Undead Medic

Episode 1.1, "A Study In Pink"

What did you think of "A Study In Pink?"  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Add Your Vote here:

• 10/10 Excellent
    • 9/10 Not Quite The Best, But Not Far Off.
    • 8/10 Certainly Worth Watching Again.
    • 7/10 Slightly Above The Norm.
    • 6/10 Average.
    • 5/10 Slightly Sub-Par.
    • 4/10 Decidedly Below Average.
    • 3/10 Pretty Poor.
    • 2/10 Bad.
    • 1/10 Terrible.

... in their best interest too, I am sure. Of course.

Although at least one act of manipulation really was beneficial: Making John forget his cane. I wonder whether that was planned or just happened and Sherlock simply took the credit later.

Could have been planned in the 90-minute version, but presumably not planned in the pilot -- obviously not planned in the way that it worked out.  Which leads me to doubt that it was planned in the aired episode.

Sherlock does seem to be awfully pleased with himself, but mightn't that be simply an "I know something you don't know" moment?  Couldn't he have merely observed and interpreted the effect that The Great Taxi Chase had on John?  Then of course he texted Angelo.  When he and John arrived back at Baker Street, Sherlock could presumably see Angelo some distance away, headed in their direction with John's cane in his hand.  In that case, what we see as smugness over having manipulated John could actually be smugness over knowing that his big surprise is about to be sprung on John.

Yup. It's like "Ha! You didn't even miss your cane did you, you invader of Afghanistan you! And you ran all over London...so take that! Psychosomatic indeed!"

• Like 1

I like "not planned" better, so I'll believe in that. Thanks for providing me with arguments! Although of course an assistant without a cane is a lot more useful than one with a cane...

... an assistant without a cane is a lot more useful than one with a cane...

Unless you want him to whack the villain!

Maybe John could take a page from the Canon and learn some stick fighting.

Did Watson do stick fighting?  Or do you mean like Holmes?

I just noticed that I voted without posting the other day.  (I'm working my way through all six episodes again and then reading each of the threads here on the forum.)

Study in Pink is my favorite of the six.  As has been discussed in the thread about the unaired pilot, there are so many things changed, some for good, some we sort of wish they had held over.  One thing I don't remember seeing mentioned was the opening credits.  In the unaired pilot, the opening credits were just over a grayish background.  I'm so glad the opening was changed to the London scenery.  Being on the other side of the pond, I'm not at all familiar with London, and I have to say, I hadn't ever even seen the London Eye before that.

You sure can't miss it these days!

A while back, I had mentioned The Hobbit to our cat sitter.  She wasn't familiar with it, but did say that the name Martin Freeman was familiar, and we finally figured out that she had seen "Study" back a few years ago and really liked it, but hadn't followed up.  So she came over a few days ago and we watched "Study" again.  She kept exclaiming how good the acting was and the cinematography and the humor.  She will be back for more!

Without really thinking about it, I had always taken the opening-credits background to be a collage of various London scenes, but watching it this time I realized that it's not, it's a single picture, taken from one of the Thames bridges.  Next time we're over, we'll have to see if we can match that shot!

I can't imagine a more well done first episode of anything.  The show hits the ground running alright.  Cerebral, interesting, and expertly handled from moment one.  I'll get into some more episode=specific discussion later, but wanted to bring up what i thought was an excellent example of just how much thought and work goes into this series.

I love the subtle nods via cinematography throughout to the title of the episode. Several scenes have very clever placements of the color pink. Not distracting in the least, in fact, almost subliminal.  I would be shocked if this weren't intentional. 

http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc448/201050/P1.jpg

http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc448/201050/P2.jpg

http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc448/201050/P3.jpg

http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc448/201050/P4.jpg

I fell completely in love with this episode when I first watched it some 8-9 months ago (was it really such a short time ago?). I think what sealed the deal for me was the moment when Sherlock revealed his deductions about John, and said man responded positively, to which Sherlock was surprised. John loves what most others hate.

The ending is perfect. I love Sherlock's "Good shot", and the look on his face when he figures out who shot the cabbie. I read admiration from Sherlock in that whole scene, which sort of evens out the dynamic between him and John. They each have traits that the other admires.

How Mycroft is introduced mysteriously, dangerously, is brilliant. And it's so much fun when we're later told that he's Sherlock's brother.

John's character has been discussed in this thread, and the way I see him in this episode is as a fairly regular bloke, with an attraction to danger that comes from his experiences during war - not that he liked the war itself, but he certainly misses the excitement, adrenaline, or whatever it is, and feels lost in the civilian world to which he has returned. Compared to Sherlock, he comes off as caring and human, though we don't get much insight into his interaction with other people. We just learn that he has a much better grasp on human nature than Sherlock does.

Sherlock is not totally lost when it comes to human nature, though. He is capable of suspecting that his own outburst is 'not good'.

• Like 4

Dinner? :sherlock2:

Are you actually going to remember to bring your wallet this time, or am I going to end up paying again? :watson:

Haha that was actually a good one! :)

It's been about two months since I've discovered the show. I've watched them all several times, have my favorite characters, favorite moments, and favorite scenes. DVDs ordered. Joined a nerd board, finally got deep into the mythology of the character, bought the soundtracks, etc, etc, etc.

Taking all that into consideration, I still keep coming back to A Study In Pink as my favorite episode. They've done some incredible work since, but this is still the episode I go to when I need a fix.

• Like 3

I do hope you meant nerd board in a nice way :lol:.

kB2cMll.gif

And I concur. The interaction between the two of them is just pitch perfect in Study, the case is good, and the whole episode is heartwarming to watch.

There is something magical about this episode, something very poetic about the way John and Sherlock walk away together at the end. I feel like quoting Casablanca: "This could be the beginning of a beautiful friendship." The perfect end of the episode, and the perfect beginning of the series.

I'm on board this bandwagon too!  There are elements of The Unaired Pilot that I wish they had left in Study in Pink, but all in all, this episode is tops.

Sacker, you will love The Unaired Pilot.  It's an extra on the DVD.

I do hope you meant nerd board in a nice way :lol:.

Absolutely.  ;)

Besides, how can I not dig a board that actually has a Picard Facepalm as a smilie?    :P 

• Like 2

Sacker, you will love The Unaired Pilot.  It's an extra on the DVD.

Looking forward to it, but a touch nervous.  On shows or films where I'm a huge nerd, I'm sometimes weird about altering the in-show world.  I'll watch it for sure though. 

It's the same reason I don't watch The Making Of... type documentaries.  I don't want the magic taken away.  I'm fine with shows about shows, like the Doctor Who series The Doctors Revisited http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/The_Doctors_Revisited   Those are interviews with cast and crew, but not about how they filmed effects and scenes.  In fact, I really like The Doctors Revisited because there are times when I need a dose of one era without starting an episode or two and I still get a bit of an escape.

There is something magical about this episode, something very poetic about the way John and Sherlock walk away together at the end. I feel like quoting Casablanca: "This could be the beginning of a beautiful friendship." The perfect end of the episode, and the perfect beginning of the series.

That may be the one scene that most solidified it for me.  Not so much the walking away part (which is fantastic), but the moments leading up to it.  When Sherlock starts to explain who the killer could have been, then realizes he's describing John and quickly recants.  I love the depth of that interaction. There is a trust there that is perfect.  A seriousness that will carry the show. That was the moment I was hooked.

• Like 1