Special episode, plus 3 episode series shooting in 2015!

Convict13

I think we aren't done with Marys past.. She has done SOMETHING related to moriarty, which made her meet John I guess. Yeah, she loves him, or else she wouldn't have cried that way, but she forgave Sherlock WAY to easily and was way to positive when he returned, and there is a reason for that, we just have to find it.

Forgave too easily ---- for what he put John through, you mean? Yeah, but she's on the outside looking in, easier for her to see things without the obscuring effects of high emotion. She aches for the man who was hurt, but she herself wasn't hurt.

Anyway, setting aside for a moment the possibility that she's faking her reactions ...  at that moment in time, she represents the audience. We're mad at Sherlock for deceiving John, shocked then amused at John's reaction, and end up feeling sorry for Sherlock and wanting John to forgive him. All the same reactions Mary has (including not liking the mustache!) :)

So the reason she forgives Sherlock and is positive about him is because that's what the audience (in broad terms, as a rule, mostly, generally, and not exclusively) :smile: wants; for John and Sherlock to be friends again.

Why the writers chose Mary to represent that point of view at that time, now that's another matter. I assume it's to make us connect with her early on. And obviously to fool us into thinking she wasn't a threat. But I'd be surprised if it's anything more than that.

Huh, it just occurred to me ... here we are talking about the theme of forgiveness again .... S3 is just laced with it!

• Like 4

We have a whole lot of representatives in S3, it seems.  Thanks for pointing out that Mary is "us" in portions of "Empty Hearse" -- that had not occurred to me.  Others have pointed out that S3 seems to be told from Sherlock's point of view, rather than from John's, as past series had been -- and since John is therefore unavailable, it could be said that Sherlock represents us.  But there's yet another "us" in S3, namely Anderson (and his fan club).

No wonder some of us are feeling a bit -- scattered?

• Like 1

LKDBwpv.jpg

This all just keeps boiling down to we don't know what the hell is going on, doesn't it?

“Paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, you can never have too much.”

― Thomas Pynchon

• Like 2

Well, I'm allergic to garlic, so just a smidgen goes a lo-o-ong way with me.  But that doesn't stop me from being paranoid when I feel that a logical analysis of the situation calls for it.

• 4 months later...

And this photo appears to have been released in connection with the photo of the script ... some doubt as to its authenticity, for some odd reason ... :P

TTInF5X.jpg

• Like 2

I feel like being back in school when our teachers handed out the exams upside down and we were not to turn the page around until everyone got theirs. While waiting, I always tried to decipher some of the letters shining through the page.

• Like 3

I feel like being back in school when our teachers handed out the exams upside down and we were not to turn the page around until everyone got theirs. While waiting, I always tried to decipher some of the letters shining through the page.

:rofl: That's exactly what I was trying to do just now!

Why is there a 'stache? And Sherlock's curls?! No.

And where is Sherlock's left shoulder? ;)

On Facebook there is a debate as to whether his left shoulder is hidden behind John's back (and that's just the lapel sticking up that we see) or whether he doesn't have one. For some strange reason people think this photo just might be photoshopped, can you imagine???? Who would do such a thing!?!?! :lol:

Radio Times (a reliable source) says those photos both came straight from Sue Vertue's Twitter account, which does appear to be the case.  And they've been retweeted by Sherlockology as well.  So yeah, they're about as real as it gets.

Well, I suppose my early guess on that is going to have to be something for a case that requires fitting in with a costumed crowd.  I'm going to completely rule out time travel unless Sue Vertue tweets a picture of the pair of them in the doorway of the TARDIS, and even then I'll believe that when I see it on the show.  :-)

• Like 3

Isn't it the special that's supposed to explain HLV?  Don't see how they could do that in a genuine period piece -- so yeah, I'm also guessing that they're dressed for a costume party or a play.

Alex points out that John appears to be wearing Martin Freeman's home-grown mustache.  If so, then John's real mustache (in "Empty Hearse") was Freeman's fake one, and Freeman's real one is (presumably) John's fake one!  In any case, it looks much better on him than that caterpillar did!

62791.jpg

I will say, however, that this photo really is "the last thing" I expected!  :D

• Like 5