Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hugo 7/10

 

I liked the mystery and all the nods to the silent movies.

Posted

I liked Argo too, that's about the rating I'd give it as well.

Posted

Arrival (7/10)

 

I like the slow build to the revelations, and feel grateful that I didn't really look at the poster before I watched because it would spoil one of them.

the spaceship

 

So much for slowly building it up (and it was good) but then show it in the bloody poster!

 

Great casts. Been a while since I see Forest Whitaker.

  • 2 weeks later...
Posted

Rogue One -- 7/10. I liked it a lot more than I thought I would, and thought it looked great. It looked more like Lord of the Rings than Star Wars, but I liked that it didn't try to just be a clone of the original the way "Force Awakens" did. And it was really fun picking out all the cameos from the original cast.

Posted

The Hunt, 8/10

 

A little Danish movie, with English subtitle of course, found it unintentionally in the plane because..grmbl.. they stop showing Sherlock.

 

Starring Mads Mikkelsen (he steadily climbs up to be my top favorite actor), it's quite slow burn drama but very well made, about a kindergarten teacher who faces accusation of sexual harassment.

 

It was a bit depressing, especially some scenes that I won't mention for spoiler (you'd know if you see it, no, not sexual).

  • 2 weeks later...
Posted

The monuments men.

 

The umpteenth WWII movie, but this time it was about the people who tried to protect art from the Nazis.

  • Like 3
Posted

What did you think of it? I'm afraid I was a little disappointed ... it's a subject near and dear to my heart, but I found it less interesting than I thought it would be. Not a bad movie, just ... maybe my expectations were too high.

Posted

War movies aren't my cup of tea, but I didn't mind this one. As a Belgian, I was proud that they included The Ghent altarpiece.

  • Like 2
Posted

I liked that film, I appreciated that they talked about a different aspect of war : the war that destroys not only people and buildings but also art, which is people's past and also a part of people's humanity.

  • Like 1
Posted

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children - 8/10

 

I watched that film because I didn't know what else to watch, but I liked it pretty much. The story was interesting and original, the only negative aspect is that it's too much, how can I say, impossible, unrealistic. But that's a fantasy film, so that's fine :D

Posted

I recently watched "Face/Off".  I've seen it before, but not in years.  It is the most ridiculous, over-the-top movie.  I don't even know how to rate it, lol.

Castor Troy (the terrorist-for-hire/bad guy) reminded me a bit of BBC Moriarty.  He's bored.  He's dramatic.  He shouts randomly and makes faces.  He makes light of death (and practically everything else).  He listens to opera while watching gruesome face transplants.  He dresses up like a priest to set a massive bomb, then twirls and rocks out to Handel's "Messiah".  He saunters irreverently into a chapel after a funeral, chanting in mock Latin.  He says things like, "Isn't this religious.  Ah yes, the eternal battle between good and evil, saint and sinner... But you're still not having any FUN!", full of casual sarcasm as he pulls out a gun and shoots at you.


tumblr_lxgu77v01m1r03eggo1_250.gif
tumblr_lxgu77v01m1r03eggo2_250.gif
tumblr_lxgu77v01m1r03eggo3_250.gif
tumblr_lxgu77v01m1r03eggo4_250.gif
tumblr_lxgu77v01m1r03eggo5_250.gif

http://lawyerupasshole.tumblr.com/post/15496201956

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Posted

:D

I remember enjoying Face Off though. It's so over the top but I think they both pulled it off. However, I watched it more than a decade ago, I may look at it differently now.

  • Like 1
Posted

Oh I never said I didn't like it. :D

Posted

I can't stand Nicholas Cage so that ruined it for me. :(

Posted

Oh, thank you! I thought I was the only person in the universe who doesn't "get" Nicholaus Cage! You don't happen, perchance, to dislike Meryl Streep as well?

Posted

Hm, I don't have an opinion on her one way or the other really.

Posted

Jim Carrey?

Posted

I don't mind his serious roles, like The Truman Show, but yea I don't get him otherwise - I never find wacky, stupid comedy all that funny. Though I admit I did like The Mask. You're not a fan? You have a fave actor?

  • Like 1
Posted

You're definitely not alone, Arcadia. I know quite a few people who can't stand Nicolas Cage.

 

The only actor I really can't stand is Matthew McConaughey. With most other actors it's just their roles I either like or dislike, but with McConaughey it's his whole demeanor that irritates me. But who knows, maybe there is a role out there I haven't seen him in that I wouldn't mind.

Posted

I remember I really really hate Ace Ventura, I don't like his other performance as well (although not as bad as Ace Ventura) but I kind of enjoying him in Eternal Sunshine of The Spotless Mind (maybe his only serious role?)

 

If we are bashing on actors :D, I don't like Will Ferrell as well. Ugh.. who else? Probably have a lot. Used to be annoyed with Ashton Kutcher but he kind of okay now, actually like his work in Butterfly Effect (anyone watch that? I rewatched recently, just realize that I always saw the Director's Cut version, there are other version/alternate endings out there), used to be annoyed with Ben Affleck but he kind of redeeming himself in The Accountant.

Ah! I don't remember anyone else, although I think I have quite a list. Tom Cruise annoys me a bit, and count me in for Nicholas Cage although I enjoyed some of his earlier movies.

 

Oh, I never get anyone's love for Denzel Washington. To me, he always plays the same person, same expression. Well, he is not bad, but I never get the hype that he is that good as everyone says.

Posted

I'm with you on the others, but I adore Denzel, I think he's brilliant. Did you see Glory?

 

I don't mind his serious roles, like The Truman Show, but yea I don't get him otherwise - I never find wacky, stupid comedy all that funny. Though I admit I did like The Mask. You're not a fan? You have a fave actor?

Other than BC and MF, you mean? :smile: And Denzel, of course.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 33 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of UseWe have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.Privacy PolicyGuidelines.