

• Like 2

I think it was The Blind Banker where Sherlock's old schoolmate gave him a cheque for his services.  Sherlock dismissed it but John took it and guarded it carefully.  That's the only time I recall seeing any payment received for services rendered.  I'm assuming the rent on 221B, even if Mrs. Hudson feels an obligation, would be substantial.  Sherlock is always well-dressed and well-groomed and he said once he has "lots of coats".  He and John go everywhere by taxi but when they went to Baskerville, they were driving a Land Rover, which would have to be a pricey rental.  John is a doctor but that doesn't spell instant riches in the UK, I wouldn't think.  Just look at the venue for the wedding !  Must have cost a fortune !  So ... where does all this money come from ?  I can see Mycroft subsidizing Sherlock, but I doubt he'd do it for John.  Maybe Mary saved it up from her "hit man" earnings !  :D 

Debbie

Debbie

If the money came from Mary, that should've raised a red flag or three ... if a GP can't get filthy rich in Britain (and I really doubt they can) then that must be even more true of a nurse.

Which is why it has been speculated that Sherlock has a governmental position or patron but not the same one as Mycroft. The Land Rover has been used as the official vehicle of "The Palace", and why he is allowed into "The Palace" dressed only in a sheet. The man has some pull somewhere.

I've always figured that Sherlock comes from a wealthy family, and is supported by some sort of trust fund.  That would explain why his detective cases seem more like a hobby than a business to him.

But yeah, I've wondered about that wedding too.  Even if Sherlock was willing to pay for it, why would John and Mary let him?  Maybe, as Debbie speculated, Mary had a hefty Swiss bank account from her prior career.  After all, it's traditionally the bride's family that pays for the wedding and reception.

Since Mary claimed to be an orphan, perhaps she told John she had some inheritance saved up and used money from her former job (which I bet was much better paid than nursing)?

But yeah, I've wondered about that wedding too.  Even if Sherlock was willing to pay for it, why would John and Mary let him? 

He's Sherlock. How would they STOP him? :P

You've got a point, but I suspect Mary would find a way.  She seems to have a pretty good handle on his behavior.

• Like 1

On Carol's point about Sherlock coming from a wealthy family...that does sound plausible as Mummy and Daddy Holmes can wing it across the pond just to do some line dancing....unless Mycroft was being snarky.....but if he wasn't....it seems they did it on a regular bases and that does take having a hefty bank account.

But then there is Magnussen's "file" reference on Sherlock that he doesn't seem to have a source for his income. Magnussen notes Mycroft but even then there is a question mark.

Well, here's what Mycroft actually says (from Ariane DeVere's transcript):

MYCROFT: Have to phone our parents, of course, in Oklahoma.  Won’t be the first time that your substance abuse has wreaked havoc with their line-dancing.

I believe he's referring to the actual state.

That's why I thought it was a joke. I thought we were supposed to assume he was referring to the state, and then the punch line reveals that he is talking about dancing, hence the musical.

After all, we know they like musicals. Mycroft has to take them to see Les Mis.

Oh, OK, I get your point now.  But I'm not sure they do line dancing in Oklahoma (the musical).  In fact, I'd never heard of line dancing till the past few decades (and the musical is much older than that, from the 40's I think).  Also, my impression is that it's mostly done by amateurs for their own enjoyment, rather than as a performance.

P.S.:  When I Google "line dancing" Oklahoma, I  see nothing about the musical (except in a couple of discussions of Mycroft's quote), but I do get lots of references to clubs and classes in that state -- so it's a very popular activity there.

• Like 1

I suppose you're right. I just thought it was quite funny. I assumed they were in an amateur version which included line dancing. I can picture them in their cowboy boots.....

If Mummy & Daddy do get over to Oklahoma regularly, you'd think they would also be able to travel to London more often, particularly as both their sons live there. Evidently they don't visit often, as they were describing the usual sightseeing tour when they were at Sherlock's flat.

Parents can be like that, absolutely. The nearer the kids, the less they might see them....and in this case.....the kids not wanting to see them.

I suppose you're right. I just thought it was quite funny. I assumed they were in an amateur version which included line dancing. I can picture them in their cowboy boots.....

Oh, I don't think you necessarily have to give up on the cowboy boots. I believe that line dancers have some sort of traditional outfits (just as square dancers do).  Not sure whether the outfits include boots, though.

If Mummy & Daddy do get over to Oklahoma regularly, you'd think they would also be able to travel to London more often, particularly as both their sons live there. Evidently they don't visit often, as they were describing the usual sightseeing tour when they were at Sherlock's flat.

Sounds funny calling it just Sherlock's flat, doesn't it?

Well, if Mr. & Mrs. Holmes are, as John says, so ordinary, maybe they just really get into that sort of tour.

Or maybe they do visit often, maybe even used to live in London -- and of course local folks (anywhere) never do the tourist thing, so they're making up for lost time. Like Alex & me attending the Indy 500 (which naturally we've never done).

Changing the subject completely...

Major Sholto is probably the least interesting "client" to me so far, and also one of the weakest characters. I think he's fairly one-dimensional - but also very reminiscent of Doyle's minor characters, so that doesn't bother me as much as it could. I find it hard to believe, however, that John should be close enough to him to warrant jealousy on Sherlock's part. Besides, Sherlock has never seemed to care before who else John hung out with - he never objected to Mike Stamford, for example, did he? So why does he mind Sholto so much? It was funny to watch and also kind of endearing in an "oh, Sherlock..." kind of way, but I'm not entirely certain I understand...

I wasn't keen on Sholto either but, as you say, some of ACD's minor characters tended towards the cardboard cut-out type as well, so maybe we can excuse him for being a bit one-dimensional.

I hadn't questioned Sherlock's jealousy but you're right, it is a bit out of character. Maybe he is feeling a bit vulnerable, as he is now in the situation where he seems to need John more than John needs him. Or maybe the clue is in the slip about "your former commander." Perhaps Sherlock doesn't mind John's friendship with non- threatening people like Stamford but gets jealous at the appearance of another alpha male. In other words, Sherlock wants to be the bossy one in their relationship and doesn't like the idea that John has ever had a similar connection to someone else.

• Like 2

I hadn't questioned Sherlock's jealousy but you're right, it is a bit out of character.

...maybe the clue is in the slip about "your former commander." Perhaps Sherlock doesn't mind John's friendship with non- threatening people like Stamford but gets jealous at the appearance of another alpha male.

I don't think it's terribly out of character, I just wouldn't have expected it. But, since I love to make sense of things "in universe" and especially love to ponder the presumed workings of Sherlock's funny old brain (which yes, I know does not really exist, but I like to pretend it does), I have a kind of a theory:

Jealousy is in the air anyway. I am sure Sherlock isn't entirely indifferent to John getting married. He didn't voice his discontent as openly as the original figure with his "dismal groan" and his refusal to congratulate Watson - he wasn't in any position to do so, as he had just barely managed his way back into John's good graces after his return from the dead. In my book, Sherlock does not covet Mary's place in John's life, though, so he can come to terms with the change by being officially appointed "best friend / man" as Mary is made "wife". Still, he feels a vacancy, and he feels that because he is who he is, there is hardly any chance that he will be able to fill up the void with a lady love of his own. So when Sholto shows up, another man who could be John's "best mate" and commanding officer on the battle field of life, it is really the last straw. Because, unlike marriage, this is Sherlock's "area" and so all the free floating jealously and fear of loss gravitate around the major.

Tadaa - amateur psychology to the rescue of my muddled brain!

• Like 2

Ah.....there we differ, as I think Sherlock does feel ousted by Mary but is sublimating his feelings by trying to share John's love for her. A bit like a child trying to overcome their jealousy towards the new baby by sharing in its care, almost trying to take on the role of another parent. (I may have mentioned this theory before!). Sherlock loves John, John loves Mary, Mary loves John, so Sherlock tries to love Mary too.

You do get a different perspective if you think Sherlock is straight or gay (or possibly bisexual.). I never felt a moment's animosity towards Janine, for instance, as I never took her seriously as a girlfriend. As Sherlock himself says, girlfriends are not his area. Boyfriends, on the other hand......I do think that that is a possibility. I think he might see himself as the third (platonic) partner in the Watsons's marriage, as evidenced by the wedding photo, but I think the emotional attachment is to John, not Mary. Maybe that is why he is jealous of Sholto - not because of any former romantic relationship between John and Sholto (the fanfics have explored this idea, but it seems unlikely) but because he doesn't like to think that John has had a previous strong connection with another (bossy!) man.

Johnlock isn't canon, of course, and never will be, but the show is written in a way that allows that type of interpretation and, for those of us who see the characters in that light, it can work.

You do get a different perspective if you think Sherlock is straight or gay (or possibly bisexual.).

My best guess there is that Sherlock hasn't given sex much thought either way in the past and the future is unclear. He might have had some kind of affair with Irene in Karachi (either actually in the flesh or just in his imagination), but as that lady kindly pointed out to John, that wouldn't necessarily prove anything about anybody's sexual orientation.

I have no idea why Sherlock didn't sleep with Janine while he was pretending to be her boyfriend. After all, they did kiss and play around in the bathroom, so it's not like there was no physical connection at all. Perhaps he was wary that if he got too close to her, he'd become emotionally attached and that would get in the way of his plan to use her for the purpose of breaking into Magnussen's office. Or... whatever. I don't really want to know, anyway.

Johnlock isn't canon, of course, and never will be, but the show is written in a way that allows that type of interpretation and, for those of us who see the characters in that light, it can work.

Yes, it can, and I think it's great how the show allows people their various "headcanons", on other matters as well. It's very appropriate for a detective series to let the audience make its own deductions and come up with its own theories.

• Like 1

I have no idea why Sherlock didn't sleep with Janine while he was pretending to be her boyfriend. After all, they did kiss and play around in the bathroom, so it's not like there was no physical connection at all. Perhaps he was wary that if he got too close to her, he'd become emotionally attached and that would get in the way of his plan to use her for the purpose of breaking into Magnussen's office. Or... whatever. I don't really want to know, anyway.

This one might have an out-of-character explanation, as it could be a line Moftiss didn't want to cross with their character. Granted, there is the fake engagement as well, but that at least has the excuse of being canon. Pretending to be in love with someone and then taking the relationship to a physical level could be seen as a form of non-con sex by deception, and that's not a good place to go with a show's hero, generally.

This one might have an out-of-character explanation, as it could be a line Moftiss didn't want to cross with their character. Granted, there is the fake engagement as well, but that at least has the excuse of being canon. Pretending to be in love with someone and then taking the relationship to a physical level could be seen as a form of non-con sex by deception, and that's not a good place to go with a show's hero, generally.

True, but this is a "hero" who shoots people while yelling "Merry Christmas" and who lets his best friend witness his presumed suicide... Besides, Janine stated she's have really liked to have gone to bed with him, even after she knew that there was no real love in the matter.

Yeah, Janine said so *afterwards* - but claiming to have known that beforehand might've been stretching it even for Sherlock. As for killing Magnussen, I know plenty of people who found that over the line, too. To say nothing of deceiving John if there really seemed so little purpose to it as Sherlock claimed in Hearse.