Sherlock's Heart

Arcadia

While Sherlock first impression is heartless, he is a character with the most 'heartfelt' imho, and we were shown on so many occasions from all those scenes you all have described.

I think that's what make him difficult to read. He can be cold, calculating, ignorant and careless. He can also be emotional, hurt and affectionate in his own way.

"He is Sherlock Holmes..who knows what is inside that funny little head?" :hudson:

• Like 4

The more I think about it, the funnier it gets ... Sherlock pops out of cake, John faints, Mary helps herself to a strawberry.

• Like 6

3.) The nervous breakdown in The Hounds of Baskerville. Sherlock had nothing to gain by that, so it's probably genuine. Also the apology to John in the graveyard afterwards is the only one of his, by this time several, apologies to his friend that strikes me as really sincere.

This might be the only one scene in the whole show when you see a sincere Sherlock interacting with others.

Because:

4.) The scene in The Reichenbach Fall where Sherlock goes to Molly and asks her if she would still want to help him if he wasn't who she thought he was.

...this can still be a part of manipulation.

7.) Basically all of The Sign of Three. There are so many moments in that episode where Sherlock either shows feeling when he is alone or where he has no obvious manipulative goal. It shows him at his most human and vulnerable. He's a fish out of water for most of those 90 min, and it really shows the price you pay for being extraordinary.

... and involved.

Oh, the moment on the wedding morning, after he practically throws out Mrs Hudson. The little muscle twitch on his jaw, just before he looks at John's chair...

8.) The mind palace sequence in His Last Vow. Most of it is Sherlock trying to be rational and save himself with reason, but in the end he survives by just willpower - and love. As corny as it sounds, that's what it basically boils down to.

Might be the only case when caring was an advantage - of course if you don't share his inner Jim's opinion, Sherlock would be better off dead.

I wouldn't trust him further than I can spit. But I still think he's a wonderful character...

From a distance of a screen. :P

Seriously, he HAS to be a wonderful character. We identify with him after all.

Actually laughing right now about strawberry cheesecake.

7) When Mrs. Hudson walks in on him, I feel like that was meant to be the scene where she walks in on the two of them dancing lol I think a little too much heart was shown in TSoT but that's just me. I would've done it with less pathetic fallacy..

8)That reminds me how weird I feel about the fact that Mary could have really killed him, and John still forgave her. Oddities indeed. But Sherlock is indestructible I suppose. Unless he's not. Why do I have a sudden craving for Sherlock to be dead in the end? 

Sherlock might be better off dead, maybe.. but then again, might we all? It's contentious. and existential. I'll not to go there.

He is relateable, isn't he? idk why....

"I'm bored." when he says that, I'm like yes! me too!

That's something else that puzzles me; some of Sherlock's deductions rely on a rather keen understanding of human nature! And he seems to see through John pretty well at times. ("Oh, you're angry with me, so you won't help.") Maybe ... he understands what the human reactions ARE, but not always why they happen? Hmmmm.....

The scientist part I could understand, but the philosopher part... never quite believed that one.  However, I do believe Sherlock has studied human nature and psychology extensively.  He definitely understands and reads body language as he can always tell when someone is lying to him.

I would almost think that philosophy is too introspective for him.  It's a bit slow for someone who thrives on the adrenaline rush of being in action.

• Like 1

This might be the only one scene in the whole show when you see a sincere Sherlock interacting with others.

Because:

4.) The scene in The Reichenbach Fall where Sherlock goes to Molly and asks her if she would still want to help him if he wasn't who she thought he was.

...this can still be a part of manipulation.

Alas, that is my fear as well. That's the problem with establishing that your main character is a master manipulator; it's like the boy who cried wolf, eventually no one believes you even when you're being sincere. (Are you listening, Moftiss? :smile: )

Still, going by his behavior in S3, I think Sherlock was being sincere in TRF. I say that because he had nothing to gain by manipulating Molly in S3. Well, her continued good will; but he already had that.

8.) The mind palace sequence in His Last Vow. Most of it is Sherlock trying to be rational and save himself with reason, but in the end he survives by just willpower - and love. As corny as it sounds, that's what it basically boils down to.

Might be the only case when caring was an advantage - of course if you don't share his inner Jim's opinion, Sherlock would be better off dead.

Hmmmm... yeh! That's rather neat, in a twisted, Moftissy sort of way. "Yay, Sherlock cares! Look, it means he's got friends! Ooops, uh oh, caring has led to a serious injury. No, wait, look, caring is saving his life. Oh no, not much cop this caring lark, now he's being sent into exile.....

Why do I have a sudden craving for Sherlock to be dead in the end?

Nooooooooooooo!!!!! :cry: :cry:

The scientist part I could understand, but the philosopher part... never quite believed that one.  However, I do believe Sherlock has studied human nature and psychology extensively.  He definitely understands and reads body language as he can always tell when someone is lying to him.

I would almost think that philosophy is too introspective for him.  It's a bit slow for someone who thrives on the adrenaline rush of being in action.

Oh, but philosophy can be quite intellectually stimulating. You're dealing with paradoxes, free will, metaphysics and all those other lovely multi-syllabic concepts. And it's not necessarily introspective; it's more a study of mankind in general than of yourself. (Or can be; Sherlock IS rather fascinated by himself... :smile: )

Still, he does have a practical bent, maybe you're right; if he can't put the knowledge to use, he's not interested. (?) (The lazy twit.)

• Like 2

>> I say that because he had nothing to gain by

manipulating Molly in S3. Well, her continued good will; but he already had that.

Insurance, better dig his claws deeper when the opportunity arise ;) *runs away, laughing evilly*

• Like 1

manipulating Molly in S3. Well, her continued good will; but he already had that.

Insurance, better dig his claws deeper when the opportunity arise ;) *runs away, laughing evilly*

You again!!! :axe:

:D

• Like 3

I think the most telling moment must be shooting Magnussen.

We have the canon Holmes comment -that if he had ever loved he would have done the same- when describing a revenge murder and BBC Sherlocks -love is a much more viscious motivator-comment.

Also amusingly - does anyone remember the unaired pilots comment on killers wanting to be caught ...." To us it's an arrest to them it's a coming out party"

• Like 4

Agreed. I still think that's the moment his heart overruled his head.

And yes, I remember ... but am hoping that doesn't apply to Sherlock.....

You again!!! :axe:

:D

I am the chief defender of The Pragmatic Sherlock Association, te he heeee.... :D
  • Like 1

If Sherlock was just manipulating Molly in that scene in TRF then I hope she puts it together and drop kicks him in series 4.  

Team Molly!

• Like 2

Yes, and I will help her. Go Team Molly!

• Like 2

I've always seen Sherlock as more of an antihero; I think he did grow up to be a pirate of sorts. He does whatever he feels is necessary with little to no regard for law, has no problem stealing from people who care about him and is manipulative and an excellent liar. I also think he is a huge romantic.

Reading others' interpretations of Sherlock's character is so fascinating. I wonder how much of ourselves we put into our interpretations?

• Like 3

Reading others' interpretations of Sherlock's character is so fascinating. I wonder how much of ourselves we put into our interpretations?

Are you saying you're a manipulative, lying pirate? :p

That's a really good question, actually. I know I see a lot of myself reflected in Sherlock. But there's also a lot of him I don't relate to. But it doesn't stop me from thinking I've got him figured out! (Except when I don't... :) But I don't understand myself sometimes, either......)

• Like 2

I don't really relate to Sherlock all that much.  I find him utterly fascinating and I like him very much, flaws and all, but Molly is really the only character I feel like I can relate to, that I see any similarities to myself in.  Which is hilarious, given that all quizzes tell my I'm Mrs. Hudson.   :hudson:

• Like 1

Are you saying you're a manipulative, lying pirate? :p

That's a really good question, actually. I know I see a lot of myself reflected in Sherlock. But there's also a lot of him I don't relate to. But it doesn't stop me from thinking I've got him figured out! (Except when I don't... :) But I don't understand myself sometimes, either......)

Maaaaybe. Haha! I don't necessarily think we see ourselves in Sherlock; maybe more that we see him in relation to ourselves? I see the world through pretty cynical glasses, therefore I see Sherlock through those same cynical lenses.

• Like 1

I've always seen Sherlock as more of an antihero; I think he did grow up to be a pirate of sorts. He does whatever he feels is necessary with little to no regard for law, has no problem stealing from people who care about him and is manipulative and an excellent liar. I also think he is a huge romantic.

A pinch, and make sure to take it with a handful of salt because there're times outrageous statements are made for different goal than writing what we really think about a character :p

• Like 3

I am very much looking forward to reading the ACD canon.  I'm curious how much the BC version of Sherlock resembles canon.

A pinch, and make sure to take it with a handful of salt because there're times outrageous statements are made for different goal than writing what we really think about a character :P

What?!?!?! No!! Never!!! We are all as pure as spun gold! :p

I am very much looking forward to reading the ACD canon.  I'm curious how much the BC version of Sherlock resembles canon.

I'll be curious to hear your thoughts, because I don't think he resembles him all that much. The dry wit is similar, but our Sherlock is a much more exotic creature than the ACD Sherlock, if you ask me.

• Like 1

Now I just need to get off the internet long enough to read the stories.  :P  Ugh.

• Like 1

I know, I keep thinking I'm about done here, then someone else posts something interesting ... argh! :D

• Like 1