What other TV shows do you watch?

EvigMidnat

The tv show is very different to the comics, its less of a spin off and more that they just took the characters and made something new.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SherLOCKED123 said:

The tv show is very different to the comics, its less of a spin off and more that they just took the characters and made something new.

Ah, I see.  I hate it when people do that sort of thing.  They should just make up their own characters.

• Like 1

On 3/28/2020 at 4:16 AM, Artemis said:

I finished season 2 of Netflix's "Lost in Space" last weekend.

Boo.

I wanted to like it, I really did.  But the robots' (still unresolved) storyline bothered me, every episode was a "rush to rescue" episode, and the Robinsons themselves were neither as intelligent nor as morally admirable as I would have liked or expected.  It could have been good, but in the end, there just wasn't much to like.

I did like JJ Feild's appearance as the morally ambivalent Ben Adler.  But I have a soft spot for characters who seem good at heart but took a terrible turn somewhere and then redeem themselves in the end; especially when they are played by soft-spoken British men, lol.  And objectively speaking, his acting ability was a level up from most of the rest, which set him apart in a way that made the others seem a little bit amateur, which may not have been as glaring without him.  Whether that's a positive or negative, I don't know.

I may have to check this out.  I discovered JJ Feild in TURN: Washington's Spies (A VERY GOOD SHOW, btw!!  currently on Netflix) as Major John Andre and really liked him in that.  If he plays a morally ambiguous, messy character, I'd probably love the character (see: Loki, Ben Solo).

• Like 2

5 hours ago, sittything said:

I discovered JJ Feild in TURN: Washington's Spies (A VERY GOOD SHOW, btw!!  currently on Netflix) as Major John Andre and really liked him in that.  If he plays a morally ambiguous, messy character, I'd probably love the character (see: Loki, Ben Solo).

Yes!  I too discovered JJ Feild on "Turn".  Love the character, love the show!  I can't get anyone else to try it though, lol.

(Also enjoy characters like Loki and Kylo for the same reason.  :smile: )

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Artemis said:

Yes!  I too discovered JJ Feild on "Turn".  Love the character, love the show!  I can't get anyone else to try it though, lol.

(Also enjoy characters like Loki and Kylo for the same reason.  :smile: )

People really don't know what they're missing out on with Turn.  I've tried to get my mom, friends, husband to watch it and so far nobody has.  I watched it originally for Burn Gorman, whose character I LOVE...Major Hewlett ♥️.  But Simcoe was also fantastic, and Andre broke my heart. 

I think the first season of Turn is probably the slowest.  Still good, but I really think it picks up steam from season two on.

• Like 1

On 6/27/2020 at 11:30 PM, sittything said:

I watched it originally for Burn Gorman, whose character I LOVE...Major Hewlett ♥️.

Major Hewlett was my fave!  Love him.  I didn’t like him much in the first season, but then he went and surprised the heck outta me in season 2.

On 6/27/2020 at 11:30 PM, sittything said:

I think the first season of Turn is probably the slowest.  Still good, but I really think it picks up steam from season two on.

I agree.  For me the first season was just good enough, and I mostly kept watching because the subject matter was interesting enough to give it a fair chance.  I'm glad I stuck with it, because it took a turn (haha) in season 2 and just got better from there.  It's unfortunate that the first season wasn't quite as captivating, it probably lost a lot of viewers who gave up too soon.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I don't care too much for survivalist shows generally, but I really like "Alone" on the History Channel.

"It follows the self-documented daily struggles of 10 individuals as they survive in the wilderness for as long as possible using a limited amount of survival equipment.  With the exception of medical check-ins, the participants are isolated from each other and all other humans.  They may "tap out" at any time, or be removed due to failing a medical check-in.  The contestant who remains the longest wins a grand prize of $500,000."

For me it's quite a relaxing show, not too gimmicky, and it's interesting to see how they handle the isolation and adapt their survival techniques to their surroundings.

The current season (7) is running now, and previous seasons are up on Netflix, Hulu, and Prime (I think).  Probably elsewhere as well.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Artemis said:

I don't care too much for survivalist shows generally, but I really like "Alone" on the History Channel.

"It follows the self-documented daily struggles of 10 individuals as they survive in the wilderness for as long as possible using a limited amount of survival equipment.  With the exception of medical check-ins, the participants are isolated from each other and all other humans.

That does sound interesting.  What I really don't like -- or at least assume that I would hate -- is those group "survival" shows where people get voted out.  I've never seen one, but judging by the ads they're nothing but a lightly-camouflaged popularity contest with soap-opera overtones.  Is that what you're referring to when you say you don't generally like survivalist shows?

18 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Is that what you're referring to when you say you don't generally like survivalist shows?

That’s one kind, although I wouldn’t even really put shows like that (e.g. “Survivor”) in the survivalist category.  They’re more like game shows/popularity contests.  I was thinking more along the lines of “Naked and Afraid”, “Alaskan Bush People”, “Mountain Men”, “Survivorman”, etc.  There are tons of them, it’s apparently a very popular subject.  But most of them I would consider to be either too gimmicky or not close enough to actual survival conditions, even if they’re entertaining.

• Thanks 1

Did I see what I see?? This morning I was rushing and a trailer somehow appears between, Lucifer season 5!!!!

I'm weary on where the story will go, but if the writing is as good as season 4, I'm all for it,

not sure

about the storyline they seem to choose, but on the other hand, two Tom Ellis (Ellises?) on my TV????

• Like 1

Yup, and btw they've already confirmed that there'll be a Season 6, but that will be the last one.

Trailer for 5:

• Like 1

On 7/14/2020 at 1:57 PM, Caya said:

Yup, and btw they've already confirmed that there'll be a Season 6, but that will be the last one.

Oh great, I like it when they know the 'deadline', it allows better writing. And I don't mind it to ends soon, going out on high note. In fact, I don't mind if season 4 is the last. Of course I want to see more, but I really hope they do it right. Actually, for anyone who hasn't seen Lucifer, this trailer looks a bit trashy with so much flesh, I hope they don't get wrong idea.

On 7/11/2020 at 8:58 PM, Artemis said:

That’s one kind, although I wouldn’t even really put shows like that (e.g. “Survivor”) in the survivalist category.  They’re more like game shows/popularity contests

My confession is, I like watching Survivor. I'm not always happy with what they are doing, especially when it's being gimmicky, what I really enjoy is the strategy. It has meticulous level of playing, one of the most difficult games and I enjoy the psychology and 'the art of war'. It allows viewer to analyze the game, what ifs, alternate strategy, how to plan and deal with opponents, and it's never the same for every person.

1 hour ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

for anyone who hasn't seen Lucifer, this trailer looks a bit trashy with so much flesh, I hope they don't get wrong idea.

Don't recall noticing that -- I was more concerned about how loud it was.  That sort of thing tires me out.

• 1 month later...

Watched the last season of Orange is the new black during lockdown, I cried, not because it was the final season and I had to say goodbye to my favourite characters, or because my favourite character died but because in the last season it had an inmate in a ICE containment center, I've always found its existence horrifying but seeing an inmate ending up there made it more heartbreaking, and I just don't get it.

The universal declaration of human rights states that you have the right to travel and to seek asylum, yet we let a bunch fascists dictate that if you didn't come to their country a certain way you won't be granted asylum. Because otherwise your country gets "invaded", those racists literally believe that when POC claim that they want to be treated equally it's a lie and they actually want revenge for how they were treated and start suppressing us , it's just nonsense.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Without spoiling for others, maybe in spoiler box, who is your favorite character that you mentioned?  I watched all season of OITNB, I like earlier seasons but there are a lot of realism in the later seasons. Some are very difficult to watch but again, it happens in real world, it's not only for major plot points, but simpler and smaller ones too. The other thing I like from OITNB is the realistic looks of the cast, in all shapes and forms, we get so used to glamorous everyone looks good show that it's refreshing to see.

Another show I had watched, Lucifer 5A. I was having difficulty streaming it at first, and for some curious reason, it always stuck on the scene at episode two with Tom Ellis's naked butt, talking about Devil's power! It makes me considerably less mad that it didn't stream well. :-) 

So far, I'm not liking it as much as earlier seasons, I think the plot is weak and some storylines are repetitively annoying (Maze's) but consider that it's half the season, it probably picks up at the later part, which is why I think they shouldn't separate it. It works for Breaking Bad, but that is different show. Having said that, there are enjoyable funny moments and as usual, TE is brilliant that I can recognize Michael, without being spoilery I hope.

New show that I watched; Upload. Anyone seen this?

It's from the same creator as the office, I was interested because of that and the concept.

Overall, I find it quite intriguing, although it's very similar with one of Black Mirror episode (or multiple) but I have problem rooting for the characters, I find them a bit meh.

It has very funny moments, but I found the storyline is a bit annoying for the two main characters, and so does the music that goes to it. There are a lot of blaring piano music that supposed to make me feel romantic but it makes me constipated instead, anyway, it fails to make me ship the characters, but yah, romance, pfft, it ruins a lot of plot, but maybe it works for others. 

The other show that I watched, The Purge! I'm very sure most of you will hate it, but I enjoyed it, will talk more when I have time. Gotta go.

So, The Purge

One of the genre that I quite like is Crime/Thriller, not Horror, I hate it when they mix it up. I guess to me horror is supernatural, Crime is not. And I like dystopia.

I have just found out about the series after browsing around and intrigued with the description. For those who don't know, the purge refers to future America with a new holiday, the purge night.

For the period of 12 hours, all emergencies are suspended and all crimes are legal, including murder. It claims that giving people opportunity to purge, to get rid of their anger and agression make the rest of the year a better world, with very low crime, better economy and society. This is set solely in America with the rest of the world not having this.

I know, it sounds like something horrible to watch, if you expect violence, well, that is a given, but what makes me interested is there are  lot to explore from this. Why what how, how if the claim of right and freedom are taken to the next level? How if there is manipulation agenda? How if human are not restricted at all to do what they want? What if there is a way to act on pet peeves, a way to revenge, a way to punish?

I find it very intriguing, especially the background of how the idea was born. It's from a comment of the creator's sweet wife after their dangerous incident with a drunk driver, that if there is one day you can get rid of those people.

Currently I have finished the TV series, which is where I started. Not so keen of season 1, because I don't like almost all the characters, but it's new for me, the premise is interesting, but Season 2 is really my forte, where they explore the rest of the 364 days too. Too bad it is cancelled, not sure why because Season 2 is very good imo.

It started with movies, had only watched the first so far and catching up.

So if you are interested with the decription and could stomach grim here and there, you might like this. I found how frightening it is to be in the world that the sirene commencement always creeps me out.

2 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

Not so keen of season 1, because I don't like almost all the characters, but it's new for me, the premise is interesting, but Season 2 is really my forte, where they explore the rest of the 364 days too.

Ditto.

I started watching the show because I was very bored and there was nothing else on.  I was nervous about it, because I don’t like seeing torture or rape, and I was afraid it would be chock full of either or both.  I did end up fast-forwarding through a couple scenes, but it really wasn’t too bad.  Season 2 was better than season 1.  I would probably watch a 3rd season if they made one, but I don’t have strong feelings about it being cancelled (which I did not know until just now).

I haven’t seen the movies.

11 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

the purge refers to future America with a new holiday, the purge night.

For the period of 12 hours, all emergencies are suspended and all crimes are legal, including murder. It claims that giving people opportunity to purge, to get rid of their anger and agression make the rest of the year a better world, with very low crime, better economy and society.

That sounds like the original Star Trek episode "Return of the Archons," only they called it "The Festival" and "The Red Hour."  The rest of the time, the local folks were pretty boring.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Artemis said:

It also reminds me of “The Lottery”.

Hmm, yeah, kinda.  *shudder*

Though in Shirley Jackson's story, the violence was one very specific ritual, based on long tradition, whereas in both The Purge and the Star Trek episode, it seems pretty ad lib.

On 9/26/2020 at 9:53 AM, Van Buren Supernova said:
Without spoiling for others, maybe in spoiler box, who is your favorite character that you mentioned?  I watched all season of OITNB, I like earlier seasons but there are a lot of realism in the later seasons. Some are very difficult to watch but again, it happens in real world, it's not only for major plot points, but simpler and smaller ones too. The other thing I like from OITNB is the realistic looks of the cast, in all shapes and forms, we get so used to glamorous everyone looks good show that it's refreshing to see.

I know it sounds weird but Pensatucky, she started to grow on me after she stopped being a zealous bigot.

On 9/26/2020 at 9:53 AM, Van Buren Supernova said:
Another show I had watched, Lucifer 5A. I was having difficulty streaming it at first, and for some curious reason, it always stuck on the scene at episode two with Tom Ellis's naked butt, talking about Devil's power! It makes me considerably less mad that it didn't stream well. Sherlock_Smiley.png.  So far, I'm not liking it as much as earlier seasons, I think the plot is weak and some storylines are repetitively annoying (Maze's) but consider that it's half the season, it probably picks up at the later part, which is why I think they shouldn't separate it. It works for Breaking Bad, but that is different show. Having said that, there are enjoyable funny moments and as usual, TE is brilliant that I can recognize Michael, without being spoilery I hope.

Can you tell me what you thought of the mid-season final? I need someone to scream about it.

Feel free to scream at me as well, I've seen it too. :smile: Though I feel more like groaning, about [redacted for spoilers but really, you know who I mean]'s tendency to join forces with every villain who just happens to pass by. :rolleyes:

On 9/27/2020 at 5:31 PM, Fantasy Lover said:
  Hide contents

I know it sounds weird but Pensatucky, she started to grow on me after she stopped being a zealous bigot.

In box:

Yes, I also have grown to like her better season 2 and after, her friendship with Boo, and her arc is generally growing better by time progress. So yes, I feel you, that is quite out of the blue and kind of not going along with her development, especially when she develops more bonds while trying to achieve her goal. It feels like sudden, a bit out of character, it's final season, let's do something, a death, let's kill a main character. They are totally making her death just as the final plot device.

The story line that is quite sad for me is Red, from someone so menacing in season one. I have to admit it's been awhile, I'm forgetting a lot of details, I think Sophia's, when she was forced to be in the SHU and denied her medication is messed-up but I suppose very realistic, so is the 'Martha Stewart' storyline. The character that I quite like was initially Gloria, no BS attitude, but then the bad-ass Frida.

because in the last season it had an inmate in a ICE containment center, I've always found its existence horrifying but seeing an inmate ending up there made it more heartbreaking, and I just don't get it.

The universal declaration of human rights states that you have the right to travel and to seek asylum, yet we let a bunch fascists dictate that if you didn't come to their country a certain way you won't be granted asylum. Because otherwise your country gets "invaded", those racists literally believe that when POC claim that they want to be treated equally it's a lie and they actually want revenge for how they were treated and start suppressing us emoji19.png, it's just nonsense.

•  

Sadly, it's very real everywhere in the world, even in another context too, we see it happened with 'legal' people as well. What terrifies me is that what happened to

Poussey

, while it was relevant in the past, it's even more so now.

On 9/27/2020 at 5:31 PM, Fantasy Lover said:

Can you tell me what you thought of the mid-season final? I need someone to scream about it.

On 9/27/2020 at 7:27 PM, Caya said:

Feel free to scream at me as well, I've seen it too. :smile: Though I feel more like groaning, about [redacted for spoilers but really, you know who I mean]'s tendency to join forces with every villain who just happens to pass by. :rolleyes:

(My take could be on spoiler territory)

Actually, because I was feeling uncomfortable quite a bit about whole 5A's weak plot line I feel:     1.okay maybe with this we could get more unique and creative plot like some of previous seasons I really like and      2.This issss a very thin line, it would be so easy to mess whole thing up, and is this too early? It probably fits final season (6?) better, or maybe, I don't need to see him at all because it could get really weird. Having said that, I enjoyed whole season two with Her and that one episode with 'Him' (not sure season 1 or 2) so I would give it a chance, especially when it's half to go. (I hate musical, but if they give me another rendition of TE with Creep I'll be more on board. 

I don't remember being upset, actually crackled at TE's expression and liking the earlier season of 24 (season2 or 3??) I enjoy him and Amanediel (sp) getting back together in the screen.

So, do tell us what do you want to scream about.

P.S. Sorry my post format is a mess.

• Like 1