Introverts, how is your day?

For the pelican, "I tried to smooth it." Which means she tried to stroke it. 

For the Twix, I don't know. She's 'explained' it to me, but honestly I'm still mystified. 

• Like 1

On 8/3/2018 at 7:21 PM, Carol the Dabbler said:

Maybe he's trying extra hard to be nice to you (in his own way), on account of his classmate.  Any chance you could get in touch with her to discuss the situation?  Maybe she would know what to do.

She was still here when he started. I suppose it's no use. She said she used to fear me, based on what she heard from my other colleagues. XD But eventually we got to know each other fast and we clicked well. I believe she thought I changed from a grumpy witch to okay person, while the fact is I've just become comfortable enough. We went through couple of bad experiences at work together, therefore I was more open. Maybe that's what she told her friend, that I'm the new me, but it doesn't work that way, I can't be instant friend.

On 8/4/2018 at 10:45 PM, Arcadia said:

I petted an owl once. So fluffy and soft.

On 8/5/2018 at 12:20 AM, Carol the Dabbler said:

I petted a vulture once -- till he bit me.

No, I am not joking.

I was half awake when I read these, and mistook 'petted' for 'pelted'.

Arcadia's one sounds weird, but Carol's one makes a lot of sense. :lol5:

• Haha 1

My phone started ringing when I was driving to work, but it was in the boot so couldn't see who it was. Just got into the office, got the phone out to check, it's a business number but not one I recognise or one that comes up in Google. They left a voicemail, I listened, it's either in Mandarin or Cantonese. WTF?

Do you or do you not have nine million dollars jade in your possession??

*step on vein* TELL ME!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Ugh, there was family day on my mom's work and of course my mom wanted wanted me to come so after some pestering I agreed. Of course ended up regretting it, I didn't know anyone so I spent the whole time awkwardly at my mom's side. And there was also some whiny, annoying children. I can't believe I took a day off for this, thank God it only lasted two hours.

3 hours ago, Fantasy Lover said:

... thank God it only lasted two hours.

And there's the bright side!  :D

• Like 2

I sent an email of complaint about a print I bought, and now I’m going to be on edge until I hear back, which could be days away if ever. I’m too British, I never complain!

Paid my tuition fees this morning, I’m so poor. :( I really need the grant I applied for but won’t hear if I have it or not for a while yet.

3 hours ago, Pseudonym said:

I sent an email of complaint about a print I bought, and now I’m going to be on edge until I hear back, which could be days away if ever. I’m too British, I never complain!

You can tell us what's wrong with the print -- maybe that'd make you feel better.  :patpatpat:

I have a Greenpeace poster I have had for about 30 years, it's been very loved and it's gone a bit raggedy after being blue tacked up on so many walls, and it's only A2. So hunting for a big picture to put over my desk in my new home office I thought I'd see if I could track down the artist to buy a bigger print. Emailed him, he said he could get me a print though not particularly cheap as he'd have to get it printed specially. Since I'm struggling atm, see the tuition fees comment, I mulled it over for a while before finally decided to go for it. He got it printed, sent it to me, and the colours are all wrong! It's got this horrible green tinge that throws all the other colours off, the original has a beautiful blue sea, this one everything is green. It's so disappointing. I've tried to get used to it, but I sat down earlier to cut a mount to frame it and I just hate it too much. So I bit the bullet and complained. It's slightly blurry too, which I'm not impressed with, but I can live with that. The irritating thing is I could fix it in Photoshop in about a minute, it's not hard to sort, but obviously I don't have the digital file or the way to print it. 

Here's the original print vs the new one. 

b9d991e1ba82ec891b5316e9ede81522.jpg

Hmm, odd.  Is it possible that your older print used to be that color, but has faded over time?  And/or that the file's resolution isn't quite adequate for the larger size?

No it hasn't faded the printer (company not literal printer) has f*cked up the colour. And yea, the resolution isn't high enough, but I can live with the slight blur, it wouldn't affect the colour. 

Yup, any time humans start tweaking things, that sort of stuff can happen.  I suppose they usually make it better, but we only notice when they don't.

For the colour it literally needs a slider on the colour balance palette moved slightly to the left, SO ANNOYING!! *shakes fist*

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

The second one is what I would expect the first one to look like after it's faded.

They screwed up, Pseud, you're right to complain.

Thanks, I didn't complain at first because I was wondering if I was being picky - coming from an art background I tend to be hyper aware of colour problems, I'm guessing you might be the same? I'm glad you think it's bad too. 

The only excuse I can think of is that he didn't have an original to compare it to. It's so ugly. :(

• Like 1

My first guess would be that he doesn't have his own repro equipment (or even know much about such things), so he paid someone else to make the print -- then when it turned out badly, he complained, but the repro guy (who was not artistic himself and/or dishonest and/or colorblind) claimed there was nothing wrong with it, and if he wanted something different, he'd have to pay again.  The artist had already charged you a pretty hefty fee just to cover the printing and make a little profit.  Maybe he was hoping you wouldn't notice, but now that you've complained, he doesn't know what to do.

Oh -- and maybe he'd had the guy make several of them in order to get a better rate per print.  And now he's wondering if he'll be able to sell any of them.  I suspect he can, though.  There must be plenty of people who've never seen the original, and think a green sea is a neat effect.

He definitely went to a printers. I suspect he didn't realise. If I hadn't seen the original it wouldn't bother me so much, but I likely wouldn't have bought it. I'm not a fan of green. 

12 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Please let us know if/when he gets back to you.  I'm really curious what he's going to say.

Yeah, me too, in case I need to borrow his line some day. :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Oh -- and maybe he'd had the guy make several of them in order to get a better rate per print.  And now he's wondering if he'll be able to sell any of them.  I suspect he can, though.  There must be plenty of people who've never seen the original, and think a green sea is a neat effect.

There's a kind of professional code … unenforceable … that's supposed to keep artists from doing that very thing, though. Might depend on how much of a "professional" this guy is, or if his art's more of a sideline.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1