Speedy's Cafe - General Chat about anything you like!

Here, have a relaxing "Sherlock" ambience video.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Artemis said:

I just noticed that it's my forum anniversary.  Have I really been here 4 years already?  :blink:

Wow!  It sure doesn't seem that long -- maybe because there haven't been any new episodes since then?

It's been almost nine years for me, but it seems like longer -- maybe because there have been two new series and a special in the interim.

Time here is apparently measured in Sherlock episodes.

• Like 1

Wait, my whole life is measured around Sherlock...doesn't everybody do that?

Life began in 2010. 

My life is either 'BS'...before Sherlock.

or 'AS'...after Sherlock!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Wow!  It sure doesn't seem that long -- maybe because there haven't been any new episodes since then?

Could be!  It’s weird that it’s been that long, ‘cause I actually still feel like a bit of a newbie here, lol.

On 8/30/2017 at 5:47 PM, Arcadia said:

I remember looking for my parents in a store once, and walked right past them without recognizing them. That sort of thing happens a lot. :(

On 8/31/2017 at 12:54 PM, Carol the Dabbler said:

I've probably said this before, but that sure sounds like a case of face blindness.  Most people apparently have an area of their brain that's entirely devoted to recognizing faces -- in addition to a different area of their brain that's devoted to general pattern recognition.  But some people do not have the face-recognition area, so they need to use their pattern-recognition area for faces as well -- which works pretty well, but not as well or as quickly.  My mom has always been like that -- there were a couple of times when I had changed my hairstyle, and she looked right at me and asked me if Carol was there.  I seem to have a touch of that as well (maybe my facial-recognition area is smaller than most people's?).

Today I came across a face-recognition quiz [here].  It's not intended as a real diagnostic -- right now they're apparently testing anyone who comes along, and using the results to help come up with a standardized test -- but it is interesting nevertheless.  They show you black & white photos of famous people (mostly American celebrities), just their faces, and ask if you can identify them.

Alex and I both tried it, and of course he did far better than I did, partly because he's much better at recognizing faces, but also because he's more of a movie buff than I am.  (I got one that he didn't, though.   :D )

5 hours ago, Artemis said:

It’s weird that it’s been that long, ‘cause I actually still feel like a bit of a newbie here, lol.

I spent several years feeling like a newbie myself.  I joined when the forum was only a couple of months old, but it was already well established.  The "older" members have mostly wandered off by now, though.

On 1/26/2021 at 8:56 AM, Artemis said:

But then I would have to buy a garment or cloth in every color I want to test.  :bemused:  I don’t have that many clothes, lol.  Isn’t there an easier way?

Photoshoppppppppppppppppppppppp (waving wildly at the phone while reading this before I logged in)

On 1/28/2021 at 2:13 AM, besleybean said:

Wait, my whole life is measured around Sherlock...doesn't everybody do that?

Agree, by that definition, we are a bunch of toddlers and kids, we should never grow up. Skinned knee should be my biggest problem instead of bills and trying to stay alive.

@Artemis, I believe you are the newest member who is constantly active, so maybe that's why you feel so. Maybe, maybe! gasp, again, by that definition, I am only older than you, if my blabber once in a while is considered as 'active'.

5 minutes ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

Photoshoppppppppppppppppppppppp (waving wildly at the phone while reading this before I logged in)

Learning Photoshop doesn't sound easier to me, lol.

And then there's still the main problem of me not being able to tell what colors look good on me.  :P

10 minutes ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

Photoshoppppppppppppppppppppppp

I'm not sure that would work.  Seriously.  I think there may need to be some sort of interaction between the garment color and the person's face (maybe a bit of reflection or something?)

If you printed out some pages of pure color, though, and glued enough of them together to cover the person's front, that might work.  But the exact shade would depend on the printer used, so there would be a similar risk as with buying clothing on line, based on how it looks on the monitor.

35 minutes ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

@Artemis, I believe you are the newest member who is constantly active, so maybe that's why you feel so.

Yeah, I think that is the reason.  And on top of that, I didn't come here until after S4 had started airing.  So I missed the heyday.

I actually did stop by this forum sometime in 2012, when I first started watching the show.  But at that time, the headline said something about this being a UK forum, which left me with the impression that it was solely for fans living in the UK.  I thought I couldn't participate, so I passed it by.  So very sad, I could have been subjecting you all to my unasked-for informative posts and random picture sprees all this time.  :P

(I should add that it wasn't entirely the headline's fault that I missed out.  I could have investigated further, but I was disillusioned with the Sherlock fandom at the time, and thus disinclined to give anything fandom-related much of a chance.)

True, printer and monitor accuracy has been a problem forever. But I think it is the easiest way to try all sort of shade and at least get the range because you seem to give a lot of effort in trying to get your color.

As for learning, the one that you need is pretty basic, I taught couple of friends and within less than couple of hours they know how to do basic stuffs. The challenge is to get the software though.

As for UK Forum, I got same impression too, but I was too distraught that time about Reichenbach Fall (misunderstood a friend of mine and thinking that big part of Sherlock story is written after his death), thought he was really dead and need to talk about it, alhough I wasn't confident at all about joining a forum, and almost quit when my English was criticized a lot. Luckily I had been a lurker for awhile before joining and believe that this place is not terrible despite the not pleasant experience.

• Sad 1

23 minutes ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

I wasn't confident at all about joining a forum, and almost quit when my English was criticized a lot. Luckily I had been a lurker for awhile before joining and believe that this place is not terrible despite the not pleasant experience.

Who criticized your English??  I will smack them upside the head with my English degree.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

52 minutes ago, Artemis said:

I actually did stop by this forum sometime in 2012, when I first started watching the show.  But at that time, the headline said something about this being a UK forum, which left me with the impression that it was solely for fans living in the UK.  I thought I couldn't participate, so I passed it by.

Oh, good, looks like Tim took that down.  I think he was merely trying to distinguish this forum as "the real thing," but yeah, I thought it sounded just a bit exclusive.  OK, I just checked, and it appears that you were the catalyst for the change [here], back in 2017.

47 minutes ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

... almost quit when my English was criticized a lot.

I think I remember that.  As I recall, it was someone (mentioning no names) who is no longer active here.  Not that there's necessarily any connection, but we do try to run a hospitable establishment here.

18 minutes ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

OK, I just checked, and it appears that you were the catalyst for the change [here], back in 2017.

QdZZKDm.gif?1

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Artemis said:

QdZZKDm.gif?1

Hey, don't go!

If you go, the newest regular member would be more than four years old!! Good god!

• Haha 1

Does anyone know of a simple way to protect oneself from inhalant allergens for brief periods of time?

My cat allergy has flared up recently, and I'd like some way to keep from making it worse while cleaning the litter boxes.  Maybe some specific sort of dust mask?

I'm afraid I don't have any ideas for you at present.  :(  Hopefully somebody else will.

Er, aren't those ffp2/3 masks (though I think they're called N95 in the US) supposed to filter dust particles? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Caya said:

Er, aren't those ffp2/3 masks (though I think they're called N95 in the US) supposed to filter dust particles? 

That's exactly what they're made for!

• Thanks 1

I'm not familiar with that terminology -- are you talking about the masks we're currently required to wear in public places?  Assuming that you are:

When using them to block (or at least diminish) allergen transmission, I'm guessing (?) that I'd need to wear a fresh one every time, which seems wasteful.  But I'm also guessing (?) that any of the currently-available cloth masks would also work reasonably well against litter dust, so if I had several I could use them each once and then wash them all.  Now I'm wondering whether hand-washing would be adequate to de-allergen them?

Definitely over-thinking this!

Not to give wrong impression, I don't mind being criticized at all, feel free to do so, very aware of my own shortcoming. Just that particular past felt like personal attack that make me wonder if it's frown upon here (that UK plays a part too) because I would gladly leave without any hard feeling, all my life I try to never overstay my welcome. It's all well now.

21 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Does anyone know of a simple way to protect oneself from inhalant allergens for brief periods of time?

It must be a dilemma to be allergic but loves cats. Oh dear.

As for masks, I have multiple cloth masks that I wash just like how I'd wash clothes. I tried to do whatever tricks someone told me, but almost burned them. Why don't you try one and see how it goes? I'd recommend washing them rightaway after using.

Above that medical mask and N95 should provide better coverage with N95 being the higher end. 

Also, would it help if you change the kitty litter to sand type? The dust could be.. I don't know, more natural? 

• Thanks 1