Introverts, how is your day?

A passer-by just started talking to me through the garden gate, and she thought my brother was my father, which is hilarious because he's only 8 years older than me. Do I look young or does he look old...?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Still working on getting back. Will be starting back within 45 minutes now that the threat of severe weather is done. Once home, I figure out what to do with my car down here.

• Sad 1

Eurgh not good.

Is it a case of 'it'll cost more to fix than to buy another one'?

7 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

Jump start sounds like a good preparation.

It's a good idea to have a least a set of jump-start cables and know how to use them.  Other than a tire gauge and a bag of pretzels, that's about the only emergency equipment that I carry.

Added: oh, and a pair of rubber boots.

On ‎7‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 5:37 PM, Pseudonym said:

Have you had any of the big thunderstorms that have been crossing Europe?

On ‎7‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 6:11 PM, J.P. said:

No, not where I live - they tend to be very local. But you never know when and where they may hit.

I do. My house. Daily. I'm sick of it.

19 hours ago, Pseudonym said:

Do I look young or does he look old...?

You look young. Always that. You look young, don't think otherwise. The older we are, the more we have to frame the word and put it up in fireplace. Also repeat it everytime you breath...

12 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Other than a tire gauge and a bag of pretzels, that's about the only emergency equipment that I carry.

Added: oh, and a pair of rubber boots.

Wait...rubber boots?? What for? Do you plan to waddle on the water ponding around after rain?

Does webbed feet not enough for you? :P

What I like the most about car, (well, I start very late, so I'm still amused by this thingy) is the storage! :D Do you know how hard it is to buy broom and other bulky products, with the other option is using delivery service that requires you to wait at home all day,and how hard it is to buy big tupperware my passenger actually had to wear it on his head one time, but it was raining so it's all good for him as cover.

1 hour ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

Wait...rubber boots?? What for? Do you plan to waddle on the water ponding around after rain?

Does webbed feet not enough for you? :P

Actually I put them in the car last winter, in case it snowed.  Though I suppose webbed feet would make pretty good snow shoes .

5 hours ago, Arcadia said:

I do. My house. Daily. I'm sick of it.

I'm getting sick to sodding death of the rain too. For the next week we're forecast one sunny day. Meanwhile most of England has hot dry weather. B*stards. I knew there was a reason us celtic countries didn't like 'em. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have a pretty interesting outing planned tomorrow, I'm going to an archery and falconry centre, looking forward to holding the birds of prey. Hopefully I don't get savaged. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Pseudonym said:

I have a pretty interesting outing planned tomorrow, I'm going to an archery and falconry centre, looking forward to holding the birds of prey. Hopefully I don't get savaged. 

If they let you hold it, it's normally well trained and fine. Just close your eyes if it seems way too interested. :P

One of my colleague is leaving, and she is actually the only girl in the team, before her there was none and now I'm left alone with the boys again. We get along well and she has a very good work ethic. So she is trying to find good replacement for us and this new guy, her old classmate, is as good as her, or so she said, and also outgoing (which is great to have since she is like the connector to outer world, and the good thing about her, she is savy enough to get close to people gradually and know the timing of personal space so I've never found her too dramatic or invading).

Today is so called the first day I'm sitting still in office and this new guy had tried to chat with me couple of times by visiting my desk. I have a glass cabinet behind me, and since people could look at the reflection of my monitor through that, I put up some scenery pictures I took on the glass. It had been there for years. So he stood beside me, and looked at those pictures with fingers on the chin and nodding head and started asking me about this and that, and I got it, he loves photography too and wants to make it known, it seemed like he was waiting for me to ask him back, but I didn't. (because the spot is sacred place and no one should stand idly next to me when I'm working!). We were interrupted by visitors thankfully. The next time he asked for my number which is okay since we would be working together. The next time he came and asked me if I also would join photography competition that I know nothing about. The next time he came to me asking about work (actually he should already have some others to worry about), and he starts to chime in with jokes etc etc a bit way too fast. While I normally quiet with new people, I make effort to be nicer to him for my colleague, but a little worry I have is that he doesn’t really know the line and try to get friendly bit too fast.:confused2:

1 hour ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

I make effort to be nicer to him for my colleague, but a little worry I have is that he doesn’t really know the line and try to get friendly bit too fast.:confused2:

Maybe he's trying extra hard to be nice to you (in his own way), on account of his classmate.  Any chance you could get in touch with her to discuss the situation?  Maybe she would know what to do.

Eurgh not good.
Is it a case of 'it'll cost more to fix than to buy another one'?

Exactly, about 5x what my car is worth. Looking at another used Prius today had 2 options 1) 1 model year newer than my dead one with less than half the miles, the same color & 1 owner 2) 4 years newer with about 30k more miles than the first option (about half the miles of my car), not red (which my sister will be happy about) & 2 owners. I’m planning on seeing the second one and my dad will be helping me with the financing. While trying to get a business going, I’m also job hunting because I need the finances.

3 hours ago, SherlockedCAMPer said:

Exactly, about 5x what my car is worth. Looking at another used Prius today had 2 options 1) 1 model year newer than my dead one with less than half the miles, the same color & 1 owner 2) 4 years newer with about 30k more miles than the first option (about half the miles of my car), not red (which my sister will be happy about) & 2 owners. I’m planning on seeing the second one and my dad will be helping me with the financing. While trying to get a business going, I’m also job hunting because I need the finances.

Eugghh, I empathize. I went through this a couple of times and ended up figuring out it was cheaper to keep fixing the old car, with its known problems, than to purchase another used car. I held onto that thing until the engine gave out, and by that time had saved enough money to buy a brand new car. And as much as I'd like to have one, that's why I've stayed away from hybrids; the potential for crippling repair costs terrifies me. Fortunately my current car (which was an unexpected gift from my nephew) is an absolute gem that gets 38 mpg and has never required anything but routine maintenance, and I probably just jinxed it by saying that …. 😟

4 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

... it was cheaper to keep fixing the old car, with its known problems, than to purchase another used car.

That's what Alex and I think, for the most part.  We've even put in a total of three rebuilt engines and one rebuilt alternator into two cars, and also had one car's own transmission rebuilt (because no new or already-rebuilt ones were available).  It's still cheaper (and less prone to nasty surprises) than buying another good used car.

The only exception we've made so far was when a big bad Cadillac SUV decided to make a rapid left turn across three lanes of traffic into our innocent little Honda Civic.  The impact was on the Honda's front corner, and it looked to us like it had messed up the alignment -- which, as I understand it, is one thing that can't be reliably fixed.  R.I.P, little Civic.  :(

• Sad 1

I don't clean as often as I should... I really need to make an effort this weekend, my house is starting to get tumbleweeds of cat hair. 😳

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Eugghh, I empathize. I went through this a couple of times and ended up figuring out it was cheaper to keep fixing the old car, with its known problems, than to purchase another used car. I held onto that thing until the engine gave out, and by that time had saved enough money to buy a brand new car. And as much as I'd like to have one, that's why I've stayed away from hybrids; the potential for crippling repair costs terrifies me. Fortunately my current car (which was an unexpected gift from my nephew) is an absolute gem that gets 38 mpg and has never required anything but routine maintenance, and I probably just jinxed it by saying that ….

That's what Alex and I think, for the most part.  We've even put in a total of three rebuilt engines and one rebuilt alternator into two cars, and also had one car's own transmission rebuilt (because no new or already-rebuilt ones were available).  It's still cheaper (and less prone to nasty surprises) than buying another good used car.
The only exception we've made so far was when a big bad Cadillac SUV decided to make a rapid left turn across three lanes of traffic into our innocent little Honda Civic.  The impact was on the Honda's front corner, and it looked to us like it had messed up the alignment -- which, as I understand it, is one thing that can't be reliably fixed.  R.I.P, little Civic. 

I do as much repairs as possible. Because it was the engine and a Prius, decided not to.

Oh yeah, I think you're doing the right thing, I didn't mean to imply otherwise. Eventually every car must give up the ghost. Just sorry you have to go through it, I know it's a drag.

I remember when I finally let go of my old car … it was a teal blue '67 Mustang, and someone bought it for the parts. It was hauled out of the driveway by a tow truck, nose down and rear up … and I burst into tears. We'd been together for 20 years, and been through a lot together, it didn't seem a fitting end for that car. Every time I see an old Mustang (not that often, any more) I wonder if a piece of mine might be living on inside it....

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I held a harris hawk, a small eagle owl and a barn owl. Beautiful creatures. 

• Like 2

I petted an owl once. So fluffy and soft.

I didn't pet any of them, that would have been a painful idea. They did the display they always do in these places where they had one of the falcons hunting food off the end of a rope that's being swung in a figure of eight at full speed, the speed the birds can go and the way they'll swoop from behind trees etc is always mind blowing. 

My friend has a scar from a pelican. She also has a scar from a Twix wrapper. :wtf:

• Like 1

Same way you get a scar from a Twix wrapper, of course.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1