Episode 1.1, "A Study In Pink"

Undead Medic

What did you think of "A Study In Pink?"  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Add Your Vote here:

• 10/10 Excellent
    • 9/10 Not Quite The Best, But Not Far Off.
    • 8/10 Certainly Worth Watching Again.
    • 7/10 Slightly Above The Norm.
    • 6/10 Average.
    • 5/10 Slightly Sub-Par.
    • 4/10 Decidedly Below Average.
    • 3/10 Pretty Poor.
    • 2/10 Bad.
    • 1/10 Terrible.

Just speculating on where Sherlock got any sort of earnings before John came on the scene.  He's been working with the police for 5 years but doesn't get paid for being involved.  Clearly, though, he has a credit card since he loans it to John in "The Blind Banker."  So he has a credit history.  Can't imagine him doing something so mundane as to sit down and pay the bills (probably pays all bills online).  Still one has to wonder where his income came from.  Clearly he wasn't making enough which is why he took a roommate, although even if John hadn't come along, Mrs. Hudson likely would have rented it to him alone.

Maybe some independent cases, but not enough to keep him financially afloat.

I've always assumed there was money somewhere in the Holmes family and that Sherlock mostly lived off his parents' means. They were probably glad he wasn't in prison or a rehab clinic and willing to pay a lot to have him live in his own flat in London under Mycroft's and Lestrade's "supervision".

I too thought that the Holmes were landed gentry which should have been common knowledge but CAM didn't know where Sherlock's bank roll came from.

• 1 month later...

Clearly, though, he has a credit card since he loans it to John in "The Blind Banker."  So he has a credit history.  <snip>  Clearly he wasn't making enough which is why he took a roommate....

He refers to the card as simply "my card," though, so it could be a debit card.  (I think Shan calls it a "credit card," but would she know how to tell the difference?)  And maybe he actually wanted a flatmate so he'd have somebody to try out his poisons on?  :D

Umm :huh: Back to a Study in Pink. I liked this episode. Lots of my favorite Sherlock quotes are from this episode.

Right -- they were introducing the characters, so they had to demonstrate their personalities.  And Moftiss still had the entire canon to borrow quotes and ideas from.

Yes ASIP is loaded with snippy lines, more so than the others. By the time you get to HLV they have mostly vanished although SH had lots of good snarkiness in his best man speech in TSOT.

I thought there were some pretty snarky lines in HLV too .... "How rude, I just proposed to her."  "What exactly is the point of you!" "It's Christmas! - Yes, I feel the same way ... "

My all time favorite line in SIP was when John came in & said " That's the most ridiculous thing (takes a few breaths) I've ever done." Sherlock replied " You invaded Afghanistan ". Then they chuckle/ laugh a bit. I was so touched by that, instantly best friends were born. :smile::sherlock2::watson:

• Like 1

Just found this old review of A Study In Pink,  words such as "clumsy" and "crass" and "stinker".  Wonder if he still believes that?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/7919100/Sherlock-BBC-One-review.html

• Like 1

Probably .... reviewers seldom change their minds, any more than the rest of us :P ..... but his colleague sure had a different take on it .... http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/bbc/7907566/Sherlock-BBC-One-review.html

• Like 1

How can you not like A Study in Pink? Whatever, I don't want to know. I just watched that episode again after a very long time (not since series 3 aired... and I hadn't seen it for months before that, either).

Wow. It is positively magical. I think this is the best made of all the episodes, the most cleverly constructed, I mean. It could very well stand on its own as a film. And it's got... something. Something, well, magical, that they never managed to capture again in quite this way. I was originally only planning to watch the first half and then do other stuff that has piled up before going to bed, but I found I just couldn't interrupt it.

There are so many little details to notice. Like how the theme of making (50/50) choices runs through the whole thing. "Time to choose a side", says Mycroft. Sherlock chooses to get in the cab instead of calling the police. Then there's the thing about choosing the right pill, and while they are discussing whether that is just a 50/50 chance or a chess move, we see a shot of John, who has to chose between two identical looking houses to find Sherlock. Then at the end, we have Sherlock choosing not to give John away as the shooter. 

Oh... everybody was so young in series 1... And Sherlock was so terribly thin, his cheekbones seem to be almost poking through his skin. It is so wonderful to have a series where you can watch the characters change and age and mature.

• Like 2

I got the "For Britain only" double set of series one and two and am watching it now. It's not for release in the US unless you have a computer that will play Region 2 or free.  I must say there are differences....subtle...but there.  Great fun. "A Study in Pink" will always be first on my best of series list.

I noticed something that never caught my attention before: In the cab, Sherlock refers to John as a "war hero". Now, he might mean that in an ironic sort of way, but the fact still remains that it was Sherlock who brought up the h-word first, not John. "Don't make people into heroes", indeed. Perhaps, Mr Holmes, you should practice what you preach. ;)

• Like 3

Because Sherlock is so full of himself, doesn't even realize when he's being contradictory. Remember SIP, Johns blog... "Or better still stop inflicting your opinions on the world" talk about the pot calling the kettle black! <_<

• Like 1

I got the "For Britain only" double set of series one and two and am watching it now. It's not for release in the US unless you have a computer that will play Region 2 or free.  I must say there are differences....subtle...but there.

Really?  I've always been under the impression that the DVD contents are identical, with only the region code differing.  Can you give us some examples?  Preferably from Series 1, since we have the region 1 DVD for that one, so I can actually compare what you say with what we've got.

When John opens the desk draw to take out his lap top and reveals the pistol, in the British version he hardly even looks at it. It's just a quick glance hardly any hesitation at all. The differences were very subtle but I would have to watch them almost side by side to be sure what else was there.

Fox, are you sure you're not thinking of the difference between the pilot and the 90-minute episode?  He definitely looks more meaningfully at the gun in -- umm, I think it's the pilot (too sleepy to be sure).

I'm not sure either at this point. I do know that that glance and its significance has been discussed. I''ll have to watch the pilot and mark the difference.