What would you like to see in series 4?

T.o.b.y

I love the part in "The Gloria Scott" where

Trevor senior passes out and falls face flat into a bowl of walnuts, as a shock reaction to Holmes telling him the truth about himself in the presence of his son.

I wish they'd show that on "Sherlock"! Or use it in some other context.

I don't think anyone would ever take John's place. Sherlock loves him. (You don't have to be a Johnlock shipper to see that!). When Moriarty threatens the people he cares about, the first word out of Sherlock's mouth is "John!" When he returns from exile, he is preoccupied by thoughts of John. He runs into a fire to save him, and throws away his liberty to keep John's family safe. John is clearly the most important person in Sherlock's life.

I abhor the "lock thing", but even I totally agree with you there. Completely. If they tried to tell us that was all fake (for some absurd reason), I'd stop watching. Oh god, the fire. Oh my god. That was pretty heart-wrenching, wasn't it.

I really like that aspect of Sherlock, and I wouldn't want it to change, ever. I don't need "the boys" to be joined at the hip, and John is welcome to have a wife and family in my eyes, but he must retain his place in Sherlock's heart (or whatever Sherlock Holmes might have instead).

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I keep reading how the creators have allegedly said they want more female characters. Hm, if so, I hope they won't be more love interests for Sherlock. Please, can't we just let the woman be The woman and leave it at that?

What I would like, though, is to see more of Mrs Holmes. She seems like a very promising character.

• Like 2

What I would like, though, is to see more of Mrs Holmes. She seems like a very promising character.

They certainly have....seeing how she is a genius, could have been professor of mathematics and wrote a book with the title using the word "Dynamics".

• Like 1

I can't see that they'd go to all the bother of creating such an interesting character and then go nowhere with her.  We'll surely see more of her.  But be careful what you wish for -- as Fox hints, she may turn out to be the real Moriarty!  (And I'm only half joking there.)

But be careful what you wish for -- as Fox hints, she may turn out to be the real Moriarty!  (And I'm only half joking there.)

Boy didn't that set the ol' mental wheel whirring when the title of that book hit the screen....wow.

I hope to see more of Janine too.  After I got over hating her, I now like her.  And yes, I think she and Sherlock could be good friends.

Funny, I had to get over hating her too! Friends: yeah, I'd be okay with that. Lovers? No way. She's just... not in his league. Sorry, Janine, but the original housemaid was no further removed from the great Mr Holmes than you are in my humble opinion.

• Like 2

Funny, I had to get over hating her too! Friends: yeah, I'd be okay with that. Lovers? No way. She's just... not in his league.

... and he's not exactly in her league, either!  ;)  (Can't imagine him keeping up with her in a social setting.)

Near as I recall, I was a bit bewildered by her in the first few scenes, but got to love her by the end of the episode.

• Like 2

I wonder how long it will take me to stop hating Janine. The only scene where I can stand her is the one in the hospital.

I don't feel bad about Janine at all. I can't see that she's done anything wrong. I mean no she didn't dance with Sherlock at the reception and I was kind of miffed at her for that, but it's kind of Sherlock's own fault, he did pick that geek out to her and she did tell him in the hospital that her revenge wasn't over yet. So really....either she is really good at carrying grudges....or she really does like Sherlock, a lot. But no, they will never be a couple, couple. They bounce off each other to much.

• Like 1

I wonder how long it will take me to stop hating Janine. The only scene where I can stand her is the one in the hospital.

Well, do you have any idea why you hate her?  Or what do you mean by "hate" -- she gives you the creeps, you find her annoying, you think she treats people unfairly, or what?

Do you know any real people who remind you of Janine?

Well, it's hard for me to explain that. She seemed vulgar, annoying and way out of Sherlock's league. I don't really know why I don't like her though (I admit "hate" is a bit strong word). She didn't do anything bad, on the contrary what Sherlock did to her was really brutal and appalling but I can't stop to like him. My brain is weird, I know.

• Like 1

Personally, I like Janine.  She's outgoing and lively and not unattractive.  I can actually see her having a laugh with Sherlock every now and again ... assuming he's in the mood and she's not working for any arch-criminals.  I don't think I'd want to see her in every episode but she doesn't bother me.

And ... didn't Mrs. Holmes book have something to do with the Dynamics of Combustion ?  Or did I just make that up ?  I'm unclear.  Moriarty liked to blow things up.  Wouldn't it be amazing if Mr. Holmes was the ultimate criminal mastermind ?  He was the one that Mary called "sane" ... so maybe he's not so much ... maybe the rest of the family was driven to be the way they are by his artful manipulations. :wacko:  We could watch those manipulations unfold in S4. :D

Debbie

• Like 1

And ... didn't Mrs. Holmes book have something to do with the Dynamics of Combustion ?  Or did I just make that up ?  I'm unclear.  Moriarty liked to blow things up.  Wouldn't it be amazing if Mr. Holmes was the ultimate criminal mastermind ?  He was the one that Mary called "sane" ... so maybe he's not so much ... maybe the rest of the family was driven to be the way they are by his artful manipulations. :wacko:  We could watch those manipulations unfold in S4. :D

Mrs. Holmes's book was "The Dynamics of Mathematics" while the canonical Professor Moriarty wrote "The Dynamics of an Asteroid".

When watching that scene between Daddy Holmes and Mary and she goes:  Oh! You're the sane one and he looks at her quite pointedly and says: "Aren't you?"  my internal ears perked up and it's like.....uhoh....there is something really borderline creepy going on here. Can't explain it exactly but some kind of warning bell went off.

• Like 2

Mrs. Holmes's book was "The Dynamics of Mathematics" while the canonical Professor Moriarty wrote "The Dynamics of an Asteroid".

Hmmm ... don't know where I came up with "combustion" ... .  Anyway, did they say just what Mr. Holmes did ?   Since Mrs. is a mathemetician and Sherlock is a graduated chemist, according to Molly, and Mycroft is the British Government ... apart from being sane, what is Mr. Holmes ?  His story might be interesting.

Debbie

• Like 1

apart from being sane, what is Mr. Holmes ?  His story might be interesting.

I don't think anything was said specifically about Daddy Holmes and what he did.

If he's "the sane one" they way Mary Watson is, his story might be very interesting...

You people, I love the way your minds work!

• Like 1

I am a bit skeptical about bringing in even more new characters, especially ones that have no precedent in the original. I mean, of course they'll need clients, but aside from those, I'd rather like the series to stick with and expand what it has. So where the third brother is concerned, I'd rather he either did not show up at all or he'd turn out to be somebody we already know (like Moriarty). Or he could be dead. Would be nice if somebody was truly dead for a change.

I especially don't want anybody else who is like Sherlock. We already have enough of that with Mycroft and Mary and Moriarty and Irene Adler. Sherlock should be unique. And I watch the series for him, primarily, not for all his friends and relations. (Well, John is important, too, of course, and I do love Mrs Hudson and Molly and Lestrade and now Mary as well).

The only person I'd be really interested to meet who hasn't shown up yet is Harry Watson. If they do want more women on this series, I think they should really give her some screen time.

• Like 7

I am hoping for a dead brother (or sister) too but I feel weird saying that. :D

There is some highly improbable speculation that "the other one" could be played by Tom Hiddlestone. I could live with that! A fine actor....and cute too. :)

Benedict Cumberbatch facing off against Tom Hiddleston in Sherlock? That would take some fans' reactions from figurative swooning to literal swooning, I guess :smile:. But alas, I doubt it - I remember Moftiss stating that they preferred casting up-and-coming actors to those already in the limelight. Hence the remarkably low number of guest stars, and allegedly that's not for lack of interest.

I agree with Moftiss on that.  Apparently Russell Tovey (who played Henry Knight in "Hounds") is fairly well known in the UK, as is the actress who played the "Oh -- my -- God!" gal in "Empty Hearse.  But I'd never encountered either of them before, which I think makes it easier to see them as their Sherlock characters.  (Plus we've already got two huge stars in the show!)

I'm pretty sure the only person in the Sherlock cast that I'd ever encountered before at all is Wanda Ventham (who plays Mummy Holmes).  She was in just about all the British productions that I watched back in the 60's and 70's (e.g., Doctor Who, The Avengers, The Prisoner).

• Like 1