Schlauer Fuchs

Your favourite television series

We've got a thread for favourite movies, so why not also have a thread on your favourite series? Or the series you are currently watching?

My latest project in this area is of course Sherlock *surprise*, but I also love Downton Abbey and am desperately unhappy that I can't watch series 5 in German television (it airs now in the UK). Then I'm fond of Pride and Prejudice (with C. Firth/ J. Ehle) - Mr Darcy's craving looks are so great. I also like Merlin, it's a bit childish and amateurish at times, but still enjoyable. Now a friend gave me Lost and I'm halfway through the first series; I think it's nice-ish but it doesn't knock my socks off. When it comes to comedy, I like the  Simpsons and Seinfeld (though I know only the first 2 series of that).

The next thing I'll try is Dr Who, I ordered a box with the new series 1-4, should be here in a few days time... :)

So what about you - can you recommend any great series?

I still go for Scooby-Doo and even my son likes the show.  I also go for Looney Tunes.  As for more grown-up series (not including Sherlock because that goes without saying), it's a few US reality shows: 19 Kids & Counting and Mythbusters.

• Like 1

I love Doctor Who, but only the New Who episodes before Matt Smith. Sure, Matt Smith's Doctor is cool, and Moffat sure loves making us cry (*coughcough*Doomsday*coughcough*), but there's quite a bit of sexism present in S5-7 that offends the feminist in me.

I also very deeply love Sherlock (obvious), although I think we need more equal rep. Give the women of Sherlock bigger roles! Give 'em the spotlight, for Christ's sake! It can't just be about the boys!

Merlin's great, too, in my opinion. Even though it gets super-duper ridiculous sometimes. I'm midway through S3 of it, and my god, Merlin and Arthur are such goofballs. :P

And those there are my main fandoms. :D

• Like 1

Hmmm... I'm not really a series person. I love Sherlock, among many other reasons, of course, because it is more like a string of movies than a TV series.

I really like the original BBC version of The Office, with Ricky Gervais and Martin Freeman (that was the first thing I ever saw Mr Freeman in, and I know he's often said he's a bit tired of being thought of as "Tim", but to be fair, there is a reason for that - he was just so damn good in that role and the character is terribly lovable).

If miniseries count, than I think next to Sherlock, Parades End is my favorite. It is simply beautiful.

I just started watching the 1995 Pride and Prejudice, and I'm surprised at how well I like it.

I like quite a few older British comedy series, first and foremost Yes Minister. That one is brilliant.

I've just realized: All of the above are BBC productions. Thank you, BBC!

• Like 1

I enjoyed Parade's End as well.  I find it interesting that Benedict has played a character (at least 3 times from what I've seen) where he is married to a women who is not faithful & is willing to be a dad to the child even if the child is not his.  It shows what a good man/husband can be like.  I respect his work all the more for that.

I really like the original BBC version of The Office, with Ricky Gervais and Martin Freeman (that was the first thing I ever saw Mr Freeman in, and I know he's often said he's a bit tired of being thought of as "Tim", but to be fair, there is a reason for that - he was just so damn good in that role and the character is terribly lovable).

Oh God, yes!

If miniseries count, than I think next to Sherlock, Parades End is my favorite. It is simply beautiful.

That just decided what my next amazon parcel will contain, thank you for the tip-off :D

btw, I forgot NCIS, love that series, too - though since I know Sherlock I somehow miss the pace in it.

That just decided what my next amazon parcel will contain, thank you for the tip-off :D

You might want to check out a few clips on youtube, first, just to get an impression. Aside from a few other users on this forum, I know nobody except myself who likes it. It's an adaptation of an expressionistic novel, so it's not 100% realistic. That bothers some people. Others think it's too intellectual. Others think it's boring. My father calls it sentimental. My mother thinks it's "annoying", and she has no use for my beloved Mr Tietjens at all (but this woman also thinks A Scandal in Belgravia is "silly", so...).

But I unashamedly love it. It's exactly my cup of tea. Only be warned and have a look at it first before you spend money on it...

I love many series, mostly British ones but there are a few American series that I like very much.

I won't mention Sherlock because that's quite obvious:)

Doctor Who - currently watching the Third Doctor. I just couldn't start watching something without knowing how it all began. The stories are sometimes a bit weaker but I just love the main character so much that I can easily overlook all the plot holes or boring bits.

Vicious - this one is simply hilarious. Seeing Sir Ian McKellen and Derek Jacobi as an old gay couple is just priceless.

Sherlock Holmes with Jeremy Brett - ah Jeremy... no other words needed.

The Big Bang Theory

Dexter

Bones - one of the series that I loved in the beginning but after the two main characters became a couple it became quite boring. Still watching it though but I hope it ends soon.

Yes Minister and Yes Prime Minister - old British series but very funny. Loved it.

I can't think of anything that's currently on that I make an effort to watch, except I will watch "Who's Line Is It, Anyway" anytime I stumble across it. :D

Ummmmm.....

Buffy the Vampire Slayer, of course. If I were to be stranded on a desert island and could only have one series to watch, it might be Buffy.

Firefly

Babylon 5

Dr. Who

Star Trek (the original, but I also rather liked Voyager)

FullMetal Alchemist (the first one, not the "Brotherhood" one)

Escaflowne

Inu-Yasha, although it went on far, far too long.

12 O'Clock High

High Chapparal

Earth 2 (cut short in its prime, alas)

The Andy Griffith Show

The Dick Van Dyke Show

WKRP in Cincinnati

Roar (beautiful Heath Ledger, why why did you leave us...)

Inspector Morse

Highlander (at least the first few seasons)

Lost (again, the first 2-3 seasons)

Columbo

I want to like Agents of SHIELD, but it's on the same night I usually teach and I've only seen bits and pieces of it, not enough to really get into it. So far the acting isn't jelling with me.

A really random list! I'm sure there's hundreds more, but these are what float to the top. Ignore everything but the first few and the last one, the rest are ancient history!!!

• Like 1

So many 

There are those that are no longer on the tele

Frasier 

Kingdom

Absolute Power

Brideshead Revisited

Pride and Prejudice (1993)

The Vicar of Dibley

Blackadder

Black Books

I Love Lucy

and then there are those that are still on the air

Doctor Who (I love Number 12)

Miss FIsher's Murder Mysterys   (Australian murder mystery show set in the 1920s)

Sherlock (of course)

The Big Bang Theory 

Like some other people here, I don't watch much that's currently on TV, mostly DVDs of older shows (in fact, a few of my favorite shows I never saw when they were broadcast, only on DVD).  So, in addition to Sherlock, here's a random sampling in no particular order:

Magnum, P.I.

The Rockford Files

The Dresden Files

Star Trek (original series and some spin-offs)

Maverick (the Bret episodes)

Kaz

Tenspeed and Brown Shoe

Leverage

Frasier

the Grenada Sherlock Holmes series (with Jeremy Brett)

The Office (British original)

• Like 1

Sherlock is my favorite. Then:

North and South. Happens to have a wonderful male-male friendship at the heart of it, just like a certain other series we all love.

Pride and Prejudice

To the Ends of the Earth

Around the World in 80 Days

Jane Eyre

Those are all mini-series. I prefer them to long, dragged out series with many episodes. I like Bones, but it's been going on for too long. I haven't even watched the 8th series of that show.

You might want to check out a few clips on youtube, first, just to get an impression. Aside from a few other users on this forum, I know nobody except myself who likes it. It's an adaptation of an expressionistic novel, so it's not 100% realistic. That bothers some people. Others think it's too intellectual. Others think it's boring. My father calls it sentimental. My mother thinks it's "annoying", and she has no use for my beloved Mr Tietjens at all (but this woman also thinks A Scandal in Belgravia is "silly", so...).

But I unashamedly love it. It's exactly my cup of tea. Only be warned and have a look at it first before you spend money on it...

I had a look at some trailers on youtube and really liked them. Of course there is still some chance I won't like it in the end, but I'll definitely give it a try. It's even more tempting since it's set at the time of Downton Abbey :)

Oh, Boton's introduction thread reminded me that I forgot another series I like: House, might actually be the first series I ever bought on DVD.

Max Headroom!

• Like 1

Oh, I loved that show!  Not sure how long it could have gone on, since it was so incredibly quirky (somewhat like The Prisoner in that regard, I guess), but I loved it at the time.

I loved The Prisoner too. I used to have SUCH a crush on McGoohan (altho possibly due more to the Scarecrow of Romney Marsh than the secret agent stuff).

Yeah, Max did start to run down a bit towards the end. They should have done 3 episodes every two years, it would have lasted longer. :)

Yup, definitely enjoyed The Scarecrow!  Not sure I ever had a major crush on McGoohan, but my brother and I both got a huge kick out of the shenanigans.

Has anyone been watching the new series Gotham?  It has only shown 2 episodes so far but I think it has the potential to be really good.  I have a crush on the Penguin.  Not sure I'm supposed to.

I am also another Downton Abbey lover, but I am a bit behind.  Watching it on Netflix and currently just starting Season 3.  I seem to have missed a lot of shows that people rave about but I am on a mission to catch up. 

I tried to watch - the description sounded promising - and set off a bit of a kerfuffle when I declared it too violent. I changed the channel after the opening sequence, I'm afraid. Hope it got better after that, but they've already lost me.

I watched "Forever" again; it appears to be a spin on "House", but it's okay.

Mine are:

Sherlock

Star Trek

The Prisoner

The Avengers

Remington Steele

Magnum, PI

The Rockford Files

Columbo

The Granada Sherlock Holmes series

Leverage

The Office

Frasier

Friends

We agree on only seven out of twelve -- can this marriage be saved?!  :o

• Like 1

Has any of you ever seen Breaking Bad? I heard someone we all know mention it in an interview yesterday, and the basic idea/storyline sounds really interesting. But the DVD cover discourages me, it looks cheap to me.

I never watched the show.  It never interested me.  A Chemistry teacher turned drug kingpin is not really my thing even thought the story line is somewhat compelling.  The clips I have seen of the show make it look like it's well done otherwise.  AMC has created some fairly high quality looking shows that were not my thing for various reasons.

• Like 1

I never saw Breaking Bad, either, but I've never heard anyone who has seen it say anything bad about it.

• Like 2