Recently watched movies

Mrs. Hudson don't care.

"Case? The greatest case of our career!"

"Oh mercy, it always is."

:rofl:

They've got to give that line to Una Stubbs one of these days.

• Like 4

I've seen "God's own country" by Francis Lee, about two boys meeting in a farm that is in a really bad situation. A very good critic attracted me in it in early december when the movie was programmed in France. Then I read that Mark Gatiss liked it very much, and my nearest cinema offered it last thursday, so...

Well, that was really good. Love story, atmosphere, all ok, even if one backstory or two,a few events and characters more, could have been developped. Not a Hollywood blockbuster, clearly. But I got the feeling that the film director was (very innocently) playing with the viewers' expectations, and I enjoyed what I considered a game very much. I thought he was asking us sometimes: "what do you want me to do? Happy end or melodramatic outcome? See, may be the first, may be the second...". And the way he develops this suspense is both very simple and completely amazing: there is one very simple shot (can't tell much) which lets us assume there could be a tragic ending, and I just was here thinking: "oh you b... film director, don't do that, or I'll cross the Channel just to kill you!".

Besides, the way the film director faces possible comparisons with "The secret of Brokeback mountain" is also something fantastic: parallels, re-interpretation of scènes...no hesitation from him in telling his own story despite this overwhelming reference. And a bonus for me: Ian Hart, the leading role of "Land and freedom" by Ken Loach, some twenty years ago...well, as the ageing father now...very important and touching presence, also. I dropped a tear bacause of him.

Really something to be seen if you want to stop a little from the Hollywood way of telling the story. Some scènes are explicit but it fits with the evolution of the characters, and you'll also get your time of very romantic moments! 

• Like 2

Alex and I have just watched Ghost (on DVD), and we both think it's beautifully done.

Patrick Swayze plays a ghost who desperately needs to get a message to the woman (played by Demi Moore) who was his girlfriend, so he enlists the help of a medium played by Whoopi Goldberg. What ensues is a delightful mix of suspense, romance, action, and intrinsic humor.

Enough said. If you're interested in seeing this movie, I would strongly recommend that you NOT read anything else about it. Even the IMDb synopsis gives away too much in my opinion, and spoils the beautifully-crafted suspense at the beginning.

• Like 1

This is the first time you've seen it? Wow. It's a clever film, I remember, I enjoyed it too.

• Like 2

I recall thinking it looked interesting, back when it first came out -- but no, I had never actually seen it, and neither had Alex.

We decided to buy the DVD after seeing Swayze in Dirty Dancing recently (we are apparently about thirty years behind on our movie watching). And of course Whoopi Goldberg is always wonderful.

• Like 2

Good heavens, you do have a lot of catching up to do. Have you seen Shawshank Redemption yet? One of my top twenty, I think.

• Like 2

Love both those movies. “Shawshank Redemption” is in my top faves too. Whenever anyone asks me about a favorite movie, that one always pops into my head.

• Like 1

I've never seen Shawshank either. Never appealed to me, even though it always shows up on top movie lists. 

It wouldn’t normally be mine either, I don’t like to watch that sort of thing. Shawshank is an exception for me though. If I’m remembering right, I think I only ended up watching it because one of my high school teachers popped it in on a day they didn’t feel like teaching.

Same here, normally I'd not be attracted to a plot like that, and I have no idea why I chose to see it, other than ... yeah, okay, Morgan Freeman. (He and BC should have a phonebook reading contest. I'd pay to listen.)

Carol, that Wikipedia entry is accurate, but in no way conveys the ... hope? eloquence? spirituality? ... of this film. It leaves you in a good place. The violence is mostly off screen, if that helps. And the performances are brilliant. I have a hard time imagining anyone not liking it, to be honest.

How about Castaway with Tom Hanks? Another moving, beautifully made film with a similar theme.

How about some more triumphs of the human spirit: Slumdog Millionaire? Life is Beautiful? Wall-E? :D And in a different vein, O Brother, Where Art Thou?

• Like 1

What a coincidence, I though of Ghost the other day (not sure what led me to it) and think how normal viewing would look at it differently, but apparently you have the same reaction with what people had when it came out, Carol.

I'm not sure if I'd have the same reaction, watched it when I was around 13 (we definitely didn't have cinema age restriction being implemented properly) with parents and siblings! I remember being quite indifferent but understand that it's supposed to be a touching love story.

How about some more triumphs of the human spirit: Slumdog Millionaire? Life is Beautiful? Wall-E? :D And in a different vein, O Brother, Where Art Thou?

Love those you mentioned except O Brother...haven't watched that one.

Watched Inside Out, didn't care for it previously, thought it's whiny kind of story, but it's nice watch actually. Entertaining. 7.5/10

Carol, that Wikipedia entry is accurate, but in no way conveys the ... hope? eloquence? spirituality? ... of this film. It leaves you in a good place. The violence is mostly off screen, if that helps. And the performances are brilliant. I have a hard time imagining anyone not liking it, to be honest.

^ Same.

I remember being quite indifferent but understand that it's supposed to be a touching love story.

For me it's more comedy than touching love story, lol.  I'm weird.  :P

How about The Green Mile? That's a good 'un. Not something I'd rank amongst my favourites but definitely good. 

It's extremely funny. Very quirky characters and plot.

I remember being quite indifferent but understand that it's supposed to be a touching love story.

For me it's more comedy than touching love story, lol.  I'm weird.  :P

^Same. ;)

Okay, I see the love story, but the comedy (and suspense) is what makes it work as a movie, imo.

How about The Green Mile? That's a good 'un. Not something I'd rank amongst my favourites but definitely good. 

Yeah, I liked it. Shawshank's better. :p Doesn't have the supernatural aspect.

• Like 1

The supernatural element is a big part of what I like about it. So another cross in Shawshank's box.  B)

Whereas the only one I *have* seen is O Brother. A friend recommended it very highly -- I think he particularly enjoyed how it follows the Odyssey. I enjoyed it but wasn't blown away like he was. (Didn't buy the DVD.)

For me [Ghost is] more comedy than touching love story, lol. I'm weird. :P

That's another thing I like about it, the judicious blend of drama and humor, nicely integrated. Even when it's being hilarious, there's something serious going on.

• Like 1

Anyone watched All The Money in The World? Didn't remember the actual event, and didn't remember Kevin Spacey replacement by Christopher Plummer. Well Christopher is so good I'm wondering why they didn't cast him in the first place, it's age appropriate too.

he was actually the studio's first choice for the character, but his schedule prevented him from being casted. But I still wonder why they casted Kevin, they could have hired Patrick Stewart, Ian McKellen, Michael Caine, Jeremy Irons, Michael Gambon or David Bradley or just any white old man instead of a middle-aged man with incredibly fake old man make up.

I loved Slumdog millionaire! It was so refreshing to see a movie that wasn't in America or the UK.

I found The Green Mile a interesting movie, it shows a prison during the time of the electrical chair and how the guards stopped wanting to use it.

Omg, that botched electric chair scene. That's the main thing from that film that sticks with me.