Favourite "Sherlock" Pictures, etc.

Ruthyone

On 1/30/2018 at 5:02 AM, Hikari said:

A:  Of course he can.  He never did anything so conventional and Dull as pay for driving lessons.  He watched a couple of videos on YouTube and learned to drive by osmosis. 

On 1/30/2018 at 6:00 AM, Hikari said:

Even better, I want the Land Rover and Sherlock to drive me around in it.  :)

You probably want to consider. In the Casebook, John berated him for driving only in first gear. :D

• Like 2

:blanket:No of course not!

The other way is coming here and reading only selective threads.

That explain my vast knowledge about Benedict Cumberbatch and any other cast and things happening around the world. :P

• Like 3
  • Tongue 1

• 1 month later...

I dunno...

I remember on one of my old Sherlock forums, viciously slagging off Sally for her prejudeice against Sherlock.

But even by S2 I realised she is in fact right, he's a dangerous man.

CAM learned this to his cost in HLV. And before any smart arse says, yes I know that's S 3!

Sherlock never struck me as innocent or delicate, personally.  Especially not the latter.  Endearing though, at times.

10 hours ago, J.P. said:

Dunno, there are a lot of early Sherlock on my timeline at Twitter and there is something incredibly innocent and delicate about him

I see it too. Vulnerable, and pretending he's not.

10 hours ago, J.P. said:

something that IMO was missing after TAB.

Dang, you're right. Except in TLD. Is that why he seems so "off" to me in the other two episodes? And so perfect in TLD? Hmm.

10 hours ago, J.P. said:

Apparently shooting bad people and overdosing changes people.

I know you meant that a bit facetiously, but I wonder if that's something they were going for? If so, I don't think they made the connection clear enough; it seems to me he should have had a darker personality as well, if they wanted to show how S3 had changed him. Double hmm.

1 hour ago, Arcadia said:

I see it too. Vulnerable, and pretending he's not.

Emotionally vulnerable I can see, sometimes.  But to me that’s different than innocent or delicate.

Sorry, wasn't clear enough. It's about the way he looks at those damn, beautiful stills and screencaps.

Ben apparently changed a lot between S 3and S4, even if it's not that obvious in his non-Sherlock pics.

It seems marriage (and kids) really change people, eh?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, J.P. said:

It's about the way he looks at those damn, beautiful stills and screencaps.

Yeah, those too. But I also meant in-show. Innocent in the sense of not always recognizing why he's offensive ("oh, it's Christmas!"); and delicate in the sense that his self-esteem sometimes seems rather … er … fragile. Like he's one failure away from deciding his life is worthless. And physically delicate at times, too … he's so thin! Especially in the first episode.

I still say it has a lot to do with how he's filmed in S4 … look at how lean and lanky he appears in TLD compared to the other two episodes, where he looks rather stocky. That's not an actual physical change in the actor; that's due to lenses, lighting and angles, and possibly makeup and wardrobe. It still boggles my mind; it's like watching an entirely different series, but with the same actors.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Arcadia said:

... it seems to me he should have had a darker personality as well, if they wanted to show how S3 had changed him.

If what the Moftisses say is anything to go by, they were meaning to show how he changed from the rather boyishly enthusiastic fellow seen in Conan Doyle's Study in Scarlet, into the more mature and cynical man seen in ACD's later stories.  I hope they mean it -- that'd be a relief to me, after S3 and S4!

13 hours ago, Arcadia said:

Yeah, those too. But I also meant in-show. Innocent in the sense of not always recognizing why he's offensive ("oh, it's Christmas!"); and delicate in the sense that his self-esteem sometimes seems rather … er … fragile. Like he's one failure away from deciding his life is worthless. And physically delicate at times, too … he's so thin! Especially in the first episode.

I would have said “oblivious” rather than “innocent” (though I get what you mean), and I don’t really think his self-esteem is all that bad.  But even if it is, the last thing I’d call him is “delicate”.  A delicate person would fall apart when called a “freak”.  Feelings aren’t what make a person delicate, it’s whether their feelings make them ineffective.  Sherlock gets a lot of negativity thrown at him and probably feels every bit of it, but never lets it deter him from action when there is action to take.  (Or if he does, it’s the exception rather than the rule.)  I’d say he’s the opposite of delicate.

Even physically I wouldn’t call him “delicate”.  Yeah, he’s thin, but not so much that I’d be afraid of breaking him, lol.  His opening scene in TBB was him besting a swordsman, unarmed.  I thought they did pretty well establishing that he can hold his own, lol.

That’s just my personal reading of the character, of course.  I can see where the other opinions come from.  I guess I just don’t agree.

Interestingly, now that I’m thinking on it, he often seems to treat John as if John is delicate.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

If what the Moftisses say is anything to go by, they were meaning to show how he changed from the rather boyishly enthusiastic fellow seen in Conan Doyle's Study in Scarlet, into the more mature and cynical man seen in ACD's later stories.  I hope they mean it -- that'd be a relief to me, after S3 and S4!

Awww, everyone’s so down on S3... I liked it!

I actually thought that Sherlock started out more cynical in S1 than he ended up in S4.

• Like 1