Season 4 Moriarty Teaser

jesskayding

Yeah, the script has to pretty much be 99% there by the time of the read-throughs, but I have a sneaking suspicion that they are already tinkering on the scripts for S5 simply because they know where S4 is going and need to see plan the future archs. In fact, It wouldn't surprise me if they also didn't have S6 and S7 at least sketched out. It just wouldn't surprise me if all of S4 was already written and that they're just continuing to refine them, let them gather dust, look at them again, make adjustments, that sort of thing.

Yeah they said they're already in works for season five, just hadn't written it out yet. The following is just one of many articles. Also they stated that in a panel interview that either you or Carol shared with the forum.

http://screenrant.com/sherlock-tv-show-season-4-5-details/

• Like 1

Not sure who really started it -- several of us had expressed varying degrees of discontent with the episode, and then besleybean asked why, and then of course people started telling her.

Well, one could just as logically "blame" whoever it was that started bitching about the overall plot of HLV in this thread -- but I'm not gonna go back and see who that was, because it may well have been me!  :P  Besides, this is a conversation, not a formal debate -- so things do naturally tend to wander a bit, which keeps things interesting.  I wouldn't have bothered giving that discussion its own thread if it hadn't sort of taken on a life of its own.

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe this whole two-year wait thing isn't really due to the actors' busy schedules, but rather is Moftiss's clever plan to make sure we're so starved for another few episodes that we'll gratefully watch any old garbage. Not saying that Series 3 is garbage, mind you, just that it could be and we'd be unlikely to notice.

:rofl:

Oh, I'd notice, believe me... But after watching it ten times, I'd decide it was the best garbage imaginable and love it anyway...

Yeah this is high brow garbage, smells great, still in good condition, hay there are unused bananas in here! :smile:

I am most uncomfortable with this conversation.

BBC Sherlock is the best TV ever.

I don't understand people watching it if they don't like it.

It is the vision of Mark and Steven(who I respect hugely) and I love it.

And good for you :smile:. Being critical of some aspects of Sherlock, however, doesn't mean that one doesn't like it. Or (heaven forbid) doesn't have a right to watch it, for that matter. We bitch because we love :D.

• Like 6

We bitch because we love :D.

You put that very nicely, Caya... :P

And so far, no amount of complaining or criticizing has stopped me from re-watching the series over and over and over again. It's just fun to brood over, and when doing so, I can't help but notice that it's no more perfect than anything else ever made. Doesn't mean I don't love it... And it really is the best television ever, at least the best I have ever seen.

• Like 2

Excellent questions, and I kind of hope the broadcast was not just a plot to get Sherlock back. I know the alternative makes it too coincidental to be entirely believable, but I don't care. If this was a deliberate plot to get Sherlock to stay, it was a much too easy way of getting Sherlock out of trouble. I'd rather have that be a fortunate coincidence.

It occurred to me it could be someone's plot to get Sherlock back, but for the "wrong" reasons. If it really is Moriarty, or a Moriarty related character, it could be just a way to keep his favorite playmate around for the next bout of mayhem? Maybe see if he can turn him to the dark side? Oh, wait, that's a different movie.... :smile:

Also, if Mycroft is behind it for the purpose of saving Sherlock, why wouldn't he let Sherlock in on the plan? He knows Sherlock can act; he could easily pretend that he was going away for good. Of course, there's no saying that he wasn't pretending, and that Mycroft hasn't let him in on his plan, but that's yet another scenario I would hate.

I like the Mycroft scenario because in my head it becomes a cat and mouse between the two brothers, and that's something I'd like to see. Especially if Sherlock won in the end.

In this scenario of mine, Mycroft genuinely wants Sherlock -- but more importantly, the government -- to believe there's a threat, to divert everyone from the fact that Sherlock's escaped punishment. I don't know, it's not clear in my mind, there's just an idea in there somewhere that appeals to me. It sounds pretty stupid when I try to write it out, actually!

Not stupid really. Not at all. Right from episode one we learn that the two brothers are at logger head for what ever reason. Sherlock considers his own brother to be his very worst and archenemy. The most dangerous man John Watson will ever meet. Mycroft wants Sherlock to be on the same side as he is whatever that means. This may be Mycroft's attempt of getting Sherlock right were Mycroft wants him. If so it will be great fun to see Sherlock turn that table around and best his brother at his own game.

• Like 2

Now there's an idea I can get onboard with! So long as it's not Mycroft rescuing Sherlock, and nobody mentions it again. I'm a bit tired of almight Mycroft - though I generally love him, but mostly for his and Sherlock's sibling rivalry.

• Like 2

Yeah, something along those lines would suit me fine!

Now there's an idea I can get onboard with! So long as it's not Mycroft rescuing Sherlock, and nobody mentions it again. I'm a bit tired of almight Mycroft - though I generally love him, but mostly for his and Sherlock's sibling rivalry.

Although I love that ,Mycroft rescues his little brother. After all what are the elder siblings for.

Mycroft goes to great lengths to meddle in Sherlock's life and all too often it turns out badly. Mycroft needs to start seeing his brother as the man he is not as Mycroft wants him to be.

• Like 1

Are any of you the oldest sibling? Seems strange no one understands the feeling of protecting & correcting the younger ones, even when they get grown (Mycroft's situation). I often ask my little brother & sister, have you really thought that thru, or said things like, there will be consequences to that, ect... One time my brother was like you're not my momma.

The truth is when momma wasn't there, I cooked for them, made sure they had their baths, did their chores, I fought ( literally ) to protect my sister from a bully before. So it gets engrained in you, when you're the eldest to watch over them. And I got punished the most because I was the oldest, should be the most responsible & I was the example for them. So Yup!!!, I've earned the right to be all up in they business. <_<

I went on that little tirade to prove a point. Mycroft has earned it!!

• Like 1

I am a younger sibling. And even though I am a woman grown the oldest sibling of the family still tries to mother me. The problem is she doesn't seem to have a clue about just how adult I have become. I am a published poet, writer and actor but she doesn't seem to understand nor even respect my needs for space. If I'm not trying to make her happy then she isn't happy.

Yes, it is very evident that Mycroft does care and that he does know that Sherlock can be difficult. But, and this is important, Mycroft spends far to much time trying to use Sherlock as well. Mycroft knows Sherlock has some kind of standing in the Home Office, has made a successful career for himself and is trying not to be so self-destructive and yet Mycroft constantly embroils Sherlock in one kind of operation or another.

It's like Mycroft really doesn't "get" Sherlock either. Doesn't really see and respect Sherlock's own accomplishments.

I agree with both of you -- Mycroft clearly believes that (as Jess says) he's earned the "right" to supervise Sherlock, but (as Fox says) Sherlock disagrees!

I'm the oldest in my family, but Mom was just about always there, so I was never really expected to be a surrogate mother to my younger brothers.  However I do believe that our parents expected more from me (and gave me far less credit for my accomplishments).  And my baby brother claims I'm still bossy!

• Like 1

I agree with both of you -- Mycroft clearly believes that (as Jess says) he's earned the "right" to supervise Sherlock, but (as Fox says) Sherlock disagrees!

I'm the oldest in my family, but Mom was just about always there, so I was never really expected to be a surrogate mother to my younger brothers. However I do believe that our parents expected more from me (and gave me far less credit for my accomplishments). And my baby brother claims I'm still bossy!

That's true, any of our guardians would swoon over the accomplishments of the younger ones. Whatever belonged to you became theirs, simply because they wanted it or cried for it. You were expected to do the best, so there was very little praise. Well I would get attention for the drawings I did.

• 3 months later...

You have to ask yourself -who has the ability to put Moriarty on every tv screen in the country?

Mycroft, no doubt, but I'll be disappointed if it's him, unless it's for a stronger reason than bringing his brother home. Mycroft is a pillar of the British government. I can accept that he would use his influence to keep Sherlock out of prison, but would he set up something which would alarm his colleagues such as Lady Smallwood, creating a non-existent crisis to rescue Sherlock? He seems to be the perfect civil servant, wholly dedicated to his work. Would he jeopardise everything he had built up, by creating a fake threat for personal reasons? Seems improbable (though credibility doesn't seem to bother the writers!)

I can see that it is Mycroft's doing, because people, even the uber-rational type, tends to do things for the sake of loved ones. Illustration; people choose to enter the army for various reasons, one of them is to protect. It is hard to care so much about nebulous concept such as Queen and country. No, they are more likely to fight for the sake of people they care about. If what it takes to keep Sherlock out of the harm's way this time is to fake Moriarty's resurrection, some worm could do the 'appear on every screen', considering our virtually connected to each other's reality. Well-executed stroke I would say, played right on many people's fear of the 'Napoleon of Crime' reputation.

Next, he could arrange something to give substance to Moriarty's reappearance. Moriarty's death likely left a big gaping hole in the 'landscape', I find it hard to believe that Mycroft would not try to seize the opportunity by placing his own people in strategic places, waiting for instruction. Invent his own national threat and see people how would band together, might be even more power for him.  :applause:

• Like 1

I'm the oldest in my family, but Mom was just about always there, so I was never really expected to be a surrogate mother to my younger brothers. However I do believe that our parents expected more from me (and gave me far less credit for my accomplishments). And my baby brother claims I'm still bossy!

That's true, any of our guardians would swoon over the accomplishments of the younger ones. Whatever belonged to you became theirs, simply because they wanted it or cried for it. You were expected to do the best, so there was very little praise. Well I would get attention for the drawings I did.

Join the club. My parents are all about the baby. I just sorta live here.  <_<

I guess that's where a lot of Mycroft's resentment towards Sherlock comes from.

To be fair to our parents / guardians, they may have been totally ga-ga over us when we were too young to remember it now.  Plus, people tend to be more "by the book" the first time they do anything.  So it's presumably just normal human behavior for them to make a fuss over a new baby (just because it's a baby) and then to be less strict with them than they were with us.

But yeah, I can sympathize with Mycroft in that regard -- Sherlock strikes me a something of a spoiled brat!

• Like 1

A one-off special is due to be shown at Christmas 2015 with another series of three episodes to follow.

Well, I'm just going to sit here and listen to Sherlock audio books and be grumpy for another year. 

• Like 5