Who Is Your Favourite Main Character?

Undead Medic

Who is your favorite main character?  

141 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favourite main character?

• Sherlock Holmes
    • Dr. John H. Watson
    • Mrs. Hudson
    • DI. Greg Lestrade
    • Jim Moriarty
    • Irene Adler
    • Molly Hooper
    • Mycroft Holmes
    • Sgt. Sally Donovan
    • Janine
    • Eurus Holmes

I rest my case. ;)

Can't decide? That's understandable... I couldn't if Sherlock weren't Sherlock. Finally a series where I like the main character the best - that hardly ever happens to me otherwise!

I mean, it's pretty obvious by my avatar! :D

I've only just realized that I haven't voted in this poll yet! It's definitely going to be Sherlock :sherlock2:  for me as well.

• Like 1

Mycroft, in the Jeremy Brett series.

Myers

Yes, it's the actor Charles Gray.

I love this scene. Just look at Watson's face!  :D 

• Like 1

Well, it's definitely this guy for me :sherlock2:    I identify with him as I'm not a 'people' person and tend to retain strange trivial facts (no tobacco ash yet)  And I have a soft spot for  :molly:

• 3 weeks later...

Mycroft, in the Jeremy Brett series.

Myers

Yes, it's the actor Charles Gray.
I love this scene. Just look at Watson's face! :D
I absolutely love that scene when Watson meets Mycroft - such cuteness! :wub:

• 3 weeks later...

I'm torn between Moriarty and Lestrade. But I think due to how amazing I find the episodes with Moriarty in it's gotta be him.

And of course, his fantastic suit

I'm torn between Moriarty and Lestrade. But I think due to how amazing I find the episodes with Moriarty in it's gotta be him.

And of course, his fantastic suit

The suit is fantastic. He certainly has style! :D

• 4 weeks later...

Oh man!

If the list did not have Moriarty, I'd surely go for Watson.

But since he is there, I cannot deny the fact that he took the episodes he was in to a whole new level. He is the most interesting and entertaining chracter.

And in honesty, I would still hesitate to vote Watson the second. It really is the Watson-Holmes combo which I find so adorable about this show, rather than them individually!

t really is the Watson-Holmes combo which I find so adorable about this show, rather than them individually!

Which is the way it's supposed to be, in my point of view.  It really would be almost impossible to try to visualize Holmes without Watson and the reverse. I know there were a couple of stories in the canon at the very end that didn't have Watson.....but they are not my favorites.

t really is the Watson-Holmes combo which I find so adorable about this show, rather than them individually!

Which is the way it's supposed to be, in my point of view.  It really would be almost impossible to try to visualize Holmes without Watson and the reverse. I know there were a couple of stories in the canon at the very end that didn't have Watson.....but they are not my favorites.

They weren't Holmes favorites, either, it seems. I love how in one of them, where he is forced to be his own narrator, he complains that he finds it hard to tell a story and how Watson could do this much better. And this after he had criticized and ridiculed his writing for years.

• Like 1

he complains that he finds it hard to tell a story and how Watson could do this much better. And this after he had criticized and ridiculed his writing for years.

Yup, Holmes forced to eat crow.

Not a main character (or is it?) -- but I love the character of London! So much of the first two seasons, especially, seemed an homage to that great, historic city. And as a bonus, I actually met London once. :D  But I was way too young for it, alas.....

• Like 1

Oh, I think London is very much a part of the stories. Yes, Holmes and Watson make forages into the surrounding country side, but London is very much Sherlock Holmes's "City". He knows every back street and mist filled alleyway. Every twist, every turn, every roof top by way. We see it though Holmes's eyes and we grow to love it, even if we never get to lay eyes on it ourselves. There are books written that take you through the same streets and buildings where Holmes himself walked.

Yes, for me London is definitely one of the main characters of this show :)

• Like 1

But I think I read on wiki or somewhere that what is shown as London in the series is actually Cardiff and Wales, for the most part. Is that false then?

Well, they filmed the interiors in Cardiff but the exteriors were filmed in London :)

Carol the Dabbler has a thread where she posted pictures of North Gower Street, London being turned into Baker Street, London. If you surf Youtube you can find many videos from fans attending filming crowds. And yes, all of those are really London. The Empty Hearse mentions the London tube and abandoned stations. Those really do exist and there is a few posts here highlighting them and London's plan for restoring some for public venues and tourist attractions.

• 2 weeks later...

But I think I read on wiki or somewhere that what is shown as London in the series is actually Cardiff and Wales, for the most part. Is that false then?

As Fox said, the interiors of #221 are filmed in a studio in Cardiff.  Some of the other locations (both interior and exterior) are also in and around the Cardiff / Bristol area.

But some really are in London -- most famously, North Gower Street doubling (with a little help) for Baker Street.  The exteriors at Bart's (such as in "Reichenbach") are shot at the real Bart's -- it's a moving and even spine-chilling experience to follow John's footsteps there.  Sherlockology lists the actual addresses of most locations, many of which are in London.

• Like 1

Here is what BC says about London in reference to a question he was asked in a recent interview.

How much did you feel that come the third series the city of London had almost become a character?
Series-3.jpg
I think it always has been. I think very much more that it became a sort of corporal entity with veins and the kind of flow of vice through it, through the underground network like a kind of capillary network like a lung or a tree it became more organic and more part of the show. It became its body. We went underground with it and we’ve been high and on buildings and falling off buildings and out on the streets and shooting at night a lot. The night belongs to Sherlock as well. That’s the other thing. I really do get that sense when I’m running around in a taxi or on my motorbike or getting on the tube at night. It’s a very nocturnal city in our show and with this character so it’s great. It’s been my home for all my life and it always will be so the fact that it’s at the core of a drama that was set in Victorian London and every bit of fog, every Hansom cab, every Bobby, every bit of spooky silhouette in a gaslight, every iconic location as well as dump or garage or hideaway or horrible dank sweaty cellar and the sort of underbelly of it as well as the iconic and I think we have reinvigorated that in a modern sense and I think it works. It just works because it’s still that marriage the city, the city scape itself is that perfect marriage between old and new. That’s what’s so extraordinary about it. You’re surrounded by thousands of years worth of history as well as something that was shoved up in no time last week. Like the Shard. No I’m joking.

• Like 5

Also, Moftiss said on one of the DVDs (Series 1?) that they had deliberately made London a character in the program, that they had "fetishized" the city.  (Whatever that means in this context!)