Jump to content

What Did You Think Of "The Empty Hearse"?  

122 members have voted

  1. 1. Add Your vote here:

    • 10/10 Excellent
    • 9/10 Not Quite The Best, But Not Far Off
    • 8/10 Certainly Worth Watching Again.
    • 7/10 Slightly Above The Norm.
    • 6/10 Average.
    • 5/10 Slightly Sub-Par.
      0
    • 4/10 Decidedly Below Average.
      0
    • 3/10 Pretty Poor.
    • 2/10 Bad.
      0
    • 1/10 Terrible.
      0


Recommended Posts

Posted

And here I thought that expression just meant he was miffed because he didn't win that round of the game. :p

  • Like 1
Posted

Sherlock's change of expression in TGG was explained in the commentary, and as for the personal threats, Mr Moffat alluded to them in the extra material to S2, both when he described the extreme reaction of the original fans of ACD to The Final Problem with the help of Mr Gatiss, and where he said that they would show Sherlock watching John at the cemetery but not explain any further.

Sitty proposed the rewatch, been there, done that! Maybe it's time to rewatch the commentaries of SiP, TGG, SIB, HOB, TEH and HLV and the extra material at the end of each series.

And what a bloodthirsty group : one wants the fight to last through three restaurants, another wants Mary actually getting violent, still another wants Lestrade punching Sherlock and even Mrs Hudson having a go with the frying pan. The last one, especially, would have seen the end of our favourite detective: people have been killed from blows to the head with the new, stainless-steel, anti-stick pans!

Because I'm an ACD fan, I cannot accept any of these interpretations, because Sherlock would have stood for none of them! Even the fight with John, I dislike, it shows Dr Watson in such a false light!

  • Like 1
Posted

Sitty proposed the rewatch, been there, done that! Maybe it's time to rewatch the commentaries of SiP, TGG, SIB, HOB, TEH and HLV and the extra material at the end of each series.

 

I'm all for a re-watch of the extra material.  That would be brilliant.  I was thinking about doing that anyhow.  (I've been counting down weeks to my next concert volunteering opportunity & to Hamlet so need something while I wait for the release of when the special will air.)

  • Like 2
Posted

I already did it! But I don't mind doing it again. Although I may not have much time for it, fall is busy busy season.

Posted

Oh, I'm all for re-watching the extra material plus the commentaries where they exist. In a nutshell, their views in them are the official version, the last word on the subject, so to speak!

  • Like 1
Posted

... or at least it's what they think really happened!  The characters may have different ideas.  ;)

  • Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted

A thought on the drive home: Mycroft called Sherlock from the performance of "Les Mis"!

And nobody wrote about it?!

He surely had to scare some Newspapers' bosses.  :rolleyes: 

 

Well, I had to have a look at the Source and notice two other things:

1 Sherlock's reaction meeting Tom: maybe he was just p***** off because Tom is taller than him? :P

2 As Sherlock and John watch the records from the underground, there is a take when you see them from inside the monitor trough it's surface and the picture that is mirrored. :blink:

Posted

I never thought Sherlock was p.o'd, just .... astonished.

  • Like 1
Posted

Or was it Ben that didn't like Mark being taller than him? :D

  • Like 1
Posted

I would, based on absolutely nothing, guess the latter.  I can't seem to imagine Sherlock caring about height.

Posted

This, concerning the man who takes care to pick short friends..... :lol4:

 

I just remember how competitive my brothers were about their heights. And my twin (boy) cousins. And my nephews... yep, I can totally see Sherlock resenting that one inch.....

  • Like 1
Posted

Oh gah, was that not Sherlock being in tongue in cheek about the short friend and coat?  lol

 

 

Posted

With Sherlock, you never know.....

Posted

Oh gah, was that not Sherlock being in tongue in cheek about the short friend and coat?  lol

 

My mother likes to quote an old saying, something to the effect of "Many a truth is spoken in jest."  That is, when people purport to be joking, they often say things they really mean but would never state matter-of-factly.

I can't seem to imagine Sherlock caring about height.

 

I can't imagine him admitting to caring about height.  ;)

  • Like 4
Posted

Just because - the peek trough the monitor:
 
the laptop monitor:
 
ln9skay6.jpg
 
The boys in front of it:
 
oe6jceyu.jpg
 
the boys from the "other side"
 
4spm3tge.jpg
 
I don't know why I get all omg.gif  about such details, but I do

  • Like 3
Posted

TEH is the only episode having Sherlock's thoughts as a voice-over.

Seems to be a part of the perspective-shift from John to Sherlock in S3.

 

Could be.  And note that So3 might as well have had a Sherlock voice-over, since we saw a lot of other things while hearing his best-man speech.

Posted

TSOT works with flashbacks, but as far as I checked - no voice-over.

 

Another observation: I wonder how far the reprimand for Mr Windibank (the stepfather who faked the online romance) was actually staged for Molly. Sherlock's natural reaction would be more like: "hmm... that's brilliant", don't you think?

Posted

TSOT works with flashbacks, but as far as I checked - no voice-over.

 

Another observation: I wonder how far the reprimand for Mr Windibank (the stepfather who faked the online romance) was actually staged for Molly. Sherlock's natural reaction would be more like: "hmm... that's brilliant", don't you think?

 

No, I don't think so. Because this case is based on a whole Sherlock Holmes story ("A Case of Identity"), and Holmes certainly did not seem to admire the stepfather very much or think his actions very brilliant. He didn't actually say the word "pisspot" but:

 

 

“The law cannot, as you say, touch you,” said Holmes, unlocking and throwing open the door, “yet there never was a man who deserved punishment more. If the young lady has a brother or a friend, he ought to lay a whip across your shoulders. By Jove!” he continued, flushing up at the sight of the bitter sneer upon the man’s face, “it is not part of my duties to my client, but here’s a hunting crop handy, and I think I shall just treat myself to—” He took two swift steps to the whip, but before he could grasp it there was a wild clatter of steps upon the stairs, the heavy hall door banged, and from the window we could see Mr. James Windibank running at the top of his speed down the road."

  • Like 3
Posted

Another observation: I wonder how far the reprimand for Mr Windibank (the stepfather who faked the online romance) was actually staged for Molly. Sherlock's natural reaction would be more like: "hmm... that's brilliant", don't you think?

 

 

He does give Molly a really significant look just before, but I actually thought it was because he thought she'd be appalled by the man. I think he knows her pretty well, and there are some ethical issues they would naturally agree on. Or, because they were having amazing subtext that was somehow over my head but still amazing.

 

Also, is he possibly just a bit nicer in general around Molly in this episode (see also, his apology for laughing at the train guy having a girlfriend)?

 

Thanks T.o.b.y for sharing that ACD Holmes quote. I have a set of his original works at home and have never made proper inroads into them, but the tasters I am getting on the forum (and from the DVD commentaries I've been listening to just lately) are making me want to try again.

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Posted

It's so un-Sherlock-ish to show compassion without hidden agenda...

 

 

For some reason this makes me think especially of the stag night, when he's drunk and he's listening to a woman's story of how she's been betrayed and he almost starts to get emotional for a split second and then looks so annoyed about it. Come to think of it, a lot of repetition in season three about people in love being betrayed when the object of their affections is not all they first seemed (or even not who they first seemed at all).

  • Like 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 162 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of UseWe have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.Privacy PolicyGuidelines.