Jump to content

What Did You Think Of "The Hounds Of Baskerville?"  

66 members have voted

  1. 1. Add your vote here:

    • 10/10 Excellent.
    • 9/10 Not Quite The Best, But Not Far Off.
    • 8/10 Certainly Worth Watching Again.
    • 7/10 Slightly Above The Norm.
    • 6/10 Average.
    • 5/10 Slightly Sub-Par.
      0
    • 4/10 Decidedly Below Average.
      0
    • 3/10 Pretty Poor.
      0
    • 2/10 Bad.
    • 1/10 Terrible.
      0


Recommended Posts

Posted

:rofl:    <--- My reaction to this latest discussion....

  • Like 1
Posted

Well, of course the show is called Sherlock, so it's about (duh!) Sherlock.  But when I read S&J's comment, it dawned on me that this particular episode shows Sherlock at his all-about-me finest.  Breaking Mrs. Hudson's heart is the least of it.  He throws a tantrum because no interesting cases have come in, then when he does get a client, he uses him as monster bait.  He uses his best (only?) friend as a guinea pig.  And then Mr. Know-It-All doesn't even solve the case, not really.

 

As I said before, he annoys me sometimes.  But I suspect that he's supposed to do that.

 

:lol:  That's how I deal with his faked suicide and his 2-year disappearance, actually. I get so angry with him, but I'm okay with that, because we're supposed to be angry. This is who he is!

 

Although, most of the time, he's just entertaining. Even when he's annoying.

 

And yes, it's all about Sherlock, in more ways than one. The show is all about him, and then his friendship with John (and I love that it is)... and Sherlock also feels that the world exists to serve him, doesn't he?!

Posted

Well, of course the show is called Sherlock, so it's about (duh!) Sherlock.  But when I read S&J's comment, it dawned on me that this particular episode shows Sherlock at his all-about-me finest.  Breaking Mrs. Hudson's heart is the least of it.  He throws a tantrum because no interesting cases have come in, then when he does get a client, he uses him as monster bait.  He uses his best (only?) friend as a guinea pig.  And then Mr. Know-It-All doesn't even solve the case, not really.

 

As I said before, he annoys me sometimes.  But I suspect that he's supposed to do that.

 

:D ... while what you describe is exactly the kind of behavior that makes me love him all the more. It's getting rarer and rarer, I fear - as I predicted some time ago, I am finding myself sighing fondly over the latest episodes and thinking "he grew up so fast!" :P

 

If they intended Sherlock to antagonize the audience, it didn't really work on me. I mean, I understand why he drives the other characters up the wall, but as he does so, I go "awww"...

 

  • Like 2
Posted

And I just laugh out loud :)

 

Anyway, Carol's reaction reminds me of my own when it comes to more serious situations. It all depends on that; the seriousness. I don't always find Sherlock funny - or at least not "exclusively" funny. Sometimes, my amusement is mixed with something else; anger, sadness... but that's one of the things this show does so well. It can be preposterous and hilarious at the same time.

  • Like 1
Posted

Sometimes, my amusement is mixed with something else; anger, sadness... but that's one of the things this show does so well. It can be preposterous and hilarious at the same time.

 

Not to mention scary, shocking, earnest, tender, etc.

 

By the way, I said that Sherlock annoys me sometimes.  Like when he uses John as a guinea pig.

 

  • Like 1
Posted

 

By the way, I said that Sherlock annoys me sometimes.  Like when he uses John as a guinea pig.

 

 

  I agree. Stamford should really have given John a heads up on that little quirk of Sherlock's.

Posted

:rofl:   I wonder if Stamford keeps a "body count" of how many of Sherlock's acquaintances come in looking not so well and thinks maybe he should drop them a hint. Then it's like: NNNaawwww

Posted

Yeah, maybe Stamford doesn't like John so much as we were led to believe! Doesn't Sherlock say something about all John's friends hating him? :D

  • Like 2
Posted

But his evidence was their uncomfortable body language.  Which means that they didn't like somebody in the room.  Wonder who?

 

 

The canon Stamford did warn Watson, by the way.

 

Posted

Carol, LOL.

Posted

 

But his evidence was their uncomfortable body language.  Which means that they didn't like somebody in the room.  Wonder who?

 

   Oooo....how very clever of you, Carol!

Posted

 

 

But his evidence was their uncomfortable body language.  Which means that they didn't like somebody in the room.  Wonder who?

 

   Oooo....how very clever of you, Carol!

 

 

:D  Wouldn't it be fun if Sherlock had deduced the right emotion, but towards the wrong person? Ha! After all, he deduced Molly's interest in a man in ASiB, but couldn't tell it was himself.

  • Like 3
Posted

Again, in the post-it-note game on John's stag night, Sherlock is asking questions about the name on his own forehead....his own....finally he laughs and says something like: "Got it, it's you.'  Talking about John...which it isn't.

  • Like 1
Posted

Oh, good one.  I never noticed how often Sherlock does that sort of thing.  He sees the clues but is incapable of applying them to himself.

 

  • Like 1
Posted

I liked this episode.

 

I liked the fact that Sherlock was confused and shaken up after seeing the hound *humanised him*

 

ok he was a tad mean doing that test on John but hey thats Sherlock :)

  • Like 2
  • 2 months later...
Posted

Having recently seen this again (and in spectacular quality - I should pay more visits to people with huge screens and superior speakers), it not only struck me how much I like this episode, but also what an impossible, insufferable "complete dickhead" Sherlock used to be before he "died". Oh my god. I still think the "Baskerville experiment" is one of the worst things I ever saw anybody do to a friend, and his alleged only friend as that. Any time you feel sorry for Sherlock in series 3 and long for the "good old days", remember that scene. John is certainly better off now and Sherlock at least did not deserve any better... And no wonder John still thinks of Sherlock as a sociopath who "doesn't feel things that way" and who wouldn't "bother protecting" anybody, because if he'd seriously consider his friend a regular human being who knew exactly what he was doing there, then he'd have to think him so cruel he couldn't like him at all. In my humble opinion.

  • Like 3
Posted

Having recently seen this again (and in spectacular quality - I should pay more visits to people with huge screens and superior speakers), it not only struck me how much I like this episode, but also what an impossible, insufferable "complete dickhead" Sherlock used to be before he "died". Oh my god. I still think the "Baskerville experiment" is one of the worst things I ever saw anybody do to a friend, and his alleged only friend as that. Any time you feel sorry for Sherlock in series 3 and long for the "good old days", remember that scene. John is certainly better off now and Sherlock at least did not deserve any better... And no wonder John still thinks of Sherlock as a sociopath who "doesn't feel things that way" and who wouldn't "bother protecting" anybody, because if he'd seriously consider his friend a regular human being who knew exactly what he was doing there, then he'd have to think him so cruel he couldn't like him at all. In my humble opinion.

 

 

I hate that lab scene -- it seems so unnecessary.

 

They'd have made far better use of the time (in my opinion) if they'd expanded the final scene by having Sherlock explicitly draw an inference from their first view of Frankland (coming out of the leaky pipes room wearing a gas mask).

  • Like 3
Posted

I hate that lab scene -- it seems so unnecessary. 

 

While I love it. I can't say why, exactly, but every time Sherlock proves he's got a few screws loose in the empathy area of his brain, I am hugely pleased.

 

  • Like 1
Posted

Its great you've got the chance to see this again!  I LOVE The Hounds of Baskeville...just truly, madly deeply love it.  :wub:

 

But yeah, I remember watching it and as it is revealed what is going on I was thinking "Oh no he didn't!"  You're right, poor John has been through a lot of emotional distress because of Sherlock.  But I think Sherlock realizes that now. (Although in his best man speech he does mention drugging John doesn't he?  Ha ha.  We can laugh because its Sherlock Holmes.)  For all John's been through, he turned out to be very lucky to have such a friend in the end.  No one could ever get a more loyal and selfless friend than Sherlock.  I'd say John's patience has paid off. 

Posted

Just noticed tonight that John volunteers the term aspergers in relation to Sherlock.  That's kind of what I would have thought from the beginning, although he doesn't fit all the classic symptoms.  He does fit some of the classic symptoms, however.

Posted

Thinking back some more, I believe John does see that Sherlock is upset, so he tries "talking sense" to him -- appealing to his intellect -- hoping that Sherlock will be OK if he just realizes that there could not really be such a monster.  Sherlock keeps trying to explain that he knows he couldn't be seeing it, but nevertheless he is seeing it.  Neither of them has ever dealt with this side of Sherlock before.  Finally Sherlock becomes so frustrated that he yells at John to leave him alone.  And John is frustrated enough that he does.

 

I feel like Sherlock is so upset because as a drug addict, he knows what a drug feels like, and he is sensing that although he can't put his finger on it.  The perception thing is really scaring him to pieces, probably not something he experienced in his drug using days.  I do believe he knows totally that he has been drugged.

  • Like 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of UseWe have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.Privacy PolicyGuidelines.