Undead Medic

Help with the new look Sherlock Forum!

For me, one of the best new things is the edit function. I’ve lost count of the times I’ve been caught out by the hated predictive text so well done Tim👍

I was wondering if there were any features on the 2 Ripper Forums that I post on which would be good on here? Not really, is the answer. Except perhaps for one thing. On those forums each post is numbered and so it’s easy if you want to point something out or refer to a post by saying “it’s post #67 on the ‘So and so’ thread. 

This forum's previous software (i.e., what we had until a few days ago) numbered the posts, which was, as you say, a convenient way to refer to them.

There was one catch, though -- staff members can still see posts that have been hidden, so the post numbers we saw were correspondingly larger.  Referencing by post numbers worked well in conversations between two staff members or between two regular members -- but were not much help between one of each (which is often the case when a post is being pointed out).  Would have been nice if the staff could have seen both post numbers, but since that wasn't the case, I don't particularly miss them.

Added: I should have said, as long as there's still a way to link to a particular post, which I assume there is.  I just haven't needed to do that in the past few days.  (Or maybe I've already done that and simply don't recall doing it.)

22 hours ago, Hikari said:

Tim,

Will the restrictions on posting pictures and videos still remain (ie, need a photo hosting site?)  I haven't tried it yet; was curious.

Those will in fact remain, Hikari, afaik, as will the limit to certain formats (e.g., no .mp4 videos), which isn't Tim's but the software's limitation, btw. I dug into the Invision forums for a workaround (I have sooo many sweet dog vids waiting) but no such luck, unfortunately.

• Thanks 1

Hosting pictures on forum's server would require a lot of additional webspace ant it's costly. So I don't expect this aspect to change.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

I see that we are no longer able to "Like" our own posts.  :cry:

Oh, poor Carol! How will she rise in the ranks now!!!! :tongue: 

2 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

This forum's previous software (i.e., what we had until a few days ago) numbered the posts, which was, as you say, a convenient way to refer to them.

There was one catch, though -- staff members can still see posts that have been hidden, so the post numbers we saw were correspondingly larger.  Referencing by post numbers worked well in conversations between two staff members or between two regular members -- but were not much help between one of each (which is often the case when a post is being pointed out).  Would have been nice if the staff could have seen both post numbers, but since that wasn't the case, I don't particularly miss them.

Added: I should have said, as long as there's still a way to link to a particular post, which I assume there is.  I just haven't needed to do that in the past few days.  (Or maybe I've already done that and simply don't recall doing it.)

I tried it, if you recall (no, sorry, I don't remember which thread I was in, but I'll look) and when I linked to a particular post, what I got was a picture of that post (!) which linked back to the thread it was in, but not to that specific post. I'm assuming Tim's still tweaking this, I'll try it again.

(I almost typed that Tim is twerking things ... egad, I hope not. :blink: )

Okay, here's me linking to the last post I made in "Recently watched movies", let's see what happens....

http://www.sherlockforum.com/forum/topic/3382-recently-watched-movies/?do=findComment&comment=141385

Okay, function fixed! Way to go Tim!

And here's the link back to the first time I tried it, which was, ahem, one page ago, in this very thread.

Ohhh, interesting ... I get an image again this time! But I see I may have been wrong about the image only linking back to the start of the thread. That's what the big link, in bold face, does. But if you click at the very top where it says "Arcadia replied to a topic", that takes you back to the actual post. And now I see you can also click on the time, the reputation vote, and the creator of the thread. Verrrry interesting.

I find it even more amusing that we give reputations ... :D

10 hours ago, Arcadia said:

I find it even more amusing that we give reputations ... :D

Speaking of which . . .I just visited the nifty new feature, "Leaderboard" and  . . I'm on it, in fourth place!  (Ie, just out of medal contention.)

I'm flattered, though--for a new kid who's only been here for 31/2 months, that was a surprise.  There is a vast, vast gap between 4th and the medals podium, though, so you guys are basically uncatchable.  You've reached the Moon and I'm still in Earth's atmosphere.

I'll be keeping an eye on my progress, and I am issuing a challenge to my fellow DCS Herlock Sholmes to join me on the leaderboard!

I also noticed that my name is appearing first on the member list to the right--does that order reflect who was online most recently?  It's a heady sensation, being at the top.  I'm not used to being at the top of anything . . (except maybe word count, Haha!)

3 hours ago, Hikari said:

Speaking of which . . .I just visited the nifty new feature, "Leaderboard" and  . . I'm on it, in fourth place!  (Ie, just out of medal contention.)

I'm flattered, though--for a new kid who's only been here for 31/2 months, that was a surprise.  There is a vast, vast gap between 4th and the medals podium, though, so you guys are basically uncatchable.  You've reached the Moon and I'm still in Earth's atmosphere.

I'll be keeping an eye on my progress, and I am issuing a challenge to my fellow DCS Herlock Sholmes to join me on the leaderboard!

I also noticed that my name is appearing first on the member list to the right--does that order reflect who was online most recently?  It's a heady sensation, being at the top.  I'm not used to being at the top of anything . . (except maybe word count, Haha!)

Hikari, I just looked at the leaderboard and didn’t understand it. To be honest I understood no part of it.

"What's it like in your funny little brains?  It must be so boring . . ."  --SH

Well, there's three cups--Gold, Silver and Bronze, for the top three posters.  I just saw now off to the side there is a pull-down menu for "This Month" . .vs. "All-Time" . . I was #4 for the current 30-day period.  Under the person's name it shows their total # of posts, ever . . and their 'Like' points for the month.  I'm guessing that the 'Like' (sorry, now called 'React') points' tally is what makes the rankings.  I think this little friendly competition is Undead's ploy to generate more site traffic. . . so get postin', dude!

I'm crap at sport, but I can get down with this!  Only kind of medal I'm ever likely to win . . .

2 minutes ago, J.P. said:

Are we at Olympics now, or what? :rolleyes:

I think that was the general idea . . It just so happened that our Leaderboard debuted at the very same time as the Winter Olympics.

Hey, we have infinite do-overs and weather is not a consideration.  We can drink coffee and eat snacks while 'competing'.  This, I like.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hikari said:

I'm guessing that the 'Like' (sorry, now called 'React') points' tally is what makes the rankings.

I think you're probably right about that, but it's not real clear, is it?  And apparently the standard display is for the current rolling month (i.e., from this time last month until today) -- though you can select just today, this week, etc.

I just noticed a few more ‘missing’ posts. They’re on the Solar Pons thread and they are all from Hikari where she has quoted me. Her responses are missing. There’s obviously a technical explaination but it’s all witchcraft  to me🙂

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I was just in the "Holmes Quiz" thread and there's a bunch of stuff missing there as well. Some posts are truncated, and I think some are missing.

• Thanks 1

You’re right Arcadia. It’s often when someone has quoted a post. Their response is missing. I don’t know if that suggests to Tim a reason? It’s all a mystery to me.

Just for clarification. When you click on the heart 5 options are available. What do they mean. I can guess at the faces I think but what’s the difference between clicking the heart and the trophy?

A mouse-over will tell you ... heart means "like" (the standard option), while trophy means "thank you".

• Thanks 2

In sequence, they are Like, Sad, Confused, Haha, and Thanks.  Though some of them could be used creatively with other meanings -- e.g., the trophy could mean Congratulations.

• Thanks 1

Hey, Herlock, did you feel the earthquake? :blink:

1 hour ago, Arcadia said:

Hey, Herlock, did you feel the earthquake? :blink:

No Arcadia. What earthquake?

Just read about it Arcadia. Not a thing where I live. I wonder if Pseudonym felt it in Wales?

Wondering the same thing but she doesn't seem to have been on since this morning (my time). I hope she's (forgive the pun) not too shaken up by it......