Has the DVD been released anywhere yet?  It won't be available from Amazon for almost a week.

I just saw the Star Trek: Into Darkness dvd in my local supermarket... I didn't buy it. Yet.

We pre-ordered ours on Amazon UK when it was first announced.

STID.jpg

No, but it's been available on iTunes and other places for a while now afaik, and they probably got the same bonus scenes as the DVD.

eta: YouTube to the rescue! Neutron cream prank starts around 28:15.

The bonus material is alrready a bit of a controversy.  Apparently, there are a LOT of ec xtras but only some of the US released DVDs have them.  Some have one, some have something else.  According to one of my Google alerts, only Target is selling the DVDs with complete extras.

BTW, Carol, you shouldn't have to wait any extra shipping days from Amazon.  I don't want to promise anything, but these normally go out to the post office with delivery date instructions so they get into your mailbox on the release date. 

Caya!  Thanks for o posting the gifs and the YouTube link!  And that's the thing - regardless of what comes on the DVDs we've all seem to have preordered, we'll be able to find it all online sooner or later! 

Um...  BTW, starting September 10th - I'm going to be WAY TOO BUSY to post here for a while. 

That bonus material situation sounds suspiciously like they're planning to release a special or limited edition 2DVD set at some later date that has all of them. Ah well, time to stop kidding myself that we won't buy that one, too, same as 2009 :rolleyes:.

Hope your reason for being too busy to post here is of the good work-related kind, Julia Mae - at any rate, best of luck to you in your endeavour!

eta: Incidentally, is everybody aware of the existence of Download Flash and Video (I'm sure there are similar add-ons for Chrome, this one's for Firefox)? Easy to use and works with YouTube. Note that I'm merely pointing out its existence ;); choose for yourself what you do or don't with it.

The bonus material is alrready a bit of a controversy.  Apparently, there are a LOT of ec xtras but only some of the US released DVDs have them.  Some have one, some have something else.  According to one of my Google alerts, only Target is selling the DVDs with complete extras.

Growwfff!!  And here we are, all pre-ordered!  Do you know if there's any way to tell which DVDs are which (without opening the package and voiding one's return options)?

BTW, Carol, you shouldn't have to wait any extra shipping days from Amazon.  I don't want to promise anything, but these normally go out to the post office with delivery date instructions so they get into your mailbox on the release date.

Oh, you're right -- I'm so used to ordering from Amazon UK that I forgot!

Um...  BTW, starting September 10th - I'm going to be WAY TOO BUSY to post here for a while.

Hopefully that's good busy!  We'll be here whenever you have time again.

Hope your reason for being too busy to post here is of the good work-related kind, Julia Mae - at any rate, best of luck to you in your endeavour!

Context, guys, context!!

My pre-ordered STID DVD will be in my house ten minutes after the store opens.  Where will I find time to post on forums when I will be watching STID 24/7 - I may sleep occasionally.

(As to the other: my preliminary reader feedback was good, but I get a detailed report in a few days.  I already decided to change the name, cut some material, add some other material and reshape the first half.  Nothing is more valuable than a good critic!)

But it will have to wait while I WATCH STID 100 TIMES!!

saveher.JPG

I realize you're all busy with your DVDs at the moment (ours are still on their way :angry: ) but I found this really sweet compilation of photos, of the old and new actors together, made in honour of Star Trek turning 47. Happy (belated) birthday, Star Trek!

• Like 1

Yup, we got our DVD in Tuesday's mail, just as Julia Mae predicted we would.  :)

Darned thing appears to have precisely ZERO special features, though!   :angry:

Love those photos, Martina!  I thought you meant comparative shots of their respective characters, but it's recent shots of the pairs of actors together.  I particularly like -- aw, heck, all of 'em!

Haven't received my DVD yet, but it's been shipped so hopefully soon. Thank you so much for those shots Martina so very nice to see the characters and their counterparts together.

Yay! Received my copy of Star Trek: Into Darkness today! Downside, it's not a 2 DVD set. No extras, which means, at some later date I'm going to have to spring for another copy. What we put ourselves through for these people! But, inside, I'm still doing a happy dance.

The extras on the 2009 DVD were pretty good, so if they do put out an edition of this one with more than just the movie, of course we'll get it.  *sigh*  That's what we get for pre-ordering this one, I suppose.  If we'd known it would have no extras, we'd probably have waited.

Speaking of the 2009 extras, I just loved it when they actually showed the instruments as they played those first few isolated notes of Alexander Courage's original theme music.  That music always kinda gets to me, but seeing it played (after knowing it so well for over 40 years) literally brought tears to my eyes.

I have watched the orchestral clips of both Sherlock and Lord of the Rings on Youtube. It does make a difference once you have actually seen the music being played as well as hearing it. I usually don't hear the music at all when I am watching a movie for the first time. It takes a couple runs through before the background stuff starts to register.

I think the only film I've seen at the cinema where the music has hit me in the gut and become an essential thing IMMEDIATELY was Gladiator. I came out of the film and got the cd asap.

Highlander I and Queen's A Kind of Magic doesn't really count.

Someone called ThatNordicGuy made a set of absolutely amazing photoshop merges of the old and new actors from STID/STII.

So next time someone laments that Khan looks nothing like the Khan of old, show them this :) :

lDxai9q.jpg

• Like 1

Zowie!!!  :o

Gonna have to let his page download for a few years (blazing along at 38.6K today) so I can see the rest of 'em!

• 4 weeks later...

Random question, do I need to have watched or followed Star Trek at all in order to watch and understand and enjoy the films??

I've never seen the series but I've been hearing great things about the films and wouldn't mind giving them a go.

If your asking about the JJ Abrams films, the answer is no, you don't have to followed the TOS Star Trek. Abrams takes the Star Trek Universe and turns it on its ear in the Star Trek: 2009 by changing the time line. To get a real sense of this, watch Star Trek:TOS [The Original Series] Space Seed and then the movie "The Wrath of Khan" then watch Star Trek: Into Darkness. Same characters, a whole different outcome.

I agree, Fox.  I think Abrams has done an amazing job of making the movie not only understandable but also enjoyable for not only original-series fans, but also people who've never even heard of the original series.

And that's a great suggestion for people who have enjoyed Abrams' movies, to see the history of the Khan storyline.  They might also enjoy seeing more of the original series, to see how the characters originated and developed.

• 3 months later...

just being pedantic, but the tribble actually plays a rather big role.

it alerts Bones to the fact that Khans blood regenerates and can save Kirk.

I don't think you need to

this mynameisSherlockHolmes22, this movie has been out for quite a while now. But yup, the tribble did contribute a lot, and not only that, it got a whole new lease on life.

I agree with both of you about the tribble!

As Fox says, this movie has been out a while now, and it does have a title, so I'm going to edit the title of this thread accordingly, so that new members will know that the thread exists (and older members won't be able to find it  ;) ) -- and also to avoid the implication that spoiler boxes are needed.

Yeah, the tribble's role was an important, but short one, and it only got one line, well squeak :). I meant cameo in the sense that it was an in-joke from the comics (where there were many, many more tribbles, as they are wont to be), much like that Gorn octuplets business from the computer game.