Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted

...In the abstract, I see that killing as something he can't ever come back from (which is kind of how BC talks about it in that panel). It's not that I worried about Magnussen for one second, but I did worry for what it would do to Sherlock, to know that he had done this.

Yesss!!!!!! Exactly! Finally, someone found the words to express what I think about it! Thank you! And I too have to believe that the motivations were deep and complicated, or the story just doesn't work at all for me. For me, it's got to be more than "Sherlock's a dangerous man who's capable of killing his enemies." That's so trite, if I want to see that I can watch almost any American action film.

 

Thanks for the link, I'm off to check it out now!

Posted

Well, what I think a lot of people will deny is that EVERYONE is capable of killing if they had to.  We might not kill for the reasons Sherlock did, but if it's kill or be killed, I will always do my best to be the survivor.  I hope I never have to find out.

Posted
Well, what I think a lot of people will deny is that EVERYONE is capable of killing if they had to. 

 

 

I completely agree that everyone is capable of it, but I think the real quibble in HLV is whether it was, at that moment, a necessity for Sherlock to make that call- as nobody else's life was in immediate danger. At least, for me, that was the problem with his choice. But then again, if I put myself in his shoes, he lives in a world of villains- and Moriarty was capable of manipulating him into suicide- so he knows how that sort of shtick ends, so to speak.

 

Edited to add: Having just though about it, perhaps when Sherlock saw Magnussen taunting John, he realised that John's violent impulses would be activated, and he would kill Magnussen and really Sherlock did it to save John from doing it, as he was the one who could get away with it.

Posted

Lovely thought, but it's not played as if such a thing ever occurred to John. Nor was it played, thank goodness, as Sherlock believing he'd get away with it.

 

Oh, I think there's a few people incapable of killing (quadraplegics come to mind). But I know that's not what either of you meant. :smile: I do genuinely believe there are some people incapable of murder, though. I hope I'm one of them. And I hope I never have to find out either.

Posted

Oh, I think there's a few people incapable of killing (quadraplegics come to mind)

 

 

How about using their communications device to order a hitman online?  :D

 

Lovely thought, but it's not played as if such a thing ever occurred to John. Nor was it played, thank goodness, as Sherlock believing he'd get away with it.

 

 

Yeah it does kind of fall apart there. I guess I was thinking maybe Sherlock was a few steps ahead and could see that if Magnussen was threatening John and Mary, that is what John would do (though I don't think MF gave any sign he was thinking of acting violently). I can't remember who was in possession of the gun at that point.

Posted

 

Oh, I think there's a few people incapable of killing (quadraplegics come to mind)

 

How about using their communications device to order a hitman online?  :D

Hey, no fair! Hiring someone else to do it for you doesn't count!!! (I think I just joined Boswell in the rabbit hole .... :blink: )

  • Like 1
  • 1 month later...
Posted

I'm not entirely sure where this quote is from, still trying to work that out, but I'm screaming over here:

 

“What is interesting is that initially no one thought what could be done, Molly & Sherlock, it was like a joke, but despite us, despite me and despite the writers, something happened in the last season and now we no longer laughed at the idea that yes, something could happen between them.”  - Louise Brealey

Posted

OK, it's apparently translated from some French article:

 

http://totheendoftheworldortime.tumblr.com/post/80158343786/molly-shows-us-that-yes-we-can-sometimes-be-a

 

And there is more to the quote:

 

Molly shows us that yes, we can sometimes be a fool in love, and it does not matter, it is not a shame. I remember at the beginning some people said she was like a “doormat.” Some characters are doormats, and it does not bother me to play this role, but I always thought Molly was more than that and she was a lot more. What is interesting is that initially no one thought Molly and Sherlock could be done, it was like a joke, but despite us, despite me and despite the writers, something happened in the last season and now we no longer laughed at the idea that yes, something could happen between them. It does not matter to me, but I think that is wonderful is that Molly is the power of the heart and the power of risk. She takes small risks, she sees. She sees the person who is buried in this eccentric character, infuriating, annoying and sometimes so rude. And that’s why the character works so well.

 

 

  • Like 3
Posted
 It does not matter to me, but I think that is wonderful is that Molly is the power of the heart and the power of risk. She takes small risks, she sees. 

 

 

I had read the abbreviated quote before but not the longer one which is very nicely put. I really like the small moments in the show where you get a sense that Sherlock is picking up on Molly's empathy, and even learning from it himself (though he still has many times when he does not)- but yes, for example, when he realises that he has upset her at Christmas, or in TEH, when he can tell from her look that he shouldn't make fun of the train guy.

 

I know Sherlock describes himself in TSOT ( which I just re-watched: it gets better every time ) as being sort of detached and unaware when it comes to emotion, but it's not always the case.

Posted

I found it interesting on Tumblr when that recent BBC Sherlock/Stella/Luther thing came out... some of the X-Files folks I follow (who watched the clip b/c Gillian Anderson) HATED Sherlock in that clip.  HATED.  Couldn't stand him.  They pretty much found him insufferable and annoying.  And while I was initially kinda broken up about it... like they hate my Sherlock?!  Wha?!... you know what?  He is insufferable.  That's who he is.  That's everyone's first impression of him.  And yet look at all the people in his life... Molly, John, Mrs. Hudson... who love him in spite of who he is and can see the good in him.

Posted

Ha! That's what you get on the internet when you're condescending to Gillian Anderson (I also love her, though to me Scully is much more likeable than Stella). But I think Sherlock rarely makes anything other than an obnoxious first impression- unless he's actively trying to charm. Then again, that kind of prickliness can also serve as a defense mechanism. Added to which, as when Sherlock is especially rude to that woman in TRF, there is something about putting people on edge that means you get a slightly more honest reaction from them, which might prove especially helpful to Sherlock as he does lack a little in emotional intelligence.

  • Like 1
Posted

Ha! That's what you get on the internet when you're condescending to Gillian Anderson (I also love her, though to me Scully is much more likeable than Stella). But I think Sherlock rarely makes anything other than an obnoxious first impression- unless he's actively trying to charm. Then again, that kind of prickliness can also serve as a defense mechanism. Added to which, as when Sherlock is especially rude to that woman in TRF, there is something about putting people on edge that means you get a slightly more honest reaction from them, which might prove especially helpful to Sherlock as he does lack a little in emotional intelligence.

 

I haven't watched The Fall yet, it's on my ever growing to watch list, but yeah... I can't imagine Stella even coming close to Scully for me.

Posted
I haven't watched The Fall yet, it's on my ever growing to watch list, but yeah... I can't imagine Stella even coming close to Scully for me.

 

 
She's still great in the role of Stella though. There are things about the show that are not perfect, but I consider it very well done in general, and worth watching (also, being familiar with Belfast, I get a little thrill from knowing the setting). Scully is just a really unique character (yay for the upcoming revival!). Gillian is great in Hannibal too.
Posted

I'm feeling really positive right now about Sherlock and Molly now.  I mean the odds just went from like .01%  to .1%.  

 

Agree-Agreeing-Captain-kirk-Chuffed-Deli

  • Like 3
Posted

 

I'm feeling really positive right now about Sherlock and Molly now.  I mean the odds just went from like .01%  to .1%. 

 

 

I have my fingers crossed for a moment in the special that could possibly be read as romantic but then again may not be. 

  • Like 2
Posted

Except for Setlock pics of Molly, I haven't seen any of her in any of the trailers.

Posted

I know, I can't decide whether that's worrisome, or a good sign they've got something special for Molly to do...

Posted

I'm negatively assuming Molly, and Mycroft, are not in it much... hence why they're not in the trailer?

Posted

Alas, I'm guessing the same, but I hope we're wrong.

Posted

2016... The year of Mollcroft? ;)

 

I also think both Mycroft and Molly will have little screen time, though usually they both get scenes that matter. I hope the special is no exception. I think Mycroft's but may definitely be some kind of twist in the plot, which would explain no pics, but not sure about Molly.

Posted

Hey, I went to see Victor Frankenstein just to watch Loo and Mark, and they were both only briefly in it.  While I'd hope for more than just bit parts, I'll take what I can get.  :)

  • Like 1
Posted

I love that Louise Brealey's credit in Victor Frankenstein is

'Sexy Society Girl.'

Mark's part was brief but I bet he had fun.

Posted

I love that Louise Brealey's credit in Victor Frankenstein is 'Sexy Society Girl.' Mark's part was brief but I bet he had fun.

 

I laughed when Mark died.  It was delightful to me, and I loved that they gave him the part they did... such an iconic scene... since he's such a horror aficionado.  

Posted

He looked so happy in that costume with the funny glasses! I did wish he had a line or two more, but what can you do.

  • Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of UseWe have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.Privacy PolicyGuidelines.