Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted

 

Puns! Aghgh!

 

Oops!  Did I miss one?  :naughty:

 

 Posssssibly....? (scroll down...)

 

I love my obsessions. I think they are my version of Sherlock's cases.....

Oh, yes. Today I was buying groceries in a mart when my attention was attracted by pink cases.....

  • Like 1
Posted

...when you go to Michael's (craft store) and find the letter "S" in the cheap bins by the wall...and it looks old-timey, and you then start rummaging like a maniac looking for a matching "H" but can't find one... and you leave the S behind...

  • Like 3
Posted

...when you go to Michael's (craft store) and find the letter "S" in the cheap bins by the wall...and it looks old-timey, and you then start rummaging like a maniac looking for a matching "H" but can't find one... and you leave the S behind...

That is sad that there was no H. I might have bought the S anyhow keeping an eye out for an H that would work.

  • Like 2
Posted

Damn. I am agonizing over the Convention for days (and nights). In the end I came to conclusion that only the VIP pass would make sense to me. I have that money, haven't made real vacations for years... I can afford that trip. 

 

The problem now is that I am utterly terrified by the perspective of meeting all that people like at a drink reception. NEVER been to such a thing. Absolutely not my division. What to put on? What to do to avoid making an idiot out of myself? There will be press people for sure, photographers. It's like meeting the queen, dammit! 

 

I'm changing my mind like 5 times a day. 

 

drama.gif

 

bang.gif

  • Like 3
Posted

Definitely not the convention type for anything, except professional congresses, conferences and such-like, but, as a suggestion, J. P., why not try to be yourself, an unconditional, devoted fan? Although it might not be a good idea to use any bad language whatsoever.

In my little universe, it has come to exam times again, so there are classes which I see in less than 12-hour intervals. Everybody here will understand that I have changed my quip to, obviously, :"Did you miss me?" Fortunately, I have an Irish colleague, so we actually had some fun practising the cadence of the particular little thing, and it has proven effective in catching their attention, but I am still of two minds about hearing Moriarty in my mind from now until the end of May! :moriarty:

  • Like 3
Posted

Damn. I am agonizing over the Convention for days (and nights). In the end I came to conclusion that only the VIP pass would make sense to me. I have that money, haven't made real vacations for years... I can afford that trip. 

 

The problem now is that I am utterly terrified by the perspective of meeting all that people like at a drink reception. NEVER been to such a thing. Absolutely not my division. What to put on? What to do to avoid making an idiot out of myself? There will be press people for sure, photographers. It's like meeting the queen, dammit! 

 

I'm changing my mind like 5 times a day. 

 

drama.gif

 

bang.gif

 

Oh dear. You poor thing. I can't give you advice - have never tried this kind of thing myself and don't intend to, because the stress would far outweigh the fun for me. But perhaps it helps to remind yourself that all people, no matter how well known they might be or how good the stuff they have created is, are just people. Like you. Like me. Like all of us. Just people. As for the press, well, they won't be interested in you, will they? They'll focus on the closest thing to a celebrity they can lay their hands on and leave you in peace, I am sure.

 

As for what to wear, I'd go with something that you find comfortable and like yourself in. Nobody will care half as much about what you have on as you do, so I always think it's mostly important to please ones self.

 

Can't say anything about not making an idiot of yourself, because I do that constantly. Perhaps just accept that it's bound to happen and have a good laugh at the possibilities?

 

  • Like 4
Posted

Carol, you are absolutely right, thank you for your kindly advice, but you can put sugar in tea, so it gives you at least some added energy. The problem was the inaccessibility of solids in any form, as well as energy drinks, but visits to the toilet not, so it was the lesser of two evils. If it happens again, I will definitely go prepared, something with electrolytes at least! However, lightheadedness focuses the mind on the task at hand admirably.

  • Like 2
Posted

Okay, I did it again. 

 

My first tweet. Still don't get the system, but well...

 

CApBQp5WAAAXhXV.jpg

 

Just found out that you can make a picture clickable with a link attached. Click the pic. :)

  • Like 3
Posted

Thanks, TOBY. Comfortable? Well, I can hardly show in jeans and a cardigan at a reception, can I. :P Anything above that must be bought, and that is a horror of itself...

The other thing that brings me to the edge of panic is - what if I cant't go, when I get sick, the current airline strike looks like a warning about all things that can go wrong (well, I am Murphy's Law fan, obviously). What if, what if, what if... The damn tickets are not refundable.

  • Like 1
Posted

Dear J.P., surely Karstadt will have something appropriate for a coctail dress equivalent, if your budget stretches to that, or if you are in Berlin KDW, or Ulla Popken Selection will set you right. As for the Lufthansa thing, next week from Frankfurt at least everything read planmaessig for international flights. Above all, remember the slogan for The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy ( Martin Freeman was in the film) DON'T PANIC , or what the British contingent here would translate into Keep Calm and Carry on, although it leaves a bad Luftwaffe aftertaste in my mouth. Here's a :rose: for you!

  • Like 1
Posted

I am utterly terrified by the perspective of meeting all that people like at a drink reception. NEVER been to such a thing. Absolutely not my division. What to put on? What to do to avoid making an idiot out of myself? There will be press people for sure, photographers. It's like meeting the queen, dammit!

 

I can hardly show in jeans and a cardigan at a reception, can I. :P Anything above that must be bought, and that is a horror of itself...

 

My only comparison would be to science fiction conventions (and I haven't been to any of those in quite a while) but I bet they're pretty similar.  For the convention in general, I would assume that jeans would be fine, as long as they're clean and all.  That's what I'd wear.

 

As for the reception, no, this is not like meeting the Queen (unless perhaps if you're meeting Mycroft).  I haven't read the convention details thoroughly, but I'm guessing that some of the "guests" will be there?  I'd be more nervous about meeting them that I would be about the press (or the Queen, for that matter).  If I were going, I would probably wear jeans with an interesting top (e.g., my favorite cute little summer thingie with my 221B Wallpaper pendant, or maybe my Wallpaper T-shirt).  There will probably be all sorts of outfits present, so you're bound to fit right in, regardless.

 

Has anyone here already been to one of the cons that this company puts together, specifically the receptions?  Any observations regarding typical wardrobe?

  • Like 1
Posted

I think it would depend on your level of comfort...For me, were I to be going, I would be uncomfortable in anything that resembled cosplay.  I would be "clean" of any fandom items when meeting the guests.  No buttons, no scarves, no specially printed t-shirts.  I prefer my inner geek to stay inner.

  • Like 1
Posted

Thanks, TOBY. Comfortable? Well, I can hardly show in jeans and a cardigan at a reception, can I. :P Anything above that must be bought, and that is a horror of itself...

 

The other thing that brings me to the edge of panic is - what if I cant't go, when I get sick, the current airline strike looks like a warning about all things that can go wrong (well, I am Murphy's Law fan, obviously). What if, what if, what if... The damn tickets are not refundable.

 

Remember, you are doing this for fun and paying a lot of money for it. Maybe you should focus more on how to get the most enjoyment out of it for yourself instead of how to make a good impression.

 

Shopping for clothes is a bother, I know. I still say wear what you feel good in. I've never been to any kind of fan convention, but the photos I've seen never looked as if it was anything formal.

 

The pilot strikes are annoying. If you want to be safe, choose a foreign airline. The last I heard only the German ones were having problems. As for getting sick, well - don't. :P Sorry. I know exactly what it is like to worry about all sorts of what ifs (that's basically what I do all day and what keeps me awake at night), but I also know how futile that is.

 

If you end up going and everything is well, do tell us how it was!

 

  • Like 3
Posted

I wonder if a sheet would do? phil_12.gif

 

A dress? Well, if you have 2-3 sizes difference between upper and lower part of your body it is always a problem. A lumberjack in drags - that's what I look like in a dress. 

 

I think plain trousers will do with a top - looked at some pics of Sue Vertue for advice - we share the body type, but I'm a bit more extreme. 

 

 

If I was a man I would probably let make me a tie with the wallpaper pattern. But I'm a bit too old for crazy fan attire. 

 

All is arranged, BTW. Still have to decide how to go to the airport. And fully realize what I have done...

 

Didn't sleep good that night though. Dreamed about bodies in fridges. thcrazy.gif

  • Like 3
Posted

Hey, congratulations! :applause: Keeping fingers crossed that all goes well and you'll be having a blast :smile:.

 

As for attire, are you aware that Ulla Popken, which Inge already suggested, has a nice web shop? I detest going shopping for clothes, so it's a godsend for me.

  • Like 2
Posted

Dear Caya, above all, they are masters in covering up odd body shapes, I really think an Ulla Popken layered top with suitable tailored trousers from the Selection section will look presentable and suitable, but I think I mentioned above that unless I h a v e to go to a conference, congress or convention which are linked to the job and absolutely unavoidable, I tend to react a bit like our favourite character : there will be people there! Actually, lots of people talking at the same time in great big venues, like the Intecontinental Hotel Ballrooms; although I can't complain about the one in Vienna last year. Sachertorte, the actual freshly made one with a cup of hot chocolate (no cream, too sinful!) were heavenly and would have sent even our sweet-toothed Sherlock into bliss!

  • Like 2
Posted

Hah, we even have Ulla Popken shop here, but it was as useless as the rest of the shops. I will pay a visit anyway. :)

 

Yes: people! 

 

But I survived a 3 days of a Doll Fair in Lyon last October, very noisy and very poorly ventilated. Since (recently) I know what my problems are in such situations - there is always hope. Keep calm and don't bite Mofftiss.

  • Like 4
Posted

Yes: people! 

 

But I survived a 3 days of a Doll Fair in Lyon last October, very noisy and very poorly ventilated. Since (recently) I know what my problems are in such situations - there is always hope. Keep calm and don't bite Mofftiss.

 

 

You should have that on a T-shirt!  :D

  • Like 4
Posted

When you work your way through the Sherlock main cast in Mii format (my son wants me to do Lestrade the next time we're at our friends' house & I haven't found a good Moriarty-esque hair yet, but I might show one of his Mii's as it has an uncanny resemblance to Benedict's wife Sophie without even trying).

 

Mycroft

IMG2059.jpg

 

Sherl (to distinguish from my Sherlock and I made the hair closer to Benedict's auburn with the Sherlock style)

IMG2062.jpg

 

Molly (none of the pony tails looked good on her)

IMG2079.jpg

Posted

When you see this:

 

IMG2080.jpg

 

And wonder how it applies to Sherlock (that was me on Saturday while eating dinner totally forgetting that I'm not supposed to be eating the fire sauce).

Posted

Been oil painting today.  Managed to cover a 16x20 canvas.  Nothing Sherlock related.  Feels good to paint again, tho.  

  • Like 3
Posted

When you see this:

 

IMG2080.jpg

 

And wonder how it applies to Sherlock ....

 

How it applies to Sherlock?  That's easy -- "I will burn the heart out of you!" :moriarty:

  • Like 1
Posted

 

When you see this:

 

IMG2080.jpg

 

And wonder how it applies to Sherlock ....

How it applies to Sherlock? That's easy -- "I will burn the heart out of you!" :moriarty:

The fire part sure, but would that also fit the spicy?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 36 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of UseWe have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.Privacy PolicyGuidelines.