Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted

You're not helpful!  :P  I'm asking about the tinge of it.  Is it a cool brown or a warm brown?

 

Posted

Let's see, I'd say it looks like my eye color.

Objectively, it looks pretty warm brown to me.

Subjectively, I was never told that I have warm loving eyes.

Hope that helps! 😝

  • Haha 1
  • Tongue 1
Posted

I'd call that chestnut, so warm brown fwiw.

  • Thanks 1
Posted

I agree, more golden than ashen.  Of course it also depends on the lighting.

If that photo was on a box of hair dye, though, the results on one's own hair could be just about anything.  (Voice of experience here.  I once went for a nice subtle auburn and got flaming red.)

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Posted

But @Artemis, you never told us why do you want to know! 

 

Meanwhile,

20210118-140106.jpg

I hope they don't risk their lives with capes because they don't even wear mask the proper way!

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Posted

Happy new year everyone!! With a lot of delay 😅 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Posted
On 1/18/2021 at 12:03 AM, Van Buren Supernova said:

But @Artemis, you never told us why do you want to know!

Nothing major.  I need to buy a new coat and I was trying to figure out whether a warmer color or cooler color would look best on me.  They're expensive so I don't want to pick the wrong one.  The picture is the closest I could find online to my natural hair color, although on further comparison I think it’s a tad warmer than mine.  (I don't think I'd call it chestnut, personally, because when I Google pictures of chestnut hair they all appear darker brown and quite a bit more red than this.)  I tried to take some pictures of my actual hair, but it changes dramatically with the lighting and they all came out with different tints that weren't really representative of how my hair looks most of the time.

Anyway!  After a little more research I have learned that my hair is neither warm nor cool, it is a neutral tone. 

is-my-hair-color-warm-or-cool-1600x800-1

Which makes sense, because my skin is also a neutral tone; I just didn't know that hair could be neutral-toned too.  And now it makes sense why I seem to be able to pull off some of both warm and cool colors, and why my worst colors are those that are either too dark or too bright/pale.  And why the people who cut my hair (along with everyone else) can never agree on what shade of brown it is, lol.

Gracias for the help!  :smile:  It’s funny you guys all said ‘warm’, because that picture came up in several places labeled as ‘ash brown’ and ‘cool brown’.  I thought it was right on the edge, that’s why I asked.

 

Posted
On 1/12/2021 at 7:41 AM, Arcadia said:

There IS good news, though ... several of my acquaintances have already gotten the vaccine, or are about to. Hopefully we are finally turning the corner on this thing.

I just got word from my employer yesterday that we will have the opportunity to sign up for the vaccine next week.

 

  • Like 1
Posted

Speaking of hair, I'm growing rapidly more gray along the hairline near my eyebrows.  Basically I'm going to look like the mother in "Poltergeist" pretty soon.
 

032212-Poltergeist-hair.jpg

 

Posted

Artemis, regarding your coat decision:  Have you ever seen a book called Color Me Beautiful?  [Link]  I've found it very helpful.  The basic idea is, you can't really generalize (e.g., redheads shouldn't wear pink) because colors are such a subtle, individual sort of thing.  Most of us know what our best and worst colors are, even though they may not be our favorite colors.  If you're interested, I can tell you how to test yourself -- here if anyone else is interested, or via private message otherwise.

My hair is reverting to what it was when I was little.  I was what they call a "towhead" (where "tow" is another word for flax), meaning my hair was a very pale blond.  It gradually got darker, till it was what the dye boxes call "dark blond" (because it wasn't brown, exactly, it was still the same color, just darker).

They say that "gray" or "silver" or "white" hair is actually still the same color it always was, it's just got so many tiny bubbles in it that it looks paler.  I do notice that when my hair's wet it looks pretty much the same as it did a few years ago.  But when it's dry, the part around my face is a very, very pale blond.  Call it silver if you like!

 

  • Thanks 1
Posted
8 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Most of us know what our best and worst colors are,

That’s the problem, I don’t.  :bemused:  I really can’t tell.  I mean, I know some of the colors I can’t wear, like I said above, but I have no idea what actually looks good on me.  And other people are no help, lol.  Sometimes someone will tell me that what I’m wearing is a bad color for me, and in the same day I’ll get a compliment on how good it looks.  I’ve been called a winter, spring, summer, and fall by different people.  I can’t get any clarity, lol.

I have heard of the book, and I think I even read it a long time ago.  I could take another look.

8 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

I was what they call a "towhead" (where "tow" is another word for flax), meaning my hair was a very pale blond.  It gradually got darker, till it was what the dye boxes call "dark blond" (because it wasn't brown, exactly, it was still the same color, just darker).

My dad was a towhead too.  In some pictures from when I was very young, my hair appeared close to that color.  But in most, it appeared light brown.  So I’m not actually sure whether I have hair that’s truly brown, or a dark variation of blonde.

 

Posted
3 hours ago, Artemis said:

I know some of the colors I can’t wear, like I said above, but I have no idea what actually looks good on me.

OK, let's start with that.  Name as many specific colors as you can think of that you know you can't wear.  That should narrow it down some.

 

Posted
On 1/20/2021 at 9:29 PM, Carol the Dabbler said:

OK, let's start with that.  Name as many specific colors as you can think of that you know you can't wear.  That should narrow it down some.

I can't wear black.  I also can't wear any color that's too dark, like dark evergreen or dark navy.  They overwhelm me.  Navy is generally a nice color on me, I've been told; it just can't be too dark.  I can't wear pure, stark white.  I can't wear any pastels, regardless of color.  I can't wear royal blue.  I can't wear gold (the color, not the metal), dark golden yellow, or mustard.  I can't wear fuchsia.  I can't wear mint, generally.  A few specific shades are okay.  While neither is my best color, army green and olive are wearable as long as they lean more towards a dull/muted green than a yellow/brown.  Same with lime, greener limes are better than yellowy limes.  Light heather gray looks nice on me, medium heather gray does not.

Some other colors I think look nice on me, besides navy, are varying shades of teal/turquoise/aqua (as long as they are not too bright), maroon, and certain shades of green.  There's a particular green that I really like on me a lot, but I don't know the name of it.  I think it might be a kind of Kelly green.

Besides the above, I've been complimented in both cool and warm shades of darker purples.  I get mixed reviews on red; everyone likes it on me, but some people tell me to go with deeper reds, some people say the opposite.  Coral is another; some people love it on me, others say it's too bright.

Once I wore a dress approximately this color of yellow, which I personally was indifferent to, but I got lots of compliments on it:

m_5a0100eff0137dc19d14948e.jpg

I also had a pair of denim jeans that were close to this color, and I got compliments every time I wore them:

61TV8KxAGaL._AC_UY445_.jpg

033331R-FOLDED_600x.jpg?v=1568687739

I had the same style in two other colors and was never complimented in them, so I don't think it was just how they fit me.  I don't know if that helps anything.

That's about all I know... if I remember anything else I'll add to this.

 

Posted
25 minutes ago, besleybean said:

Just wear what you want, guys.

Good advice!  Generally I do, but I'm a bit fashion-blind and sometimes I pick things that raise eyebrows.  Normally I wouldn't care, but this is something I'll be wearing to work where very formal and professional dress is expected of me, and I just want it to look nice.

 

Posted
On 1/20/2021 at 1:52 PM, Artemis said:

Speaking of hair, I'm growing rapidly more gray along the hairline near my eyebrows.  Basically I'm going to look like the mother in "Poltergeist" pretty soon.

I believe I had shared story that I had plenty, plenty of silver hairs during teenager year (it's more shiny and silverish, not greyish, are they the same?). It affected my self-confidence because some meanies boys made fun of that.

Other than that, I think I don't have feminine hands, I have big legs, I have high forehead, all those things made me self aware but I have come to know that my hands are fine, my strong legs are not meant for catwalk but proven to be precious assets in sports and nutty activities that I love, and high forehead means intelligence (said mom who has even higher forehead 😋)

In my uni years, I got even more silver hairs but I had learned to embrace it, in fact, a good friend liked to braid it together for me (they are kind of scattered but she managed) and it actually looked special (I insist!).

Then I lost them during my adult years, they actually turn back into my actual hair color (very dark brown), it's like reversed aging for hair, I have no idea what happened or noticed when it actually happened. Now I have normal hair age, I think, got silvery sprouts here and there but not allocated like yours.

On 1/21/2021 at 2:53 PM, Artemis said:

I can't wear black.  I also can't wear any color that's too dark, like dark evergreen or dark navy.  They overwhelm me.  Navy is generally a nice color on me, I've been told; it just can't be too dark.  I can't wear pure, stark white.  I can't wear any pastels, regardless of color.  I can't wear royal blue.  I can't wear gold (the color, not the metal), golden yellow, or mustard.  I can't wear fuchsia.  I can't wear mint, generally.  A few specific shades are okay.  While neither is my best color, army green and olive are wearable as long as they lean more towards a dull/muted green than a yellow/brown.  Same with lime, greener limes are better than yellowy limes.  Light heather gray looks nice on me, medium heather gray does not.

Actually, those 'can't', why can't, I mean, how reliable stylish are these people who commented on that?

I wore quite a lot of brighter colors back then, now I stick to dark and neutral colors like black, white, army, navy, brown and beige, or jeans when I wear one. But I don't remember thinking whether those bright colors suit me or not, yah, I'm not the best person to ask about style anyway, but I remember developing something in my head; that if I feel confident that day, somehow I think it projects out and raises the level of attractiveness because confidence affect comfort and we are more free to express our energy and 'charm' instead of worrying about appearance. But what I know, maybe I appear as more cheerful than usual so it could annoying on my confident days, but I am those selfish person who doesn't care what they think as long as I feel good. I had spent too much energy to worry about those people when I was young.

P.S. I thought black and white suit everyone, I am serious. Noone looks bad in them?

  • Like 1
Posted
4 minutes ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

(it's more shiny and silverish, not greyish, are they the same?)

Mine are more silvery-white and shiny too, rather than flat gray.  I still call it gray, I don't know if there's a significant distinction.

5 minutes ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

Actually, those 'can't', why can't,

"Can't" basically means they wash me out or don't look well against my skin.

7 minutes ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

P.S. I thought black and white suit everyone, I am serious. Noone looks bad in them?

Nope, that is a widespread myth.

 

Posted

The only thing that I had heard and really agrees with about color with pale lilac doesn't suit redhead.

But then again, I know nothing 😁

Posted

^ I agree, I also like it.

 

Posted
9 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

P.S. I thought black and white suit everyone, I am serious. Noone looks bad in them?

Gawd no, white looks horrible on me. I look like the Pillsbury dough boy in white.  Black suits me, though, as long as it's a cool black.

I actually took one of those "what colors should you wear" courses many, many years ago, and I love it ... it makes shopping for clothes much easier, since I can skip over 3/4 of everything on the racks and go straight to something that has a chance of looking decent on me.

I've always heard that turquoise is the universal color ... but of course, there are many different shades of turquoise. I know that sea-green turquoise looks awful on me, e.g., but dark turquoise is one of my go-to colors.

Now if I could just find clothes that fit me properly...........

  • Like 2
Posted

Preach, sister. I'm afraid I will need some new clothes after the whole "home office with direct access to the fridge" period - even if I tend to buy things with "a bit extra" allowance. If you are a "broccoli body type" it's so annoying. I wear garters for years now, otherwise I would fall over my trousers slipping down.

  • Haha 1
Posted
On 1/21/2021 at 1:27 AM, besleybean said:

People have colours?

Just wear what you want, guys.

It's not like somebody passed a law or anything.  It's just that, like Arcadia said, each person has certain colors that look best on them.  I'm basically a no-nonsense type when it comes to my appearance -- I haven't worn makeup since I was in my 20s, and I don't fuss with my hair (other than to wash it, comb it, and get it cut once a month).  But I've always loved colors, and my life has become a whole lot easier since I started buying only "summer" colors, which look best on me.

Trust me, if I really wanted to wear some other colors, I would.  But I don't like the way they make me look, so I don't really want to wear them.  I've always loved "autumn" colors (rust, avocado, etc.), so I married Alex -- he looks terrific in them.

On 1/21/2021 at 1:53 AM, Artemis said:

I can't wear black.  I also can't wear any color that's too dark, like dark evergreen or dark navy.  They overwhelm me.  Navy is generally a nice color on me, I've been told; it just can't be too dark.  I can't wear pure, stark white.  I can't wear any pastels, regardless of color.

Try to ignore what other people have told you -- as you say, they don't even agree with each other.  Just tell us what colors you think you look best / worse in.  So far, I'd say you're not a Winter -- they look best in black, white, and bold primary colors.

What do you mean by "pastels?"  Do you mean anything lighter than medium, or do you mean super pale colors?

How do you look in chartreuse?

On 1/22/2021 at 10:58 PM, Van Buren Supernova said:

I had plenty, plenty of silver hairs during teenager year (it's more shiny and silverish, not greyish, are they the same?).

Some people lump all of those hair colors together, which makes no sense to me, because if they were talking about colors of paint, they'd make a distinction between silver, gray, and white.  Of course it's sometimes easier to refer all those hair colors by one name or another, if you're talking about people in general.  But for a specific person, it makes sense to use the specific color.

On 1/22/2021 at 10:58 PM, Van Buren Supernova said:

In my uni years, I got even more silver hairs but I had learned to embrace it, in fact, a good friend liked to braid it together for me (they are kind of scattered but she managed) and it actually looked special (I insist!).

I used to do that too!  The only silver hairs I had then were the little clump in front of each ear, so when I did my "fancy" hair style (everything loose except a small braid on each side), I used the silver hairs as one strand of each braid.  Dunno if anyone else ever noticed, but I thought it looked pretty cool!

On 1/22/2021 at 10:58 PM, Van Buren Supernova said:

I thought black and white suit everyone, I am serious. Noone looks bad in them?

I used to think that, because "everybody" says so (presumably the same people who claim that white goes with everything) -- but I look horrible in them, all washed out, and apparently Artemis does too.

On 1/23/2021 at 1:19 AM, besleybean said:

Oh I think red hair is lovely with lilac.

It depends on the shade of red hair (and perhaps also on the shade of lilac).  "They" always used to say that redheads shouldn't wear pink, but my mother had auburn hair and looked great in pink, as long as it was toward the lilac side.  Wearing coral-pink made her look ill, though.

On 1/23/2021 at 8:38 AM, Arcadia said:

it makes shopping for clothes much easier, since I can skip over 3/4 of everything on the racks and go straight to something that has a chance of looking decent on me.

I agree!  Being a "summer," I can just skip all the black and khaki pants and go straight for the blue.  You say you look good in "cool black," though -- I thought black was black.  Do you mean a bluish black?  (I look good in bluish gray.)

On 1/23/2021 at 8:38 AM, Arcadia said:

I've always heard that turquoise is the universal color ... but of course, there are many different shades of turquoise. I know that sea-green turquoise looks awful on me, e.g., but dark turquoise is one of my go-to colors.

Here's what Carole Jackson says in Color Me Beautiful:  "Everyone can wear Summer's soft white (this is not a yellow-white). Other good colors for a group are Spring's corals and her light warm aqua, Autumn's deep periwinkle blue, and Summer's watermelon. These colors are not included in all the palettes, how- ever, because they are a compromise for some."  The book's light warm aqua color sample looks to me like a light-ish (closer to medium than to pale) blue-ish green.  As she says, these colors are going to be a compromise for some people -- coral doesn't look good on me, but there are worse colors.  Best to stick with your own colors whenever possible.

On 1/23/2021 at 10:18 AM, J.P. said:

I wear garters for years now, otherwise I would fall over my trousers slipping down.

I was reading that with my American eyes, till I got to the trousers part.  Over here, one's trousers (which we call pants) are held up by suspenders, while garters hold up one's stockings.  Anyhow, I think suspenders are cool!  I've seen some really nice colors and patterns, too.

 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 189 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of UseWe have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.Privacy PolicyGuidelines.