Introverts, how is your day?

On 11/24/2018 at 7:29 AM, Carol the Dabbler said:

here you live, are people generally expected to bring presents to house-warming parties?  If so, having more than one strikes me as just a bit -- excessive?  But maybe they're simply wanting to show everybody how nice their house looks now (before they tear it down and start over again)

I actually not very sure about the 'rules', can't remember if I've ever attended a proper house warming. My friends had some pot-luck back then, can't recall if it's house warming, we brought food or fruits. 

And when a bunch of us managed to find work overseas, the rest requested to gather at our house. Is it house warming? Probably, although we didn't intend it to be official. We cooked, and some of them brought small decoration items. I don't think we have officially invited people over ever again.

So maybe, we'll need to bring something, but I plan to work very hard to avoid it. The party will be at noon, we will be away on the weekend, but checking out around noon (only an hour drive) so we should find a way to hang out somewhere to avoid getting caught. Good thing that my mom is here, so I wouldn't carry all the burden, but I really don't want to go, especially because I wouldn't be able to leave early with excuses that I need to go home, so I have to wander somewhere and find a dog friendly place because we'll have the dog with us, which wouldn't be easy! Let me put all my thought, energy and mind into this mission.

I recognize face very well, I can recognize people with completely different hair and style, but not with names and where I see them. So it's not helpful but to confuse and consume my brain cells I suppose.

I added honey to my tea for the first time, and oh man... is it goooooooood!  I don’t particularly like honey (too rich for me), so I never tried it before.  I can’t believe all these years I’ve been drinking honeyless tea.

• Like 1

I'm not much of a tea person, but some years back a friend introduced me to tea with scotch -- just a teaspoonful per cup, so you can't really taste the liquor as such, but it really rounds out the flavor.

1 hour ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

...some years back a friend introduced me to tea with scotch -- just a teaspoonful per cup, so you can't really taste the liquor as such, but it really rounds out the flavor.

Sacrilege!!! 

I probably couldn't tell the difference. When I was in college, I was happily drinking my tea when I realized everyone was watching me just a little too closely. Turns out one of them had shaken a bunch of salt into my tea and they were all waiting for my reaction. I never did taste it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Arcadia said:

I probably couldn't tell the difference. When I was in college, I was happily drinking my tea when I realized everyone was watching me just a little too closely. Turns out one of them had shaken a bunch of salt into my tea and they were all waiting for my reaction. I never did taste it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Wise man said (well, this time it's actually Joey Tribbiani from Friends :P), "If you want to do something wrong, do it right."

I would have emptied the salt jar. :D

But no worries,, I actually hate pranks.

9 hours ago, J.P. said:

Tea with rum. It tasted quite good, but I had an allergic reaction to it (as to some wine sorts). I thought my nose will flow away. Waterfall in the middle of my face + continuous sneezing like never before. But the taste was okay. :)

So you are missing all those cakes with rum in it? Or is it okay? Because you know, you like Mycroft, Mycroft likes cake. There should be a law of nature somewhere around here.

Anyway, can't remember which thread, we talked about face recognition before. 

I have to say mine is not broken yet, eventhough I had only seen her in her usual faces. Recognized her almost right away although I went to Imdb to be sure.

tssp.jpg

This is 

Tilda Swinton, the ancient one in Dr.Strange and she starred in many other well-known shows. 

Nope, even after looking at the answer, I still couldn't tell who it was. 

Sometimes I have wild, out-of-the-blue notions, like, “Maybe I should go to medical school.”  And then I spend an entire evening Googling and watching YouTube videos with titles like, “Am I too old for medical school?”

My mom sent me a message last night.  It was a picture of her Christmas tree, and this: "Decorated my tree today while watching Hallmark Christmas movies.  Single life makes me very sad."

I'm sure there's a very simple but appropriate response to this that I just can't come up with right now...  I'm still sick and still have fog-brain.

I think your first impulse is the best approach -- say how beautiful the tree is, maybe thank her for sending the photo.  If you're planning to get together with her soon, you could say you're looking forward to that (or if that's too strong, just something like "gee, only a week till [whatever], see you then!").

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m not planning on getting together with her soon though (that would have made this easy, lol), and my worry is that she’ll be offended if I only say something about the tree without addressing her single life comment.  I don’t know what to say about that.

*Sigh*.  Well anyway, I had to say something because I was taking too long, and since I couldn’t think of anything else, I did just compliment the tree.  She didn’t respond, so she’s probably offended.  But I’m too tired to think about it anymore.

Whassup? My glasses broke, getting new ones will break the bank right before Christmas, I have a permanent headache because my spare pair is horrible, my winter coat is at the tailor's and he doesn't know if he can fix it. 

But I have a new job that I am loving so far and my shoes were full of chocolate this morning. So all in all, I can't complain. 

Your shoes were full of chocolate?! How do I get chocolate in my shoes? Do I have to leave a saucer of milk on the doorstep as an offering to fairies?

2 hours ago, Pseudonym said:

Your shoes were full of chocolate?! How do I get chocolate in my shoes? Do I have to leave a saucer of milk on the doorstep as an offering to fairies?

You need to celebrate Dec 6th as St Nicholas Day. Which is what we do in Germany. Santa comes during the night of Dec 5th/6th in this country and if you were good and cleaned your shoes, he fills them with the kind of little gifties and / or treats that you would put in an American Christmas stocking.

On the 24th, he either comes again, now called "Weihnachtsmann" (literally "Christmas Man" and most people don't realize that it's the same person as St Nicholas), or the "Christkind" visits your home while the kids are outside or at church (I think it's sort of a manifestation of baby Jesus so most families don't do a physical representation like with Santa), or you just get gifts from your friends and relatives.

This was my first year being St Nicholas ("der Nikolaus" in German) for my kid and it felt like a great honor. But my mom visited us yesterday and on her way out must have done her own thing because when I went to fill the little shoes before my offspring woke up, I found that my boots were stuffed already.

Or St N. is real. You decide what you want to believe. :P

• Like 5

5 hours ago, T.o.b.y said:

... my mom visited us yesterday and on her way out must have done her own thing because when I went to fill the little shoes before my offspring woke up, I found that my boots were stuffed already.

A mother is always a mother.  :D

When I was ten or twelve, I decided I was too old to be getting a basket of candy "from the Easter Bunny" so I told Mom that I wanted to help her prepare the baskets for my younger brothers.

I felt very grown-up while she and I filled the baskets.   But after I went to bed she must have heard me crying, because she came in and asked what was wrong.  I wailed, "I want an Easter basket too!"  And she said "That's OK, I already made one for you."

Good ol' Mom!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

A mother is always a mother.  :D

When I was ten or twelve, I decided I was too old to be getting a basket of candy "from the Easter Bunny" so I told Mom that I wanted to help her prepare the baskets for my younger brothers.

I felt very grown-up while she and I filled the baskets.   But after I went to bed she must have heard me crying, because she came in and asked what was wrong.  I wailed, "I want an Easter basket too!"  And she said "That's OK, I already made one for you."

Good ol' Mom!

Awwww, that is so sweet! Poor little Carol, I am glad your mother realized what was up. 

Finally mostly recovered from my illness, yay.  The cough is hanging on though.

• Like 1

Same here. Although I don't think I had it as bad as you did. Either way, hot tea with honey is still my mantra. :( 

• Like 1